Gundam Wing Fan Fiction / Outlaw Star Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / Tenchi Muyo Fan Fiction ❯ Bounty Hunters, Outlaws, Pirates and Princesses ❯ Turning the Tables ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own these respective characters or settings. They belong to Pioneer, Sunrise/Bandi, and Fundimation.

Bounty Hunters, Outlaws, Princesses, and Pirates

Part Seven: Turning the Tables

By: Elf

"Block. Punch. Step faster, boy! You'll get your head smashed in!" Vegeta snarled at Duo. Duo glared as Vegeta showed him the basics of the Sayan fighting techniques. Consider yourself lucky human. There are only three men in the universe who know this style. Myself, Miari Trunks and Chibi, Vegeta had told him earlier before he had thrown the first pulled punch.

Despite the fact that Vegeta pulled his punches, it still hurt like hell when he landed one. So, Duo was dodging and weaving, trying not to get hit and picking up on more skills than he originally had. Within hours, the fast learner was doing martial arts moves that would make Wufei green with envy, if he was alive, that was.

Trunks had already tried to spar with Heero, not using his powers, and got a mechanical fist to the face for his troubles. Heero's reflexes were quicker and he had faster limb reaction time than they did. Plus he was stronger than a normal human, not at 18's league, but he could arm wrestle a Kartal-Kartal and win.

Hotaru was a little harder to teach. As Sailor Saturn she stronger and faster than a normal person, plus she had her Silence Glave. As Hotaru Tomoe she was just a regular seventeen year old girl with healing powers. 18 was trying to be patient and failing. She had gotten angry, shouted a few choice words then pushed her over to Trunks saying, "You can have the organic, I'm taking the cyborg."

That's how the current arrangement began: Vegeta wanted to train (torture) Duo, Trunks was responsible for Hotaru, and 18 was showing Heero the basics of flying. Personally, Duo wanted the lovely android and not the yelling badass, but not everyone got what he wanted.

"Gather your energy and use it as a pillow to push you up!" Vegeta snapped at him, demonstrating how he flew.

Now they had moved on from fighting to flying. Duo snapped, "I haven't mastered that yet!"

Vegeta smirked and stated, "Well, I have an idea then." He grabbed Duo and took off the ground. The God of Death screamed, shouted and cursed at Vegeta to set him down and let him go. "Let you go?"

Duo looked down at the gathered group and shook his head. "No, don't! Vegeta, please," he begged incoherently. Vegeta smirked evilly and dropped him.

Duo screamed and closed his eyes as he rushed toward the ground. Before he hit, Vegeta caught him, repeating the process. It went like that for hours. Vegeta catching Duo, flying back up and dropping him.

On the eightieth free fall Duo relaxed and concentrated. He focused on everything but nothing. He started to meditate and suddenly, he stopped. Vegeta wasn't holding him and he looked around. He was floating on his own power now.

He chuckled as he moved a bit, finding that he didn't fall. He moved back and forth. Satisfied, he lunged strait up in the air before turning into a dive. Right before he was about to hit Heero, he pulled up and sent them all a cheerful wave.

It was almost good as sex! It was great, carefree and cool. He did a few loopty-loops to see if he could and laughed joyously. He flew through Blue Haven, waving down at Starwind and Hawking Enterprises. Gene Starwind looked a little perplexed and Suzuka simply smiled at him, waving back.

He heard Gene ask, "How did he start flying?"

Duo returned to see Vegeta glaring at him. "Good, took you long enough," Vegeta growled.

Duo snapped, "Hey, I can't help it if I'm just a measly human."

Heero was floating now with perfect control, as if he was afraid to move. Hotaru was floating a few scant inches off the ground, but it was an improvement. Duo landed and walked over to her. She asked, "How was it?"

"Incredible," he answered truthfully as he looked her in the eyes. Then his stomach growled as if he'd been using his magic for long enough to make him hungry, but not make him pass out. He tilted his head and added, "And I'm hungry now, see you guys in a bit!" With that, he ran to the kitchen and fixed himself a sandwich.

******

After a few days later, the three could easily fly around Blue Haven at high speeds. Still, Vegeta was the fastest and the strongest and he was still calling the shots as leader. Or trying too, anyway. With Heero and Duo as well as 18 there, it was easier said than done. Heero and 18 would ignore Vegeta's orders while Duo would outright defy them, until the Sayan gave one of his infamous pulled punches to shut the God of Death up.

It was after one of their little skirmishes that Hotaru was holding a Kold Pack to Duo's forehead. He snapped, "Why does he have to punch me so damned hard?"

"He could have easily crushed your skull, Duo, you know that," Hotaru chuckled as she placed one of her warm hands on the now chilled wound. The warm energy poured through her hands and into the knot. It kneaded it and smoothed the flesh out. Duo groaned at the warmth, the energy.

He took her hand and gently rubbed her wrist with his thumb. She looked at him with her wide violet eyes as he pulled her to his lap. "You know, you could make that a part of foreplay."

"I wouldn't know," Hotaru replied, her cheeks turning crimson.

Duo tilted his head and studied her. He asked, "Don't you remember things from your previous lives?"

"Yes, every little detail," Hotaru answered, blushing deeper.

Duo's eyes widened as the realization dawned on him. "You mean you've never . . .?" he stopped there, making it a question.

"Never, in all of my lifetimes," she answered, looking down.

Duo smiled mischievously and kissed her. Even after these few days, each kiss came to them as a shock. She felt like cool, calming water and tasted like wild honey and smelled like lavender. Each kiss was a wonderful, soul shattering experience that left them both craving more.

When they parted, he was satisfied to see her pale face flushed with something other than maidenly modestly. He leaned to her ear and whisper, "I promise to fix that, babe." Her eyes widened in surprise as Duo chuckled, "Not now. Not yet." He rubbed her back and promised, "When it happens, I want it to be the right time and the right reasons for both of us."

Not able to speak, Hotaru leaned in and kissed him, harshly. He smiled under her lips and pulled her closer, trying to get more of her. Still, for his little dragonfly, he was willing to wait.

******

Trunks said, "Still, it's kinda unnerving."

"What?" Heero asked in his monotone.

The two walked out of Heero's impressive information system's room, which included several high-powered computers that would have made Bulma green with envy. Trunks looked over at the slender, lithe young man and Heero returned the gaze with dark, fathomless blue eyes. He answered, "18, you, Dad, everything."

"Why?" Heero asked as they turned the corner.

Trunks shrugged and answered, "The Android 18 that I knew in my time was a real bitch, a savage killer without remorse. This one . . ."

"Is a money hungry bitch," Heero supplied.

Trunks looked over at him and shook his head. He replied, "No, she's more than that. She cares about you, about Hotaru and doesn't want anything to happen to you. She misses Krillin and her daughter. She wants to help us fight Mistress Nine."

"18 some times will surprise you, Trunks, as does Duo," Heero stated.

Trunks smiled and said, "Oh, Duo's full of surprises, I'm not doubting that, Heero. He may do some things that may surprise you."

"The magic? It's not surprising, really. He use to read all of these vampire novels when I knew him," Heero replied with a shrug.

Trunks looked him over and commented, "No, I'm talking about . . ."

"The God of Death? Duo's heroics even though he claims that he's not? I've known Duo longer than you, Trunks. I've seen him run head first into danger and come out unscaved. He's saved my life when I threatened to kill him. He's shot me twice. Duo's chaotic," Heero declared to him.

Trunks shut his mouth. There were things to his braided friend that he hadn't known about; that was obvious. Trunks had told him everything about the androids, Gohan, time traveling, meeting his father for the first time, Cell, Freeza, the Sayan race, and becoming immortal. He hadn't left any details out and he realized when he told Duo this it wasn't for Duo's knowledge, it was for him. It was a therapy of sorts and it worked.

They said nothing as they opened the door to the kitchen. They figured that Duo and Hotaru would be in here, especially after Vegeta had gave Duo one good punch. Luckily for the human, Vegeta had pulled the blow. Still, from personal experience, Trunks knew that a pulled blow from Vegeta still hurt like hell.

When they opened the door, Trunks was surprised to find Hotaru sitting in Duo's lap and the two of them engaged in a fierce kiss. Trunks blushed as he shut the door and pressed his back up against it. He looked up at Heero with wide eyes and asked, "Are you surprised?"

"No. Hotaru's always had feelings for Duo. She use to gaze at his picture on the vid-screen when she thought no one was looking. As for Duo . . . Well, Hotaru would be the type of girl that he would fall for," Heero answered with a casual shrug.

Suddenly there was banging on the door and Duo shouting, "Move the fuck away Trunks Briefs! I know what you saw and you're probably trying to stop a gushing nose bleed!"

Heero actually smiled as he pulled a very surprised Trunks away from the door. Duo opened the door and Hotaru stood with him, giggling slightly. She asked, "Did you see the look on his face?"

Duo smirked evilly and nodded. "Yep." He leaned closer to Trunks and the demi-Sayan glared at the witch. Duo studied his face, his nose in particular, and stated, "Awww, no nose bleed. Dammit."

Trunks glared, trying to twist his face into a Vegeta-esque look, and snapped, "Why on Earth do you want me to have a nose bleed?"

"Because you interrupted us," Hotaru said crossly, a mischievous look crossing her eyes.

Heero looked at them both and stated, "I'm glad we did. 18 would have thrown a fit if she saw the kitchen in shambles." With that, he walked away, nothing in his face that could be read. And Duo claims his guy as his best friend? The androids of my time were more human, Trunks thought crossly as Hotaru and Duo both blushed.

******

"Anything? Rampaging androids? Trunks Briefs needing a body guard? I don't care, Jim, is there just something?" Gene asked as he sat down beside his partner.

The blond boy looked him over and tucked strands of his dark blond hair behind his ear. He shook his head and replied, "Nothing, Gene. Dammit, but we aren't hurting and our debt is payed."

"Yeah, but I'm just so board. Maybe we could send that one android on a rampage and stop him," Gene replied with a manic gleam in his dark blue eyes. Melfina walked in and Gene smiled. He said, "Hey Mel."

"Hi Gene, I've got snacks if anybody wants them. Well, before Ashia eats them all," she added with a chuckle.

She walked over to them and Gene wrapped an arm around her waist and pulled her close. He looked up into her huge brown eyes and smiled. "Why don't you sit down and talk with us, Melfina?" he suggested.

Melfina snuggled closer to him and asked, "So, what are you two talking about?"

"How boring it's been since we finished that job for Yuy," Gene answered, rolling his eyes.

Jim replied, "Even though, for once, Gene has a point. We should be trying to find something before our good luck runs out."

"Hell, just give me something to do," Gene moaned, leaning back on his chair.

Suddenly, the door burst open and Ashia, in her transformed mode, flipped back, snarling, claws unsheathed, and attacking something. Gene, Jim, and Melfina stood up. Gene pushed Mel to Jim and said, "Get her to the Outlaw Star and make shure she's safe, Jim."

"Got it Gene. Come on, Melfina," Jim replied, tugging at Melfina's sleeve. Gene pulled out his caster and loaded it with a No. 6 shell. Ashia was flung across the room, hitting the wall hard. The werecat stood up, wiped blood off of her lips, and snarled wildly.

Hovering into the room was the threat. She was tall, long legged and her tight, black leather dress with the thigh high slits only accented that. She had long pink hair done in pig tails and her eyes were a rich, intense crimson. She was cackling with black energy like lightning and smiled at Melfina.

"Ah, I'm glad that you're here. You're coming with me," she stated in a sinister voice.

Jim took off running to the back exit, pulling Melfina along. Gene aimed the Caster and smirked. "I don't think so, baby, now why don't you just . . ." He fired.

The spell wrapped itself around her, only fading into nothing. She giggled as the blue fire faded away. She held out her hand, displaying long, manicured fingernails, and stated, "Nice try, but it won't work, Fly Boy."

Black energy cackled and Gene tipped over the couch. He dove behind it and duck down as the energy shot out through the fabric and wood. He flinched as some of it escaped the make shift barrier and hit him. He cursed loudly and foully as the pain over came him in waves. He fell to the ground, shouting at Jim to run and save Melfina, but the femme fatal shot Jim.

"Gene! Jim!" Melfina cried as Jim was blasted against the wall. She ran over to the preteen and checked him over. The lady in black kept advancing, her long skirts swishing over Gene. Gene grabbed the heavy leather and yanked.

One stiletto heal twisted, sending her off balance as he tugged harder. She fell to the ground and Gene rolled, punching her in the stomach. She knelt on the ground in a pool of pink pig tails and leather. She looked up at him with angry, ruby eyes and hissed, "Die, you insolent fool!"

"No!" Melfina shouted as she picked up Gene's castaway Caster and loaded it with one of the shells that Jim kept on him. She aimed at the lady and black and fired. The black flame dragon wrapped around her, making the lady in black scream angrily before she shooed the spell away.

She was singed and barely able to stand up. Gene rushed at her, and at the same time, so did Ashia. They tackled her; Gene's fists flying and Ashia's claws shredding anything they touched. Ashia snarled angrily, "Never cross a Kartal-Kartal!"

"What do you want with Mel anyway?" Gene asked as he threw another punch. She caught it with her delicate, pale hands and held Gene easily.

The lady in black stood up and replied, "It doesn't concern you, idiot."

"Yeah, it does, bitch! Mel's my girl and if anything wants to hurt her, they're going to have to go through me first!" Gene shouted as he pulled out his pistol from his holster and shot her.

She caught the bullet and flung it to the floor. "Such crude weaponry," she retorted with a shake of her head.

"Silent Glave Apply!" a familiar voice shouted as a wave of purple energy sent the lady in black to the ground.

Gene looked up and could have been more surprised if someone had just dropped a million Wong on his steps. In the new hole in his roof, hovering there was Vegeta, Trunks, Sailor Saturn, Duo Maxwell, Android 18, and Heero Yuy holding Suzuka. They landed and Suzuka stated, "I thought that you could use some help."

******

Saturn smirked at Wicked Lady and said, "You're outnumbered."

Duo came up behind her and wrapped an arm around her waist and added, "And outgunned."

"Out classed," Vegeta stated with a snort.

"You're going to lose," Trunks said with the same arrogance as his father as he drew his sword.

"So just give up," 18 reasoned as she crossed her arms.

Heero pulled out his pistol and threatened, "Omae O Korosu."

Wicked Lady then, suddenly, unexspectantly, laughed. Cell materialized from darkness and joined her. He said, "What, do you think that she would come alone?"

Vegeta smiled as he took a stance. Saturn spun her glave. The two looked at each other and nodded. Saturn charged Wicked Lady as Vegeta screamed as the golden aura enveloped him. Cell's eyes widened as blue cackles of lightning formed around Vegeta as his hair grew slightly longer. Then, with another scream, his long hair flowed down to the ground almost in a wild parody of his normal hair. His eyebrows faded as he stood there.

Cell suddenly looked afraid. Vegeta smiled and asked, "What, did you think after all these years that I would not push myself? That I would ascend past Gohan and even Kakkarot? You're a fool, Cell."

"I'm not surprised at all Vegeta . . ." Cell began as Vegeta shouted in victory as he fired a powerful bolt of energy in some new form of attack at the construct. Cell tried to fly away, but it was too little, too late. There was nothing left, but it took out half of the building that they were in as well.

Saturn sliced at Wicked Lady with her glave. Vegeta turned to them, powered down until he was just a regular Super Sayan. Wicked Lady smiled and said, "Oh, I'm not done yet."

Saturn heard Duo shout, "Holy fuck!"

"The hell!" Heero snapped.

"It can't be!" 18 cried.

Saturn turned around and almost dropped her Glave. Standing there, dressed in head to toe in a black suit of armor leaning on a sword identical to Trunks' was well . . . Trunks. This time's Trunks. Present Trunks.

With a black nine carved into his forehead.

******

Trunks stood there in disbelief as he looked at himself. The black armor gleamed in the light and the sword looked like molten silver. Chibi smirked and asked, "Why do you look so surprised, Miari? You look like as if you've just seen a ghost. Is 18 that disturbing to you? Well, I shall take care of that for you, after all, I don't like to see you hurt."

Before Trunks could do anything, Chibi charged at Android 18, turning into a Super Sayan as he did. 18 cried out as she managed to dodge the sword swinging at her. Chibi smirked evilly at her as he caught her wrist.

He leaned to her and stated, "You know, you and your daughter look so much alike and are so inferior. Why do you think I chose Pan over her? Because I loved Pan? No, because Pan was of my own kind and not the freakish crossing between an android and a bald, midget monk."

Fear and anger dawned in 18's icy blue eyes and an over whelming feeling of protection filled the demi-Sayan. He heard Duo start to chant and Chibi pointed a hand at him. "Oh, no, Hotaru's little boyfriend, no nastys to cast at me." The blast of golden energy rushed at Duo.

Trunks tried to fly and throw his friend out of the way, but Duo's wards erected themselves and managed to block the energy. Partly. Instead of killing him, Duo simply passed out. Hotaru screamed at his name out and Chibi blasted her. Instead of going for a kill shot, he simply knocked her out before turning back on 18.

"You little bitch. You almost kept me from being born, you know, causing that Boy scout Imitation to come back to the past and warn Goku," Chibi continued.

Trunks finally got the nerve to attack. He pulled out his sword and swung. Steel clashed with steel as Chibi fought back. The two went on until Trunks had to turn Super Sayan. He smirked and said, "You know I'm more powerful than you! Give it up and besides, what would Mom say?"

"Mom for all intents and purposes is dead! And here you are, Father's favorite with his time travel and begging for exception! He should have loved me, but you kept getting in the way! All I heard when growing up was how Mirai Trunks came back to the past and helped everyone stop the androids and Cell! That's all I ever heard!" Chibi raged as his power spiked. His hair grew and the electrical ki currents ran along his body so much that Trunks gasped in surprise.

"How?" Trunks asked as he locked swords again.

Chibi smirked and stated, "I'm not finished yet." They sprang apart, trading sword blows again, the alien steel sending sparks. Then, suddenly, Chibi's sword cut across Trunks' cheek, blood trickling out of the sharp wound.

Trunks placed his hand on the bleeding cut and looked at the other version of himself. Chibi snorted, "Surprised, Mirai? That I would hurt you? Well, I'm planning to kill you, and . . ."

Vegeta was there, in SS2 mode as well, ready to send a sharp chop to Chibi's neck. Without blinking, Chibi grabbed his father's wrist. Trunks' eyes widened as did Vegeta's. Vegeta snapped, "Snap out of it, son! You can fight it! You are a Sayan!"

"And that's another thing that always pissed me off, Father, you and your little Sayan monologues. Vegeta-sei is a planet that's been destroyed for hundreds of years and yet you still go on about how great it is to be a Sayan. Well, I'm not a child anymore and you're not going to kill yourself fighting Buu to save my life. Mom's dead, Vegeta, you just don't know it yet," Chibi leered.

Vegeta shouted in rage, "I am your father! You will address me in that manor!"

"If you're my father then why did you love him more than me? Why did you always seek to find him and not me? Why didn't you stay with me after Bra died? Why? Vegeta, tell me that," Chibi accused.

Vegeta's eyes widened and he just looked at his son. Chibi threw him against the wall and stated, "I thought so." Trunks looked around to see Wicked Lady standing amidst of all the unconscious bodies of the crew of the Outlaw Star, holding Melfina in her arms and throwing down a broken bokken to the ground.

18 flew after Wicked Lady, shouting, "Let her go, you monster!"

Chibi blasted her. Trunks screamed, "18! No!" He flew after her. She lay in the mist of the rubble, her soft, pale blond hair falling into her face. He turned back to normal and lifted her up.

Those icy blue eyes opened as she wrapped her arms around her. "I'd never would have expect you to come to my rescue," she quipped, "But I know why they want Melfina."

Trunks looked over to see Vegeta trading blows with Chibi, trying to shout some reason into him. Heero held his pistol as he crept behind Chibi. Trunks asked, "What's Heero doing?"

"He's seeing Chibi as a threat. He's going to try to kill him, or distract him for Vegeta to do so," 18 answered as she tried to stand on her own. Heero was swatted away like a fly from the battle, getting knocked out as well.

Trunks turned to a Super Sayan again and reached level two. He asked, "Wanna charge Bondage Girl while I deal with me?"

"That's exactly what I was planning," 18 told him with a smile as she flew toward Wicked Lady.

"Trunks Vegeta Briefs!" Trunks snarled as he charged back into battle with his sword drawn.

Chibi turned at him with a smile, then pointed to 18 again. "Gallic Gun," he stated easily, causing Vegeta to draw back in shock and make Trunks freeze. The golden energy rushed at 18, slamming her into the rubble again.

Chibi looked at them and said, "Don't look so surprised, Father. I know all of your attacks as well as my own. I could pull a Fatal Flash and get rid of everyone here, but I have more important business to attend to." With that, Chibi, Wicked Lady, and Melfina faded into darkness once again.

Trunks and Vegeta faced each other, neither one speaking, neither one wanting to. They looked around at all of their friends and started to assess the damage. Trunks sheathed his sword and walked over to Duo and Hotaru.

******

It was completely dark. Melfina kept calling out for Gene until Trunks threatened to slap her. She quieted at that, not knowing what the possessed Sayan would do to her. The lady in black pushed her down.

The only light in this realm, reminding her slightly of the Galactic Leyline, was this strange, purplish glow. Standing in the center of this glow was a tall, slender woman with long raven hair that flowed behind her like a wedding train. Her eyes were a dark, fathomless, evil violet and she had lavender lips. She was clad in an elaborate black gown that shone like a black diamond.

The lady in black bowed to her. The lady in black stated, "Here's the girl, Mistress Nine, your host."

Mistress Nine trailed around her, looking her over. She ran her fingers through Mel's hair and Mel jumped back. She snapped, "Don't touch me."

"Not bad. She wasn't born, but she'll do just nicely. She also has had power before, haven't you?" Nine asked her.

Melfina crossed her arms defiantly and thought, Gene, where are you? Still, she answered, "I was the Maiden of the Leyline."

"Interesting. Now my dear girl, why my Wicked Lady brought you here is because I need a body. You don't have any choice in this matter, but it's a great honor," Nine explained.

Melfina said the one thing that Gene would have said, "Fuck you."

"Fowl little thing, isn't she?" Nine asked.

Trunks snorted and answered, "You should see her boyfriend. He's an outlaw."

"And what about Saturn?" Nine asked as she crossed her bare arms.

Wicked Lady answered, "She has a boyfriend as well, a powerful witch named Duo Maxwell. He was one of the two Gundam pilots who went missing all of those years ago."

"Put in status by one of their own. Yes, I know the story, but why didn't you bring them to me?" Nine asked her minion. Mel didn't really think that Trunks was a minion; after all, his father was the Sayan prince.

Wicked Lady answered, "Because the situation . . ."

Nine looked at Trunks and asked, "Trunks?"

"The Scout and her fucktoy aren't any of my business, Nine. The only thing I care about is killing my boy scout doppleganger and my arrogant asshole father. I'll prove that I'm better on their graves," Trunks answered with a wicked smile.

Melfina snapped, "Then why did you try to kill Duo?"

"Because his magic would have affected me, even if it was only momentary, but a moment is all Vegeta needs," Trunks answered with a manic grin.

Melfina screamed, "You monster! You almost killed Gene!" Then she pointed at Wicked Lady, "And you horrible bitch, what about Ashia? She could be dead!"

"Not that it matters, Melfina. None of this won't concern you in a matter of moments," Nine told her with a cunning smile.

Melfina backed up, knowing that Nine was about to make her move. She tried to take off running, but unbelievably, Nine's hair shot at her like tenticals and lifted her off whatever surface she was running on in the darkness.

Nine pulled Melfina over to her with a smile. She gently touched her face and stated, "Don't worry. You won't feel anything after this." Her eyes glowed black then everything else fell away into nothingness. Melfina's last thought was that she hoped that Gene was safe.

******

"They took Melfina," Gene kept saying over and over, pacing back and forth. Trunks stood leaning against the wall, thinking everything over in his head. He had lost his temper and everyone had gotten hurt because of it. They even lost someone who wasn't part of their group because of him. It was all of his fault.

Vegeta finally snapped, "Yes, we know that, Starwind. Just shut the hell up. We're trying to think of a plan."

"Well, it was your son's fault! He was the one who did this!" Gene raged at the ancient Sayan.

Trunks flinched at that. He looked at the carnage. Suzuka was treating a wound on Heero's forehead, talking softly to him. 18 was hovering around the hole that they had blasted into the ceiling, looking around for any traces of where Chibi had fled too. Jim was being mothered by Ashia and, of course, Duo and Hotaru were tending to each other.

Vegeta argued, "Trunks was under possession."

"How the hell do you know that?" Gene shouted at him.

Vegeta growled, "Because of the black nine on his forehead, baka, that's why. Mistress Nine has my son under her thrall and there's nothing he could do about it."

"He seemed pretty willing to me! And what about your other son? All he did was fight himself, at least where I was on the ground and bleeding at!" Gene snapped as he pointed to Trunks.

Trunks flinched. Help came from an unexpected source. 18 landed and stated, "No, he was protecting you by fighting Chibi."

"He seemed more interested in saving your pretty ass than anything," Gene accused.

18 replied, "I was the only one left in the fight except Vegeta. He needed me alive."

No, I wanted to save her, Trunks thought with sudden realization as he met her icy blue eyes. Her eyes widened in realization and her expression softened at him. Then she turned back to Gene. Gene went on, "It's obvious that you've got the hots for each other! I could have told you that the first time I saw you two together, always arguing and fighting!"

"So. For a moment all you thought about was saving Melfina, not anything else, not even yourself," Heero spoke up, standing up on sparking limbs. Trunks flinched as he saw the damage to Heero's cybernetics.

Finally, Trunks spoke up, "It was my fault. I should have killed him, I know, but I . . ."

"Couldn't. It would have been committing suicide in a sense," Vegeta put in for him, "And you knew as well as I did that he was being controlled."

"He looked pretty in charge to me," Gene growled.

Vegeta whirled on him and snapped, "Human, I could rip you apart limb from limb and wouldn't even break a sweat. So shut up and listen to me. I was possessed once and the person possessing me convinced me that I was in control. I fought him off for the most part, but he was still there, causing me to battle my best friend, even though I didn't know it at the time, and be responsible of the release of a powerful evil."

"Majin Buu," Duo stated as he stood up, holding just simple Hotaru by the waist.

Vegeta nodded at him and went on, "Trunks may be my son but he's not me. Something has a hold on him and making him do things that may seem like things he wanted to do but always was afraid to. And we have to help him."

"It's too late," Hotaru cried suddenly, clinging to Duo.

Duo asked, "Dragonfly, what is it?"

"Nine has form," she stated quietly, tears welling her eyes.

Trunks pounded the wall, this was all of his fault, and there was nothing he could do about it. The already ruined wall fell around him, leaving him in a cloud of dust. 18 walked over to him and placed a hand on his shoulder.

"Trunks, don't blame yourself. We need all the Super Sayan help we can get right now and we need the son of Bulma Briefs to put Heero back together again," 18 told him, rubbing his shoulder. Trunks looked over to see Suzuka holding a still sparking Heero up.

Duo walked over to him as did Vegeta. Heero hobbled over without help and Hotaru moved over as well, taking hold of Duo again, as if he was a life line. Duo stated, "We've been through worse, haven't we, Heero?"

"Hai," Heero answered, nodding his head, "Zechs trying to destroy the Earth."

Duo shrugged and added, "Mairemeia."

Heero stated, "We're in this too, Briefs."

"Yeah, the only friend other than you I have is Heero and he's no fun," Duo told him, clasping his shoulder.

Vegeta stated, "Besides, we can't let a mere woman beat us."

"Sexist pig," 18 snapped.

Suzuka picked up the shards of her wooden sword and stated, "I'm in."

Gene gathered up his Caster and Jim handed him some shells. Gene loaded it and stated, "I'm in to save Mel."

"This is going to be a blast. I'm in!" Ashia stated, "I'll show that Sayan what a real Katarl-Katarl can do!"

Jim said, "Well, the universe is in danger and I guess I don't want it to be, so I'm in."

Duo smirked and said, "So, Trunks, ready to go kick your ass or what?"

Hotaru stated, "It's Nine that we need to worry about. If what I'm sensing is true, not even my power could kill her."

"Then we need to get stronger," Vegeta said simply, "Or find her weakness."

Duo cheered, "Whoohoo! Another off kilter battle, here we come!"

Trunks only smiled and 18 smiled back. "You better prove yourself, Trunks," she threatened.

As they talked, the sky went black. Hotaru stated, "It's begun, Nine's going to bring the world into silence."

"Well, we can't let her do that then," Trunks stated.

Vegeta snapped, "Everyone who can fly, grab someone who can't."

Duo grabbed Gene because he was the only one who was close to the tall redhead's height. Vegeta took Jim and turned to Heero. He asked, "Can you move?" Heero nodded and rotated his arm in a 360, sending sparks everywhere.

Hotaru flinched and Duo looked it over. Duo stated, "I think I can fix this."

"I was hoping you'd say that," Heero told his friend.

Trunks took Ashia and Gene from Duo while 18 took Suzuka. Vegeta commanded, "Hotaru, I want you to stay here with Duo, incase Nine attacks here. You may be our last hope."

Hotaru said, "I hope it doesn't come to that."

Trunks looked at Duo and said, "Hurry up."

Heero glared at him and Trunks asked, "What? I bet you missed him in battle when he wasn't there."

Duo snorted, "And Mr. Perfect Soldier is going to tell you that." Then, suddenly, unexspectly, Duo hugged him. He whispered, "You and 18 better get out of this alive."

Trunks blinked and asked, "That obvious?"

"Yeah, plus I wanna give you hints on your sex life," Duo added mischievously as he backed away.

Trunks shook his head and drawled, "Duo . . ."

"Go. I'm not good at good byes, buddy. I'll see you soon, okay. Just leave us some action, okay," Duo told him.

Gene said, "Be sure to, Maxwell. Come on, let's go save Melfina."

Hotaru cleared her throat and told them, "It may come down to you killing her, I'm going to warn you that right now."

"Not on my watch," Gene told her as he checked his Caster.

Vegeta bellowed, "Come on, we're not getting any younger!" Trunks looked Duo over one last time and Duo threw something at him. Trunks caught it and realized it was Duo's cross.

"Don't lose it or I'll kick your ass, Super Sayan or not," Duo snapped as they began to fly away.

Trunks looked down at them and said, "Be safe, Duo." Then he looked at his father who only looked ahead.

Trunks squared his shoulders, despite the fact he was holding two people in his arms as he flew. There was a battle coming and he needed to be ready. Still, he was going to save Chibi at all costs.

******

"Ryoko, it's happened, you better hurry," Washu warned on the vidscreen.

Goku was feeding his face with his normal glee as Ryoko talked. Goku knew that their next stop would be the New Namick to wish on its Dragon Balls. And then he would meet up with Vegeta again, and Goku was looking forward to that.

Despite all the anger and hatred that Vegeta had held toward him in the beginning, Goku thought that Vegeta had a lot of potential and was wondering if the rumors of him going around and stopping evil while on a quest to save Bulma was true or just story. Knowing Vegeta, it was partially the truth and that the real truth was going to be much more spectacular than that.

To Be Continued!

Author's Notes: Yeah, I told you that there was going to be 18/Trunks in this story, they're just not the focus couple. I may warn you that it may be a little while until the next chapter, so bare with me, please, and if you know Saturns attacks, I need to know them! Please! I'm begging! Also, reviewing and feedback feed me and keep me writing. Thanks!