Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ A Child's Love ❯ Secrets Revealed ( Chapter 2 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Title: A Child's Love 2/?
Author: Makoto Sagara
Archive: http://www.angelfire.com/anime3/makotosagara/, http://www.fanfiction.net/ http://www.afallenangel.net/fandom/

Category: Romance, angst
Pairings: 2+1+2, OCxH, 3x4, 5xS
Rating: PG-13
Warnings: Shonen ai, language, angst, OOC, set 5 years after EW

Disclaimers: Don't own Gundam Wing. Don't make any money. Heck, don't own plot really. *cries for not owning anything, not even computer*

A/N: This plot bunny has taken a life of its own. I actually enjoyed writing the first part, and couldn't wait until my beta told me that the first part was good, so I could start this part. BTW, the little boy's name is Allilon, which is ancient Greek for one. Relena has a fetish for one, I suppose. Also, many, *many* thanks go to Lady Violet, for beta'ing this while dealing with her own fic.
Dedication: To Angel, who started this whole thing. And Stacy, who thought up the name.

Summary of last chapter: After celebrating his 21st birthday, Duo realizes there is something missing from his life. After some prodding from Hilde and her boyfriend, Mike, Duo finally tracks Heero down in Paris to see a small boy with brown hair and blue eyes standing behind the ex-Gundam pilot.

Symbols: /blah/ thoughts
*blah* emphasized words
*~*~*~* major scene change or POV change
*~~~~~* minor scene change


Heero Yuy watched as his adopted son exchanged stares with Duo Maxwell, the one person he had never expect to show up at his doorstep. /I never thought I would see him again./

"Uncle Heero, who is that man?" his god-son, Allilon, asked, still peering from behind his legs.

Heero shook his head to clear the cobwebs in his mind. "Allilon, this is Duo Maxwell, an old friend of mine." He turned to Duo. "Duo, this is my god-son Allilon. He lives with me."

Duo just gave him a blank stare. Heero was slightly warmed at the familiar look. /Five years have passed, and he still looks like I remember./

"Baka." He glared at the gaping man in his doorway. "Coming in?"

"Huh?" Duo said. /Still have a way with words, I see,/ Heero thought.

"I asked if you were coming in. You are letting the air conditioning out." Heero picked up little Allilon and moved back, allowing the American entrance to the house.

"Um, yeah. Sure," Duo replied, stepping inside.

Heero closed the door, and put the little boy down. "Allilon, go play with your toys and Joey outside in the backyard. Uncle Heero needs to talk to his friend for a while. Okay?"

"Okay. Bye-bye, Mr. Maxswell," the Allilon replied, running towards the back of the house.

Duo shook his head and smiled. "Bye, Alli-kun. I'll see you later, buddy." He snapped his attention back to Heero. "Cute kid. Who are his parents?"

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Duo watched as Heero's blue eyes drooped for a moment, and then smiled as the old mask of nothingness was placed on the former Perfect Soldier's face. /Touchy subject, I take it. Well, it's not like I asked a STUPID question./

Heero walked over to the couch in the big living room, and that's when Duo took a look at the inside of the house. The living room was sparsely furnished, but everything was tasteful. /Relena was here to help, I see. Everything is black, blue or cream. Relena *definitely* was here to help./

"Sit, Maxwell. Don't stand there staring," Heero said, sitting in a very comfortable looking chair.

Duo sat in a chair across from the brown haired man. "Um, so, Hee-chan, who's kid is that?"

Heero sighed. "He is Relena's son."

Duo blinked. "O-kay... So, why is he living with you? I mean why wouldn't he be with his parents. I remember she got married a year after the Eve's War."

"They died a few months ago." Heero looked lost. /I never thought I would see him look like this again. I remember that even when Ojou-san was kidnapped by Mariemaia, he went straight to Perfect Soldier mode. Now he looks like a lost little boy./

"How?"

"Shuttle exploded. I told Relena I would keep Allilon while they went to a peace conference." Duo watched as Heero's face twisted in anguish. "I should have gone!" /He feels guilty that he didn't save her again./

"Heero, you couldn't watch her all the time. You're only human, no matter what you want to think."

"Don't you think I know that!" Heero was close to growling. "It should have been me, not them. Allilon needs his parents, both of them, not some guy who barely knows how to be human."

Duo felt his heart lurch in his chest. /Heero is a good person. I see it in him, but he won't allow himself to believe it./ He took a deep breath, swallowing the lump in his throat. "Heero?"

"Hai?"

"Are you going to be alright?"

"Yes." Heero stood from his chair, walking towards the sliding glass door of the adjoining dining room. "What brings you all the way to Paris? I thought you were on L2 with Hilde."

Duo blinked suddenly. /He knew I was on L2 with Hilde? How? Why didn't he contact me? Why didn't he call, or stop by, or SOMETHING dammit??/ His mind was racing with the implications that Heero's statement left in the air.

"Maxwell."

He shook his head, his braid smacking his sides as he did so. "Sorry, Hee-kun. I was thinking. What did you ask?"

Heero snickered. /Same old baka./ "I asked what brought you to Paris. It's a long way from L2."

"Well, I just turned twenty-one, and it's been five years since we all saw each other..." Duo was blushing, unable to finish his sentence. /I can't say the rest. I just can't. Not like this./

"So you decided to have a little reunion?"

"Um, something like that." Duo shifted a little in his chair. "Would you like to come to dinner with me some night this week?" he blurted out before he could stop himself. /Great going, Maxwell. Let's just see how far you can stick your foot down your throat./

Heero thought the offer over. /It's not like I have anything else to do, except I DO have Allilon, but then again, there is always the babysitter, or Quatre and Trowa, who aren't that far from here./

/He's gonna say no. I know it. He's got that look that says 'Like I would ever go to dinner with someone like you' on his face. Smooth, Maxwell, really smooth,/ Duo berated himself.

"How is Tuesday evening? I will have to find someone to take Allilon for the night, and that will take some time," Heero responded.

/He... He said YES? I must be dreaming./ "Tuesday is fine for me, but why not bring Allilon with us? That way, I can get to know the kid better."

"Are you certain? He CAN be a handful, but after two years of dealing with you, he is easy for me," Heero said, letting the slightest smile cross his lips.

/Is he SMILING? Heero smiling and teasing me? I *gotta* be dreaming./ "Yeah, I'm sure. He looks like a cute kid. Besides, what harm can he do?"

"You'll see. So, where are you staying?"

"The Ritz, I think. Hilde made the reservations. I just checked in. It's a snazzy place, though." /Damn, I sound like an idiot. What is it about him that makes me feel so off? I always have./

/He looks like a little kid when he does that to his face./
Heero shook his head. /He just came as a friend to catch up, but... No. He wants nothing more than to still be friends./ "Sounds like you." Heero looked at his watch. "Duo, I have to make dinner for Allilon now. Would you like to stay? I'm sure I can make enough for you, as well." /Please?/

/I didn't eat anything on the flight, or the day before. I was so nervous. I didn't even stop at the hotel long enough to eat, but I'm so tired. I really should have gotten some sleep before I did this. Probably didn't help me talking, or my nerves either,/ Duo thought.

"Maxwell, did you just go away on me?" Heero's voice broke into Duo's inner monologue.

"I'm sorry, Heero. I haven't rested since I got on the shuttle." /I wanted to see you too badly./ "I think I will have to decline, and go back to my hotel."

"Aa. Well, can Allilon and I give you a ride back to your hotel?"

"No, but could you call me a ride? I have go to go to the little boys' room."

"Baka. Third door on your right, upstairs. And, yes, I'll call a cab for you."

Duo jumped from his chair, turning as he placed his foot on the last step. "Thanks, Hee-chan." He ran up the stairs towards the proffered rest room.

"You haven't changed in all these years, have you, Duo?" Heero whispered, picking up the phone, and placed a call for a car.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Duo crashed on his bed as soon as he returned to his room from the dining area downstairs. /I don't think I can take another happy, lovey-dovey couple. I'm so tired./ The phone on the night stand rang, jolting Duo from his thoughts. He sat up and scooted over towards it, seeing the front desk's number.

"Yes?" he said wearily.

"Monsieur, you 'ave some messages. From a woman
on L2. She sounded fairly worried."

"Thanks," he said, hanging up quickly. /Hill. She wants to know that I'm safe, and is probably having kittens because I haven't called her yet. I suppose I should call her./

Duo picked up the phone and dialed the number to connect with Hilde at the scrap yard. He snickered as a form crossed the screen, disappeared, and was followed by a string of cursing.

"Hill, you should really clean up that language. What if I was a customer?"

Hilde stood, allowing Duo to see the *very* annoyed look on her face. "Then you would have had to deal with it. It's not like we are known for our verbal etiquette." She narrowed her eyes at the braided man before her. "Why in the *hell* didn't you *call* me and say that you had *arrived*?" she yelled, her face the color of a tomato.

"I got...busy. I kinda forgot. Sorry. I will try VERY hard to be better in the future," Duo put on his best exhausted, big-eyed, kicked puppy look, and added, "It was a *really* long day. See, I was trying to find Heero, but...all this *stuff* got in the way..."

"Like what?"

"Well, you know. *STUFF*."

"What KIND of "stuff"?"

"Um, IsawHeeroandtherewasthiskidwholooksalotlikehimbuthesactuallyRelenaswhoisdea dandHeerohastoraisehim."

"WHAT?"

Duo took a deep breath. "I went to Heero's as soon as I checked in. He has this kid..."

"He has a *kid*?"

"Would you let me *finish*?" Duo asked, absently tugging on his braid.

"Sorry," Hilde mumbled.

"Ok, so this kid. He's a doll; brown hair, big blue eyes, sweet as pie. Anyway, the kid is Relena's, who died a few months ago. Evidently, her shuttle blew, and Heero was watching Allilon, the kid, and well he's the god-father. So..."

Hilde looked stunned. "But, didn't she have a brother?"

Duo smiled. "Yeah. MIA with Noin some time ago on Mars."

She thought this over. "Oh my god, when did Relena die?"

"Bout five months ago. Why?" He gave her a questioning look.

"Don't you remember?" She stared at his blank face. "That's when Howard had his stroke."

"We lived at the hospital then. Yeah, I remember that now. Shit. What they say is true. Bad things happen in threes."

"What other bad thing are you talking about?"

"I had to buy my house, because my apartment burned down. DUH, HILL!"

"OH, damn, you're right. That was the same time."
Duo paused for a moment. "Did you know that Heero has a dog?"

"The *hell*, you say!"

"I kid you *NOT*! AND, it's name is Joey!" Both of them broke into laughs.

"A *dog*? Joey?" Hilde gasped between laughs. "Oh god, this is *RICH*! I'm gonna have to remember this."

She stopped laughing, and her face grew grave. "So, when are you coming home?"

"I dunno yet." Duo stifled a yawn. "Hey Hill, I'm tired. Can I call you later?"

Hilde smiled. "Sure, Duo. I'll talk to you later."

Duo blew her a kiss, and cut the line. /I feel a little better, but I'm still dead tired./ He closed his eyes, laying back on the bed. /No wonder I didn't hear about Relena's death. I was so worried that Howard was gonna leave me. Hilde and I never left the hospital for a month. Mike ran the scrap yard. And, besides, I didn't have a place then. Wasn't worried about television much./

His thoughts trailed off, and he was soon sleeping soundly.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Duo spent the next two days exploring the sights of Paris. He hit the Louvre, Notre Dame, Sacré Coeur, the old government buildings, the parks, the Arc du Triomphe, The Latin Quarter, and even took a trip on the Seine. He could barely keep in all the information the cute tour guides were throwing his way, but he would smile and nod, hoping to God that he wouldn't be quizzed on any of this by Heero, or Hilde for that matter.

Tuesday was taking too long to come, in Duo's opinion. It was Tuesday afternoon, and he had talked to Heero Sunday night to set up the details. Heero was bringing Allilon to the hotel, and the three of them were going to dine in one of the restaurants downstairs. /Not much imagination, but what the hell was I hoping for? An intimate dinner at his house?/

Hilde had called every day he was gone. /Hate to see that phone bill. Glad she pays all the bills, otherwise, I'd have had a nervous break down by now./ Duo smiled. /Math was always 'Fei's area of expertise. I wonder how he and Sally are doing? I haven't heard from him in a few years.../ His thoughts trailed off, being replaced by a deep feeling of loss. /When did he stop calling me? Why didn't I notice? He was my best friend before I moved back to L2. How did I not notice that he wasn't calling me anymore?/

Duo racked his brain, trying to remember the Chinese man's number. After twenty minutes, he gave up, and starting searching the luggage for his laptop. Five minutes later, he was placing a call to the Po-Chang household.

"You have reached the Po-Change residence. We are unavailable at the moment. Leave a message, and we will get to you later," Sally's voice said pleasantly.

/Damn. Means he is either at Preventers' HQ, or on a mission. I think I'd rather try at HQ, before I go interrupting a mission./

Reluctantly, Duo dialed Wufei's direct number. It rang twice before a familiar face appeared. "Chang," Wufei said, not looking up.

"Hey, Fei! What's going on?"

"M...Duo?" Wufei's face shot up, revealing surprise all over it.

"Yep, that's me." Duo smiled as he watched his friend stop his work to talk to him. /He sure has changed. I remember when he would ignore me while he was busy. That is, unless I was *really* annoying./ "You busy? I could call back."

"Not particularly. What can I do for you, Duo?"

"Well, I'm on Earth visiting, and I thought I'd try and catch up. I heard you got married to Sally. When did *that* happen?" Duo asked, although the announcement said it was ten months earlier. "And, how come you didn't *invite* me, man? I thought we were close?"

"Yes, we did get married. Approximately ten months ago." Wufei frowned. "It was a small ceremony. Sally insisted on a *very* private service. Only two witness and the civil servant to say the words. I'm sorry, Duo."

Duo smiled. "No problem, Fei. I was just kinda hurt that you didn't invite me." He quickly changed the topic. "So, what else have I been missing out on in your life?"

Wufei faintly blushed. "I'm going to be a father..." he said quietly.

Duo was taken back. "Wow, you are gonna be 'Baba Fei'? Sweet! When is Sally due?"

"In six months." Wufei broke out into a huge grin. "We will be able to determine the gender in another 3 weeks."

"Congratulations," Duo said excitedly.

"So, where on Earth are you, exactly, Maxwell?"

"Paris. I'm visiting Heero, and his god-son, Allilon, for a while."

"You are *staying* with Yuy?" Wufei asked incredulously.

"No, I'm staying at the Ritz. I'm going out to dinner with them in a few hours though."

"Ah." Wufei paused, and his face grew serious. "Are you sure that you are ready to do this?"

"What do you mean, Fei? I've put this off for five years now."

"I am just asking if you are sure that this is the right thing to do now? I am concerned for your well-being. That is all."

"OH! You're asking if I thought this out." Duo snickered. "Yes, Fei, you can rest assured that a *lot* of thought went into this plan. Besides, if I didn't, Hilde was gonna call him up and spill the beans for me."

"*That* onna has been nothing but problems since the first day. And I told you as much." Wufei mock-glared.

"Fei, I'm gonna tell him how I feel. Tonight."

Wufei froze. His eyes grew to the size of silver dollars. Taking a deep breath, he looked at his friend, and spoke. "I wish you luck. You will need it. And tell me if anything happens, so I know whether or not I should hunt him down."

Duo laughed. "You are never going to forgive him for punching me and then leaving me to Mariemaia's Army's tender mercies. Even if you were part of that army."

Wufei winced. "No, I am not. And you are fortunate that I *was* there." He paused, a deep and thoughtful look crossing his face. "If it turns out you aren't ready... just remember, I *am* your friend, though we have not spoken recently."

Duo's face grew serious. "I know, Wufei. Thanks."

"No problem."

Duo looked at his watch. "Oh shit. I have to get ready. Tell Sally I said hi. Congratulations again, Fei. You'll be a great dad. Talk to you later?"

"Yes." Wufei glanced at the papers on his desk. "Eventually. I will relay your message to Sally. Good luck, Duo."

"Thanks, man. Bye, 'Fei!"

Wufei smiled. "Good-bye, Duo."

Duo cut the connection. /Gotta hurry. I still need a shower./ He grabbed some clothes, took his hair out of its customary braid, and was almost in the bathroom when the phone rang. He walked over to the phone, and hit the accept call button.

Heero's face appeared on the screen, eyes growing large as he noticed Duo's hair out of the normal plait, and falling around his face in waves.

"Hiya, Heero," Duo said. /I hope that nothing bad has happened./ "Sup?"

Heero blinked. "Hello, Duo. Nothing major has happened. Allilon is spending the night over a friend's house, and he is unable to come with me tonight."

It was Duo's turn to blink. "You are going to allow him to sleep over someone else's house?"

"Aa. His family has cleared the checks," Heero said.

Duo laughed. "You ran a check on a three year-old's family? That's great." He looked himself over. "Um, Hee-chan, I, uh, gotta take a shower. You still coming in an hour?"

There seemed to be a slight red tinge creeping across Heero's face. "Aa. I will be there."

"Ok," Duo said nervously. "I'll see you then."

"An hour," he said pointedly. "Goodbye."

The screen went blank. /An hour... Still gotta bathe./

Duo walked into the bathroom, and took a long, hot, luxurious shower. /I don't care if I do own a third of a successful business and a house, hot water is still scarce. Best thing about Earth,/ he thought, stepping out and wrapping one towel around his waist and another around his hair.

He dressed quickly, putting on comfortable black slacks and a blue button-down shirt. He then checked his reflection in the mirror of the bathroom. /Ok, looks good./ He shot a glance to the rather large turban on his head. /Still gotta dry my hair./ Thirty minutes, a rather large brush, and a hair dryer later, Duo was braiding his hair.

Suddenly, there was a knock on his door. Duo walked nervously to answer it, wiping his sweaty hands on his pants. /Deep breathes. Smile./ He pulled open the door, and his face fell when he saw that the person on the other side was not Heero, but the maid.

"Désolée, monsieur, I am 'ere to clean ze room," she said, pushing her cart closer to the door.

Duo remember to speak. "Uh, that's fine. I'm going down to dinner."

"Oui, monsieur. Bon soir." She watched him grabbing some of his things from around the room and throwing them in his suitcases, then putting the luggage under his bed. He turned, grabbing his wallet and a black dress jacket, and walked out the room. "Sure, whatever that means, back at you," he said, walking down to the elevators.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Duo made it to the small restaurant just in time to see Heero being seated at a table in one of the dark corners. /Good. We'll be able to get some privacy,/ he thought, approaching the maitre d's stand.

"Nom?" the haughty looking man standing behind the stand said.

/Huh? Why did I come to Paris and I don't speak a *lick* of French?/ "I'm sorry, what?"

"Your name. For the reservations."

"Oh, um, Maxwell? Yuy?"

"Ah, you must be Monsieur Maxwell. Monsieur Yuy is awaiting you." The maitre d raised a hand. "Michel! Viens ici!" A blond boy came trotting up. "Montre cet homme au tableau douze." (1)

"Oui," The blond boy said, and then turned to Duo. "Zis way, monsieur."

Duo followed behind the busboy, his eyes locking on the table where Heero was seated. He could see that Heero was wearing a bright blue silk shirt, and khakis. /I never thought Heero was the khakis type. Of course, I suppose he can't live the rest of his life in spandex, though, he did manage a war in those shorts. And looked damn good./

Heero looked up when the busboy and his dinner companion arrived. "You're late."

Duo blushed as he took the chair across the table from Heero. "Gomen, Hee-chan. I got held up by the maid."

"Hn."

"Wait, that didn't come out right! I thought that the maid had come this morning, but she hadn't, so all my stuff was lying around and I had to neaten up a little before I came down!"

"Baka. Sit."

*~~~~~~~*


Dinner passed by with awkward silence. Duo tried to find something to talk about. Nothing seemed to keep the conversation going for very long. Not surprising, since Heero hadn't been known as a big talker.

Dessert followed soon afterwards, but Duo was more interested in looking at Heero than eating the sweet confection in front of him. /I should tell him now. While I have the chance. Even if he's mad at me afterwards, it doesn't matter. Because I would have told him./ He swallowed, wishing his mouth wasn't quite so dry, and took a deep breath. He opened his mouth, but was struck dumb when he looked at Heero again. /I am *never* going to get this done. *EVER!*/

Heero watched as Duo opened his mouth, and then closed it. /He looks...speechless? That's a first./

Finally, Duo fell back on his time-honored tactic of saying what he needed to say, but saying it at such speed that only a trained ear could understand him. "HeeroIminlovewithyouandhavebeeneversinceImetyouIcantstopthinkingaboutyouev enfiveyearsafterthelasttimeIsawyou." Duo blushed.

Heero blinked. /He's in love with me? He's been in love with me since we met? He can't stop thinking about me? Even five years later? How did I miss *that*?/ He took a minute to process all that, and then said, "I am in love with you as well. That's why I left after the Eve's War."

Duo blinked, repeatedly. "Wait a sec... you *got* all that?"

"Aa. I've known you long enough."

Duo blinked again, Heero's response finally dawning on him. "You... you love *me*? And you left? Why?"

Heero sighed. "I knew you were under the impression I was in love with Relena. I also knew that Wufei was in love with you."

"Huh?"

TBC...


(1) ~ Michel! Viens ici! Montre cet homme au tableau douze. - Michael! Come here! Show this man to table twelve.