Gundam Wing Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Tears in the Twilight ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]







TITch1



Tears in the Twilight



Hiya! Ok, I know, I know, I'm suppose to be working on three other stories. And I am! Well, sort of... I just got out of my writers block, started this and another DBZ/SM fic, and I'm also working on 'Dire World'. I'm having a lot of fun with that one! Anyhoo, this is going to be one story in a saga. It's called 'The Romance in the Moonlight Saga', and it has five stories. This one is a Duo/Serena story. There will be a Wufei/Serena story, a Heero/Serena story, a Trowa/Serena story, and a Quatre/Serena story. I hope you like it!

Disclaimer: insert ridiculous and/or humerous monolog with standard disclaimer included here.

Chapter One:

The rain beat steadily down on the empty street, but the girl didn't seem to notice or care. Her long hair was hanging in tangled, wet clumps around her. The rags that were her clothes were soaking wet, dripping red water colored by old blood that being rinsed out. They were old wounds, and most of the blood had stained permanently, so the water from the clothes ran clear after a short while. Her face was bruised and dirty, slowly becoming clean from the rain and her tears. She limped as she walked down the old street of the abandoned town. All around her was the rubble of buildings that had been destroyed just a week before, a casualty of war.
Despite the tears running down her checks, no other emotion showed on her face. Her eyes held a deep sadness, and if you looked at her you would know that that sadness had been in her eyes for a long time, and would not easily leave. Other than that her eyes were blank. She was too tired and too bewildered to show emotion. She stumbled once, but righted herself before she fell. She kept walking, not knowing where she was going, not caring. She had no place to go. She had no one to go to.
She had had friends, but they were gone know. They had left looking for a better place, a better life. Or they had disappeared someone, some not wanting to say good bye for fear of heartache, some hoping to come back one day, some leaving to fight in the war. Some were killed. She hadn't had many friends, not close ones, anyway. Only one could come to her mind, and more tears slipped down her cheeks as she though of him.
'He said he would be back for me,' she thought, trying to ignore the pain in her heart. She walked on for about another twenty minutes before she collapsed, able to go no more due to fatigue, hungry, and the pain in her leg. Struggling to keep her eyes open, she pulled herself into a phone booth. Most of the plastic walls were cracked, but they still kept out the rain out. She fell asleep as the sky began to lighten to dark gray in the early dawn.



*****



The boy stood on a hill next to a huge human-shaped machine. He wore black pants and a black short-sleeved shirt that had a collar similar to a priest's. He looked down at the rubble of the town below him. A lone tear trickled down his cheek as he stared with eyes blank and unseeing.
He had spent the past five hours searching the rubble, finding a few bodies of those who had stayed behind. He couldn't find many, most being buried too deep. There hadn't been a large population anyway, and he wondered why OZ had bothered to attack at all. The town had been poor and a good part of it had been run down, most people living on the streets if they hadn't left. Many didn't leave, for they had no where else to go, and at least where they were they had food and shelter. Not good shelter, and very little food, but it was better than nothing. The boy had learned that for himself.
He had found no survivors, as he had hoped, but maybe some people had gotten away in time. Maybe some had had a warning. Maybe...
But he knew it wasn't likely. They weren't near another town, and the attack had been a complete surprise to everyone. He hadn't known until he had gotten there the day before. He had scanned for life signs and found none, but still he searched. He went into other parts of the small town, some where there wasn't so much destruction, but still he found nothing. Contacting his comrades, he had found that the attack had occurred eleven days, about a week and a half, before he had gotten there. There were no records of survivors, even after searching the nearest cities for anyone who might have escaped. They were still searching, but nothing had been found.
The boy- a man, really, despite his young age,- stared blankly at the scene before him as memories assaulted his mind.


~*~*~FLASHBACK~*~*~

A young girl with golden hair, the color of sunshine. She had blue eyes, a beautiful cerulean color, like the clearest tropical ocean. Eyes that held an inner light, eyes that put a smile on ones face. Eyes that held wisdom. A cheerful, bubbly girl, oblivious to the devastation, chaos, ruin and sorrow around her. Oblivious to the war, or perhaps innocent and full of love and life despite of it.
The girl was no more than ten when he first met her. Broken and alone, he lay in the streets of a town on earth. He didn't know which one. He didn't care. The place he had called home since he was young had been destroyed by OZ soldiers. The people that were the closest thing to a family he had were killed. He had seen horrors that no one should have ever seen in a life time, and he still only a boy of twelve. He wandered for awhile, living on the streets of one town or another, not really caring if he lived or died. That was when he met her.
He had been lying on his side in a dark alley way, curled into a tight ball as if trying to block out the rest of the world. He did not cry; his tears were gone, used up. He just lay there, eyes open but unseeing, as if he was lost in thought. But his mind was blank. All he could feel was the pain.
He felt something on his shoulder, breaking him out of his trance. He looked up, and there was the girl. Her face showed concern, and she knelt down beside him. He had to strain his neck to see all of her, but she leaned over him and he looked into her face.
"Are you alright?" she asked. Her voice was soft and melodic, and the boy was reminded of angels that he had learned about from his last home. He stared at her, not saying anything for a few moments. His face held no emotion, though inside he was confused.
'Why would she care for me? I am no one. I am alone.' When he didn't respond, the girl got up and walked around so that she was in front of his face. He stared at her in wonder as she sat before him.
"My name is Serena. What's yours?"
The boy moved his lips a few times before he managed to croak out "Duo".
The girl smiled gently at him, seeming to sense he was hurting. "Would you like to play with me? It would make you feel better. We could go do something fun."
The boy, Duo, sat up slowly, muscles complaining that the ground had been too hard. He looked at her.
"Why do you want to do something with me?" he asked.
"Because you look sad," she answered, looking into his eyes. "Because you look like you need a friend, and I would love to be your friend. Because when you feel sad, I feel sad too." Duo just stared at her, and Serena broke out into a smile. She jumped up. "Come on," she said, grabbing his hand. "I can show you around. We can find something fun to do." He got up and Serena led him out of the alley.

~*~*~End Flashback~*~*~

That had been the first time he had met her. They had become friends quickly, and he vowed to himself to always protect her. However, after he had found the doctor, he couldn't always be there with her. He didn't tell Serena what he had to do, but only that he had to leave for awhile. The promised to meet each other again every two months on the full moon. The first time he hadn't made it had been almost a year after. He was 14 then, and she was nearly 13. She had waited the whole night in the alley they had first met, and when he didn't come, she was scared and hurt. Scared that something might happen to him, hurt that he had abandoned her. The next meeting, he had come, explaining that he wasn't able to reach the city on time before. She forgave him, and they continued their meetings.
Until the day came when Duo made a decision. He planned to blow up his Gundam so it, (as well as himself,) wouldn't be used for a massacre. He and everyone in the building would be killed as well. He tried to reach her in time to tell her so she would know, but he couldn't. Mentally telling her not to cry for him and to be happy, he pressed the detonator. Nothing happened.
The doctor had stepped out of the shadows, bolts in hand; he had undone the bombs. He told Duo to steal the gundam and leave. To protect the colonies and earth, and to go as Shinigami, as Duo often called himself. Duo agreed that it was much better to go as Shinigami then to be the hero in a massacre. From that point on, his life had changed.
The next meeting he had told her that he had to leave for a long time. Serena had just turned 14.

~*~*~FLASHBACK~*~*~
""Serena, I will not see you for a long time. There is something I must do, and I don't know when I will be back."
Serena looked down. "I trust you, Duo. I won't ask where you are going or what it is you must do. I know that if you could, you would tell me." Tears ran down her checks, and he gently brushed them away. He knew that she could take care of herself, but still felt guilty. He also knew that he would miss her.
"I'll come back for you," he promised. "I swear it."
"Don't swear," she said with a forced laugh. Duo tilted her chin up with one hand so that she was looking him in the eye. His other hand traced the side of her face in a soft caress.
"I'll come back for you," he repeated. He leaned down and lightly brushed his lips against hers before turning and disappearing into the night.

~*~*~End Flashback~*~*~

Only he hadn't. He had been to late. He had broken his promise. He said he would come back for her, and he had.... but it was too late. If only he had come sooner.... he had just wanted to protect her, and as a Gundam Pilot he feared he would only put her in more danger. But he had only put her in danger by staying away. He thought of what she must have thought when she died- that he had broken his promise? That he no longer cared for her? That he had abandoned her? - and his heart clenched. A choked sob escaped his lips, and he turned and quickly entered his gundam. Once inside, he sat in the pilot's seat, not starting up the machine. Thoughts of her assailed his mind, and he did something he had not done since the Maxwell Church had been destroyed- he cried.
**********************************************************
< br> AN: Ok, I've already started chapter two. But since there are a lot of stories I am working on and I keep switching back and forth, it might not be done for awhile. But if you like DBZ/SM x-overs, you can check out my other stories! PLEASE REVIEW!! I DON'T CARE IF IT'S ONE WORD, JUST PLEASE REVIEW!!! I DON'T EVEN CARE IF YOU SIGN IN OR NOT!!!!! PLEASE?!?!?!?