Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ An Encounter with Fate... ❯ Encounter ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Gundam Wing... *sniff*

Encounter with Fate...

Part Two

"He's going to kill himself."

"What?!?!"

"Give me that!" Zechs snapped snatching the book from my grasp. His eyes darted along the pages, and after a moment he looked up, shocked,

"He's right." he replied handing me the book again and turning to leave,

"Are you just going to leave?!" Zechs shrugged,

"Why should I care if he takes his own life?"

"Because *your* sister just so happens to love him, too."

"She's young and will find someone else."

"And never forgive you for letting him kill himself when you could have tried to stop him! If Relena means anything to you, you would know how much it would break her heart to loose Heero! And what about the rest of us?! He's the best friend that I ever had! The least you can do is come with us to try and stop him for Relena's sake if not anyone else's!" Zechs let out a disgusted grunt, but nothing else...

~*~*~*~*~*~*~ (Heero's POV)

I tiredly walked into my apartment, shutting and locking the door behind me. It had been another long day, and I had been looking forward to this evening, because with it would come the end of my suffering.

In my room I pulled my gun from my desk drawer, checking the cartridge to make sure it was loaded, and adjusting the silencer. I whirled around, pointing the gun at my 'visitor'.

"Relena..." she glared at me angrily, yet sadness dominated her eyes.

"What do you want?" she stepped towards me,

"I want to bring you to your senses! Do you really think suicide is an answer? It's the coward's way out!" I glared at her,

"How did you know?"

"You told me good-bye, and you had once promised me that you would never tell me good-bye unless I was never going to see you again. I find it hard to believe that you would forget your promise."

"You can't stop me."

"You're acting like a spoiled and selfish child! Have you even thought about the people you'd leave behind and the pain you would put them through?! How much you'd be hurting them?" she paused, and I put the gun down by my side, as she took a shaking breath, "Have you even thought about how much you'd be hurting me?"

"I said good-bye."

"That's not good enough!! Heero... do you love me?"

"Wh-"

"Do you love me?" she asked again, taking another step forward, never taking her eyes off of me. I looked away,

"I can't answer that."
"Can't or won't?!" she demanded,

"Can't."

"Why not?! Tell me!"

"Because I can't!" I snapped

"You won't is what you mean. Either way, it doesn't matter, because I love you, and I don't want to loose you,... and I know that you love me too."

"You're wrong."

"Maybe I am, but why bother to remember a promise to someone who means nothing to you? Why go through the efforts to buy and bring me a birthday present? Why would you remember my birthday... unless you care about me..."

"It would never work."

"Not if you continue to refuse to try."

"It couldn't work, Relena."

"Why?! Tell me!"

"Look at me, Relena!! I'm nothing more than a soldier, a killing machine, I can wipe out an entire fleet of mobile suits and its soldiers without even blinking, because it doesn't bother me, its simply apart of the job that I agreed to do. The war is over, but my battle has yet to end. And it won't end until my life ends! Because then it will all finally be over, I won't have to fight anymore, I won't have to suffer anymore," I glared at her again, "You don't care about me, more than anything you pity me, and that is one thing I don't want or need! Even if you think you love me, it doesn't matter because it would and could *never* work! A soldier and a princess, an assassin and a pacifist, this isn't some fairy tale, Princess! And besides that, the people would *never* accept us, the V.F.M. and a Gundam Pilot, you'd only ruin your career."

"Don't you see? I don't care what anyone else thinks. As long as I know you love me and I love you, nothing else matters!"

"You're wrong and you know it." I hissed through clenched teeth,

"I know this, I love you, but my love can't save you, only your love for yourself can. And if you do kill yourself, then I'll know that I was wrong, that you didn't love me, and you never cared about me or the others, and you never were our friend, because friends, true friends, don't purposely do things that they know would hurt the ones they care about," she stepped towards me again, "I love you, and I don't want to loose you... please don't leave me Heero." she whispered softly, her eyes shining fresh tears.

"Whatever happens is for the best, Relena." She closed her eyes, nodding.

He watched her closely, she opened her eyes, and stood directly in front of him. And then, ever so gently, she kissed him gently, warmly. He closed his eyes, memorizing the feeling of her lips against his, the taste of her kiss. She pulled away and quickly left; he stood there with his eyes closed, a slightly pained expression on his face, as his fist clenched at his side. Only after he heard the sound of the front door being shut softly, did he dare to open his eyes, letting out a soft, sad sigh.

I looked at the gun in my hand, she would thank me one day.

"Trowa, come out of the sky light." I replied without looking up, I turned around to face him, just as he landed on his feet in front of me. His face was as expressionless as ever, and he didn't utter a word; only stared at me. I turned and walked into the living room,

"Duo, Quatre, Wufei, come out right now!" I ordered, waiting for them to come out of their hiding places, and when they had, I motioned towards the front door,

"Get out."

"No." Duo replied crossing his arms,

"Look, I'm not in the mood for this, Duo. I said get out, and I mean it. I'd rather not subject you to my death, so I suggest you leave."

"You'll have to kill us before we let you kill yourself, you incompetent coward." Wufei snapped. I silently stared at them a moment before raising my gun,

"Fine, if you insist…" Thunder rang out and I clasped my injured hand, before glaring at the culprit responsible for shooting my gun and hand,

"Zechs." I seethed; he glared at me hatefully, his eyes thin slats of frozen blue.

"You are a coward. Taking the easy way out. You know, I was going to let you die, but I won't give the satisfaction of that, nor will I let you put my sister through any more torment than you already do. I'm sick and tired of your bullshit," he paused a moment, "Though, I will applaud you on one thing."

"Oh? And what is that?" I snapped,

"Fooling me. You made me believe that you might care or even love Relena. You made me believe that you would always look out for her and protect her. You fooled me into believing that people could believe in you, that she could believe in you… hell, that I could believe in you! You *are* a manipulative coward!"

"It was by your own foolishness that you believed all of that, because I never said I would." I watched him a minute, "Would you really give your consent to our being together?" I asked surprised, he nodded,

"Do you realize that it would only drag her name through the mud. Ruining her reputation as the pacifist Princess; she could be removed from her position as V.F.M., charged with treason for association!! Have you even thought about all the danger her life would be in?!"

"You're not a Gundam Pilot, simply a Preventor's agent and bodyguard to her Highness. You are a person that has many people that look up to him and admire him. Which is worse? Relena being removed from her position and she's happy? Or keeping her position and being mentally and emotionally shattered for life, because she lost the one person that meant more to her than anyone else, and all because of you? Which is worse Heero? Could you really have peace knowing all of the pain you put her through?" Quatre asked.

"It's better with me not around. The world is safer. I have refused to give up my Gundam, and am a potential source of danger to the peace. If I'm not around it makes Relena's job easier, and less stressful."

"Oh, so you're saying that you are doing this for *her*?" Duo countered,

"In a way, yes."

"And if you don't mind explaining, please tell us how in the world you came to that conclusion?!"

"Do you know how many nights she's cried herself to sleep because I was away on a mission and she was worried sick about me? Or how many times she lost sleep because I was injured and in the hospital and they didn't know if I would make it? Do you know how many times she's woken up screaming from a nightmare that I was in having to save her, or fight, or self detonate? Do you?! I do. I know ever times she's cried, every nightmare she's had, every silent prayer she's prayed, every lost night's sleep." I paused, looking away, "I'm making it to where I won't make her cry for me anymore, I'm stopping the nightmare's, I'm taking away her reason to pray for my safety."

"Like hell you are!" Trowa snapped, and I looked at him surprised, "If you died, she would only cry more, the nightmare's would increase, and she would pray the God bless your soul from the moment she woke up till the day she herself dies. You would only be making her life worse, and you know it!"

"It's better with me gone, that's all I know."

"So now you're going to run away?" Quatre asked, "How will that solve anything? You're problems will follow you wherever you go."

"She'd know I was alive and you would know I was alive. It's better if I'm not around, she's safer this way, safer from me and the danger that I bring." Duo let out a sigh,

"Well, I guess we can't stop you from doing that because the moment we turned our back on you, you'd be gone. We'll miss you Heero."

~~*~~

It was dark and silent as I walked down this desolate street, wandering aimlessly, refusing to turn back. I wasn't taking a planned course, all I wanted was distance between us, between me and her

"Do you realize that you are giving up your only chance to be truly happy?" a small voice asked. I stopped, looking around,

"Who said that? Show yourself!" I could hear a child laughter, that of a small girl's. The wind began to blow wildly, whirling around me, and then suddenly… it stopped.

"Up here." the voice called, I looked up to see a small girl sitting in the branch of a tree, grinning down at me.

"What do you want?"

"There's the greeting of the year." she mumbled with a sigh, then disappeared only to reappear right in front of me.

"Who are you?!" I demanded, she smiled,

"It is you who should know me best of all, Heero Yuy."

"Why is that?"

"Because you will know me in the future. You must go back to her; all will work itself out. But you must go back to her."

"Relena? I can't."

"Then I will show you all that you are giving up." she whispered waving her hand as the world around me deteriorated…

I was standing in the middle of an aisle, where at the front of the church, two lovers in love, silently whispered their eternal vows. Then, I was standing in a candle lit bedroom, where the figures of Relena and himself were making love, gold bands glistening on each of their left hands… I found myself in a hospital room, Relena's petite figure lay in a medical bed next to a window, as she cradled a tiny infant wrapped in a pink blanket, and she smiled down lovingly at it before looking up at a figure of me. Then I saw a little girl sitting next to a Christmas tree opening a large present just as a fuzzy head popped out of the box, causing the little girl to squeal with glee. Hundreds of images whirled around me, hundreds of sounds, hundreds of my future memories…

"Are you willing to give all of that up?" a voice asked. I looked around, I was back on the empty street, the same little girl standing in front of me, "If you leave, you'll be giving all of that up. Do you really want to give all of that up?"

"Are you saying that all of that will happen if I go back to Relena?" she nodded, "And what happens if I don't go back?"

"Then, don't go back and you'll find out. But if you truly love her, go to her."

"I do love her."

"Then tell her."

~~*~~

No one answered the door at Relena's, so I quietly opened the door, letting myself in. She was upstairs in her room, staring out of the window. Coming up behind her, I wrapped my arms around her waist,

"I love you." I murmured against her hair; I felt he shiver in my embrace, causing me to hold her closer.

"I thought you were going to end your suffering." she whispered,

"I am ending it."

"What changed your mind?" I felt myself smile,

"Let's just say I had an encounter with fate."

~*The End*~

AN: All types of comments accepted, flames, advice, etc. Please review. Thanx!