Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ 30 Days of Drabble ❯ Day 26: Shadows ( Chapter 26 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A/N: I haven't got a thing for the author note this time, so you go ahead and enjoy the story! (ficlet? drabble? Call it what you like.) [Rules for this challenge are in chapter one.]


Day: 25
Date: March 7, 2010
Prompt: inveterate /in-VET-uhr-it/, adjective: 1. Firmly established by long persistence; deep-rooted; of long standing. 2. Fixed in habit by long persistence; confirmed; habitual.
Fandom: Mobile Suit Gundam Wing
Character: Heero
Disclaimer: Bandai, Sotsu and Sunrise own Gundam Wing. I just use the characters for my own amusement and with any luck at all, your amusement as well.


Shadows

The war was over. The war had been over for more than a year but still he could feel eyes on him; could see shadows searching for him.

That night was shaping up to be worse than most. Three times he'd caught himself reaching toward his hip for a gun that did not exist and he was less than halfway through the walk of less than a mile. Passing dark alleyways, he'd twitch at nothing more than the darkness.

He knew that he was overreacting. He knew there was nothing out there trying to get at him. He knew it and not for the first time, he wondered if maybe he should consult someone on the matter.

The idea was not quashed as quickly as he'd managed previously. It sounded reasonable as well as desirable, but in the end, he reasoned that there really was no one to talk to; no one who would understand. He squeezed his fists, countermanding the need to hold the reassuring grip of steel, focused his attention forward and kept on walking.

- End -