Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Because of You ❯ Confide(nce) ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title: Because of You
Author: Supurrkitty
Disclaimer: I do not own any Gundam wing characters, never have, never will, and that's it!

A/N:
Horisont(): Enlightening, eh? I'm glad you think so, that's often a tough question and there's often no answer to it. I also did that a little to show Demetri's feeling about relationships, give insight to her past relationships and also to ones she hopes for...

EclipseAzNGTX: Guh...yee...wow, I never though anyone really read my stories that much. I very much appreciate every single review I get. Even if I got loads of reviews, I would go through and appreciate every single last one. You're a very good confidence booster, by the way...

Oh yeah...*does two happy dances* Thank you for making me dance! I do love those amusing looks my siblings get on their faces! >^.^<



Confide(nce)

Her hands were so tight on the reins, they broke out in an itchy sweat. Her saddle seat seemed harder than ever and her posture was stiff. She forced her self to relax as she pulled her mare around one last time. Those barrels were taunting her, daring her to make her best run. Normally, she would have gladly taken that challenge, but this time, she hesitated. Something didn't seem right. But, she leaned forward and gave her horse the lead, anyways. With a click of her heals, the pair was off like a flash.

They were eating up the distance between the timer and the first barrel, when Demetri first noticed it. The arena was slightly damper than she was used to. And she was used to just about every type of arena. She then realized that she was the first one to ride after they wet down the arena. But, these were professionals. There was no way they would make such a miscalculation.

They reached the first barrel and Demetri took the reins in her right hand and pulled hard to the right to circle the barrel. She saw a small flash from the corner of her eye. A picture had been taken of them making the turn. The turn didn't kick up any dust, an act that had earned Demetri her name. She also felt Lady slide a little, making her stretch out to keep her footing. Demetri had come so close to the barrel that she touched it with her foot and thought for sure she'd knock it over. But, they cleared it and bounded for the next one.

But then, Demetri realized why they had not kicked up any dust...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The power came back suddenly, all the lights turned back on and the room filled with noises. They were noises that would normally go unnoticed if they had not become accustom to the complete silence.

Demetri woke quickly, startled at having her dream interrupted. She shot her head around, looking for something. She had no idea what, but she had to find it even if her life depended on it. She made herself calm down and caught her breath.

Demetri looked down at the blanket on her and smiled. She pulled it up to her face and hugged it tight. She breathed it's warmth, taking in the scent it held. It was soothing and familiar to her. She realized that this was what Quatre's jacket had smelled like. She didn't know he smelt so good.

" Are you okay?" Demetri jumped at the voice then looked towards it's owner.

Quatre was sitting across from her in the chair that Duo had been sitting in the night before. He looked like he had just woken up and his shirt was missing. Had he been sleeping there all night? Demetri felt her face grow warmer, but stopped herself by smiling at him.

" Yeah, I'm fine." Demetri said, " I was just surprised..."

Demetri rubbed her eyes, mainly to keep from looking at Quatre.

" How are you feeling?" Quatre asked, " You look...uncomfortable...is there anything I can do for you?"

Demetri brought her hand to her forehead. She hadn't noticed that she had been sweating and that faint blush was probably the only thing that kept from looking pale as a cadaver. But, she was feeling much better than the day before, besides the groggy, dirty feeling she had from sleeping in her clothes.

" I...I'm fine..." she said, wiping the sweat off her forehead and looking down at the blanket, " I just had a...a bad dream, that's all..."

" It must have been pretty bad," Quatre said, " Would you like to talk about it?"

" Uh..." Demetri looked up at Quatre, surprised. " N-no, that's okay...I get that dream a lot..."

" Morning guys!" Duo said, coming out of his room with just his boxers on.

" Good morning, Duo." Demetri answered back, happy that he had interrupted the uncomfortable situation between her and Quatre.

Quatre mumbled his greeting and stood up.

" I'll go make some more coffee." Quatre said, leaving the room.

" Did I say something that I shouldn't have?" Duo asked Demetri after Quatre left.

" Uh, no, I don't think so..." Demetri said, looking in the direction that Quatre left in. She too was confused by Quatre's behavior. Had SHE done something wrong or offensive?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quatre spoke to neither Demetri nor Duo much. He seemed to draw back from both of them. He had been kind of hurt when Demetri drew back from him and avoided conversation with him. What was worse, she used Duo to avoid him.

Now, he had dropped her off at her truck, still at the university, and he didn't head home from there. He needed to drive a little to think things through.

Demetri watched Quatre drive off and sighed, close to tears. There was something bothering him and she was sure it was her. She told Quatre that she was going to be at the stables most of the day, but he did no more than acknowledge her speaking before he drove off.

Demetri shook her head before getting in her truck and driving towards the stables. When she arrived, she was shocked to see all of her brothers and her father. Of course, Lee was standing far from them, almost lost in a row of stalls. Demetri jumped out of her truck and walked over to the group that included her father. She was disgusted to find out that Brody was conversing with her dad. She decided to talk to one of her brothers. She settled on Blake.

" Blake, what's going on here?" Demetri asked.

" Oh, hey Demetri. We didn't expect you to come this morning." Blake said.

" Okay, so why are you all here without me knowing?" Demetri asked, annoyed.

" Demetri!" Her Father interrupted before Blake could answer. Demetri sighed angrily and turned towards her dad.

" Dad, what are you all doing here?" Demetri demanded. Brody smiled at her and she glared in response.

" Oh well, it was going to be a surprise, but..." Her father pointed to behind her.

She turned around and saw their farm truck and trailer and, tied nearby was...

" Daddy, you didn't..." Demetri mumbled, a dark disbelief in her voice.

" You still expressed interest in the colt and his running season is coming up. I figured you wanted to finish his training. You did start his training and he is your...mare's only offspring and all..." He trailed off.

Demetri walked over to the horse tied nearby. She pat his neck and spoke softly to him. He was the same horse that she had calmed down the night Quatre met her family.

" Dad, I can't finish training Clover and I definitely can't bring him into his running season." Demetri was practically pleading with him.

" Well, we'll talk more about it later. You should think about it some more." Her father said, turning away. " Either way, he's going to stay here. If you don't train and ride him, then Brody and Lucky are going to train him for roping and he'll start his season in the fall."

" Brody?" Demetri hurried in front of her father and stopped him from moving further, " How can you let that scum even touch one of our horses!?" She said, harshly.

" Young lady, you might be twenty, but you will still not talk to me that way and you will respect my decisions." Her father stated, " Now, if you are willing to take responsibility for him, I will pass his papers over to you, but otherwise, he's still the farm's property and Lucky's roping horse."

Demetri bit her bottom lip and looked away. How COULD her father do something like that? How could he threaten her with Brody!? How could he hurt her like that!? But then she reminded herself that her father didn't know how hurt she would be. He didn't know why she hated Brody as much as she loved horses...he didn't know...

" Wait!" Demetri cried out to her father, who had moved towards leaving while she thought. She ran after him and smiled weakly, her eyes shining with unshed tears. " Dad, dad, I'll do it. I'll take Clover, I'll train him, and, god forbid, I'll even run him this season...I just..." She didn't finish, but looked away.

" That's my girl." Her father said, patting her shoulder, " That colt will get you back in the game in no time. It's in his blood to run. Oh, and don't worry about board, we'll pay..."

He gave her a quick hug before him and two of her brothers took off in a truck.

" 'In his blood'?..." Demetri muttered in disgust.

Blake tapped her shoulder and she turned around, shocked.

" Where would you like me to put him?" He asked, holding the stallions lead rope in his right hand, the horse on the other end.

" Oh, uh, there's a stall right next to Strider's that's been open for a while. Here, I'll take you to it..." She started to lead him down a row of stalls.

" Strider? Oh, is it that range horse you bought for three hundred?" Blake asked, slightly amused.

" Yes." Demetri glared at him, " He was only three months at the time, taken from his mother, couldn't even touch 'im, but he's under saddle now, almost three years. He turned into quite the horse. I think he's got some thoroughbred in him, but he's mostly Quarter horse."

" Brody keeps calling him a range rat." Blake mumbled.

" Brody doesn't know anything." Demetri stated, " He buys expensive horses, ignores them until they're sour and then whips them to work."

The got to the stall and put Clover in. He was an interesting contrast to Strider. Strider was a reddish bay with a black mane, Clover was a black and white appaloosa with a white mane. Spots were scattered here and there on Clover, but he was mainly white. Clover had a small, short, halter-bred head with big cheeks, a curved throat latch and small, wild eyes. Strider had a big, long head with big cheeks, a muscular neck and dark, wise-looking eyes. Clover's mane was short and kept, while Strider's was grown, yet straight. Clover's tail was long and wavy from braiding, while Strider's was long and straight. Clover was a stout, muscular horse with a square rear end. Strider was tall and leggy, but his rear was muscular and rounded. He looked as if he could spring into a graceful action at any moment.

" Well, sis, looks like you're raising yourself a regular English horse." Blake said, examining the Gelding.

" You think so?" Demetri leaned against the bars, staring lovingly at the bay. " Remember all that Hunter/Jumper practice I used to do? I never got very serious about it, but I think I want to use him to do just that. It's more for him than me, though. He wants to be known. He knows that people are biased about his lack of breeding and he wants to prove what a three hundred dollar horse is really worth."

" You've kept him up all right, but do you really think he stands a chance against all those thoroughbreds?" Blake asked, slightly amused.

" Look," Demetri motioned to Strider's feet, " Look how he stands. It's like he's going to just jump over these bars and run away. Hell, he'd be racing now if I could make it so he could, but I'm saving him. He knows he's going to be something big, he craves it. He's ready to go."

The gelding nickered and walked over as if he understood. He nuzzled Demetri's forehead, then moved towards the gate and nickered again.

" No," Demetri laughed at Strider, " Not till next year, boy. Yer too young yet."

" Demetri." A male voice that wasn't Blake's came from behind. She turned around to come face to face with Brody. A little too close for her comfort. He smiled at her, which disgusted Demetri. " I hope you're feeling better. I need you to ride some of the horses. I won't be able to do it. I already talked to my father."

" What?" Demetri blinked, " I hope your father's going to give me the trainer's fee for those horses, then."

" Oh, don't worry, you'll get what's yours." Brody said as he slipped away to, Demetri assumed, his truck.

" Why am I not convinced?" Demetri asked Blake, who laughed in return.

But, she did it anyways, since she didn't want to get fired from her job. But, as she rummaged through the tack room, she had sinking feeling in her stomach. A feeling of impending doom. Was she afraid to ride? She tried to shake off this feeling as she dragged a saddle, pad, and bridle and bit out and placed them on the hitching post. Blake came with a Black mare that Brody usually rode in the show ring. She had a white face and a long white stocking up her front right leg.

Demetri saddled her up and slipped the bit into her mouth. They started to walk the horse towards the arena. Demetri looked to the road, hoping that a car would come into the drive. She felt scared that Quatre wouldn't want to see her again, and, right then, she felt like she needed him the most. She needed his support when she rode. She could get advice from anyone she stopped in the stables if she wanted to, but only Quatre could help her with her emotions...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quatre drove around for a while until he got into the farm country. There were fields all around and small, old houses. It was a huge change from all of the colonies. He pulled off into the dirt next to a large field of alfalfa. He got out and leaned against the side of the car, looking out across the field.

' I have no right to be mad at her...' Quatre finally decided, ' I'm sure she wasn't comfortable with talking to me right after she experienced a terrifying dream. Besides, how am I helping her right now? If I know her, she's worried about upsetting me and worse off than she was before.'

' She needs my support...' Quatre suddenly had the feeling that he needed to go to her now. He wasn't mad at anyone but himself now. He needed to apologize.

Moving quickly, he got back in the car and turned around, heading for the stables.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Demetri examined the arena and kicked at some dirt and watched it go in the air as dust. She looked to just outside of the arena. Lee was bringing Clover over, saddled up. He had agreed to riding him for Demetri, since she wouldn't have time. She was kept too busy with the stable horses that Brody should have been exercising.

" If dad saw that, he'd go nuts at both Lee and you." Blake smirked at Demetri from the rails of the arena.

" I know..." Demetri said as she watched Clover and Lee enter the arena. She stared at the horse next to her and sighed.

" You gonna ride or what?" Blake asked.

" Yeah." Demetri said and, in one swift move, she brought herself onto the horses back. She gently sat on the saddle, but the horse fidgeted at the oddness of having another creature on it's back. Just how broke was this horse, Demetri wondered and begged more in her mind for Quatre to be there.

' Maybe she's just reacting to my nerves,' Demetri thought.

She walked the horse around the arena and watched Lee jump on Clover. The stallion made to take off at a mad gallop, but Lee never gave him a chance and reined him into a lively walk, some paces behind Demetri. Lee worked pretty good with the horse, Demetri decided, much better than she ever had.

Demetri continued to walk the horse around until she figured she had to pick up the pace. She brought the mare to a medium trot and forced herself to have a perfect seat. Her stomach tightened again and she got shivers up her spine.

Suddenly, the mare threw her head and shifted on her back legs, then took off. Demetri almost panicked, but managed to pull her back down to her trot. Demetri's heart was racing and she looked around her. Lee was busy with Clover, but Blake blinked at Demetri, then looked away. He must have thought Demetri had lost her touch. If only he had seen her riding Strider, he would think rather otherwise.

' I need to get my confidence back...' Demetri thought as she dreaded the lope. ' I wish Quatre was here.'

Then, as if on cue, the blonde came into sight from behind the bleachers. Demetri was surprised and her heart gave a jolt. The mare must have sensed it, because she took off at a bucking run.

A/N:
Hmm, I guess that was sort of a cliff-hanger...hmm...
*does a happy dance* Man, I just can't stop myself!









A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)


Keep that in mind all...>^.^< >^.^< >^.^< >^.^<