Gundam Wing Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Isolated Rain ❯ Intersection #01 - Uninvited ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]







Isolated Rain


-------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------------------

"Be kind to strangers. A 'hello' can go a long way. And who knows, that stranger might not be a stranger at all."
- Unknown -

---------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------


Nothing lasts forever, even cold November rain, she mused with a distant smile on her face, her garnet red heels clicking on the cobblestone pavement while stepping into insignificant, miniscule puddles here and there. The indian red trenchcoat she wore covered her body from the harsh winds, freezing temperatures, and pouring rain emitted from the tempest of the night. Enchanting, mysterious garnet eyes were on high alert, searching at the places and people she passed as raven locks of hair danced gently in the wind. Umbrella's, scarfs, gloves, and hats of different shapes, styles and colors decorated the streets like a parade on New Year's Eve, her sticking out like a sore thumb as usual, being the only one without either types of protection in the freezing near below zero temperature. None looked at her as she passed through inside the crowds. They all had their own lives, their own business, their own problems. They didn't have time to look at someone like her and worry for her own safety.

To be honest, she wouldn't give a damn of someone asked her if she needed a hat, a scarf, a umbrella, or a pair of gloves. A trenchcoat was all she needed, thank you very much. She too didn't have time to worry for her own health. Her health was put aside ever since she was born. Or created? Designed? Whatever. She was the embodiment of time and space itself, she was and still is the guardian of the time stream. Meioh Setsuna, the Senshi of Time and Space, Chronus' daughter. Health was immune to her needs, for she was immortal. One of the strongest curses ever made possible. If she could make a top three list of the worst possible ways to torture a person's soul, the third best would be being reborn over and over again according to destiny, second best would be her punishment -- immortality -- and the winner would indefinately be an endless reaccuring nightmare that no one could awake from. Thankfully, she only had the second best of all agony. Still, it was a torture she wished that could stop.

The other senshi had lives, something she would never have. They all had something to live for, fullfill their destinies, and after their missions are complete, they could all be reborn as another person with no memories of anything from the past. All of the senshi get to have their own carefree, joyfull lives once they are done with the chains of destiny. Being thoughtful for her friends, she took the liberty to check on their future reincarnations, all of them that seemed to be completely in order. She couldn't prevent the sorrows and anguish and horror that came with them. They were apart of life, they were all natural. Life is a contradiction, and she can't go ahead and fix up those contradictions to just one side. The time stream would colapse because of it, and she would cease to exist. I'm the walking contradiction, she thought, crossing the street with a gigantic sea of people swarming around the crosswalk like a plague of locsuts, and I have to make sure those contradictions stay.

Dismissing her unforgivening thoughts for now, Setsuna walked towards the corner coffee shop called "The Jazz Messangers." She had taken a liking to this coffee shop ever since she came to visit this timeline of A.C 205, already thinking about listening to some soothing music with a cup of mocha latté brewing inside her cupped bronze colored hands. Opening the glass green rimmed doors with the silver handle, she walked right in as she swiftly took of her trenchcoat, hanging it up on a coat rack next to the door on her right side. Placing the tip of her hair inside her hands, she tightly squeed whatever traces of water from the heavens above onto the floor of the shop. Shaking her head, Setsuna straightened her long-sleeved garnet wool shirt, along with her silk black skirt that reached to her ankles. Once satisfied, she walked up to the counter of the coffee shop to place her order.

"Ohayo Setsuna-san," Matthew greeted with a wave. Setsuna smiled warmly at Matthew. She had been a regular to the small coffee shop for about two months now, and had befriended a worker known as Matthew. His looks were that of someone completely dorky and a computer nerd, greasy bowl-cut chesnut brown hair, thick green glasses, and innocently shaped olive green eyes which always seemed to sparkle with a love for life. Something about that sparkle of his reminded her of Usagi-hime back in the past. Again, Setsuna dimissed those contemplations and decided to take her order.

"Ohayo Matthew-san," she calmly replied, "I would like to have a medium mocha latté with a side dish of a apple turnover."

"The usual, right Setsuna-san?" Matthew implied as he totaled up her order. "It comes out to seven sixty-one."

Taking out her money and placing it on the counter, she inquired, "The usual."

Matthew took the money from the counter, placing it into the cash register as he said, "Heh. Your spot is open Setsuna-san and your order will be done in ten minutes."

"Arigatou," Setsuna thanked with a nod, walking towards the right, her low-heeled shoes clicking on the slick floor. Taking the two green colored benched seat with a brown wooden table in the middle, she sat down slowly, closing her eyes as she started to relax in her seat. Setsuna sighed contently, hearing the raindrops fall on the window and the ground, creating the puddles that she was stepping into a while ago. Opening her eyes, she locked her sight onto a small glass vase with a ripe garnet red rose tilted towards the right inside of it. She loved this spot mostly because of the view of the outside and the small rose decorating the table. She always associated red roses to her home with all the senshi.

Thanks to her perevial vision, she saw in the corner of her eye a silhoette of a figure wearing a trenchcoat walking inside the coffee shop. Removing her attention from the rose to the figure, Setsuna watched as the new stranger took off the midnight black trenchcoat and hanging it next to her indian red trenchcoat, the two colors mixing together perfectly immediately. She scanned his features quickly: unruly deep chocolate brown hair with long bangs that framed his face, the lenght of his hair that went near enough to his waist, the style tied up in a low ponytail, the body with muscles that looked like he took steriods, a height of at least six feet or more, probably somewhere in the age range of twenty, a chiseled stone face, black silk pants, a green tank top, and emotionless prussian blue eyes with a look of absolutely nothing to them.

She watched him with cautious garnet red eyes as he walk up to the counter, arms completely crossed. There was something about this guest that made her sense go sky high. Something intriguing about this young boy. Maybe it was the fact that he was completely emotionless, that nothing resourcefully human emitted from his eyes. Setsuna always took into account about people's eyes. Eyes were the window's in people's hearts, minds, and souls. For this man, he seemed to have the window shut, locked, the blinds down, and the curtain closed from anyone nearing him. This proved to be a challenge to Setsuna, and any challenges she met would get conquered no questions asked.

"Ohayo! Welcome to The Jazz Messangers. May I take your order?" Matthew greeted to the stranger.

"A medium chocolate cocoa with a pumpkin turnover," he answered in what seemed to be a robotic tone.

Oblivious to the tone in the man's voice, Matthew totaled up his order quickly, then saying, "That'll be five thirty-two, sir." The man put a ten on the counter, which Matthew took instantly. While he was counting up the man's change, he introduced himself in a cheery voice, "By the way, my name is Matthew! What's yours stranger?"

"None of your concern," the man snapped back, taking his money from the counter, leaving a dumbfounded Matthew behind.

"Well hello to you too, Mr. Friendly," Matthew muttered with narrowed eyebrows, dismissing the man's rude attitude and making up his order.

Although none of the emotions went to her face, Setsuna was appauled by the man's behavior to her new little friend Matthew. She now knew she had to figure out this guy before she left. What startled her was that this stranger, this uninvited guest, was walking straight to her table. Before she could protest, he walked over to her and sat on the opposite chair of her table.

"You've been watching me," he stated, Setsuna taking into account he had just as sharp senses as she does.
"Your point is?" Setsuna asked, slightly raising an eyebrow.

"People always have an objective to watch someone," he answered cooly, locking his prussian blue eyes with her garnet red eyes.

A faint smile appeared on her lips as she replied, "You interest me."

His eyes narrowed as he asked, "How?"

"Why? What? When? Who? Where? All questions that can't be answered," Setsuna mused, crossing her ankles as he layed her hands folded on the table, adding to her comment, "because that would be telling."

"And you don't tell stories?" he mused.

"I used to," Setsuna answered, her faint smile still plastered on, "but people should figure it out for themselves."

And all he did was smile faintly, just like Setsuna.

A period of silence between the two strangers conquered their conversation until the arrival of two medium sized cups and two different types of turnovers were placed on their table. Setsuna looked up to see Matthew, grinning like a fool as usual. I swear, he must be a long-lost brother of Usagi-hime's, Setsuna thought, her eyes somewhat twinkling at the thought of Usagi back home. She longed to hug Hotaru-chan and her saying Setsuna-mama, to see Michiru and Haruka greet her home, and watch as the other senshi came along and wished her home. The images of home faded away as she nodded to Matthew.

"Arigatou again," Setsuna thanked, taking a sip of her latté.

"No trouble!" Matthew said, waving once again and returning back to the counter.

Once Matthew was gone, she looked towards the man, who just seemed to look at his cocoa in deep thought. His prussian blue eyes seem to have opened the curtians to his window somewhat, but she still couldn't pierce through the rest. She sighed, taking another sip of her latté and gracefully putting it onto her plate. With her hands folded, she took her gaze to the outside, watching as the people ran through the rain, trying to find protection from the harshness of the tempest. Setsuna smiled, for no reason at all. It just seemed to curl up on her face without herself even noticing it. However, someone else did.

"Why are you smiling?" her uninvited guest asked.

"So full of questions," she chuckled slightly, "you remind me of a small child. So pure, so innocent."

"So opposite me," he grimly answered, catching Setsuna off guard.

"What?" she asked, wide-eyed at his outburst.

"I don't repeat myself," he muttered, taking a sip of his cocoa.

"You are a fascination, none of your concern," Setsuna whispered, taking a sip of her latté once again.

He slowly blinked once with an immesurable silence, then whispering, "Pardon?"

"None of your concern is your name, isn't it?" Setsuna mused, amusement in her voice.

"Hn" he grunted, closing his eyes and taking a bite of his pumpkin turnover.

"Oh, it's hn then?" she asked with a smile on her face.

Once he swallow his bite of pumpkin turnover, he opened his prussian blue eyes and whispered, "Baka."

Silence and solitude from each other controlled their conversation once again, as the two ate their turnovers and drank their own drinks. Blues music played over the speakers, soothing Setsuna entirely. She had taken a liking to blues music, for it calmed her nerves whenever she was tense or was completely lonely. She instantly recognized it as one of B.B. King's songs, A World Filled With Strangers. Another reason for liking the small coffee shop was that "The Jazz Messangers" was the only coffee shop that plays old and new jazz and blues tunes throughout the Earth's Sphere and colonies. She started humming to the beginning of the song, and before she knew it, she started singing some of the lyrics.

"You and me don't see eye to eye on every little thing," she whispered going with the beat of the song, "We've missed a lot of sunshine and caught a lot of rain. If you want to leave I can't make you stay --"

"-- But there is something I have to say," her guest finished for her. "I guess the song kind of fits the situation, don't you think?"

"Indeed," Setsuna agreed, with a smile as she said, "there's a world full of strangers out there. A world full of strangers."

"Beware," he said, faintly smirking as he took another sip of his drink. "I tend to like the song, Ain't That Just Like A Woman. A friend of mine would have liked that song too."

"And that's because?" she inquired.

"He's a chavenistic pig," he mused, finishing up his cocoa.

"And your not?" she asked, completely amused at this fact.

"Nope, just women troubles," he said with a large sigh, "a lot of women troubles."

Deciding not to push it, Setsuna left it at that. She looked into his eyes again, knowing that the deeper the conversation got, the more the window to his soul started to unlock. The curtains were open, the blinds were up, the locks were gone, but somehow that window would not shut open. Setsuna sighed, giving into the defeat that this was one man she couldn't open into. She finished her latté, placing the cup on the plate. Before silence could reign again between the two of them, she opened her mouth once again.

"Meioh Setsuna," she introduced herself as.

"Hmm?" he asked, Setsuna noticing that he was deep in thought a minute ago.

"Meioh Setsuna, that is my name," she clarified. "I'll be leaving soon, and I thought you would like to know who this stranger is."

"Your not a stranger anymore," he whispered, finishing up the last bite of his turnover. "Yuy Heero is my name."

"Gundam Pilot 01," she stated.

"I'm not surprised you know. Everyone these days seem to know who I am," he stated, getting ready to leave. "But, who exactly are you?"

"Just another uninvited guest," she whispered, finishing up her turnover. "It was a pleasure to meet you Heero-san. I hope to talk to you once again."

"Likewise, Setsuna-san," he whispered, smiling generously to Setsuna. Both got up and went to the coatrack to get their own trenchcoats, indian red for Setsuna, midnight black for Heero. As they put on their trenchcoats, they locked eyes for a moment. Within both of themselves, they seemed to look inside each windows to their souls. Setsuna had finally opened his window to the inside of his soul. And still she found the same thing: Nothing. Absolutely nothing. But then, she searched deeper, and there it was.

Loneliness, the same emotion she had.

"Would you..." Setsuna started as she looked deeper into his prussian blue eyes, "like some company?"

And that's when she saw a smile on his face, completely genuine.

"I would be glad if you could, Setsuna-chan."

Thus they walked out together, side by side, talking back and forth, in the cold November rain.


---------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------

"True love begins when nothing is looked for in return."
- Antoine De Saint-Exupery -

---------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------