Gundam Wing Fan Fiction / Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction ❯ Night's Redemption ❯ Chapter 9 ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own either Gundam Wing

"blah" speaking

/blah/ thoughts

`blah' telepathy

 

-

 

Pierre paced in the meeting room of his quarters. /The chancellor is hiding something, something to do with this abomination that Sean is hunting./ His sneered. /If I had been given possession of Bright Song none of this would have come about and we wouldn't be in danger!/ His steps took him over to the bell pull. Yanking viciously on it, he waited impatiently for his servant to arrive.

 

"Yes, Master?"

 

Pierre whirled around. "Get me one of my slaves. I don't care which one! Now!" The servant bowed, backing out of the room. He returned a few minutes later leading a blond human female, chained by the throat, into the room. She was wearing clothes that might have been expensive once but were now nothing more than rags that barely concealed her. Her hands were bound in front of her with a chain running from them to the collar around her neck. Pierre smiled. "Excellent. Leave her over there." He gestured towards one of the walls, numerous iron rings studded into the stone walls. The servant once more bowed and backed out. Pierre grinned as he advanced on the human, her fear rolling off of her in waves, charging the air around her with its intensity.

 

-

 

Despite all of Duets very vocal requests to be put down, Thor carried her the entire trip, not putting her down until they reached the car that Wufei and Sally were using. Shiva grabbed her arms as Thor got into the car, still holding onto her legs. Wufei and Sally got into the front as Shiva slid in next to Duet, blocking her in.

 

Duet folded her arms, pouting. "You didn't have to do that, Thor. I would've gone with them."

 

Thor ignored her. "How long will it take to get to this hotel of yours?"

 

Sally turned around in her seat, facing the three of them. "About an hour." She looked at both Thor and Shiva, her headset still on and broadcasting her conversation to the others. "If you ame-neko could change forms, why didn't you contact the Preventers and let them know where Duet was?"

 

"Because we can only hold these forms for a couple of hours, three if we really push it." Shiva ran a hand through his hair, sighing. "If we were bonded then we could hold them for about a day. But then, if we were bonded we wouldn't be in the human realm." He glanced over at Duet. "Bright Star, will you promise to accompany these humans to their hotel and obey them?"

 

Duet was still glaring at the floor of the car. "Sure, whatever."

 

Thor nudged Duet in the ribs. "That was not what he asked, Bright Star."

 

"Alright already! I promise to go with these people into the hotel." Thor and Shiva glared at her. "And to obey them," she grudgingly finished. The ame-neko nodded in satisfaction and transformed back, this change not nearly as blinding as their earlier action. They curled up next to her, purring slightly.

 

"What did he mean by being bonded and the human realm?" Wufei had half of his attention on the road before him, the other half focused on the conversation.

 

Duet sighed. "Don't you think that Twenty questions can wait until we're in the hotel? So I don't have to repeat myself?"

 

Sally took off her headset and handed it to Duet. "Here, wear this. This way you can hear the others questions directly." She smiled at the dumbfounded look on Duets face. "Don't worry; I'm sure I'll be able to figure out what they're asking from your responses."

 

"Um, thanks." Duet put on the headset. "I assume this thing is already on."

 

"Read ya loud and clear," Duo chimed in over the muted roar of his motorcycle. "Think you could explain that bit about being bonded now?"

 

"Sure." Duet paused, collecting her thoughts. "Um, let's see. Do you know about the Silven?"

 

"Silven? Who or what is that?" Quatre piped up.

 

"That's one of the three races. You know, humans, Silven, and Night Walkers." Silence greeted her explanation. "You guys did know that there were other races out there, right?"

 

"Ah, no, they kinda skipped that part of our education. What do you mean there are three races?" Duo shouted.

 

"We can hear you perfectly fine, Maxwell. There is no need to shout." Wufei winced as Duo's voice echoed through his head. Sally looked at his expression, glad she had handed her set to Duet.

 

"Look, this is how the ame-neko explained it to me. You don't like it then ask them for a different one. May I continue?" Duet stared out the front of the car, one hand absently running through Shiva's fur.

 

"Please do." Quatre spoke. "I'm sure that Duo will keep his exuberance to a manageable level."

 

Heero chuckled. "Don't bet on it."

 

"Hey! I can hear you guys, ya know!"

 

"Imagine that," Heero dryly stated. "Duet, you were about to explain about the three races?"

 

Duet started as they used her given name. "Anyways, the Silven, which are also called elves, are the ones that bond to the ame-neko." Duet started to frown, trying to remember exactly how it had been explained to her. "There is one ame-neko for every Silven, half-Silven and quarter Silven. Um, the ame-neko that you bond to is born at the same time as you and will live for as long as you do, no matter if you find eachother or not. And once you bond it's like you found a piece of your soul that you didn't even realize you were missing." Duet nervously tugged on an earlobe. "I think that's it." Everyone was quiet as they digested this bit of information.

 

"I take it, then, that the ones who can bond are the ones granted names by the ame-neko?" Quatre asked in a hushed voice.

 

"Yeah, that's right. But there's one thing that they refuse to explain to me. See, if there is one ame-neko for everyone capable of bonding, then why are there more unbonded ame-neko then there are unbonded Silven? The only thing I get whenever I ask that question is `It's not time for you to know that'. It's so aggravating." Duet slouched down, worming her way into the seat.

 

"Hn. What about the realms?" Heero asked.

 

"Well, every race has it's own realm, a place where they gather and govern themselves. We are obviously in the human realm, but it is possible to travel between the three. I don't think that humans can travel unaided, though."

 

`You are correct, Bright Star.' Thor stretched out his neck, running the bottom of his chin against Duet's jeans. `Only those of Night Walker or Silven descent may cross the realms.'

 

"Ah. That makes sense." Sally looked at Duet, one eyebrow raised. "Oh, sorry; I'm just so used to being the only one around whenever the ame-neko, or any animal for that matter, that I forget that everyone else can't hear them. Thor just told me that humans can't travel between the realms, only those of Night Walker or Silven descent. What's your next question?" Duet started to fiddle with the hem of her shirt.

 

"Why were they so interested in me?" Duo's curiosity had finally gotten the better of him. "And why did seeing me get you so terrified?"

 

Duet took a deep breath before launching into that explanation.

 

-

 

Kieva paced in the alley, cursing the limitations of his current form; he could smell multiple humans, the freshest ones were only half an hour old. Mixed in were the scent trails of seven ame-neko, but only five had left the alley. And there was one more, a scent he couldn't place. He growled in frustration. Tzume walked over, experiencing the same frustration, the two humans momentarily left alone.

 

`The scent of the ame-neko is strongest over there.' Tzume pointed to a spot on the ground, the same place where Duet had fallen.

 

`I know.' Kieva paced around again, glaring at the two humans. `Your nose is slightly better than mine, can you place that scent?'

 

`The one that is like the master's and yet not? Or the one that is half the master's scent?' Tzume quietly stepped to the entrance of the alley.

 

Kieva's ears twitched. `The one that smells like the master, is it male or female?'

 

`Male. And the one that smells like half of the master is female.' Both Tzume and Kieva froze when they overheard a group of young humans talking.

 

"Wonder what that girl did, being carried off by the Preventers like that."

 

"No clue, Matt. But it didn't seem like they were arresting her or anything. Maybe they had a few questions? Although you'd think that her brother would be the one to carry her, not that blond."

 

"Yeah," the one called Matt sighed. "But he was such a nice looking blond."

 

"Don't you ever think of anything else?"

 

"Can't help it, Chris. Besides, can you honestly say those guys weren't nice to look at?"

 

The one called Chris now sighed. "Yeah, they were all gorgeous. Now, what were we going to do for dinner?" Their voices trailed off as they moved past the alley.

 

Kieva looked over towards the two humans they had captured, his lips pulling back as he bared his teeth. "What can you tell me about these Preventers? Bearing in mind what I'll do to you if I smell you lying to me?" Toni looked over to Nate, swallowing nervously. He knew that Nate had recognized the people who were looking for Duet and he was sure that his friend would figure out that it was Duet who had been carried out of here.