Gundam Wing Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Broken Reflection ❯ Reflections of the Past ( Chapter 21 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Reflections Of The Past:
 
 
Reflections of the Past:
 
The group of friends trudged into Heero's mansion, covered in dirt, scratches, dried blood, and bruises. "I-am-going-to-kill-those-two." Cathy growled out. They managed to find their way back home, but not after running into AT LEAST ten gangs wanting 'a piece of ass' off all the girls and half the guys. "We'll see them in school." Hiei stated, and everyone's eyes flashed dangerously. One rule in Wing High: NEVER piss them off, or you will a) get kicked out of school, b) get the crap beaten out of you, or c) be totally avoided. However, there was a similar rule on L-2...
 
 
*~~~~~~~~~~~*
 
 
Quatre walked silently along with his friends to school. They haven't gone to school in a week, and he had to keep calling Rashid every day so he knew he was alright. He never gave away his location, however. He knew Trowa and the others had been trying to find him, but Kurama and Duo got rid of any gossip or tracking devices that could point to where they were. I wonder how Duo and Kurama got rid of the gossip.....on second thought, maybe I don't want to know. He thought grimly. Sometimes, his friends took things a little too far. But now he knew why.
 
The trio entered the school building secretly, not running into anyone. "Kitten, Duo and I are going to go to the library for a second. Could you wait for us in the classroom until school starts?" Kurama asked politely. Quatre merely nodded. "Thank you. Try not to talk to anyone, though. Come on, Duo." Kurama said, leading his braided friend away. Quatre pondered whether they could really be 'friends'. Maybe more like allies. He quickly turned and left to the classroom.
 
 
*~~*
 
 
Heero typed away madly on the laptop in the library. His friends were around him, Hiei and Trowa leaning over him to look at the screen. "Why don't they have anything on them?!!" Heero growled in obvious frustration. "Duo probably hacked the files and deleted them." Cathy said dryly. "Wouldn't put it past him." Yusuke muttered.
 
They were looking for anything they could find on the three boys' pasts. Quatre's past was easily found, seeing as the Winner Incident was quite popular back then. Trowa got over the shock of Quatre lying to him; he couldn't blame him, he was probably scared Trowa might hate him.
 
But as for Duo and Kurama...nothing had been found. Hiei now had a permanent scowl on his face. "We've exhausted all of our sources." Trowa deadpanned. "Do they even really exist? Maybe we're all in a dream, and we'll wake up and realize that Kurama and Duo are creations of our twisted, sadistic minds." Cathy mumbled. At the mention of existence, Heero's mind was clicking together pieces.
 
"Maybe they don't. At least, not here." Heero suddenly said, earning odd stares from his friends. "Seriously, Heero, cut back on the coffee." Yusuke said. Heero glared at him, but continued typing away after Yusuke hid behind Keiko. "Honestly..." Keiko muttered. Hiei watched as a new window popped up on the screen. The background was black, and the writing was white. In big, bold letters at the top of the page read 'L-2 Records'.
 
Heero scrolled down to a search box. He typed in Duo Maxwell. Nothing popped up. He did the same for Kurama Minamino, but nothing popped up again. "Dammit." he cursed under his breath. "Try Maxwell Church." Hiei suggested. Heero raised an eyebrow. "I doubt Duo was kidding when he started rambling about why all those horrible things happened to them." Hiei pointed out. Heero nodded and did as instructed.
 
Three files came up. Heero clicked on the one at the top first. When it finally loaded, which was a good five minutes later, Yusuke and Kuwabara had already tattooed both of their arms with a purple gel pen. "So?" Yusuke asked, curious. Heero scanned the first paragraph, reading it aloud. "Maxwell Church Orphanage. Accidentally destroyed in a riot, there is only one survivor out of 469 people. 200 children were killed, 172 adults, and 97 seniors. Survivor has yet to be located. Most bodies are mutilated beyond recognition, some even report the work of devil. Street rats and homeless say it's the work of Shinigami." Heero finished. Everyone openly stared.
 
"Only...one...?" Yukina gasped out. Heero stared at the screen dumbfounded. His mind was racing 1000 miles an hour. "So does that mean Duo is trying to find the other survivor?" Kuwabara asked after several minutes of stunned silence. Everyone did an anime fall. "BAKA!!!! HE'S the survivor!!!!" Yusuke snapped. "Oh." Kuwabara squeaked.
 
Heero scrolled down to a picture of burnt rubble, a cracked cross, and blood splotches. He mentally convulsed. How could any civilized person do this? He wondered. Then again, L-2 wasn't known to be civilized...
 
He went back to the search box. "Now Kurama..." Yusuke muttered. "Try Minamino death." Hiei suggested. Heero typed it in. There was one file. He clicked it open and waited for it to load. On the top of the page were bold letters titled 'Family Murder, Family of Four'. He scrolled down to the text. Hiei began to read aloud, seeing as Heero was still in the after-shock of Duo's ordeal.
 
"Minamino family murdered. Shiori Minamino, mother of sons Yoko and Shuuichi, suffered from unknown mental illness. She became drastically ill in the head, and with no proper medication, suffered greatly. Kouta, father of both sons and husband of Shiori, was said to be highly abusive towards sons, especially the youngest, Shuuichi. Police suspect a fight escalated between Kouta and Shuuichi, and in what police suspect self-defense, Shuuichi pulled a dagger and slit Kouta's neck, leaving him to bleed to death. Reasons are unknown as to why Yoko and Shiori were killed in the same manner, but Shuuichi was never found." Hiei finished.
 
"Who's Shuuichi?" Kuwabara asked. "Must be Kurama's real name." Yusuke answered. "I think I'm going to be sick." Cathy murmured. All of a sudden, Heero's computer crashed. "What the hell?!!" Hiei cursed. Heero frowned, and tried to restart it. No response. "It must have been an invisi-virus." Trowa stated calmly. Heero nodded.
 
"What the hell is that?" Yusuke asked. "It's a computer virus that is undetected by regular systems. It created worldwide panic when it was first released in the year 3005. Eventually, the government set up barriers so it couldn't get the world's data, and every person responsible for spreading it was put to death. No one has ever tried it since." Trowa said. "Every hacker's dream is to re-create it. The person who set this one up must be very talented." Keiko said.
 
"Talented? Did you hear that, fox? They said I was talented!" a voice remarked. They turned and, much to their surprise, there stood Kurama and Duo. Duo was sitting in front of a school computer, and had just logged off. Kurama was casually leaning against the desk. "Don't let it get to your head, Duo." Kurama said, smirking. "You're just jealous." Duo said, pouting. Kurama rolled his eyes.
 
"Y-Y-You're back..." Kuwabara stuttered. Kurama rolled his eyes again. "We should go check on kitten, Duo. Besides, if we stay here any longer, the stupidity might rot our brains." Kurama muttered. He paused. "Correction, MY brain. I don't know where yours went." Kurama said, glancing at Duo. Duo glared at him. "Yeah, yeah. Asshole." Duo muttered, stalking in front of the red-head. Kurama smiled pleasantly, following his simmering comrade.
 
"They're as prickly as ever." Botan commented. Trowa briskly stood up and headed out after them. "Wait! Trowa! Where are you going?!" Cathy asked, jumping up, followed by the others. "They said Quatre was here. I have to go apologize." Trowa stated.
 
*~~~*
 
Mr. Sensui looked uneasily around the classroom. Something was wrong. Quatre was sitting in the corner desk, with Duo and Kurama around him. None of them talked. It was creepy. He started to wonder if they were plotting something. How could they have properly booby-trapped the school without as much as a janitor noticing them? Leave it to his newest-yet-probably-need-the-most-therapy-and-probably-have-a-therapist students to rattle his senses. Or maybe it was the Tylenol. He should probably stop downing them with beer...
 
Mr. Sensui's 'important' thoughts were interrupted, along with half the class's chattering, when the room door slammed open to reveal a rushing Trowa, a perplexed Hiei and Heero, and the rest of their gasping-for-breath friends behind them. "They REALLY need to move the library somewhere closer!!" Yusuke wheezed out, and Hiei and Heero simultaneously rolled their eyes.
 
The class took on an air of tensity when Quatre and Trowa locked eyes. Quatre turned away sharply, deciding that his pencil was more fascinating. Trowa frowned slightly, but stepped closer. Then the air took a turn for the worse when Kurama and Duo fluidly moved in front of Quatre, nearly blocking Quatre and his desk completely from view except for the small blonde's head. Kurama and Duo glared at Trowa fiercely, sitting calmly on desks but obviously ready for a fight.
 
Mr. Sensui, not as dumb as most think (and not as high off Tylenol as most think), pressed the red button under his desk to signal for security or the counselor. He didn't know what the red button called for, maybe he would get lucky and it would call for pizza. Maybe.
 
It was very tense and silent in the room, Trowa not knowing what action to take against the two defensive boys. They're just being protective...and with their background, they have every right to be... his mind reasoned. He came to the conclusion that violence would not work. Besides, HE'LL probably be the one in the stretcher being carried out to the emergency room.
 
The door burst open and Mr. Itsuki ran in, clutching Sensui dramatically. "NOOO!! Are you alright, love-bunny?!!" Itsuki yelled in worry. Everyone in the class did an anime fall, excluding Sensui, who was busy trying to untangle himself from Itsuki's death-grip. Everyone picked themselves up, left eyes twitching.
 
"No wonder Sensui gobbles down those pills." Yusuke muttered, with Botan nodding in agreement. "I think Itsuki took some E before he came to school again." Quatre murmured, with Duo laughing weakly and Kurama's left eye still twitching. Koenma strode into the room, holding out a straight jacket and chains and locks. Everyone stared at him, Itsuki and Sensui had untangled themselves and were also openly staring. Koenma glanced around, glanced at what he was holding, then quickly hid it behind his back. "Uhhh...ha ha?" he asked weakly, before dashing out.
 
"I knew that room was the padded room!!" Duo claimed. Quatre blinked in confusion and Kurama rolled his eyes. "Duo, that was the janitor's closet." Kurama said. "That's what they want us to believe." Duo replied, sitting down in his desk next to Quatre. "Or reality." Kurama muttered, sitting in his own desk.
 
The three chatted on about this and that, completely ignoring everyone around them, much to Trowa's dismay. He was about to interrupt when the bell rang, signaling for first period to start. "Everyone, in your seats!!" Sensui yelled. Trowa cursed every deity and then some for being placed on polar sides of the classroom from his ex-lover-turned-twisted blonde ex-boyfriend. He wished all those 'ex's' went away.
 
*~~~~*
 
When lunch period rolled around, the Trio of Twisted Trouble (which they were so lovably endowed with by the seniors) was nowhere to be found. "They're trying to avoid us." Cathy mumbled. Everyone nodded, looking distastefully at their lunch: pizza. Yusuke poked what was supposed to be a sausage piece, but was sure it was a booger. I mean, do sausages really have hairs in them? Yusuke doubted it.
 
"I guess that means we corner them after school?" Yusuke suggested, shoving his pizza away. "We don't really have an option." Yukina piped in. "But with Kurama and Duo around, I doubt Trowa will get close enough to Quatre." Cathy said. There were a few minutes of thinking silence.
 
"Why don't we separate them, then?" Keiko suggested. "How?" Yusuke asked. "They'd kill us." Kuwabara added. "No, they'd kill most of us." Wufei said, and indicated to Heero and Hiei. "But they won't hurt either of you." he clarified. "How can you be sure?" Yukina asked. Wufei blushed a bit, but continued. "Minamino hesitated to strike Barton at the dance again when Hiei stepped in. Yuy saved Maxwell's life once, so if he had any morals, he should return the favor." he said.
 
They thought about this. "I think the Kurama and Hiei part sounds right, but we have to remember their backgrounds and previous experiences." Trowa said. "We're not sure Duo even HAS any morals. He grew up in a place where there was total anarchy and had to go through hell. He might not have any problem with attacking Heero, regardless whether he saved his life or not." Trowa said.
 
"It won't be a problem. I'll take care of Duo, Hiei takes care of Kurama." Heero said simply. "But how are you going to get them far enough away from Quatre?" Yusuke asked. "Yukina, can you ride home with Keiko? Mother and father are out of state on a business trip, so I'll just take Kurama back to my house. Chained and gagged if I have to." Hiei said. Heero nodded.
 
"Alright! Time for Mission Distraction and Action!!" Yusuke yelled triumphantly. Everyone in the cafeteria hushed and looked at their table peculiarly. Heero and Hiei glared them all back.
 
 
*Elsewhere in the school~~*
 
Both Duo and Kurama sneezed. "Bless you! Are you two coming down with a cold?" Quatre fussed worriedly. Kurama smiled. "No, I doubt it. It must be the dust." Kurama replied. "Yeah, didn't Mrs. Genkai ever hear of a thing called a duster?" Duo added. Quatre chuckled. (A/n: It's that saying where if you sneeze, someone's talking about you.)
 
*~Later that day~*
 
Duo was stumped, to say the least. He was in Algebra class. Kurama and Quatre were in Honors, so he was alone. Before, he didn't really mind. After all, Heero and Yusuke were here with him. Heero got kicked out of Honors for punching some guy's lights out when he tugged on Duo's braid. Of course, that was before the whole 'Quatre-and-Trowa' incident. But there was something Duo was used to...being alone.
 
But that still didn't change the fact that he was still stumped. This class was fairly easy for him, but there were some questions that were hard. Like the one he had now. The weird thing was...no one would help him. He'd ask someone to help him, and they usually did. But not today. They were ignoring him. And if there's one thing you don't do, it's annoy Duo Maxwell...
 
 
Yusuke glanced at Duo from the corner of his eye. "Wow, he looks pretty pissed. Good thinking, Heero." Yusuke commented. Heero snorted. He had told the whole class before Duo got there to ignore the boy completely. And it had worked! Yusuke was right, Duo looked ready to kill....which he just might. Oh boy.
 
The teacher, Ms. Noin, had gone out to go to the office 'real quick'. Of course, that was about 15 minutes ago. Duo decided his revenge would begin now. He carefully ripped up some paper with no noise, took a straw out of his desk, wet the paper ball, stuck it in the straw, and...SPLAT! Heero wiped off the evil ball of slime from his cheek. He looked around for the culprit. His eyes landed on Duo. The boy was smirking evilly, and flicked him off. Heero death-glared at him, but Duo wasn't fazed.
 
Heero watched intently as Duo's violet gaze landed on Emily, a girl a few feet away from Heero and Yusuke. Duo prepared to shoot. "Emily, you dropped your pencil!" Heero suddenly shouted, causing said girl to bend down to the floor rapidly, narrowly missing the spit wad. Duo cursed silently and glared at Heero, who just glared back. Yusuke sweatdropped, glancing back between the two.
 
Duo stood up and calmly walked over to Heero, taking a seat next to the stoic boy, surprising everyone. "Somehow, HEE-CHAN, I have this weird feeling you're behind this." Duo stated. "Behind what?" Heero asked mock-innocently, smirking. Duo sighed. "Okay, so I admit, leaving all of you in the middle of nowhere, completely lost and nearly mugged wasn't the nicest of all things..." Duo started, a creepy smirk making its way on to his face. Yusuke and Heero glared at him. "But it was hella funny." Duo finished.
 
"Yes, it's almost as amusing as being completely ignored." Heero shot back. Duo's smirk vanished and was replaced by a frown. Both boys glared at each other. Yusuke glanced at both, before something occurred to him. "Hey, you two make a good couple." he said. It was silent.
 
"Where the hell did that come from?!" Duo snapped. Yusuke shrugged. "You do." he murmured. Heero rolled his eyes. "Duo..." Heero started, and Duo looked at him venomously. Oh, this was not going to be fun. "I would like to talk to you after school. Behind the cafeteria--alone." Heero said. Duo thought this over.
 
"See you then, Hee-chan."
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Kurama, rather liking being ignored, idly drew on his paper. It looked something around a bleeding rose. He stopped, and glanced around the room, feeling eyes on him. Emerald orbs locked with ruby ones. A slender eyebrow was raised. Ruby eyes looked away. Kurama smirked. How cute... he thought to himself.
 
He drew his attention back to his drawing. He was glad he was in Art; it was fun. Mrs. Genkai, the Art teacher, was checking over everyone's shoulder to see what they were drawing in their sketches. She smiled as she saw Kurama's. "It's a beautiful rose, Kurama, but why is it bleeding?" she asked quietly. "Because it's dying." Kurama replied.
 
Mrs. Genkai didn't understand, but she probably never would. She went around again, and stopped at Hiei's sketch. "That's BEAUTIFUL, Hiei!!" she exclaimed. Hiei nearly jumped 10 feet; he hadn't even noticed her! She took the sketch pad off his desk gently and showed the class. On it was a picture of Kurama, smiling. Half the class awed it, the other half erupted in murmurs. Kurama stared at it in surprise.
 
Hiei nearly blushed the crimson of his eyes, avoiding eye contact with Kurama. Kurama tilted his head a little, but a smirk had made its way on to his face.
 
Kurama flipped the page of his sketchbook, starting a new one. And yes, his twisted, sadistic mind was at work...not a good thing for Hiei. He began to sketch, every now and then catching and holding Hiei's eyes. It continued like this for the duration of the period.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
In the next class, which all of them shared, they were glad to know it was study hall. Duo, Kurama, and Quatre took a corner table in the library. Hiei, Heero, Trowa, Yusuke, Kuwabara, Wufei, Yukina, and Keiko took a large table just a few meters away.
 
Duo was talking animatedly to Quatre, who would nod and smile every once in awhile so Duo knew he was actually listening. Kurama, who had finally stopped sketching, tore the sketch out and stood up, walking calmly over to Hiei and the others.
 
"Fox approaching at 2 o'clock!" Yusuke whispered. They all turned to be greeted by Kurama, who had a nice sadistic little smile on his face. Man, was that creepy. They could feel their skin crawl.
 
"Hiei, what do you think of my drawing?" Kurama asked, handing Hiei the sketch. Hiei looked uneasily at Kurama as he received the picture, then looked at it. He felt his stomach clench.
 
Hiei put it down on the table for everyone to see. The girls gasped sharply, and Kuwabara turned a sickly green.
 
On the page was a very detailed sketch. A very gruesome and detailed sketch. It showed a room, with four figures.
 
In the bottom front was the corpse of a middle-aged man, who had his stomach and vital organs spilling out of a deadly wound, and his eyes were gouged out, along with his tongue. His lower jaw had been cut off, and as a few inches away from the body.
 
On the right side was a woman, her middle-back length hair was torn out in large clumps of head, and a gaping wound was in her neck. Her eyes held a slightly manic gleam.
 
On the left side was a teenage boy, his long hair was only touched by the blood that pooled out of his chest wound. He had a soft smile on his lips, and a ball was by his fingertips.
 
In the center of a page stood a young buy, no older than 7. He had waist-length hair, and all that could really be seen was his back. He was rather slim, and had on jeans and a loose t-shirt, both mostly ripped. In his hand was a bloodied dagger. His head was slightly turned, so you could see one eye. In that one eye reflected so much inner pain and sadness. The most disturbing thing was that he had two shadows, one that matched the boy, another that was totally different.
 
"When you were looking at the files of L-2..." Kurama started, breaking them out of their horrific study of the picture, "I could tell that you felt sorry for us. The pity in your eyes..." Kurama said. "It was disgusting."
 
They stared at him, shocked. "I do not need nor require your pity. As you have seen and read, I am the cause of my own misfortune. Therefore, I receive all I have coming. No complaints. Duo feels the same way." Kurama said. He was leaning against their table, looking up at the ceiling. "We have no need or right to be freed from our hells." he added.
 
"Back at the party, after you beat Trowa, you said you were sorry. If you don't want forgiveness, Kurama, then why do you plead it?" Hiei asked. Kurama laughed. A short, sort of maniacal laugh. "I don't need forgiveness, Hiei; I'm already over the edge. Couldn't you tell? It runs in the family." he laughed, starting to walk away.
 
Hiei clenched his fists, before standing up abruptly and slamming his fists on the tables, then turned to face Kurama with an angry glare. Kurama was evidently surprised. "Do you honestly think you are the only one affected by this?!!" he yelled. Kurama flinched. Hiei willed himself to calm down. "You are really aggravating, Shuuichi." Hiei sighed. He stopped. He let that name slip out!
 
Kurama's face turned cold. "What did you just call me?" Kurama asked, barely above a whisper. Hiei met his challenge. "I called you Shuuichi. That is your real name, isn't it?" Hiei said. Kurama bent down and pulled a dagger out of his boot. "They put their daggers in the strangest places..." Yusuke said. Keiko smacked him in the head. "How can you think that at a time like this?!!" she screeched.
 
In a second, Kurama was next to Hiei, and his dagger was stabbed through the sketch and table. It stabbed right through the boy. "Shuuichi is dead. The reports were mistaken, I killed five people that night." Kurama growled out, before turning sharply and stormed out, followed by Duo and Quatre.
 
Hiei pulled the dagger out of the sketch, and quickly folded and put away the paper. "But wait....if you count Shuuichi, that's only four people..." Yukina said. "I guess Kurama didn't learn to count?" Kuwabara tried, earning a smack from everyone except Yukina. Hiei's eyes widened. "He killed one more..."