Gundam Wing Fan Fiction / Outlaw Star Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / Fan Fiction / Zoids Fan Fiction ❯ All Death's Children ❯ Chapter 11

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Notes: If you've never seen Zoids: Chaotic Century, prepare to be confuzzled. I have no idea whether Raven was meant to be Vega's ancestor in the series, but the similarities are obvious. You could also argue that Vega's descended from Van, but since Genosaur is so similar to Berserk Fury, I'm inclined to go with the first theory.

I feel I should point out this series is quickly coming to a close. There will probably be one or two more chapters after this one. Sorry, but I finally found a good place to end it.

Oh, and Inu Yasha makes a VERY short, comic appearance. But he'll be back.

Chapter 11

Hanmyo stared at the game board. "Somehow, this was easier when you were explaining it, Yugi."

"Always is," Hotaru murmured softly, before placing a card facedown on the board. "Your turn."

"Just remember your lessons, Hanmyo," Yugi said.

Hanmyo bit her lip. "Okay…I'll attack with Summoned Skull."

"A wise choice," Hotaru replied, smiling.

Hanmyo frowned. "But…?"

"But, I'm afraid you've chosen the wrong time to use a power play….or a monster in attack mode at all."

"Why's that?"

Hotaru flipped over her card, revealing a Morfinjar. "Attacking one of these automatically sends your card to the discard pile. Which means you're out of cards, and I win. Again."

Hanmyo pouted. "But that's not FAIR!"

"Duel Monsters hardly ever is," Yugi noted. "It's a game of strategy."

"And cheating," Hanmyo muttered.

"Don't be angry, Usako. It wouldn't be fair if I let you win, would it?" Hotaru asked.

"Well, no…but at least I'd feel better for a while." Hanmyo sighed. "Why can't we ever spar? I'm GOOD at that!"

Hotaru smiled kindly. "Because I'm quite fond of you, that's why." With that, she stood up and left the room.

"What's that mean?" Hanmyo asked, blinking slowly.

"That means she could destroy you with her little finger," Yugi explained quietly.

"….oh."

* * * * *

"Aren't you done yet, crab lady?!"

Washu pointedly ignored her current patient as she studied her printout. "Hmm…circulation's improved, reaction time is up 6.4%, and attitude is just as horrible as the last time. All in all, a good check-up for you, Puppers."

"I TOLD YOU NOT TO CALL ME THAT!!!"

Washu glanced at her patient. "Really, Puppers, that's no way to talk to someone who can do this to your brain."

The half-demon boy shuddered and barked loudly.

Washu beamed. "I'd say it's an improvement. Your companion will be most pleased."

"I'll get you for this, crab lady! As soon as I get out!"

"All you're going to get is no lollipop for shouting at me. Anyway, you'll wake Vega."

The boy glanced over at the other patient, who was sleeping in an odd, glowing chamber. "What's so special about him?"

"He's going to become Prince of the Dead one day. Keep shooting your mouth off like that and you'll meet him again sooner than you think, Puppers."

The boy scowled. "Just hurry up so I can get back to my world already! With my luck, that stupid girl's already lost the pieces of the jewel I've collected!

"All done!" Washu sang, pressing a button on the console. "You're free to go, Puppers. You should try to watch your blood pressure, though…"

The boy tore free from his restraints. "Finally!"

Washu gazed at him expectantly from her floating cushion.

"Well?! Open the stupid portal, crab lady!"

Washu grinned. "You KNOW what you have to say to leave, Inu Yasha."

The boy growled, then sighed in defeat. "Thank you, Little Washu," he grumbled.

Washu beamed at him. "Thanks, but not what I meant."

Inu Yasha's eyes burned with fury, but he said nothing.

"I'm waaaaaiting!" Washu teased.

Growling again, Inu Yasha quickly muttered, "Bow wow."

A pink star portal instantly opened up, and he was already diving through it before Washu could call out, "Bye bye, Puppers!"

A hand quickly reemerged to flip her off before vanishing back into the portal, which spiraled out of existence.

"Boys will be boys," Washu giggled. She turned to the chamber, where Vega was slowly waking up. "Welcome back to the world, my little prince. Did you sleep well?"

Vega blinked and nodded. "I had the strangest dream. Someone kept screaming about cruelty to demons."

Washu smiled. "That was no dream, but we can talk about it later. Right now, it's time for that family reunion I mentioned."

"But I'm pretty sure I don't have any family," Vega said.

Washu's eyes darkened. "Yes, and as it turns out, there's a very good reason for that…"

* * * * *

"So what's this guy's deal, Firefly?" Duo asked. "How come I've never heard of him?"

Hotaru shook her head. "I wish I knew. All anyone seems to know for certain is that he's somehow related to Vega, and only Washu could confirm that."

"There is a certain resemblance," Duo murmured. "But Obscura never looked THAT pissed."

"From what Washu hinted at, I doubt he was ever really happy, unless you count when he was causing pain."

"Wicked. But how do we know he's gonna be happy to see the kid?"

Hotaru frowned. "We don't. For all we know, he might actually try to kill Vega and ask questions later. And it's certainly not unlikely, either."

"Then I don't get it," Duo said. "If the dude's so dangerous, why does the kid have to meet him?"

"Because he can't become Prince of the Dead without Raven's blessing."

"What's that got to do with anything?"

Hotaru sighed. "Duo, didn't you ever wonder why there hasn't been a Prince of the Dead for centuries?"

"What, you mean this Raven guy destroyed the last one?"

"No, he WAS the Prince, for roughly a week. And then it was decided that he was TOO good at it. But before we could dismiss him, he quit, and effectively put a halt to anyone else replacing him. Every new Prince has to have the former's blessing. Without it, the title doesn't truly belong to him."

Duo shook his head. "So basically, the guy's a major jerk."

"It's a bit more serious than that, I'm afraid," Hotaru replied. "He's a jerk with Gundam level skills and no restraint. And then there's his organoid and Zoid to consider."

"Remind why the kid's going in alone, then?"

"There's no other way," Hotaru said. "If Vega didn't go alone, Raven would instantly consider him weak and unworthy."

"And what do you think of all this, Firefly?" Duo asked.

Hotaru hesitated. "I think…I'm afraid for him."

* * * * *

Washu had wanted to give Vega one of her portable portals, but he'd firmly refused. The entire purpose of this trip was to return as Prince of the Dead, and if he couldn't do that, there was no point in going back.

Washu's portal dropped him off a little less than a mile away from Raven's campsite. The desert air was unusually warm, even for nighttime. Vega chalked it up to his being nervous. He was not afraid, though. He was confident in his own power, and Washu had given him a dagger, just in case he ran into an enemy…or Raven in a bad mood.

The camp consisted of little more than Raven's Zoid, cleverly hidden deep in a rocky canyon. Upon closer inspection, Vega suspected that Raven had carved the canyon with the help of his Genosaur's Charged Particle Cannon. He regretted not being able to bring Fury, but hopefully, there wouldn't be a need for him.

The Genosaur was crouched in a cave dug out of the canyon wall, so that anyone looking down from above would see nothing but rocky terrain. Even though it was asleep, Vega could sense a strong aura of death and destruction radiating from the Genosaur. And powerful as it was, even it paled in comparison to the aura of its pilot.

Raven was sitting on a large boulder near the fearsome Zoid, perfectly motionless. Much like Vega's own, his hair was wild and black as night, ending just past his shoulders. His head was lowered, and everything else was hidden by a dark cloak, which made him all but invisible. Vega, however, didn't need sight to see him. His aura was too significant to ignore; it stank of rage, bloodlust, and long-dead souls that were doomed to follow their killer.

Vega stopped a respectful distance away, trying to think of a way to get Raven's attention without it resulting in bodily harm.

"There are only three kinds of people who can find me," Raven murmured abruptly, raising his head. His violet eyes locked onto Vega's face. "Fools, challengers, and those with death wishes. Which are you, I wonder?"

"Successor," Vega replied evenly.

Raven's eyes narrowed. "Your head hasn't been torn off. Either Shadow's getting lazy, or you're serious."

"Shadow?"

Raven ignored the question. "What makes you think you're going to replace me? What makes you think you can? What gives you the right?"

"Your blood." When Raven moved to rise, he quickly added, "In me. I'm your descendant."

Raven calmed down…which only meant that he didn't lunge just then. "Quite a claim. Especially considering I've never even-" He stopped and frowned, jerking his head slightly to the left.

Something fast and silent landed behind Vega, then sniffed loudly at his ear.

"Well?!" Raven spat, clearly impatient.

The sniffing continued in earnest, and something cold and metallic brushed Vega's chest before moving away.

"Hmm. Shadow says you're telling the truth." Raven almost looked disappointed. "Well. That means…" He suddenly broke into a wide grin, threw back his head and laughed.

It was a horrible, haunting sound, one that Vega would never forget as long as he existed.

Raven's laughter died away after a moment. "You don't say much. Good. Come here and we'll get this over with."

Vega wasn't sure whether he should be bothered by the fact that Raven appeared to be in a good mood. At any rate, he did as he was told, stopping directly in front of his ancestor.

"I see you've been marked already. Even better. That means someone high up expects you to rule." Raven's eyes flashed. "But you only have one. We're going to fix that."

"You can see it?" Vega asked, touching his left cheek.

"I'd be surprised if anyone else could," Raven replied with a smirk. "For all intents and purposes, I'm the current prince, or the last one, at least. If I couldn't see that, or if you hadn't checked out, you'd already be dead." His face became grave. "Where's your weapon?"

Vega fished out the dagger and held it out to him, handle-first.

Raven scowled. "That's no way to give me a dagger."

Somewhat confused, Vega reversed it, now offering him the blade.

"You learn fast." Raven gripped the blade roughly, crimson trails leaking through his fingers. "You were right to say you had my blood in you. But we have to make sure. It's a ceremonial thing."

Vega held out his hand, but Raven slapped it away.

Raven pointed to the crimson mark on his right cheek, which resembled a seven preceded by a dot. "Know what this is?"

Vega shook his head.

"It's our mark. The mark of our clan. Has nothing to do with being a prince, and everything to do with being a walking weapon of death." Raven traced the mark with the dagger, watching more of his blood spill down the blade. "That's what we are. The Deathwalkers. And you're the last one. Or you will be in a minute."

Already knowing what was in store, Vega leaned forward.

Raven raised the dagger (which was now coated in red) and carefully sliced open Vega's right cheek, copying the seven-shaped design. When he was done, he touched his own cheek and then traced the cut on Vega's. Only then did it begin to sting, and though Vega hated himself for doing so, he flinched.

"Don't worry. It's supposed to hurt," Raven chuckled. "Welcome to the family."

Vega stood up straight. His vision blurred for a moment, then cleared. "I feel…strange."

"So did I." Raven cast a thoughtful look at the dagger, then shook his head. "Time to make the transfer official. Kneel before me, descendant."

Vega blinked.

Raven shrugged. "I told you, ceremonial and all. I had to do it."

Vega sank to his knees and lowered his head.

"Kneel before me, Vega Obscura, King of Zoid Warriors, Child of Death, Dark Disciple of the Red Goddess."

Raven touched the dagger to both of Vega's shoulders.

"And now rise, Vega Obscura, Spawn of Raven, Last of the Deathwalkers…and Prince of the Dead."

Something like an electric jolt shot through Vega's body as he stumbled to his feet. If there had been a mirror, he would've seen that his hair was a few inches longer, and that he himself was noticeably taller.

"I'd give you my old cape, but they'll probably make a fuss about giving you a new one when you get back." Raven stared at the dagger again. "Can I keep this?"

Vega blinked slowly. "Sure, I guess."

"Thanks." He tucked it into his belt…without cleaning it.

"Will I see you again?"

"Doubtful. I'm not what you'd call a family man." Raven actually smiled. "You'll do well, I know it."

Vega turned and walked away. "Bye, Shadow," he said, nodding as he passed the silent organoid.

Shadow watched him vanish into dark portal and looked to Raven.

"Don't look at me like that. I'm not going soft. I'm just…excited."

Shadow tilted his head curiously.

"It's not every day someone tells you you're gonna be a father." Raven stood up, smirking wickedly. "C'mon, Shadow. I think it's time to do some gardening…and I know just where to plant my seeds…"

* * * * *

Hotaru had always known that the day would come. But despite all her training, nothing could really prepare her for it. Even as she stood at the queen's side, she was only half-listening to the speech. She kept gazing out at all the warriors assembled. In mere moments, she would be responsible for each of their fates. And that was just the beginning of her worries.

There was still the matter of Vega to deal with. They'd have to have a talk, whenever he got back. And though it was likely to be a very uncomfortable conversation, Hotaru knew it had to be done. Anyway, she missed the confidence his presence always seemed to summon in her. Somehow, everything was much simpler with Vega by her side.

It was strange, the way Fate chose to work itself.

"You might want to pay attention, dear. You're about to be crowned," said a kind voice in the back of her mind.

Hotaru straightened up, silently thanking Washu without actually looking at her.

"It's been a long road," the queen was saying. "Not all of us survived long enough to see the end of it. Nor will all of us. Myself included."

There were scattered gasps of shock and horror, but the wiser warriors had expected this, and met it with silent courage and regret.

"There's no need to look so sad. I'm leaving you with a queen who is more than capable of replacing me. In fact, you might say she was born to do this. She certainly has died enough, after all."

Only a few people found that funny, and the ones that did chose not to laugh.

Death turned to Hotaru and smiled, taking her hand. "Make me proud, Firefly."

Hotaru stared up at her. "You're really not coming back, are you?"

"You know I can't."

Hotaru lowered head slightly. "Goodbye, Majesty…"

"Now, now, none of that. And no tears." Death knelt and drew Hotaru into a gentle embrace.

"I can't remember my mother at all," Hotaru whispered.

"No?"

She shook her head. "But…sometimes…I think she looked a lot like you."

"Maybe she did. But even if she hadn't, it wouldn't make you any less my dear daughter, would it?"

Hotaru smiled thinly. "I guess not."

"Don't worry, Firefly. If you ever need someone to baby you, Washu's always right downstairs. In a way, she's more your mother than I could ever be. She was there when you first came into existence, and she'll be there when you leave it for good."

"But what if I don't want Washu?" Hotaru asked tearfully. "What if I want you?"

Death smiled and stroked her hair. "You don't want me, dear. You ARE me, now, in every way that matters. And though I technically won't be here, in the base, you'll always carry a little bit of me in your heart. You know, the fun bit that teases Heero."

Hotaru giggled.

"That's my girl." Death kissed her forehead and stood up. "And remember, you're not alone in that pretty little head of yours."

Hotaru closed her eyes, almost instantly coming in contact with the entity. "I have need of your courage, Saturn. Help me…please…"

A solemn looked passed over Hotaru's face, and with a slight smirk, she thrust the Silence Glaive high into the air.

The warriors roared in support, and Saturn could see Heero visibly restraining Duo from shouting, "Hail Hotaru!" a bit too loudly.

"An admirable start, Saturn," murmured Washu as she came closer.

"As it was meant to be, kaa-san. But I do wish…he had been here to see it."

"You know Vega is no longer your king, Saturn. Best to get used to it now."

"I do not understand why he would prefer to rule beneath me, rather than beside me."

Washu merely smiled. "Sometimes, my child, it's the simple things that truly satisfy."

Saturn sighed, and then noticed that at some point during the last few seconds, Death had vanished.

* * * * *

Hanmyo awoke to find something soft and furry tickling her cheek. She was only slightly surprised to see that it was a scowling Oscuro. "What's wrong, boy? You hungry?" she yawned, covering her mouth.

Oscuro continued to glare at her.

"Maybe you just miss Vega." Hanmyo reached over to stroke the cabbit's back, grinning when he began to relax and purr softly. "Or maybe you're just a selfish little cabbit who likes his attention, yes you are…"

A shadow fell over the bed. "Hey, beautiful."

Hanmyo looked, almost expecting to see Duo, and shrieked upon realizing it wasn't him.

"Hey, calm down! It's me!"

She stared at him, her lips trembling in either fear or disbelief. "…Vega?"

"Yes. You look like you've seen a ghost, love."

Hanmyo wasn't sure if he was making a joke or being serious. And she still didn't trust her eyes. Slowly, she picked up Oscuro and held him out towards the stranger.

Oscuro sniffed for a long moment, before leaping to Vega's shoulder and settling down, as if he belonged there.

"I told you," Vega said, sitting down on the bed. "Do I really look that different?"

"I wouldn't have said anything if you didn't. You're…taller, your hair's longer, and you even sound different. And your face…" Hanmyo reached out to touch his cheek, gently caressing the new scar.

"It's fine," Vega swore, squeezing her hand. "Just part of the ritual. And Raven wasn't as bad as everyone said he'd be. Well, not after we talked for a bit."

"Then he didn't hurt you?"

"Only for a sec, but it was part of the ritual."

"…I just can't get over how different you look. And I'll probably need a ladder to kiss you now."

"Oh, don't worry about that." Vega took her hand and kissed it. "There."

Hanmyo was about to ask why he'd done it when she noticed that her fingers were a bit longer than before. Her hand was larger as well. "What did you…?"

"The same thing Raven did to me…sort of. Just gave you some of my energy. You should be able to change your appearance at will now. Think of it as an early anniversary present." When she began to frown, he quickly added, "In addition to the big one I'm going to give you, of course…"

Hanmyo beamed. "Oh. Okay."

Vega chuckled. "In the meantime, you'd better pack a few things. We're going on a trip."

"We are? Where to?

"Well, assuming I can get Hotaru's permission, to the living world. I…kinda want you to meet my mother."

Hanmyo smiled slyly. "Vega…" she murmured, sounding very pleased.

"Don't LOOK at me like that," Vega muttered, turning red.

"And why shouldn't I?" she asked, draping her arms around his neck. "Usually, it means something when a boy brings a girl home, y'know."

"Hanmyo, when have I ever given you the impression that I wasn't serious about us?"

"Well, never. But you never said you'd take me home, either. "

"Something Raven said made me realize that I've been neglecting my duties as a son. I need to know that my mother's okay. She's a headstrong woman, and I can't be sure she hasn't gotten herself in trouble."

"AND you want to be sure she meets your future bride-to-be, right?" Hanmyo teased.

Vega ignored the question. "I'm afraid my reason for going is threefold. Tomorrow's the annual Zoid Trials."

"So you want to show off, show me off, and check on your mother? They sound like good reasons to me."

Vega rolled his eyes. "Of course they do. But you're not the one I have to ask."

* * * * *

Hotaru was slightly worried. The success of her first few days as queen would rely heavily on her supporting players: Duo, Heero, and Vega. Duo was there before she could ever call for him, and Heero knew exactly what he was supposed to do…which was odd, as they were setting a lot of precedents.

Vega was noticeably missing in action.

Hotaru had been informed the moment he'd returned to the base, and she had even allowed for time Vega might want to spend "marking" Hanmyo as his official regent. Naturally, she tried very hard not to picture the actual act, but hours had passed, and she was beginning to wonder just how thorough Vega planned to be, when it occurred to her that maybe he was doing something else entirely.

Just then, Vega walked into the throne room, looking as if he'd spent the past few minutes rehearsing what he was going to say. "I need to talk to you."

"Ditto," Hotaru replied, something of a smile on her lips. "You look…regal."

Vega blinked at that. "Uh…thanks, I guess. You look…the same?"

"I was hoping for that effect, yes. And we do need to talk."

Vega blinked again. "Okay."

"I know this will be a…touchy subject. But I have to be sure that you're aware of your status."

"I think I am."

Hotaru frowned. "Vega…you do know that when you first came here, you were intended to be King of the Dead, don't you? And you could still be, if you-"

"Married you?" Vega interrupted.

Hotaru blushed. "In theory, but I'm sure there's a way we could avoid that with you still receiving full power over-"

"There isn't. I checked. Believe me." Vega smiled helpfully. "So thanks, but no. Prince is a fine title. It suits me better."

"Then…you do realize that you'll be…beneath me?"

"I do. But at least I'll be directly beneath you."

"…that's true," Hotaru replied, trying to ignore the wording. "So…you don't mind?"

"What, having you for a boss? Not really. Between my mother, Hanmyo, and the last queen, I'm used to women bossing me around. I can live with it."

"…you really don't mind, do you?"

"No. I already have more power than I know what to do with. It'll take me long enough to get used to this without worrying about every single person that dies. Personally, I don't envy you."

Hotaru smiled kindly. "It takes a certain degree of patience."

"I'm aware. But listen, I need a favor?"

Hotaru stopped smiling. "Already?!"

"It's a fairly small one. I just want to go to the living world for a day."

"…a whole day?"

Vega blinked again. "You say that like it'd be difficult to manage."

"Well, it WOULD be, Vega! I'm barely queen for a day, and you already want a day off?!"

"But I've been back to the living world before. Yugi-"

"Yes, I know about that. But the queen had been here for centuries! She was well established, and had the power and time to spare such a trip! You don't see to realize that right now, I need all my people in certain places, especially you!"

"…fourteen hours, then? It's barely half a day."

Hotaru sighed. "Vega…exactly when did you want these hours off?"

"…tomorrow?"

Hotaru sputtered. "TOMORROW?!"

"Well…yes?"

"Fine, fine! I suppose if Hanmyo was still here, we could manage. She is your regent, after all."

Vega chuckled hesitantly. "Actually…I want her to come with me."

Hotaru's eyes narrowed. "And what might be the nature of this…trip?"

"Oh, that was LOW, Hotaru! I would NEVER ask you for a day off just for-!"

"I'm waiting."

Vega growled in his throat. "I just want her to meet my mother."

Hotaru's expression lost some of its malice. "Fourteen hours. That's IT. And when you get back, both of you are going to be working around the clock. Is this clear?"

"I'll tell her." Vega beamed. "Thanks, Hotaru!"

"Go AWAY, Vega. You're giving me a headache…"

* * * * *

Continued in Chapter 12: Vega competes, Hanmyo meets Sarah, and Vega meets Sarah's new man… There are reunions all around as Vega meets up with Bit, Brad, and his old Backdraft-buddies-turned-free-agents. And who's piloting that Genosaur in the Zoid Trials???