Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Because of You ❯ The Good and Bad ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title: Because of You
Author: Supurrkitty
Disclaimer: I do not own any Gundam wing characters, never have, never will, and that's it!

A/N- Geez, this took long! Sorry about that, but you know how life and things get in the way...Oh well, I won't make excuses. On with the story!


The Good and Bad


Quatre couldn't wipe the smile off of his face. It was raining and he had been out for hours, but he wouldn't change the day for the world.

Him and Demetri stayed on top of that hill, outside of the car until the rain actually did come in. They had talked, confessed that they did hold a fondness more than friendship, and kissed. When the rain came, they got back in the truck and went back to the road, but had to pull over when the wind and dust got too bad, just like Demetri described.

There, they talked more, but mostly admired the storm raging around them and enjoyed each other's company.

" What are you so happy about?" Duo asked from his spot in front of the television when Quatre came in.

" Nothing." Quatre said, still smiling.

" Oh," Duo said, waving dismissively, " So she kissed you, so what?"

" Huh?" Quatre turned to face Duo " How did you know?"

"What else could it be with that stupid look on your face?" Duo asked, and then turned his attention back to the T.V. " Damn, I was going to ask her out, too..."

" What?" Quatre asked.

" Well, you two were just 'friends'. I was gonna ask her before you took the next step, but, I guess I'm too late..." Duo shrugged.

" You're evil..." Quatre said, shaking his head.

" Thank you." Duo smiled

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Demetri unlocked her door and walked inside her apartment, setting her things down next to the door.

" You know, you could have just knocked. I would have answered the door." A voice came from the couch.

Demetri jumped and looked over, surprised. She saw Lee sitting on her couch reading a magazine.

" Geez, you scared me," Demetri said with a smile, " I forgot you were here..."

" I've been staying here for over a week." Lee stated, eyebrow raised, " Are you okay?"

" Couldn't be better." Demetri smiled and went into the kitchen to get a drink.

Lee shook his head and went back to his magazine.

" Quatre must have kissed her..."

" What did you say?" Demetri asked, coming back into the room and sitting across from Lee.

" Blake talked to dad after you left." Lee said, almost bitterly.

" So?" Demetri asked, " He lives with him. Yeah, he's anti-social, but they have their occasional conversations like any human being living in such close proximity."

" I was just sayin'..." Lee said and picked up his book.

" Lee, what's going on...?" Demetri asked.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

" Demetri?" Duo opened the door and looked down at the drenched woman, " what are you doing here?"

It was the morning after Quatre and Demetri advanced their relationship. Usually, the rain would come in the afternoon and be gone by morning, but this time it never stopped raining.

Demetri gave Duo a weak smile. She was wearing her usual jeans; the cuffs were soaked where she waded through the flooding water. Her boots were replaced with sneakers, which were also soaked. She had on a tight tank top, covered by a cotton jacket with a hood, which was covering her head.

" Is Quatre here?" She asked as she pulled the hood off of her head and Duo noticed she wore her hair down. Her hair was long and very wavy. It had a way of threatening to fall down in front of her eyes. " Duo?"

" Oh," Duo shook his head, " No, he left earlier, but...Er, would you like to come in, you're soaked. You can wait for Quatre in here."

" Okay," Demetri said and came in.

She took off her jacket, leaving only her spaghetti strap shirt to cover her upper body. She sat down on the couch in the same place she sat last time.

" It's nice to see you again, Duo." Demetri smiled " I hope I'm not causing you inconvenience."

" Oh no, not at all," Duo shook his head, " It's not like I can go anywhere, anyhow."

" How so?" Demetri asked.

" Oh, I got my license suspended a few months ago," Duo said, scratching his head.

" What did you do?" Demetri asked.

" I just went a little crazy on my bike...more than a few times..." Duo said, looking to the side, " But, hey, I can get it back soon, that's good."

" Yeah." Demetri said, a little side-tracked.

" You okay?" Duo asked, sitting down next to her.

Demetri felt the couch shift under his weight and became aware of his presence.

" I..." Demetri paused, taking a deep breath. " I'm just...overwhelmed at the moment..."

" Don't tell me you and Quatre are having problems already." Duo sighed, leaning back.

"..." Demetri looked over at Duo, flushing slightly. " No... did Quatre tell you about yesterday?"

" He didn't have to, I saw it all in his stupid, perverted grin." Duo said with a chuckle.

Demetri blinked at Duo, then smiled slightly, " Do you two really get on each other's nerves that much?"

" Well, yeah, but I respect the guy." Duo said, " He might be ignorant, stupid, overly sensitive, dense, obsessive, a neat freak, not nearly as good looking as I, useless, and easily manipulated, but he's a pretty nice guy."

Demetri chuckled, looking over at Duo.

" I'm not sure I agree with everything you just said." Demetri smiled.

" Ah, you said 'not everything', that means you believe some of it." Duo pointed out, " Must be the part about the dense, obsessive, neat freak, which is not nearly as good looking as I. Oh, and maybe the nice guy part, too."

" Duo," Demetri laughed again, " I can only hope that, one day, some girl can put up with you enough to see through your annoying exterior and learn to love you, so she can take you away and protect the rest of us from you."

" That..." Duo pointed to her, staring sternly, " ...is the sweetest thing anyone has ever said to me!"

With that, he hugged her tightly.

" Duo!" Demetri complained, in between laughter.

" Ooh, you're soft, I like hugging you." Duo smiled, snuggling.

Demetri kept laughing, but tried to push Duo off of her.

" Mmm, you smell good, too, what is that, raspberry lotion?" Duo asked, sniffing her skin. " Yup, must be."

Then, Duo unlatched himself from Demetri and scooted away from her a bit. Demetri looked at him, confused. She was glad to have him off of her, but she didn't understand his sudden actions.

" Trouble coming." Duo said, looking at the door.

Demetri looked over at the door, and, about half a minute later, the door knob started to turn, making her jump. It made her wonder how Duo knew someone was coming down the hall and that they were heading for that room.

Quatre came through the door and dropped his keys, startled at seeing Demetri. He picked them up, then smiled at Demetri, who smiled back. His smile faltered slightly after examining her. Demetri suddenly became very aware of herself and did a mental check of her appearance. She was wearing a tank top, her jacket was on the end table closest to the couch, her hair was a little messed up, and she felt and looked flustered from Duo's hug attack. She looked over at Duo, who greeted Quatre with a wave and a hidden look of guilt.

Quatre was still busy deciding what to think. There, together on the couch, were his best friend and girlfriend. Both looked flustered and didn't speak a word. Demetri was wearing a tight, thin-strapped shirt and her usual jeans. He noticed that her jacket was off. But, there was still not enough evidence to accuse them of anything drastic.

The silence seemed to loom in the air, making it harder to breath.

" Demetri," Quatre forced himself to smile, " I wasn't expecting to see you this morning. You should have called first."

Quatre took off his jacket, shaking some of the water droplets off. Demetri didn't smile, but look at Quatre, concerned.

" Well," Duo stood up and headed towards the door, " I should probably go for a walk or something. I haven't been out of the building in almost three days."

Duo waved as he grabbed his jacket and hurried out the door. Quatre watched him leave, then looked back over at Demetri.

" What was that about?" Quatre asked, trying not to sound harsh or accusing.

" Nothing really," Demetri smiled, " I was just talking to Duo, waiting for you to come home."

" You don't have to lie to me, Demetri..." Quatre sighed, still standing.

" Why would I be lying to you!?" Demetri asked, a bit offended.

" I don't know." Quatre said, " It just seems a little suspicious how you two were acting..."

" You, of all people, should know the sort of person I am, Quatre! I would never do that to you or anyone! We were just goofing around!" Demetri defended herself.

" Oh really?" Quatre asked, with a tone, " How so? The kind of goofing between a guys best friend and his girlfriend that makes everything awkward!?"

" Quatre, you're over-reacting!" Demetri screamed.

" Am I? I thought relationships were about telling each other things, including the truth! Without trust, there can't be love!"

" Who ever said anything about love!?" Demetri stood up. " I sure as hell didn't!"

"..." Quatre took a small step back and stayed silent.

" I don't believe you! I just want to be friends with Duo, that's all!" Demetri said.

" You and I were just friends, did you think about that!?" Quatre asked, now angrier.

" Yeah, we were, weren't we?" Demetri nodded her head, " And maybe it should have stayed that way."

Both Quatre and Demetri seemed to be taken aback at what came out of her mouth. Quatre looked to the side and Demetri took a step forward, regretting that they had ever started arguing.

" Quatre..." Demetri put her hand forward.

" Is that how you feel?" Quatre asked

" I say stupid things when I'm angry, I don't feel that way..." Demetri looked at him apologetically. " I'm sorry."

" Good, because I don't feel that way either." Quatre looked back over to her. " I'm sorry. I should trust you and Duo better."

" This was all my fault." Demetri said, " You have every right to worry the way that man acts around women..."

They stayed silent for another couple of minutes, looking at the ground.

" Let's not do that again." Quatre suggested.

" I agree." Demetri smiled.

" That really scared me, you know?" Quatre smiled back at her. " All these thoughts ran through my head. What if I'd lose you? What if you disappeared from my life forever? Right when we start out, it'd be like not giving us a chance at all..."

" I'm sorry...for scaring you..." Demetri said

Quatre stepped forward and brought her into his arms, not saying anything. He was just glad to be able to hold her.

After a bit of this, Quatre moved back from her and they both sat on the couch.

" So," Quatre started, " Why'd you come without calling first?"

" I should have called..." Demetri sighed " Well, I was a little distressed, so I guess that didn't run through my head."

" Distressed?" Quatre blinked at her. " Why?"

" Well, my father called me, and he wants me to take Clover to a barrel practice..." Demetri sighed.

" ...Are you...okay with that?" Quatre asked, remembering the story of Lady's death.

" I wasn't at first, but I agreed to it anyway." Demetri said, " But, then I began to think about it more and the feeling I get when I run...I'm kind of looking forward to it."

" Demetri, that's great!" Quatre smiled at her and gave her another hug.

" I'd like for you to be there. It's this weekend." Demetri smiled up at him.

" Of course I'll come." Quatre said

" Great!" Demetri said, " because this will be my first run in years."



A/N- Odd place to leave off, but, what the hell...The next chapter will be interesting. You will go inside the bowels of Rodeo...well, actually, just a barrel practice...which is much different... Nevermind...

Oh! I have wonderful news! personal news, anyway. I am now the FFA President at my school! And, I'm going to Kentucky this year at the FFA national convention! I'm sooo excited! Also, in September, Strider, one of my horses, will start his first show season! Happy day!

But, for the bad news: I'm really really really sick right now and I only want to sleep, but I have a huge load of FFA work to do that's due at the state office by this weekend! Oh well, I know I can do it! I'm President! Cheer me on!

Please...

Supurrkitty