Gundam Wing Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Sailor Pilots ❯ Miracle for Shinigami ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Sailor Pilots 8

Miracle for Shinigami

I do not own SM or GW.

"Hey, Hilde, open the door please," Duo said, knocking on the door and peaking through the peephole. "We gotta talk!"

She opened the door, "Well, look who's here! Give me one good reason for not slamming the door in your ugly face?"

"You're still mad at me for not letting you come along, huh?" Duo asked.

"In case you've forgotten," Hilde muttered, walking into the living room, "I went to great lengths to help you guys!"

Duo shut the door. "And we appreciate that, Hilde."

"What are you doing here?" she demanded.

"I met this girl," he answered honestly. "She broke me out of the prison at the colony. She's very awesome and smart."

"You what?" Hilde shouted, "So that's why you wanted to go alone!"

"I didn't meet her before I left, Hilde," Duo said. "Honest. Duo Maxwell never lies!"

"I am going to kick your Shinigami little ass!" she roared.

"Hey, go ahead," Duo said, "Ami knows first aid."

She punched him in the face. "Thanks for dropping by, Duo! Now I want you to move out!"

"But let me get my stuff!" He had a bloody nose and a black eye.

She went in a room and came back out with a suitcase, "here's your clothes and all your junk!" she pushed it into his arms. "Now get out, you, you, junk dealer God of Death, you!"

"Have a nice day," Duo said, "I'll walk out. I don't think you're strong enough to throw me out."

"Well, let's see!" she opened the door and pushed Duo out the door, "I hope you and Ami have a nice time together!" then she slammed the door.

"What, no kiss?" Duo asked. He rubbed his nose, "dang, how come I'm always getting hurt?"

********************************************************* *****

"Hi, Ami," Duo said. Ami was reading a book outside a diner.

"Hey," she pulled down her book, "Duo, you're bleeding!" She jumped up and sat her book down. "What happened?"

"I told Hilde about you," he replied.

"I guess it's a good thing I didn't come with you," she took a napkin, "sit down and lean forward. Pinch your nose. You have a black eye too!"

"I forgot how tough Hilde was," Duo mumbled, keeping his fingers on his nose, "How long do I have to hold my nose like this?"

"Until you learn to keep people from punching you," she said, "so that might take a while." She took some ice from her drink and placed it on his eye.

"That's cold!" he shouted, squirming.

"Hold still!" she ordered, pressing it onto his eye and wrapping her arm around his shoulders. "I wonder why you keep getting hurt."

"The other kids just like to pick on me," he said, sounding like a little kid.

Ami laughed, dabbing his eye with the ice cube. "You're so funny, Duo."

"Yeah…I know." He grinned.

"So what's up?"

He sniffed and rubbed his nose with the napkin and placed it down. The blood had clotted. Duo looked up at her with seriousness in his cobalt blue eyes, taking away the jolliness that was once there.

"Are you okay?" Ami asked, noticing his expression. She took the ice away from his eye.

"You can travel back and forth in time, right?" he questioned.

She nodded, "well, Sailor Pluto can. She opens the door for us and all we have to do is walk through. Why do you ask?"

"I want to see Maxwell Church again."

"But it's so creepy there," she said.

"No, not now," he said, "I want to go back to year 187, when everything became a mess." (I can't remember what year it was, but I hope I'm close.)

She stepped back, "Duo, why? That will be pretty risky."

"I want to change something," he explained, "and stop those terrorists from killing Father Maxwell and Sister Helen. If I haven't left they wouldn't have killed them and blown up the church."

"They would've killed you," she said.

"I should've stopped them," Duo said miserably. "I should've done something besides just leaving them there."

"You were a kid," she reminded him, taking his hand and giving it a gentle squeeze, "there was nothing you could have done."

"Yeah," he looked down for a while and raised his eyes, "but I'm a gundam pilot now and there's plenty I could do!"

"Are you going to go back to kill them?" she questioned, "That might change the future!"

"It doesn't matter if I kill them or not," he said, "as long as Father Maxwell and Sister Helen survive. If we show up right after the terrorists leave then that's all right. You can help them."

"I'm not a doctor yet, Duo," she said sadly. "All I know is first aid and CPR."

"That will be all I need," Duo said. "I told Sister Helen I'd get a doctor for her…and now I got one. Well, sorta." He sighed, "They didn't deserve to die, Ami."

"You're right, they didn't."

"So will you help me?" Duo asked. "I've seen too many dead people and this may be my only chance to see a miracle."

Ami couldn't look at him and say no. He just looked so sad, so guilty. Duo had been living with this guilt ever since he was a boy. No kid should have to go through what he did. It was just plain wrong. He didn't even believe there was a god because of the kind of things he's seen.

She nodded, "Yes, of course I will."

He embraced her, almost choking her with his arms, "thank you!"

"I can't breathe," she choked.

"I'm sorry," Duo apologized and let go. He smiled the most huge, child-like smile and took her hand. "Well, let's go back in time!"

*********************************************************

"Sailor Pluto," Ami said, "can you help us?"

"Man, this is some freaky place!" Duo exclaimed, looking around the time hall.

"What can I do for you, Pilot Mercury?" Pluto asked.

"Take us to A.C 187 on Colony 02," Ami commanded, "right before Maxwell Church was destroyed."

"This might be my only chance to save Sister Helen and Father Maxwell," Duo added. "They didn't deserve to die and the church did not have to be destroyed."

"That may be pretty risky," Pluto said. "Are you sure about this?"

"It was risky for us to come and help the gundam pilots," Ami reminded, "this shouldn't be any different."

"Please?" Duo whispered.

Pluto nodded, "very well." A closed gate appeared and it opened as they walked up to it. Duo snatched Ami's hand and held it tightly. His eyes were straightforward.

"You okay?" she asked him.

"I've had nightmares about this," he admitted, "I keep seeing the church and seeing Sister Helen lying there. I've also dreamed of going back in time and seeing what I would do to those guys." He chuckled, "hard to believe that I'm actually doing this."

"Let's go, Duo," she said, tugging on his hand, "think of how happy they would be to see you grown up."

"Yeah," he stepped closer and together, they walked into the gate.

********************************************************* **

They fell from the sky and hit the ground. "Man," Duo groaned, "that was some ride but it needs seatbelts!" He laughed, "Can we do it again?"

"Duo," Ami groaned.

He helped her to her feet. "Okay, that wasn't very funny."

"Does any of this look familiar Duo?" Ami asked.

He looked around, "too familiar."

"Remember where the church is?"

"I remember, follow me," he said. They passed buildings and parks and Duo pointed out where he went to school. Big trucks drove by them fast as lightning, almost running them over.

"Hey, watch it!" Duo shouted. He gasped. "It's them."

"Who?"

"The ones who burned down the church," he replied and grabbed her hand, "Come on!" Duo ran as fast as he could to get to the church. One person was left behind to burn it down. Duo could see someone dumping gasoline all over the floor and walls.

"Hold on a minute, Ami," Duo commanded. He walked up to the man. "Hey you!" He grabbed his shoulder and spun him around to punch him in the face. "Why do I think you didn't come here to confess your sins? Huh?"

"What the--?" the man gasped. "Who?"

Ami covered her eyes so she wouldn't have to see what Duo was doing to the remaining terrorist. However, she could still hear the grunts and groans the man was making when Duo was beating the living daylights out of him.

Duo kneed him in the stomach and tripped him; "Get the hell out of here!" He growled. "This is a place of peace, you bastard!"

He looked up at him for a second, as if he saw him before, "you're that kid."

"I'm not a kid," Duo said, "I'm the god of death! Now get lost or I'll set you on fire!"

The man scrambled to his feet and ran away.

Ami walked up to Duo, "was that really necessary?" she demanded.

"I had to do something," Duo said, "He was going to blow up the church!"

"Let's find Father Maxwell and Sister Helen," she said, her hand tightening the handle on her first aid kit.

They walked further inside where they found Sister Helen still conscious, Father Maxwell not. Sister Helen looked up at Duo and crinkled her brow in concentration.

"Duo?" she whispered.

"Yeah, Sister," he said, "It's me."

"You look so much," she murmured, "older."

He smiled and took his braid, "I still wear my hair the same way!"

"Are you two all right?" Ami asked.

"I think so," she said, "but I can't get up and I can't get Father Maxwell to wake up."

Duo helped her sit up, "where do you hurt? Ami knows first aid."

"I think my ankle is twisted," she said. "He pushed me right before he was going to set the church on fire."

"That's no problem," Ami said, "I can handle a twisted ankle." She took out a long bandage and started to wrap her foot and ankle. "Don't put too much pressure on your foot."

She nodded, "thank you."

Ami looked at Father Maxwell, "what happened to him? He wasn't shot, was he?"

"No," Duo answered for her, "some jerk just hit him with the back of his rifle."

"At least they didn't shoot us," Sister Helen said.

"He has a nasty bruise and cut on his head," Ami informed. "I can take care of that."

Duo heard a motor running and thinking that they came back, he ran outside. He stopped when he saw his younger self jump out of the truck. 'Oh yeah,' he thought, 'this was about the time I came back.'

"Who the hell are you?" the younger Duo demanded.

"A friend," Duo answered.

"I don't know you," he muttered. He cocked his head, "but you do look familiar. Have we met?"

"It's possible," Duo said.

Young Duo sniffed, "what's that smell?"

"They were about to burn the church down," Duo replied.

"They were what?!" he shouted, "You're lying to me!"

"I may run and hide but I never tell a lie," Duo admitted. "But I stopped them just in time."

"I don't believe it," he said, "I had no idea."

"Neither did I, kid," Duo sympathized. "Come inside, there are two people that are worried about you." He placed his hand on his shoulder and walked him in. 'Man, this is so weird!' Duo thought.

"Don't worry sir," Ami said, "you'll be okay."

"Where's Duo?" he asked, "He went out," she turned and saw the two Duos walk in, "side?"

"Who are you?" Young Duo questioned.

"She's a friend of mine," Duo answered, "She helped Sister Helen and Father Maxwell."

"My name's Ami," she said with a smile. She looked at Duo, "let's get going."

Duo nodded and they began to leave.

"Hey wait," Young Duo called, "what's your name, buddy?"

Duo and Ami exchanged glances. Duo wasn't sure what to tell him. He turned around and knelt in front of himself. He might as well tell him the truth.

"Duo," he said, "Duo Maxwell."

"You stole my name," he muttered.

"Maybe," Duo said, "maybe not. You might grow up to me!" He stood up at placed his hands on his hips, "do me a favor and watch over them for me, will ya?" he nodded to Father Maxwell and Sister Helen. "I wasn't able to."

"Wasn't?" Young Duo murmured.

"It's a long story and I don't have the time to tell it," Duo said. "It would confuse you anyway." He touched his braid and Young Duo's, "and never, ever take your hair down. Just leave it like this, okay?"

Young Duo looked back at Father Maxwell and Sister Helen. Then smiled at Duo, "Sure, Duo." He touched his hair.

"You'll need to do everything for them," he said, "even fight. So if you ever see some guy with a long nose and funny hairstyle named Doktor G, tell him the god of death sent ya! Trust me, he'll have something for you."

"What something?"

"It's something like a really big toy," Duo said. "Make sure you watch over them for me."

"I will," Young Duo promised. He threw his small little arms around Duo's legs. "'Bye, Duo."

Duo swallowed the lump in his throat before he started to cry. To be hugged by your younger self was maybe the strangest but also the most amazing experience you could ever have in your life. He patted his back, "Take care, kid."

Young Duo noticed the cross around his neck, "that's a nice cross."

"Yeah," he said and touched it. He looked at Father Maxwell and Sister Helen, "It came from the two best friends I ever had in my life. You'll probably get one too." He winked and walked away with Ami.

"Duo, come here, son," Father Maxwell said, "Go into my office and open the top drawer in my desk. There's something there for you."

Young Duo did what he was told and found the small box that held the cross. It looked a lot like Duo's only this one was shinier. Duo's looked kind of old and the ink on the note looked very clear whereas the ink was faded and the paper was crinkly when Ami had found it and brought it to Duo.

He came out wearing the cross, "Thank you, guys," he said. "Will Duo come back?" He sat down on Father Maxell's lap.

"Have you noticed something about Duo?" Sister Helen asked.

"Well, he looked familiar," he admitted, "but I don't remember ever seeing him before."

Sister Helen smiled, "that was you, Duo."

"Me?"

"Yes, didn't you see that he looked so much like you? And he told you never to take your hair down?"

"You'll turn into that nice young man in a few more years," Father Maxwell said.

"Wow," Duo mumbled, "I knew he looked familiar! I wonder if he knew who I was!"

"I'm sure he did," Sister Helen said.

"Will I ever see him again?"

"Maybe someday," she answered.

"I wonder how he got here," Duo said.

"Quite a miracle, isn't it, Duo?" Father Maxwell asked.

"Yeah, the biggest and only miracle I've ever seen."

"That was the biggest and only miracle I've ever seen!" Duo cried, "Wow, there really is a god!"

"I'm glad you feel better, Duo," Ami said.

He picked her up and swung her around, "Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you, thaaaaaaaank you!" He set her down, "hey, let's go further back in time."

"What?"

"I want see what my parents were like," he said. "I don't remember them. Do you have any idea what it's like to live without any parents?"

"Well, my parents are divorced," she admitted, "So I kinda do."

"At least you know who they are," Duo said sadly. "I don't even remember mine. Something must've happened to them when I was just a baby."

"One good miracle calls for another," Ami said. "Come on."

"Yessss!"

Sailor Pluto appeared and took them back to the day Duo was born. Duo and Ami were in a lobby of a hospital.

"I didn't know we were going to go this far in time," Duo said.

"This was probably when everything went wrong," Ami told them.

A nurse walked into a room and Duo could hear the cries of a baby while the door was opened. Moments later she came out with the baby inside a plastic carrier and she pushed the stroller over to the nursery. Duo walked into the room.

"Hey, you might get in trouble for going in there," Ami said, grabbing his arm.

"Ami, my parents are in there," Duo barked. "I have to see them." He went inside the room. "Hi, my name's Duo."

A man with short black hair stood by a woman with long blond hair who was lying in the hospital bed. He smiled, "hello."

"I just wanted to say congratulations," Duo said.

"Thank you," the woman said. "You're a nice looking young man. Your parents must be proud."

Duo had to fight not to get teary eyed, "I sure hope so."

Ami could tell it was a tender moment so she took Duo's hand. He squeezed it in appreciation.

"It was nice meeting you, Duo," the lady said.

"Yeah," he said, "you too."

"Take care."

Duo sniffed. He just wanted to hug them. He was an orphan for as long as he could remember. 'What ever happened to them?' he wondered.

"Ready?" Ami asked.

He nodded, "Yup." He and Ami walked out of the room. They stopped at the nursery window. He could see the newborn Duo in the cradle. Even as a newborn baby he had a head full of brown hair.

Duo smiled, "no wonder my hair grows so fast."

"Would you like to see what happened to your parents?" Ami asked.

"I need to know," Duo said.

And Sailor Pluto showed them a small house. They could see through the window two-year-old Duo sat on the floor playing with toys and his mother was cooking. His father must've been at work and should arrive soon. But he didn't.

There was the sound of bombs going off and Duo's mother went out to investigate it. Duo followed her.

"Wait!" Duo shouted.

But he couldn't do anything even now. The place where his father worked at was bombed and so was many other buildings. The war was starting. Duo found out why he lost his parents; the same way he lost Father Maxwell and Sister Helen. (Okay, maybe it's not true but I don't think any of us know what happened to Duo's parents.)

"No," Duo mumbled and raised his voice to scream, "No! It's not fair!"

"Duo, wait," Ami said, "There is something you could do."

"There is? What?"

"You survived, right?" she asked with a smile. "I'm not sure how but you did."

"Yeah, I did," Duo walked into the house and picked up his two-year-old self. "Don't worry, I'm not going to hurt you." He said to the toddler. He carried him to Maxwell Church. "You'll be safe here. There are two great people here and they'll take care of you."

"Mommy? Daddy?" the boy said.

"Your parents are gone, buddy."

"You'll figure it out when you're older," Duo promised.

He knocked on the door and Father Maxwell. "I found this kid. His parents were killed. Could you take care of him?"

"What's his name?" Father Maxwell asked.

"His name is Duo," he replied.

"Are you his brother?"

"No," he said, "just take care of him, all right? He has nothing left."

Father Maxwell picked him up, "I will."

"Thank you." Duo smiled and walked away. "Let's go back home," he said, taking Ami by the hand.

Ami nodded, "all right," she said. "Had enough miracles, huh?"

"Yeah. I don't think there's anything else I can do now."

The portal opened and they fell back into Earth. "You really should tell Sailor Pluto to put seatbelts on that ride!" Duo groaned.

She smiled, "okay. Do you feel better now?"

"Yes," Duo said. "But I kinda wish I didn't have to see all that. Just more bad memories."

"You saved Father Maxwell and Sister Helen. You even saved yourself," Ami said. "You should feel proud of yourself."

"I am," he said, "because I've finally seen a miracle."

To Be Continued. Next Chapter: Even Solitary Dragons Need Protection.

Don't you all feel happy for Duo now? And also sad for him too? Hey, the next chapter will be Lita/Wufei (Incase you haven't already figured it out) but I need a scenario. Should I have them both join the Preventers or something? Give me some ideas because I'm stumped!