Gundam Wing Fan Fiction / Outlaw Star Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / Fan Fiction / Zoids Fan Fiction ❯ All Death's Children ❯ Chapter 10

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Warning: I dunno if I should up the rating or not, but there's some graphic scenes toward the end. As in very much implied rape. So watch yourselves, and DON'T complain to me if you're upset by it. The warning's not here for my sake, folks.

Chapter 10

The young prince stared out across the rocky, lifeless terrain, not moving an inch. While it was a wasteland, fit for little more than training, it was still his home. Someone-two of them, to be exact-had seen to that.

Without warning, the large boulder a yard away exploded, hurling rocks as big around as his head straight at the boy.

Beginning a motion that was almost frighteningly calm, the young prince drew his sword from its sheath, testing the weapon's weight in his right hand, before thrusting it into the ground. He would do this himself…without the sword…without his mother's watchful eye…as he did much of his training these days.

The rocks drew closer, bearing down upon him with a speed most bullets could only dream of.

The young prince closed his eyes, sensing their approach, rather than seeing it. And though he made no motion at all to do so, he simply willed that approach to cease to exist.

There was a series of explosions all around the boy, and dust wafted over him like a second skin. Slowly, he opened his eyes and let out the breath he'd been holding in.

"Sloppy," said a voice behind him. "And ultimately pointless."

The young prince sheathed his sword again and turned, his eyes coming to rest on the armor-clad figure perched almost lazily on the one boulder that still remained on the otherwise flat plain.

"I didn't know you were there, father," he admitted.

"No. You weren't supposed to," the king replied, a smirk forming on his face.

"What did you really think? Of my technique?"

The king snorted. "Is that what you call it, boy? I call it playing with dirt."

The young prince waited, his face impassive.

"Your guard was down, you had your eyes closed, and you didn't even DO anything."

The boy smiled. "Did the rocks stop themselves, then? Or did you-"

"You know perfectly well what I meant!" the king snapped. "You just stood there! You didn't lift a finger! I've never seen a lazier excuse for a warrior!"

"With all due respect, father," the young prince said, "how can I improve myself if I don't practice with all of my abilities?"

The king scowled. "That's not an ability. It's an excuse not to get your hands dirty."

"The less my mother has to clean me up, the better she makes dinner taste."

The king grunted loudly. "Your mother! Honestly! You're supposed to be a prince, and you're worried about what your mother thinks!"

"And why not, father?" the boy asked with a slight smile. "We both know she's more than worthy of my concern…and protection."

The king glared at him, but said nothing.

"TRUUUUNKS!"

The young prince walked over to the cliff and glanced down, easily spotting the green-haired figure just outside the damaged remains of the Capsule Corporation. "UP HERE, MOM!" he shouted back. He turned back to his father, whose glare had diminished just a bit. "You're leaving now?"

Once again, the king said nothing.

A few moments later, the green-haired woman scrambled up the ridge, dusting off her work pants. "Trunks, honey, what were you doing up here?" she asked, glancing around.

He shrugged, gesturing at the broken rock fragments with a sheepish grin. "What else?"

She sighed and tousled his lavender hair affectionately. "Get inside, you. Dinner time. And WASH those hands this time, buster."

"Hai, kaa-san." He smiled and kissed her fingertips as she pulled away, before getting a running start and leaping off the cliff, his faded, yellow Capsule Corp. raincoat flapping behind him like a cape. He still liked to play superhero, and all things considered, was very good at saving lives when he tried.

She watched him go with a faint smile, staring at her fingers for a moment before starting after him. Then she paused and turned slowly, as if listening for something. She could almost smell her husband from time to time, the scent of sweat and blood pumping and energy itself. It was probably just her son, though, or maybe her mind was simply drawing it from recollection. Either way, it lifted her spirits a bit, giving her that old feeling that nothing could touch her, nothing could harm her while there was one Saiyan survivor left on Earth. And oddly enough, there was, but sometimes she'd swear there were still two.

"Goodbye, sweet prince," Bulma whispered softly, "wherever you are." Then she turned, smiling, and vanished over the ridge.

The king watched her go, scowling at her ignorance of his true title. "Stupid woman," he admonished, almost fondly, before fading away with the passing of the wind.

* * * * *

Being the widow of a Saiyan, Chi-chi was used to surprises. She'd never forgotten the day when Garlic Jr.'s men had attacked her home and kidnapped her only son. Goku had gotten him back safe, of course, so that hardly mattered anymore. But she found herself recalling everything she could about them now. Gohan hadn't come by to visit in years, and even little Trunks had found his way to her since then. She feared her son might be dead already, but was almost glad there was no one to tell her. She was ashamed of feeling that way, but it was less people for the androids to torture and kill.

But when there was something resembling an explosion outside her mountain area home, Chi-chi readily accepted that the androids had arrived-either with her son's body or his bloody clothes as proof of victory-and that her time (and it was beginning to feel like centuries, really) was finally up.

But instead of two androids she had come to loathe and fear, she found three children, huddled together as a floating head talked to them.

"Now, remember, he's bound to be suspicious of you the moment he senses you, so BE CAREFUL!" the head warned.

"We'll be fine, Washu-chan!" the smaller girl promised with a bow. "We'll bring you back something nice to experiment on!"

Washu (the head, apparently) smiled before vanishing into nothingness.

"I can feel him," the boy said at once. "Miles away…over that way, to the west."

"Which means he can feel us," the slim girl in black added. "Do you think he'll come?"

"Not now," the boy replied. "It's getting late. And-oh, what IS it, Oscuro?"

A strange, solid black creature on the boy's shoulder had been digging its claws into his shoulder. Now it yowled loudly and jerked its head in Chi-chi's direction.

Chi-chi blinked as the children finally noticed her. "Hello, there."

The children glanced at each other in silence, trying to come up with some explanation for the floating head.

"Oh, don't even bother trying to explain. Just come inside, there's more than enough dinner for all of you."

The boy sighed as they followed Chi-chi into the house. "That was easy…"

"I've got a feeling it's the only thing about this mission that WILL be easy," the slim girl noted.

"You can brood AFTER we eat," the other stated firmly, pushing them both through the doorway.

* * * * *

The young man stared into the object's round, shiny surface. "Come on, you," he whispered, as if speaking to his distorted reflection. "What's your secret, huh? What is it Old Man Gero didn't want us to know about you?"

"That's not going to work, 17," his slightly older sister said. "If the balls were going to talk, they'd obviously talk to the pretty one."

"Very funny, sis," 17 replied, continuing to stare at the ball in his hand. "But what if they're masculine? You'd just be intimidating to them."

"You'd be intimidating either way," she pointed out.

He smiled wickedly. "How very true."

"Perv," she muttered under her breath, studying her own ball a bit more closely. The seven red stars on it gleamed in the sunlight as she held it up. She tried scanning it again, but her memory banks still insisted that it was nothing more than a chunk of granite.

Gero had definitely been hiding things from them.

Fortunately, they'd gotten rid of him before he could shut them down for good.

Unfortunately, they'd killed him before thinking to torture him for information. Well, 17 had. He was impulsive that way, but there was nothing for it.

18 sighed and placed her ball back in the chest with the other five. "We'll figure it out one day," she said confidently.

17 grunted and continued to stare into his ball, wondering if the number of stars on it had anything to do with the numbers Gero had issued his androids.

* * * * *

Vega was the first one out of bed the next morning, and wanted to get started right away. But Chi-chi dragged him back inside by his ear, saying that no one was leaving her home without a decent breakfast in them. Hotaru caved in at once, and Hanmyo needed no convincing at all.

When the table was cleared and the dishes washed, Vega attempted (trying not to use words like "dimensional portal" and "spirit energy", unaware that Chi-Chi was familiar with both) to explain why they'd come.

"Basically, we're here to save the day…er…world," Hanmyo summed up.

"You'll be needing Dende's help," Chi-chi said at once. "The dragonballs, too, but I'm afraid I don't know where they are. Bulma might let you borrow that radar of hers, but only if you could prove your intentions were good. Trust isn't an easy thing to come by these days."

"Then…why are we sitting in your house again?" Vega asked with a puzzled look.

Chi-chi smiled. "I'm an old woman, Vega. It's been a long time since I've seen my own son. I suppose I'm just happy to have any children around me now, even though you'll be leaving soon…"

"You could come with us!" Hanmyo suggested, hating to see anyone sad. "None of us really knows where Kame's Lookout is…" She looked to Hotaru and Vega, hoping for confirmation of this.

"That is true," Vega said at last. "We'd appreciate the help. But we'll have to split up. Someone will need to keep an eye on the androids, while another tries to convince Trunks we're on his side."

"I'll go see Dende with Miss Chi-chi," Hotaru volunteered. "I should have some more experience with meeting gods, anyway…"

"Maybe I should talk to Trunks," Hanmyo said, eyeing Vega. "You'd probably just start roughhousing with him."

Vega frowned. "I do not roughhouse, and I certainly wouldn't try it with a Saiyan. I enjoy my bones being in one piece, thank you."

"I still think it's better to show him a pretty girl first. I mean, wouldn't you stop if I appeared in front of you?"

"Well…of course," Vega muttered, turning red, "but I'm obviously biased, Hanmyo…"

"I don't mean to interrupt," Chi-chi said gently, "but I could vouch for you three after I show Hotaru to Dende's place, if you want. Trunks would take my word."

"Good. I don't know if I like the idea of my girlfriend seducing another prince."

Hanmyo stuck out her tongue at him. "I never get to do ANYTHING fun…"

"You can have fun after we save this world, Usako," Hotaru said. "We'd better get going."

They all filed out of Chi-chi's house, stopping in the yard.

"I hope he's still out there, somewhere," Chi-chi murmured. She raised two fingers to her lips and whistled sharply.

Hotaru, Vega, and Hanmyo all looked at each other, clearly confused.

A long moment later, they could hear something putting along with surprising speed.

A small, yellow cloud suddenly appeared high in the air, weaving from side to side a bit as it slowed to a stop in front of Chi-chi.

"Oh, it's so cute!" Hanmyo cooed, patting the little cloud gently.

"He seems…tired," Hotaru said, frowning sympathetically. "Should we really be riding him?"

"Who said anything about riding him?" Vega started in shock.

"Nimbus has been in the family a long time," Chi-chi said confidently, "but he has never failed us. He will get us to Kami's Lookout, and then we'll go see Trunks."

Still Hotaru hesitated. "But…I don't want to burden him…"

"You don't understand, dear. Nimbus is as light as a feather, and anyone riding him is the same. But, I suppose it's expected, since a pure heart wouldn't have much weight…"

"A pure heart?" Vega asked.

"Only those with pure hearts can ride Nimbus. He's picky that way, but he's never been used for evil."

Vega looked at Hotaru, worried she wouldn't be able to ride Nimbus. Saturn wasn't what he considered an innocent being. But apparently, Nimbus liked her enough as long as she didn't transform, because Hotaru got on with no problem, then helped Chi-chi onto the waiting cloud.

"I think Hanmyo was right about Trunks," Hotaru said as Nimbus began to rise. "Let her go to him. You keep the androids busy, Vega. Something tells me they'll be very interested in a fight."

"That's the ONLY thing they're interested in," Chi-Chi said, worry in her voice. "Be careful, Vega. I want to see you all again."

"Don't worry about me, Miss Chi-chi," Vega replied with a smile. "I'm a LOT tougher than I look." With that, a black aura swirled into existence around him, and in an instant, he was little more than a dark comet, racing across the morning sky.

* * * * *

Trunks sensed something different in the air as he began his morning training. However, training was his first priority…unless, of course, the androids discovered one of the few populated places they hadn't ravaged, or Capsule Corp. itself. While he was still unable to sense their ki (he was almost certain they didn't have any), he had learned to focus on their energy signatures, and could now easily determine one twin's attacks from another. He was no longer surprised that 17 was the more destructive one.

He'd only been training for a few hours, and was just starting to work up a good sweat, when two unfamiliar kis flared into action. They'd been suppressed before, he knew at once, and they were not human…at least, not anymore. One was bright and cheerful, while the other was dark and frightening…like his father, somewhat, but a bit different.

The bright one was headed in his direction, while the other was approaching, amazingly enough, the androids.

Trunks considered that for a moment, then continued training. If someone was crazy or powerful enough to take on the androids, well, more power to them. If they won, good. If they didn't, he would swoop in the moment they were defeated and catch the twins off guard. But that wouldn't be for a while now.

A few minutes later, a pink comet appeared overhead, and a girl dressed in pink and white dropped out of the sky, landing neatly in front of him.

Trunks stayed perfectly still, but posed so that his sword was in plain sight.

"Hi there!" the girl said, practically bouncing over and bowing once. "I'm Hanmyo!"

The young prince said nothing.

"Oh, you don't have to worry! My friends and I are here to help you beat those nasty androids!"

Trunks stared at her for a moment, measuring her power. She was hiding the larger part of it, but he'd never seen a female-much less a girl-so strong before. He wagered she would even give his late master Gohan a run for his money. "Friends?" he asked at last.

"Yup! There's just Vega and Hotaru and me, but Miss Chi-chi says Dende will help us, so we-"

"Chi-chi?" he asked warily. "Dende? You know them?"

"Well, we spent the night with Miss Chi-chi, and she's taking Hotaru to see Dende now, and Vega (he's my sweetie, you know) went to keep the androids busy."

"Really." The young prince seemed to think it over. "And this…Vega of yours…he's strong?"

"Oh, yes, very! We didn't bring Fury this time, but Vega can hold his own. He's been training hard lately."

"And he can only keep them busy?"

Hanmyo nodded. "You see, they're not really alive, so he isn't really allowed to kill them. It's a rule. I'm afraid you'd have to do it…"

Trunks smiled. "Well, that's no problem at all."

* * * * *

Dende looked up as Nimbus jerked to a stop just above the Lookout. He was not at all surprised to see Chi-chi, who had been to see him more than once recently, usually to ask after Bulma & Trunks. She didn't dare visit them in person, fearing the androids might intercept her.

The other passenger, however, startled him greatly. So much so that he dropped his staff momentarily, but quickly recovered it as his guests stepped onto the Lookout.

"Always a pleasure to see you again, Miss Chi-chi," he said, kissing her hand.

Chi-chi smiled. "Hello, Dende. I hope I'm not bothering you."

"Nonsense. I would never be too busy for the mother of the boy who saved my life so many years ago."

Chi-Chi suddenly noticed Hotaru, who hadn't said a word the whole time. "Oh, I'm sorry…I haven't introduced you two. Dende, this is-"

"I know," Dende interrupted kindly, smiling a bit nervously, "who she is, Miss Chi-chi. Would you excuse us for a moment?"

"Oh…of course," Chi-chi said, a little surprised at his expression.

Dende turned and walked quickly into the Lookout. "I must admit I never thought you would have cause to come here, Oh Great & Terrible Princess."

"Please…there's no need for such titles, Kami-sama," Hotaru said, reaching out to touch his arm, then stopping herself halfway as she noticed him shudder and recoil. "I'm very sorry. I didn't mean to-"

He nodded. "So…why have you come?"

"To rid this world of the androids," Hotaru replied.

Dende started. "Pardon me, Princess, but…they are not yours to take, are they?"

Hotaru smiled. "No. Trunks will defeat them. We're just going to give him a hand…and keep the dragonballs out of the androids'."

Dende's face fell. "I'm afraid that's impossible. They already have all seven. They do not know about the wishes, although I'm afraid they may figure it out any day now."

"Then we will act quickly…with your blessing, of course."

Dende looked horrified at the suggestion. "Oh, but…I am not worthy of-"

"In my eyes, Dende, you are the most worthy. There are not many gods who would serve a dying world. But even dying people need hope…and we need your blessing. Please."

"Then…you have it, Princess," he said, waving his staff in a peculiar manner. "Go forward, with my blessing."

"Thank you very much, Kami-sama," Hotaru replied, bowing before he could stop her. "I will remember your kindness fondly, and I swear to never darken your doorstep again." She turned and hurried back to Chi-chi and Nimbus.

Dende watched her go, some of his fear lifting, and whispered, "Farewell, Princess."

* * * * *

Vega found the androids terribly easy to fight. Once he pictured them as twin Lightning Saix (with one forever leading the attack, the other complementing him perfectly), it was easy to counter their speed and strength with his own. And considering he didn't have to win, there was no real pressure. It was nice to fight like this, but he knew that the chance would probably never come up again.

He turned to the androids, who had regrouped to discuss their strategy and why it wasn't working. 17 was insisting it was 18's fault, and 18 refused to even speak to him until he admitted he was to blame, too. They were like children. Children capable of earth-shaking tantrums, but still, ultimately children.

"Is this going to take much longer?" he called. "I had dinner plans!"

Enraged, 17 flew at him (18 stayed where she was, looking fairly pissed), screaming his head off.

Vega sidestepped him, grabbed the android's ankle as he flew past, and slammed him into the dirt. "You should make up with your sister," he suggested. "You were a bit more challenging that way."

17 spat out dirt. "I DON'T need her to beat you, you little punk!" He leaped at Vega, only to get and uppercut to the chin that knocked him back to the ground.

"Let's be serious for a moment. If you could beat me by yourself, you would've by now. The fact that you both attacked me together only proves that one of you can't do the job alone."

"SHUT UP!" 17 shouted, flinging an energy ball at his face.

Vega batted it away and sighed. "Now you're not even trying."

17 sputtered and began to build his power. "I'll show you trying!!!"

"No," Vega said calmly, "you won't."

Suddenly, there was a familiar voice at 17's ear. "Miss me?"

Before the android could spin around, golden, blinding power washed over his body, tossing him away like a rag doll.

"Yoohoo! Vega, sweetie!" Hanmyo called, waving happily from behind the golden-haired Trunks. "I found the prince!"

Vega blushed. "I can see that, love," he replied somewhat less loudly.

"I'll take care of things from here," Trunks said, pulling out his sword.

"He won't," murmured a quiet voice just beside Vega.

Vega turned to see a shadow-clad figure that he recognized from Washu's briefing. "Vegeta? What are you still doing here?"

Vegeta scowled. "If you think I would let even death keep me from watching over my family, princeling, you're sadly mistaken. As I was saying, Trunks won't do it."

"You mean he's not strong enough?"

"Of COURSE he is! He's MY son! But he's never killed before, and he doesn't realize how imperative it is that he does this day. He doesn't know the androids have the dragonballs, and he's never seen them used for evil. He doesn't know what they could do with one wish."

"And you have a suggestion?" Vega asked warily.

"I do. Trunks has to see something, feel something so horrible that it pushes him past his self-imposed limitations. He has to be forced to the next level. It's the only way he'll destroy them."

"And I guess you have an idea on that, too?"

Vegeta's face became impassive. "I do."

* * * * *

"It looks like Trunks has already started," Hotaru said, shading her eyes from the bright patches of light that lit up the sky. "I'd better take you home first, Miss Chi-chi."

"Don't bother, I know the way," Chi-chi replied. "You belong out there with them. I can almost feel your desire to jump off this silly cloud and leave this old lady behind."

Hotaru was horrified. "I would never-!"

"I know you wouldn't," Chi-chi cut in, placing a finger to the girl's lips. "That's why I'm telling you to go. I'll be fine. Anyway, when you get done, you're all going to need a big dinner, and I should get started."

Hotaru smiled. "Thank you for understanding." A black hole appeared in front of her, and she vanished into it.

"Come on, Nimbus," Chi-chi sighed. "Take me home, and then you can rest, old friend."

Hotaru locked onto the first familiar presence she sensed and emerged just behind Vega. She was surprised to find that despite the fact he wasn't fighting, his black aura was swirling madly around him, as if he were about to do something big.

The thought had barely registered in her mind when a huge, black hand of shadow tore out of Vega's aura with lightning speed, headed straight for, of all people, Trunks.

"Vega!" she cried in alarm. "What are you doing?!"

"What must be done," Vega replied softly. "I think."

The hand paused just behind Trunks, waiting on its creator's command.

Hotaru took a closer look at the hand, and realized what it contained. "Vega, no! You can't! Not even your true title gives you the right!"

"No," said an eerily familiar voice, making Hotaru's blood run cold, "but mine does!"

There was no time to warn Vega as Vegeta leaped at him, into him, taking control of his body.

The hand faltered for a moment, then seized Trunks's head in an invisible death grip.

* * * * *

Trunks had just knocked 18 into huge boulder when his blood turned to ice. Before his mind could react, shocking images flooded his mind.

…his mother, running, falling, screaming…

…Android 17 laughing cruelly as his shadow fell over her…

…clothes ripping, falling away, laughter…

…blood on his mother's face, her body bruised and weary…

…17 smirking as he unbuckled his belt and drew closer…

…18's laughter dying away abruptly as she realized he wasn't joking…

…strong hands mauling his mother's breasts, her stomach, forcing her legs apart…

…18 turning away, unable to watch any longer…

…screams, so many screams, laughter, endless laughter…

"No," Trunks whispered, his childhood dying in his throat. "KAA-SAAAAAAAN!!!"

* * * * *

Several miles away, Bulma looked up from her notes. "That's funny," she murmured. "I could've sworn I heard Trunks calling me…"

* * * * *

Hanmyo had been more than a little startled the first time she saw Trunks go Super Saiyan. But she quickly realized that many fighters changed in appearance as they grew stronger.

This was nothing that simple.

This was the birth, life, and death of a supernova, all in the same instant.

Had she not been who she was, the sheer force of Trunks's transformation surely would've killed her. It was not until the smoke cleared that she understood why that was.

Her first impression of Trunks had been a cute, yet serious boy that was enormously powerful.

It was still true…except for the cute boy part. In fact, Trunks barely even looked human.

The amount of golden hair on his head had nearly quadrupled, so much that it spilled down his back and fell past his knees. His forehead was now huge and sloping, his eyes void of any recognizable feeling, and combined with the empty look on his face, it seemed impossible for any part of him to be even remotely human any longer. And then he'd tripled in height and filled out to a solid build, so that his clothes were ready to burst if he moved an inch.

Then he caught sight of Android 17 struggling to his feet, and all hell broke loose.

There was a sound not unlike a sonic boom, and 17, the ground beneath his feet, and the rocky mountain just behind him, all ceased to exist.

Trunks had only lifted a finger and pointed.

Then he whirled on 18, pausing only to whisper, "You should've stopped him," before she and the boulder she'd been imbedded in were gone, too.

Hanmyo swallowed, and gasped as Trunks whirled on her.

He eventually lowered his finger, the golden glow fading as his hair shrank back to its original length and color, his body shrinking until he was a little boy again.

"Wow," he said after a moment, with the hushed tone of someone who's just done something terrible and only then realizing it. "Kaa-san told me I was growing up fast, but I never believed her…"

* * * * *

Vega stared into the rippling blue lake, his eyes cloudy and unfocused. Presently, he became aware of a second head dark-haired head in the moving water, and closed his eyes. "I didn't have the right."

"No," Hotaru agreed. "But Trunks will forgive and forget. A Saiyan's life is full of various extremes. By the time the next one comes, you will barely be a memory to him."

"But…why did Vegeta make me do it?"

"Vegeta, perhaps more than any other king, understands his people. His son was no exception to that."

"But…Trunks is his son. Why would he make me do that to his own son?"

"A Saiyan's birthright is rage and power, Vega. For power to grow, so must rage. You did what had to be done. This world is safe from the androids, and Hanmyo has taken the dragonballs to Dende."

"Then why do I feel like a monster?"

"It happens," Hotaru replied evenly. "And it will again."

"So what do I do?"

"Accept the truth."

"Which is?"

Hotaru shrugged. "We ARE monsters, Vega. We're what parents tell their children about to get them into bed early, or clean their rooms, or do all their homework. We are what tribes and clans pay tribute to and sacrifice to. We are those things that exist in people's minds, but never before their eyes. So, yes, we are monsters, Vega. But even the most frightening of monsters can do good things. As long as you remember that, you will remain true to yourself."

"You make it sound so easy."

"Well, if I made it sound hard, this conversation wouldn't be half as encouraging as I meant it to be, now would it?"

Vega smiled thinly. "No, I guess not."

"Then shut up and cheer up. We did a lot of good today…and a little bad. That's as good as it gets."

"So…I'm Prince of the Dead now?"

Hotaru smiled. "No. But you are harnessing the power. When you truly are Prince of the Dead, you won't have to ask for confirmation. You'll know." She paused. "But since you ARE learning to use the powers, and you will have that title some day soon, I'd better give you something."

"I get a present for making a kid picture his mother's imaginary rape?!"

"NO! It's not a gift, more like a symbol. One that you'll need to be instantly recognized by anyone who should know you on sight." Hotaru closed her eyes and held up her right hand, spreading out her fingers. As Vega watched, her fingertips became coal black. Hotaru opened her eyes. "Come here, Vega."

Somewhat uncertainly, Vega stood up and walked over to her.

Hotaru lifted his chin with her other hand, and carefully began to brush her black fingers along his left cheek in feather-soft strokes. "This mark identifies you as Prince of the Dead. For now, it will remain invisible, unless someone actively looks for it. But when you…come into your own, as they say, it'll become permanent."

"…how come you don't have a mark?" Vega asked when she was done.

Hotaru smiled. "I do. You've probably already seen it and didn't realize it. Once you can see your own, you'll be able to see mine, and everyone else's, easily."

"Does…Hanmyo have one?"

"No. She is your regent, after all. When she gets a mark, it must come from you."

Vega turned bright red.

"Not THAT kind of mark," Hotaru said quickly. "Although that's totally your choice, too, if-"

"Let's just both stop talking for a minute," Vega muttered.

Hotaru nodded her agreement as they headed back to Chi-chi's, both blushing and determined not to look at each other.

* * * * *

Continued in Chapter 11: In preparation for his rise to power, Vega must step through time and come face-to-face with his mysterious heritage, and an ancestor known only as Raven… Meanwhile, the queen gives her final order.