Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Because of You ❯ Change'll do you good ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title: Because of You
Author: Supurrkitty
Disclaimer: I do not own any Gundam wing characters, never have, never will, and that's it!

A/N: Please, Read and Review. >^.^<

Change'll Do You Good


Quatre smiled to himself as he watched his dirty, bare feet walk on the clean carpet of the dormitory hallway. He was carrying a plate piled with peach cobbler and covered in thin plastic wrap. He was recalling how his day took a turn for the weird. Starting with him hitting his head on a pole after hearing Brody remark on his thoughts on Quatre being in Demetri's room all night.
He let out a small chuckle as he stuck his key in the lock on the door to his dormitory. He was stopped, though, when the knob turned and someone on the other side opened it. Quatre jumped slightly in surprise, then smiled at his roommate.

" Oh, hello, Duo." Quatre said as Duo glared at him. Quatre didn't seem to notice and slipped past him into the room.

" Hello, Quatre." Duo said in a spiteful tone, " Have fun?"

Duo closed the door quite loudly, making Quatre turn around and look. He raised a brow, and then smiled.

" It was unusual to say the least. I met Demetri's family after a freak accident..." Quatre said, and raised his hand to his head at the thought. He had a small gash and a large bump.

" So, you've been hanging out with that girl this whole time?" Duo asked, still in a dark tone. " Forget anything?"

Quatre looked at Duo questioningly, he was still glaring into Quatre. He looked down at his feet and chuckled.

" Yeah, I think I left my shoes in Demetri's truck. It doesn't matter, though, they're ruined now, I'll have..." Quatre was cut off by Duo's sharp tone.

" Forget ANYONE?" Duo raised his voice to emphasize.

Quatre looked at him blankly again, this time deep in thought. A few tense moments passed as Duo glared at the lost Quatre.

" I don't...think..." Then it dawned on him. Quatre got a horrified look on his face. " Oh shit! Duo, I am SO sorry! I totally forgot!"

" I noticed." Duo murmured.

" You don't understand! I...well..." Quatre's stomach sank in embarrassment, " I hit my head and was out cold for hours..." Quatre said, quickly motioning to the gash on his head.

Duo blinked at the injury then smirked and eventually started laughing.

" You hit your head!?" Duo said in between laughter. " What, did you get distracted by Demetri and run into a pole!?" Duo laughed harder, imagining the scene.

" No..." Quatre said, but knew Duo didn't hear him. " Here, have cobbler..."

Quatre handed Duo the plate, sighed and went to change his clothes.

Duo stopped laughing and looked at the strange looking dish.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


It was Sunday morning now, a wonderful day of rest. Quatre was planning on it, but he woke up early anyways. For some reason he felt really restless and decided to make two pots of coffee, just to have something to do. He wanted someone to talk to, but Duo was still snoozing soundly.

Quatre tapped his finger on the counter he was leaning against and sighed. He looked out the window and noticed that clouds were starting to gather again. The weather had only aloud them one sunny day. Quatre continued tapping his fingers and looked at his watch. It was eight o'clock. Surely there was something to do. He looked all around and almost growled in frustration before he remembered that Duo was still sleeping.

Quatre poured himself another cup of coffee and started drinking it. Life suddenly seemed so...so...well, boring!

He started pacing and watching his feet rub against the kitchen tile. Then, his stomach grumbled. He opened the short fridge and found the peach cobbler from the night before. Half of it was eaten, but Quatre decided it would go nicely with his cup of coffee.

' When did I start getting addicted to coffee and stop drinking tea?' Quatre asked himself, then shrugged, ' Oh well...'

Then, he was reminded of his new friend, Demetri. It might have been the cobbler or maybe it was the I-don't-give-a-shit-about-change attitude.

Quatre smiled, thinking about her and her family. But then, he realized how little he knew about her. She was still very much a mystery to him. And, he must have been a mystery to her. There were so many things he wanted to know and to tell. Most of all, he just wanted to talk to someone right now.

' Possibly,' Quatre thought, ' I want to talk to her more than others...?'

He looked over at the phone. He could call her right then if he wanted to.

' I don't want to intrude or seem too...forward or anything.' Quatre thought, ' But then, friends call friends a lot, don't they?'

He stepped towards the phone, but then drew back.

' She's probably too busy. Besides, I'll see her tomorrow. ' Quatre turned away from the phone, kind of depressed then.

Then, the phone rang. Quatre turned around and glared at it. He picked up the receiver and put it to his ear.

" Hello?" Quatre asked in a melancholy tone.

" Oh, hey Quatre. It's Demetri. Did I call at a bad time?"

Quatre smiled to himself.

" No, not at all. What's up?"

" Nothing really, just felt the need to have a friendly conversation."


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


It was about a week after their phone conversation and the semester was drawing to a close. Demetri and Quatre's Monsoon break was coming up. Demetri told Quatre that she didn't like calling it Summer break, that it was much better called Monsoon break. When Quatre asked why, she explained that, in this part of the earth, there were no summer days, it just rained all the time.

" It's not much of a summer without summer days, now, is it?" Demetri had pointed out.
Quatre was only starting to figure out how her odd mind worked...

Now, it was Friday and the last day of classes. All the tests were taken and the results were being given that day. Both Quatre and Demetri felt they did well. After all, they stayed up late practically every night studying at her place, trying to ignore Lee, who was still staying with Demetri.

They were in their last class, Biology, the one they originally met each other in. All the papers were handed back when the class ended and happy students hurriedly filed out of the room. Quatre stepped down from where he had been sitting and went to where Demetri was putting up her things. He quietly laid his test down next to hers. She examined it and compared it to her own. She looked up at Quatre, questioningly.

" Why is your score lower than mine?" She asked. Quatre noticed she sounded stuffy.

He silently turned the page and pointed to one of the largest essay question and pointed to an angry paragraph scribbled in red.

" He just had to put in one about Human and Animal instincts, didn't he?" Quatre asked, frustration highlighting his sentence.

Demetri chuckled, but then sneezed.

" You should have just..." She sniffed, " ...gone by the book..."

Demetri pointed to a textbook on the table, which just happened to be written by their professor. Quatre narrowed his eyes on the cover text.

" That shit-load of feeble minded beliefs!?" Quatre said, rather loudly.

" Quatre!" Demetri warned in a hushing tone. Quatre had changed in many ways since she first came to know him. He wasn't as quiet or shy and he was certainly most comfortable around her.

" No, that would be giving him what he wants. Conformation! Then he would win. Not this time, though. This time I won and I've not given in!" Quatre proclaimed, his finger in the air. A few of the passing students laughed and the professor glared in their direction. " You see? He knows he lost. I am truly victorious..."

" But," Demetri laughed, " You still didn't get your best score. Nor shall you ever if you decide to keep your opinions in college."

" Oh no!" Quatre gazed down at Demetri, " They've gotten you!"

Demetri rolled her eyes at him and grabbed up her stuff as they started to walk out of the classroom. They walked, side-by-side, down the hall towards the exit. The floors were soggy from the constant rain, just the previous Friday. They both realized that it had been a week to the hour since they first introduced themselves and that this day was imitating that life-changing day. Neither one of them said anything about it, though.

" You know," Quatre started, " They should make a play or write a book or something about the eternal struggle between professor and student. They could even use hand puppets or something..."

Quatre stuffed his things in his bag and used his free hands to make little puppets. Then, he made them talk in strange, silly voices.
" Ahahah, I have many degrees more than you and a book, so my opinions matter most!" " No, no! I will keep my opinions and still get through college!!" " Impossible! You must conform!" " Never!!"

People in the hallways were looking at them strangely and some were laughing at the childishness of it. Demetri was laughing hard and Quatre smiled at her, happy he could make her laugh and look so happy. But, then they were interrupted by a sneezing fit from Demetri. Quatre silently kept count. One. Two. Three! Four! Five!? Five sneezes!?

" Demetri, you aren't feeling well, are you?" Quatre stopped just before they got to the doors, making some students complain. He pulled Demetri in front of him to look down at her. She looked at him, but then looked away, almost like she was ashamed.

" No, not really..." She said.

Quatre looked at her before bringing his hand to her forehead.

" Demetri, your head is burning up!" Quatre exclaimed.

" Well, I'm freezing my ass off, does that even things out a little" Demetri asked, trying to laugh, but the happiness just wasn't there.

Quatre winced at her dark laugh, then took his jacket off and draped it over her shoulders.

" C'mon, you need something warm to drink." Quatre said, giving her a small shove towards the door, " You can come to my place and have coffee or something. Duo's pretty big on coffee."

" But, I have to go take care of the horses." Demetri said, stopping under Quatre shove.

" I really don't think you're in any condition to be doing that tough work, Demetri." Quatre said, " You should call and ask someone to do it for you. I'm sure Blake wouldn't mind."

" Yeah, you're probably right," Demetri said, then smiled at Quatre, " Thanks."

" No need to thank me, I enjoy always being right."







A/N~ Yeah, that was a little shorter, but, oh well. Next chapter we get to examine how Duo interacts with Demetri and how Quatre interprets it. He's not jealous, is he?