Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ A Normal Life ❯ Chapter 3

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer:
I don't own Gundam...or the Original Characters!! They're all based off real people! Really! Names have been changed for the protection of the stupid.

Authoress Note: Gomen minna-san!! This took so long to get out...I've spent the last week working like a dog for my English teacher...evil...she is a nice person, but an EVIL teacher. Grrr......

* * * * *

A Normal Life: Chapter 3

* * * * *

"Ayame?" Duo asked, staring.

"Yes, Ayame." Heero replied, smiling. "What does it surprise you that I'm living with three girls, one of which is like a little sister, and the other two like daughters to me?"

God, he's so damn cute when he smiles.... Relena thought.

"Just a bit...." Duo said, trailing off.

"Well, I've explained to you what I've been doing here, now why are you three here?" Heero asked, settling himself down on the couch once more.

"We have a job offer for you." Zechs spoke up.

Heero shook his head with a apologetic look on his face. "Sorry, no can do. I have a family now, if I die on some suicide mission, the girls will have nothing. Besides, Rose knows who I am. She's sworn to kill me if I ever take on another mission. I'm much more afraid of Rose than I am of you." he said, looking straight at Zechs. Zechs only grunted in reply.

"It's not a suicide mission Heero. It'll take less than a week." Duo assured him.

"You might as well fill me in on the details, I'll make my decision afterwards." Heero said, with a sigh.

"A terrorist group is after Relena." Zechs said it bluntly. Heero stared right back at him.

"So what else is new?" There was a touch of sarcasm in his voice.

"We know who they are, and where they are." Zechs continued.

"Then I don't see what the problem is." Heero said, frowning.

"They know we know. They know they have only a few days left. They're desperate to leave a mark, because they know they're dead."

"They want to kill Relena and are willing sacrifice everything to get her, because they know it won't be worth anything soon." Heero finished.

"Exactly."

"I still don't see why you need me. The Preventers are good. Very good."

"They're getting close. Too close." Zechs said. During this whole conversation, Relena had her eyes clenched shut, and her skin was turning pale.

"How close?" Heero demanded, his demeanor suddenly dark.

"What?" Zechs was surprised by his sudden change of tone.

"How close?" he repeated himself.

Relena stood up, and lifted the sleeve of her T-shirt to reveal a white bandage. She moved a shaking finger to a point on the white cloth. "The bullet went in here," she moved her hand to a spot on the back of her arm "and out here."

Heero stood up, but she wasn't done. Lifting up the bottom of her shirt to reveal her midriff, Heero saw another white bandage, wrapped around her stomach. "Another one went in here, and out here. And a third in here, and stopped against the back rib, I had to have surgery to get it out." she moved her hand away, and her shirt fell back into place. She was staring at the ground, reliving the horrifying experience.

What she didn't notice, but Duo and Zechs did, was that Heero's hands were clenched into fists at his sides, and he was trembling. A lone tear made it's way out of Relena's eye, and fell to the floor. That was the last straw.

Heero quickly went over to her, and wrapped his arms around her. She froze for a second, then leaned onto his chest, and cried into his shoulder. Duo seemed to enjoy the sight, and it seemed to infuriate Zechs, but he couldn't seem to make himself intervine. After a short while she had cried herself out and fell asleep in his arms. Heero laid her gently on the couch, and then turned to Zechs.

"I'll take the job. But, only on MY terms." he said. Zechs gestured to him to continue. "I have school, and three girls to take care of. I can't leave. But she can. She's already reportedly on vacation, so she can stay here, and won't be missed."

Duo nodded. Even though he wasn't keeping track of Relena, he still watched the news. Her vacation was common knowledge, the real reason for it wasn't.

"What are you saying?" Zechs narrowed his eyes.

"I'm telling you that until you and your Preventers get rid of this group, she's staying with me. I'll enroll her in the local high school, with all of my classes. Wherever I go, she goes, not the other way around, like in most bodyguard jobs." he said.

"Over my dead body." Zechs growled.

"I wasn't asking you for permission, Zechs, I was telling you what I am going to do. If you want your little sister to live through the next week, I suggest you listen." Zechs glared at him. That sounded a lot like a threat, and Heero knew it.

"Zechs...I know what it's like to have a little sister. I know how much you care for her. I'll keep her safe." he said, his eyes softening. "But the two of you had better leave, you, or at least you, Zechs, stand out like a sore thumb."

"Fine then. I'll leave, but Duo stays here too. He's you're age, you enroll him in the school too." he added his own condition to the agreement.

"OK, deal." Heero said. "Oh, and by the way, how much does the job pay?" he asked.

"Pay? After that stunt? You gotta be kidding." Zechs turned his back, opened the front door, and left.

Heero pulled a blanket over Relena's sleeping form, and looked at Duo. Regarding the huge grin on his friends face... OK, a week with Duo and Relena living in my house. I am so dead.

* * * * *

Heheheh....I hadn't planned on Duo staying with him, but, it happened somehow...I think I'll keep him there....it might be fun...heheh

* * * * *

-Ayanami_Chan
ayanami_rei@softhome.net