Gundam Wing Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Broken Reflection ❯ Like A Deer In The Headlights ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Aya: Okay, another chappy!!
Duo: *dryly* Whoo-pee.
Kurama: *pouts cutely* I don't get in until the very last three paragraphs of the chapter.
Aya+Hiei: *melt*
Kurama+Duo: -.-;;;
Quatre: Disclaimer: Aya does not own Yu Yu Hakusho, Gundam Wing, Jansport, or any other merchandise and etc. in this fic. ^^ Thank you, now have a nice day.
Aya: They're all OOC too. Kinda freaky.
 
 
Like A Deer In The Headlights:
 
Duo, somewhat irritated, walked into the school building, heading towards the library. Stupid fox. he thought to himself. He sat down at a table in the library, and set up his black Jansport backpack to hang on his chair. "Maybe I should have stayed home..." he muttered.
 
"Good morning, Duo!" Quatre called, walking up to him. Duo plastered on a grin for his friend. "Yo, kitten!" he greeted. Quatre looked around. "Where's Kurama?" Quatre asked. "He's sick." Duo said, sighing. "Sick?! With what?! The flu, cold, anemia?!!" Hiei demanded, rushing up next to Quatre. Yusuke laughed. "Woah, Hiei, calm down. Take deep breaths." he advised, amused.
 
"Not sure." Duo answered. "Oh. Can you give me the address to his house, maybe I can stop by later or something?" Quatre asked. Duo shook his head. "Sorry, no can do." Duo said. "And why is that?" Hiei asked, seething. Duo glared back at him. "Because I can't. Just leave him alone, he'll be fine." Duo responded, waving them off. "And how would you know that? Why can't we just see him?" Hiei asked, challenging.
 
Duo's glare grew in ferocity. He didn't even reply. Yusuke and Quatre were silent, aware of the heavy atmosphere. "Well, Maxwell? Are you going to answer?" Hiei challenged again, dead serious. Duo's glare sharpened. "Mind your own business, JAGANSHI, or you just might regret it." Duo replied sharply, taking up his backpack and leaving. "I'm not so sure that was a good idea, Hiei." Yusuke commented. Quatre stared after Duo. Sick...
 
During homeroom, Quatre sat down cautiously next to Duo. He was staring out the window, and didn't even glance up when Quatre sat down. "Duo...?" Quatre asked unsurely. Duo sighed. "Sorry for acting up back there. Its just the stress is getting to me lately." Duo apologized. Quatre nodded. "Its okay, I understand. But maybe you should say that to Hiei. He WAS just worried about Kurama, you know." Quatre said. Duo was quiet.
 
"He's really taken a liking to him." Quatre said aloud. "Who?" Duo asked, still staring out the window. "Hiei. I think he's really into Kurama." Quatre said, glancing at his friend from the corner of his eye. Duo grunted. "Oh, please. He doesn't even know him that well." Duo said.
 
"Well, yes, but still..." Quatre attempted. Duo sighed. "Can we please not talk about this now?" Duo asked. Quatre nodded. "Thank you." Duo said. A few minutes passed in silence. "Duo...do you want to talk?" Quatre asked. Duo glanced at him. "Not really, kitten." Duo said. Quatre's stare lingered on him, before he smiled. "Okay. But if you want to talk, I'm always open." Quatre said. Duo smiled. "Thanks."
 
"Is it just me, or does Duo seem a bit high-strung?" Keiko pondered. Yusuke shrugged. "He has been acting kind of strangely." he offered. "Maybe he's just worried about Kurama." Botan added. Hiei grunted, hoping to end the conversation. However, it continued nonetheless.
 
"Now that you mention it, he hasn't called me by one of those ridiculous nicknames of his." Wufei said. "Or attempted to sexually harass me." Heero mumbled. Everyone stared at him oddly, but stopped when he glared back. "Quatre tried to get him to talk, but he was just pushed aside." Trowa supplied.
 
*On the other side of the cafeteria*
 
"Kitty, you CAN sit by your boyfriend. I don't need a babysitter." Duo said, poking his can of worms (aka spaghetti) with his fork distastefully. Quatre frowned. "It's fine. Besides, I can't leave you alone so you can torment someone else." Quatre said good-naturedly. "What am I, a plague?" Duo asked skeptically, raising an eyebrow. "Somewhat." Quatre mumbled. Duo laughed.
 
Duo thunked his head on the table. Repeatedly. "Duo, you can't waste any more brain cells!" Quatre scolded. Duo grinned, before just resting his head on the table. "You know, I think I'm going to name your behavior Kurama Withdrawal Syndrome. KWS for short." Quatre said playfully. "Ah, so I am a plague." Duo mumbled.
 
"So there's only two of you now? Where'd the other transsexual go?" someone laughed from behind them. They turned to see Alex and Mueller. "I'm surprised you even knew what that word means." Duo snapped back irritably. Alex's glare intensified, but Duo remained unfazed.
 
"What's got you in such a crappy mood, Maxwell? Yuy finally realized that you're just something good to fuck and nothing else?" Mueller replied snidely. "No, he realized I'm a better fuck than Relena." Duo grumbled. "Duo!" Quatre snapped.
 
"What was that?!!" Alex yelped. Duo rolled his eyes. "Look, I'm not in the mood to play with you third-rates right now. So why don't you go back to where ever you came from and rot there." Duo said. He stared back into outer space. "The only reason you beat us last time was 'cause we LET you! But we're not going easy on you no more!!" Alex said .
 
"How about if you don't get out of my line of vision then I won't go easy on YOU." an icy voice said behind them. They turned to see Heero, glaring daggers at the two. They cringed. "Uh..." Alex said, at a loss of words. Mueller took off, with Alex right behind him. "Idiots." Catherine scoffed. "Are you alright?" Trowa asked, standing in front of Quatre. "Yes, I'm fine. They didn't touch us." Quatre said, smiling.
 
"Ew, disturbing mental picture." Duo commented disgustedly. Quatre paled, before swatting him in the head. "You didn't have to say that out loud!" he snapped. Duo grinned, covering his head playfully. "THIS is why I'd rather have you guys sit by us." Trowa sighed, plopping down next to Quatre. "Why, so you can grope kitten when convenient?" Duo asked. Trowa smirked. "That too." Trowa added. Quatre blushed. "ACK! Okay, enough now!!" Quatre yelped, blushing beet red. "You're adorable when you blush." Trowa purred into his ear.
 
"Get a room, will you?" Yusuke said dryly. "That's too much work." Duo said, grinning ear to ear. "T-Trowaa!! You're encouraging them!!" Quatre said, blushing. Trowa was still smirking. "Then let's give them something else to talk about." Trowa said, licking his ear lobe. "AAAAGGHH!! MY VIRGIN EYES!!" Yusuke shrieked in mock-horror. "Virgin? Doubt it." Hiei commented to the side.
 
The school day passed by uneventfully. They met up outside. "Are you sure you don't want a ride?" Quatre worriedly asked. Duo grinned and nodded. "Don't worry, kitten! I got a strong immune system!" he said. Quatre was still worried, but nodded. "Just drink lots of water and eat healthy." Heero advised.
 
Everyone looked at him oddly, and he just glared at the ground. "Ookay. I think I better go before Hee-chan decides to play nurse." Duo said, joking. He paused thoughtfully. "Oo. Kinky!" he added. Heero blushed as everyone else snickered. "Well, see ya guys tomorrow! And Kurama will be there next time, I promise!" Duo said, winking.
 
He took a few steps backwards into the street without looking. That was the mistake. A honking was the only warning, and his head snapped to the side. Blaring headlights blinded his vision. He couldn't move. Those lights...those lights!! his mind screamed. His body froze, and his friends stared in horror at him.
 
"DUO!! GET OUT OF THE WAY!!!" Quatre screamed, tears in his eyes. The car was almost at him. A blur knocked Duo out of the way, and the blur fell right next to him. The car raced past, and sharply turned a corner. The dust eventually settled, and students and faculty had gathered. "Duo?!!" Quatre yelled.
 
When the dust was cleared, they made out two heaving figures at the side. There sat Duo, in Heero's arms, clutching him. Duo was breathing a lot harder than Heero. They were a little scratched up, but nothing too bad. Their friends rushed over to them. "Are you alright?!!" Quatre asked. Heero nodded, glancing down at Duo. The boy was still clutching him for dear life.
 
Duo's eyes were distant, and he was still gasping for air. He was trembling badly, and his knuckles were white. "Duo...?" Quatre asked, lightly touching him on the arm. Duo jumped and looked at him with a look Quatre had never seen on him before. A look of fear. "Duo? Duo, it's okay now! Heero saved you, you're okay!" Quatre said, grasping Duo's shoulders. Duo seemed to snap out of whatever he was in and looked at Quatre.
 
He mouthed something that Quatre couldn't get. "What?" Quatre asked. "I...need to go home now." Duo said, before getting up quickly and running off. they stared after him in confusion. "Hey, what happened?! Is everyone alright?!" a monitor asked. "Yeah, everyone's fine! Just some crazy driver!!" Catherine yelled back. Heero stood up shakily. Hiei was still staring after Duo, with a thoughtful expression.
 
"What is it, 'nii-san?" Yukina asked. Hiei didn't even glance back. "Something tells me...Kurama isn't really sick." Hiei said. It was silent for a moment. "You assume Duo's saying that Kurama is sick physically." Quatre said. They turned to him surprised. He was looking in the same direction Hiei was. "Kurama IS sick. As is Duo. We're just not sure with what." Quatre said, before flashing them a smile. "Just be patient." he advised, then quickly kissed Trowa on the cheek, and walked over to Rashid.
 
*~~~~~~~~~~*
 
Duo slammed the door closed behind him. He slumped against it, still breathing heavily. "Dammit..." he gasped out. He put his head in his hands. "Those...lights..." he murmured. Quiet footsteps, silent to those not trained, neared him. He looked up to meet dull emerald eyes.
 
"Welcome home." Kurama replied blandly. Duo started breathing normally. “You look horrible." he commented. Duo smirked. "You shouldn't even be talking." Duo said. Kurama kneeled down. "Yes, but I have a reason to be pale. So why are you paler?" Kurama asked. Duo glared at him, before sighing.
 
"I got clumsy. Nearly got run over. Heero saved me, though, but I was still kind of..." Duo trailed off. "Scared." Kurama finished. Duo nodded. "It seems I can't leave you alone for a second." Kurama said, standing upright. Duo smirked. "Same goes for you." duo said, indicating to Kurama's wrists.
 
They were bandaged up, of course, but underneath the expert bandaging was a simple slit. A slit deep enough to draw blood, but not deep enough to die. Not deep enough to commit suicide.
 
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
Aya: Yeah, those two need therapy.
Quatre: that was kind of obvious.
Aya: Heh heh heh.
Duo: Well, since Aya is STILL typing up an extra side fic, this just has a preview of a future chappy.
Aya: *clapping* Ain't it great?
 
 
PREVIEW:
 
Quatre stared in shock at his two friends. They didn't look at him; they looked at the wall or floor. “So that's why…” he choked out. Kurama nodded. “Allah…” he got out of his dry throat. New tears threatened to leak out from his already red eyes.
 
“I'm…so sorry…” Quatre said, choking back a sob. Duo shook his head. “Don't be. It wasn't your fault. It was no one's fault but the ones involved.” Duo said. “Why….did you tell me…?” Quatre asked, trying his very hardest not to cry.
 
They were silent for a moment. “Do you remember when we first met? Do you know why we chose to sit by you?” Kurama asked. Quatre shook his head. “Because of your eyes, Quatre.” Kurama said.
 
“They held…so much inner pain. Like ours. And even though we can't trust anyone completely, maybe…” Kurama trailed off. “Maybe we could trust you. Someone who went through their own personal hell, and came out close to sane.” Duo finished. “The truth is…we just wanted something stable to hang on to. Something stable enough to hold on to when we fall. And that was you.”