Gundam Wing Fan Fiction / Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Pure Blood ❯ Part Two ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own The Vision of Escaflowne or Gundam Wing. They are owned by Sunrise and Bandi and their own respective creators.

Pure Blood: Part Two Surprises and Betrayals

By: Elf

Dillandeu walked into Folken's study to see Folken with a teenage boy he'd never seen before. The boy was taller and broader than Dillandeu, with a long, thick braid that trailed down his back. He was dressed in solid black with silver trim. Different from the Dragon Slayer's uniform.

"Who the hell are you?" Dillandeu asked, prompting the boy to spin around.

The boy smiled, dark violet eyes twinkling almost demonically. He crossed his arms on his chest and rested his weight on his back leg, appearing to all the world calm and comfortable. Dillandeu thought that he looked a little proud and cocky. Besides, the boy was mocking him.

Dillandeu walked closer to him and held up his hand to slap some sense into the boy. He moved, but the other boy deftly caught his hand with a wicked smile. "Let go of me, you fool!" Dillandeu snapped, jerking his hand away.

Folken said, "Dillandeu, this is Duo Maxwell. He's from the Mystic Moon."

Duo smirked as he stepped away. He replied, "Nice to meet you, Dilly."

"Dillandeu," he snarled in reply, wanting nothing more to rip his throat out. Duo only smiled as he leaned on one of Folken's high back chairs. Somehow, he managed to sit side ways and kick his legs up over one armrest.

He turned to Folken and sneered, "What is he doing here?" He registered the fact that he was from the Mystic Moon, but his whole attitude was bothering the Master Dragon Slayer.

"He's going to help us capture the Draconian," Folken answered, turning to face his new pupil.

Duo smirked evilly. He added, "Yes, Heero Yuy wouldn't expect that his 'best friend' would try to hurt him in any way." Then he laughed, a truly harsh and bitter laugh. Duo said, "Shinigami has returned from Hell."

******

Heero watched the sky and the ground. He was home. Still, much was puzzling to the former Perfect Soldier. He leaned over the ledge of the ship and squinted, taking in everything.

He had almost forgotten how beautiful Gaea truly was. Certain parts of Earth reminded him of it, but it wasn't the same. He heard someone coming toward him. He turned to see Van approaching him.


"Beautiful, isn't it?" the young king asked, leaning on the rail beside him.

Heero just looked, not knowing how to answer. He waited a few beats before he finally said, "It's been a while."

"So, what did you do on the Mystic Moon?" Van asked carefully, watching his every movement and expression.

Heero answered, "I was a soldier."

"Was?" Van asked carefully.

Heero simply replied, "The cause I fought for had won, so there was nothing left to fight." Then he looked at Van. He asked, "Why are you here?"

A pained look crossed Van's sherry colored eyes. He grit his teeth as he gripped the railing. He hissed, "Zaibach burned my kingdom to the ground."

"What is Zaibach?" Heero asked him. The name sounded vaguely familiar, but had been over 11 years since he had set foot on Gaea's soil. There had been many changes, like Fanalia burning to the ground.

Van sneered, not at Heero, but at the memory, "They want my guymelef, Escaflowne. And my brother betrayed my kingdom . . ." Then he looked at Heero and asked, "Do you know anything about the Ispanos?"

"Master guymelef builders, but the skill and power of the suit comes with a price," Heero replied, thanking his photographic memory.

Then he asked, "What is going on with Zaibach anyway?"

Van looked at him and said, "It's a long story, actually."

"Then tell it," Heero stated, leaning on the rail and facing the young king.

******

The guymelef was jet black, even the stealth cloak. Duo smirked as he climbed into it, sliding his fingers into the gears. He stated, "It's a little claustrophobic."

Folken had to smile at that. Then, caught completely by surprise, the guymelef began to hover. Amazing, I've told him nothing, and he already knows how to make it fly, he thought as he watched the floating guymelef.

Then, suddenly, it started flying around the hanger, making dangerous, almost playful turns. He could hear Duo laughing from inside the suit, gleefully cavorting around. The weapon came out, and Duo formed the liquid metal into a curved blade. Duo chirped, "Now this is more like it."

Folken warned, "Be careful."

"Sure," Duo said, drawing the word out mockingly. Folken stood back and watched as he landed the suit. He popped out of the harnesses and stretched his body.

"How was it?" Folken asked, amazed that he had caught on so quickly.

Duo rubbed the back of his neck and wiped sweat off of his brow. He smiled and replied, "Not bad. Its a rush though."

"You picked up pretty quickly," Folken said carefully.

Duo smirked and replied, "Natural ability."

"Indeed," Folken said doubtfully. Zaibach had intergreated the piloting abilities into Dillandeu. Duo could blow him out of the water and perhaps, take both him and Van in a duel. No one had that much natural talent.

Duo chuckled, as if he could see what Folken was thinking. He said, "Yes, I do."

******

Van had just told Heero everything he needed to know about Zaibach and the trouble that they were causing. Heero simply looked ahead. He had also told him about the vision Hitome had.

Heero finally looked over at him. He said, "So, I was brought here so you could protect me."

"I don't know what Zaibach wants you for, but Hitome clearly saw you with wings in the vision," Van told him. He didn't say, A Draconian, but he was tempted to.

Heero crossed his arms over his chest. He was saying nothing. Van sighed. Everyone on board knew about his half heritage. He jumped on the rail. He shed his red shirt and grit his teeth.

Releasing the wings was sort of a mixture of pleasure and pain. He shouted as he arched his back as the wings protruded from it. He felt that release, that stinging pain before the light, delicate washes of the feathers against his skin. He stood there, his silver white wings exposed, before he jumped off the railing.

Heero's eyes flickered with surprise as Van floated up to him. As always, he had the urge to fly, to fly and never come back. He didn't. He watched the young warrior's expression.

Heero finally spoke. He said, "You're not a pure Draconian."

Van blinked. He landed on the railing, the wings going back into his skin. There was a sort of a loss as he did that, but now wasn't the time to have the wings fully extended. He slid back into his shirt and asked, "How did you know?"

"Most of the Draconians had been hunted, true?" Heero asked in his perfect monotone.

Van nodded, a bit surprised as his knowledge. He answered, "Yeah, they were." He remembered his mother's expressed instructions to never show his wings to anyone.

"Why do they need me?" Heero asked, his face showing nothing.

Van swallowed, envious of his intensity. He answered, "I don't know. All I know is that I must destroy Zaibach." He felt the rush of fury in him. For Dillandeu, for Folken, and for his burned kingdom. He clinched his fingers around the hilt of his sword.

Heero only grunted as he walked away. Van stood there, not knowing to go after him or to stay there. He chose to stay there.

******

Hitome felt a pair of strong arms around her, a cool cloth on her forehead, and gentle hands smoothing her hair out of her face. She opened her eyes and looked directly into a pair of intelligent turquoise eyes.

She looked around to see Allen's seraphic face. He was the one holding her. The beautiful princess Millerna was the one stroking her hair and placing the cool cloth on her head. Relena stood in front of her, watching her.

Allen asked, "Are you alright Hitome?" His brilliant blue eyes were filled with concern. A little while ago, that look would have made her heart melt, but it didn't have as much of an effect on her. He moved his head, causing his golden locks to fall over one eye, obscuring it.

She shook her head and replied, "No, I had a vision. I've got to find Van." She struggled out of his strong grasp and began to run.

"Hitome, you may need to rest," Millerna told her.

Hitome called out, "I'll be fine. I've just gotta see Van." She felt strange, running to tell Van about the vision. She had found out that she had been doing that a lot. And she had been risking her life to save him a lot as well.

And why? He's arrogant, proud, and stubborn. He's headstrong but he's got these eyes and wings . . . Hitome found herself thinking as she ran. She saw Van standing at the railing, looking over the side. She couldn't help to notice the long silvery wing on the deck.

She walked over and bent down. She captured the silky feather in her hand and studied it. It was beautiful and delicate, a direct contradiction to the boy it had came from.

She stood up to see Van looking directly at her. His sherry colored eyes intense. She felt her cheeks warm as she walked over to him. She asked, "Why did you show your wings?"

He looked away and said, "Trying to convince Heero."

"I think he's stubborn," Hitome confessed to him. He smirked at her as he looked at the feather. She blushed even redder as she hid it behind her back.

He asked her, "Why are you here though?"

"I had another vision," she told him, swallowing, remembering the eery details.

Van walked closer. He asked, "What did you see?"

"It was dark," she began, remembering the vision. She went on, "There was a flash of something silver. A cross. Then, a scythe. Suddenly, there was a figure dressed in black robes with a long chestnut brown braid. He looked at me with violet eyes. He looked . . . elfin."

Van blinked. He asked, "What's a cross?"

"It's a religious symbol from my world," she answered truthfully.

Van asked, "Scythes represent death, don't they?"

"Yes," Hitome answered nodding.

Van leaned against the rail. He wondered aloud, "I wonder what it means."

"I don't know, Van, I don't know," she told him, leaning beside him. Almost unconsciously, he rested his hand on hers. She blushed again, looking at his long, gloved fingers. She turned to face him. He looked at her, his black hair falling haphazardly in his face.

She swallowed, her heart pounding. He made her nervous sometimes. Others she wanted to throttle him. She said, "Van, I want you to promise me to be careful."

Van blinked and looked down. He looked back up at her with a dark look in his eyes. He said, "I can't promise you that, Hitome. If I can save others, then I'm meaningless." With that, he left her alone, worrying for the young king.

******

Folken looked at his new pupil and smiled. Duo looked up back at him and smiled back. It wasn't the manic look that he had earlier. This was an actual smile. The look reminded him vaguely about Van. He quickly pushed the thoughts aside as he looked at the new group of Dragon Slayers and Dillandeu.

He said, "This is your target." On the screen came the image of Heero Yuy. Duo had told him his name with a sneer. The wizards must have really warped his mind for him to hate his friend that much. Folken knew he was going to bring Zaibach down, and Heero Yuy and Duo Maxwell would be the means of doing so. He wanted to keep Van as far away as possible.

Dillandeu stated, "He's not so tough." Then he snorted, a manic gleam in his garnet eyes. He calmly stated, "He'll be no challenge to me. Why you brought the little girl is beyond me."

Duo's violet eyes narrowed at Dillandeu. He asked, "Who are you calling a little girl?"

"With that hair of yours, you would make a very lovely young woman," Dillandeu replied with a smirk.

Duo's eyes darkened. He sneered, "At least I'm not whipped." Then he turned back at Folken. He asked, "Yeah, that's Yuy, now what?"

Folken looked among the ranks of Dillandeu's men and Duo. Duo worked independently of the other Dragon Slayers, taking only orders from Folken. Duo crossed his arms and tapped his foot on the ground.

Folken said, "Bring him alive and unharmed. We need him in perfect condition. Also, bring the Escaflowne back as well without damaging it."

"Why don't you want it damaged Folken?" Dillandeu asked in a taunting voice.

Only Dornkirk knew that Van was his younger brother. Was Dillandeu just being himself and annoying? Still, Dorkirk wanted the Dragon, and Folken fully well was going to bring him to him. Then, the Dragon would attack.

"Why the fuck do you care?" Duo asked him.

Dillandeu sent him a scathing smile as he replied, "Because, the last time my Dragon Slayers went up against Escaflowne they were all killed. He's a demon."

Duo laughed, an eerily chilling sound. He walked calmly to Dillandeu and leaned into his face. To Folken's surprise, Dillandeu did not back away. Duo stated, "Well, I'm something much worse." Then he laughed and backed off.

Folken said, "Well, move out." Then he looked at Duo. He said, "Stay, Duo."

"Sure, what do you need?" Duo chirped as he walked over to the fallen prince.

Folken said, "Be careful and do not hurt the Escaflowne."


"What is the Escaflowne?" Duo asked, crossing his arms over his chest.

Folken answered, "It's a powerful guymelef, but you can't hurt it."

"Got it," Duo replied as he ran toward the hanger. Folken sighed and leaned against the wall. He watched as the braid disappeared from sight.

He said, "Van, be careful as well."

******

Heero heard Relena walk behind him. He turned around to face her and couldn't help to notice the accusing and questions in her eyes. Her long, dark blond hair blew around her face as she looked at him and she used a hand to sweep it away from her face.

She asked, "What were they talking about?"

"This world is called Gaea," Heero told her, leaning on the rail. He sighed and said, "I'm not from Earth. It can be seen at night as another moon. You and Hitome are sort of exotic here."

Relena looked shocked and asked, "So, you weren't born on Earth?"

"No and I'm not human either," he told her in a cold, detached voice, waiting for an answer.

She gasped, her eyes widening. She was about to say something when something shook the ship. She cried out and he automatically dove for her, protecting her body with his. He looked up, seeing a group of hovering guymelefs. "Damn," he cursed as he stood up, bringing Relena with him.

"Get below deck," he ordered sharply.

She looked around at the group of guymelefs. She asked, "What are those?"

"Dangerous, get below, Relena, now," he snapped, shoving her for good measure. The crew of the Crusade were in instant motion, ready to defend themselves from the attack. Heero had to join them, fight with them.

She wasn't moving. He cursed rapidly in Japanese, causing Relena's eyes to widen. She didn't know what he was saying, but she could probably get the meaning from his tone. He grabbed her wrist and began to run. He ran hard, practically dragging Relena with him. She screamed as a jet of fire erupted from one of the guymelefs.

He got her inside and thrust her into a blond woman's arms. Her wide purple eyes widened in question as Heero ran. He shouted, "Look after her!"

"Heero!" Relena cried. He ignored her and ran to the hanger. He ran past most of Allen's men and looked up at the guymelefs that were there. He saw Van already strapping into a majestic white guymelef with a crimson cape that foamed about its shoulders.

After piloting a Gundam or any mobile suit for that matter, all of the guymelefs seemed primitive and unpractical. Still, he had to help defend, for Relena's sake. She should have never been brought here, but she was caught in this crossfire now as well.

He noticed Allen Schezar starting to climb up another impressive guymelef, this one grey with a blue cape. He used his genetically enhanced strength and speed to climb up the catwalk and up the guymelef. "What are you doing?" Allen shouted.

"Borrowing this," Heero responded, pushing him off the catwalk. Allen landed ungracefully, in a tumble of obscenely long blond hair and limbs. Heero climbed into the guymelef and immediately placed his feet and hands in the right places. He gripped the controls and felt the machine move along with him.

"I'll return it," Heero told the angry knight.

"Damn you!" Allen shouted.

Van was already out of the hanger. Heero began to walk the guymelef, quickly getting a hold of its controls. Its not as graceful or quick as a Gundam, but I think I can handle this, he thought as he walked on the deck. He took the sword out and spun it, getting a feel for it.

This wasn't an ordinary guymelef. It was built for dueling. Heero sighed. It reminded him eerily of Zechs, except that Zechs would have pulverized Allen within moments.

"Oh, Allen!" a strange, frightening, singsong voice called out as a brilliant red guymelef uncloaked.

It fired a jet of flame from its arm and Heero managed to dodge from it, sending his guymelef rolling.

"Dammit," he cursed as he stood up again. He held the sword and charged. He swung the sword gracefully, but a stream of liquid metal intertwined itself and formed a blade, blocking his attack. Heero kicked at the other melef and sent a punch to its head.

"Oh, Allen, that won't be good enough to defeat me!" the boy cackled.

Van's voice boomed over the chaos, "Dillandeu, fight me! You coward!"

"Vannnnnn! BURN!" Dillandeu cheerfully screamed as he used his flame thrower on Van's white guymelef.

Suddenly, a black guymelef, the same design as Dillandeu's, held a shield, sending the flame away from it. "You fucking idiot, remember what Folken said?" a familiar voice asked.


Heero blinked, stunned. Duo, Duo's here? He thought as he looked at the black guymelef. He asked, "Duo, is that you?"

"Oh, hello Yuy," Duo's voice replied, cold and calculating.

Heero blinked. First, Duo addressed everyone by their first name except for Noin. Second, it was his tone. The world could be ending, the gates of Hell could be opening up, and Duo would still sound cheery, just for others' benefit.

"No," Heero whispered.

"Who are you?" Van demanded.

Heero gripped the controls furiously. He charged at Dillandeu again. Except he was intercepted by the black guymelef. "Howdie Yuy, ready to meet the God of Death?" Duo asked with an evil cheer.

"What did they do to you?" Heero demanded as a scythe-like weapon appeared from the guymelef's hand. It swung at him, aiming for the bright pink energist. When the energist was gone, the suit would not have any power.

"Nothing buddy, just opened my eyes and showed me what a cruel son of a bitch you are," Duo replied as he swung again. He went on, "You probably always knew that we would go head to head like this. The question is, which one of us is better?"

Heero rolled out of the way of another attack. He found himself holding back. He realized he couldn't hurt Duo, no matter what they had done to him in there. He brought his sword up to catch the scythe.

Heero said, "Whatever they told you was a lie. Snap out of it."

"No, I'm having too much FUN!" Duo shouted as he hovered, sending his blade flashing at Heero. Heero dodged out of the way again, scraping blades. He grunted as he sent a kick to the hovering machine. Duo laughed as he avoided it.

"Come on, Yuy, admit it," Duo taunted.

Heero replied, "Admit what?"

"That I'm better," Duo chirped maniacally.

Heero smiled. He could damage the suit without hurting Duo. Besides, some prideful part of him craved blood. Duo was getting too cocky. He planed to bring him back down to Earth.

"Never," the Perfect Soldier replied.

The God of Death laughed and said, "Well, Yuy, I'm gonna prove you wrong!" With a fierce battle cry, he charged at Heero. Heero balanced himself and pushed back the scythe. They were locked in a deadly battle, pilot to pilot, partner to partner, friend to friend, brother to brother.

"Give up," Duo sneered.

Heero replied, "Never. You first."

"Not so fast, buddy," Duo chuckled.

"BURNBURNBURN!" Dillandeu's voice cheered as flames came from his flame thrower to Van's guymelef.

"Dammit," Duo cursed, jerking back. "Fuck that little prick. He's gonna get us all in trouble," Duo grumbled as he rushed to guymelef.

Heero ran after him, the weight weighing down at his legs. He charged after the red guymelef, his sword ready. Until the red guymelef shot liquid metal at him. He felt it pierce the energist.

It was powerless. Heero gave a wordless cry as it fell to the ground, bringing him with it. The impact was harder than most he faced in his Gundam, but the guymelef wasn't as tough as the Gundam. He tried to get up, but the controls were useless, weighing him down.

He climbed out of the harnesses only to be faced with a flame thrower identical to the red suit's, except this one was black. "Duo, do it," Heero hissed.

Duo called out, "If you want Mr. Perfect Soldier to retreat, give up the girl from the Mystic Moon, Van and Escaflowne!"

To Be Continued!

Author's Notes: Yes, I have done the unthinkable. I have made Duo evil and I am enjoying every moment of it. Duo's actualy my favorite character, but I'm having so much fun writing him evil. Well, I hope that you're enjoying the story. Sorry if my Esca seems a little lacking, I've only seen to eppisode 14! Thanks to Cyberwolf for reading this story and liking it, as well as my ring.