Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Behind the Scenes ❯ Chapter 10

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Title: Behind the Scenes 10/?

Author: C-Chan2 a.k.a. Neptunesdemon

Archive: WufeiDuoyaoiML, any others just ask

Category: Romace

Pairings: 2+5/5+2

Ratings: PG-13

Spoilers: None.

Warnings: Yaoi, OOC, AU.

------------------------------

Zechs Marquise was a very busy man. Then again, it was to be expected, being the top journalist for the biggest tabloid of the country. He wasn't ashamed to praise himself and liked to think that the magazine's success was due to his brilliance. As narcissistic as it sounded, it was actually quite true.

Tabloid journalist, Zechs Marquise, was the first to have any and all information on the best dirt about any celebrity scandal. Hell, he had the first article up announcing Jen and Brad's relationship trouble, its fall, and ultimately their divorce. Then again, he was best at what he did. He didn't just take any old rumor and print it with a photoshop picture. He liked to make sure any and all rumors he got were true.

And they usually weren't, but when they were, it was front page material. Though recently he'd been having a sort of slump. The tabloid world seemed to be dragging, as celebrities seemed to be taking careful steps. There was new information on the ever talked about Tom Cruise, but Zechs didn't bother. He had enough of that man and baby Suri as he could stand. What he, and the rest of the tabloid community, needed was something new. A new face rather, as he was pretty much tired of hearing about Angelina Jolie as well.

At the moment he was trying his best to sound interested in the news an anonymous informant was dishing him, but found that he was rather bored. With a quick dismissal and a promise to think about all he was told, Zechs slammed the phone back on to the hook. He was beginning to become quite frustrated. He hadn't gotten anything worth printing in two weeks. He had a reputation to uphold here, and at the moment, he had nothing to print that would keep his name in the limelight.

His intercom buzzed, and he sighed as he pushed the button to speak into it.

"What!", he snapped, as he was in no mood to be civil.

"You have a guest, Mr. Marquise.", his secretary's bored tone squawked through.

"I don't want any visitors.", was his order and he leaned back in to his chair with a groan.

It would seem that whomever was here to see him was persistant, since his secretary's voice came again.

"She says you won't want to miss this opportunity."

He snorted, rolling his eyes though no one was there to see the gesture. He had heard that line before, three times today, and all he had gotten was run down and old stories. There was nothing that this visitor could tell him that would have him even remotely curious.

"She says it's dirt on Duo Maxwell."

Zechs suddenly sat up, his eyes looking to the intercom in disbelief. Duo Maxwell? No one had dirt on Duo Maxwell. The man was a genius at avoiding the paparazzi and his life seemed to be all too perfect. The "A" list star had to have the cleanest slate in all of Hollywood, save his own past that he revealed in his new autobiography.

His hand reached out on instinct to tell her to let his visitor through, but he paused halfway. There was a chance that this would be a waste of his time and that whatever dirt he was given about the Duo Maxwell, would be nothing more than empty rumors. His finger reached for the transmition button, as he had made his decision.

"Let her in.", he'd take that chance.

A few seconds later, his gum-chewing secretary was leading in a blond haired woman, dressed in a navy blue business suit. He nodded his thanks to his secretary, who left with a roll of her eyes, her gum snapping loudly. Zechs studied the young woman after they were left alone, offering her a smile, though her face held its stoic look.

"Zechs Marquise, I presume?", she asked him, her tone of voice flat and uninterested, yet all business.

Zechs nodded, standing from his desk to make his way around it and to her. He held his hand out for hers to greet her with a handshake.

"That would be me.", he confirmed, his smile never wavering.

He tried his best to hold back the grunt of discomfort as his hand was taken in a strong grip and shaken firmly. What the hell was this woman on?

"Dorothy Catalonia.", was the quick introduction, "I was sent here to inform you of some information that you just might find helpful to your line of. . .work."

Zechs only shrugged, gesturing that Dorothy seat herself down. The woman accepted with a nod of her head, and Zechs followed her to his desk, reseating himself in his chair. When they were seated, he looked to her again, wondering if it hurt her face if she showed any form of emotion.

"So, Dorothy, who sent you?", he thought he had a right to know.

"That's confidential.", that was to be expected.

He only smiled with another shrug, before he was leaning back in his chiar, his hands pulling open the top drawer of his desk. He pulled out his box of smokes, offering one to Dorothy, who declined with a slight shake of her head. With the box of cigarettes returned to his desk, and one resting between his lips ready to be lit, he looked to her again.

"Do you mind?", he asked her.

She shook her head again, and Zechs resisted the urge to roll his eyes. He had to wonder how the hell this woman got about with only body signals and barely any words.

His cigarette was lit, and Zechs took a long drag from it, before he slowly exhaled, his blue eyes narrowing in on the strange woman. He figured he might as well get down to business, as there was no need in drawing this out any longer than he had to.

"Duo Maxwell, huh?", he began, a smirk taking his lips, "I didn't know he had any skeletons in his closet. How much do you want?"

"No money will be gained from this.", Dorothy told him, and Zechs frowned.

That was suspicious to him. Who gave tabloid material to a journalist without a price attached to it? It made him wonder just who the hell was really behind this and just what the hell they had on the braided celebrity.

"You don't want any money?", he asked, just to be sure.

Dorothy shook her head to answer his question, and his eyes narrowed suspiciously. What the hell was going on?

"Then what do you want?", he asked, taking a drag from his cigarette.

"Just confirmation that what I give you will be on the front page of your magazine."

Really? That was it? Zechs paused to think it over, smoke blowing from slightly parted lips as he leaned back further in his chair. There was a chance that whatever Dorothy had for him would be worth front page material. Hell, anything about Hollywood's fastest rising star would be worth the front page. However, he was a man who liked to make sure, so he couldn't promise her anything. . . yet.

"That depends.", he told her, flicking ash from his cigarette into an ashtray, "What do you have for me?"

"You know of Duo Maxwell's relationship with Relena Dorian?", she quizzed him, and Zechs gave a low laugh.

"Who doesn't?", he countered with a question of his own, "What? They getting hitched?"

"An affair."

The two words peaked his interest and his grin grew wider as he sat up, willing to hear more.

"Duo Maxwell is cheating on Relena Dorian?"

It was confirmed with a nod, and he couldn't help the chuckle that escaped his lips. This was something new and he had to admit, would be worth printing. However, he had had enough with cheating celebrities. He needed something new; something that would catch the public's eye.

"That's some good shit.", he told her, taking a drag from his cigarette and releasing it with his next words, "Though I'm not sure that I want to delve into that. Duo Maxwell having another woman? Who can blame the guy? I hear that Relena Dorian is a handful."

He didn't miss the angry tensing of Dorothy's muscles, but he brushed it off, ignoring when forked brows knotted together in a frown. He stood from his desk, ready to begin leading her out, but was stopped by the next few words that left Dorothy's mouth.

"It's another man."

His cigarette dropped from between his lips, where he had only just rested it, as he stared at Dorothy in utter disbelief. Duo Maxwell was cheating on Relena Dorian with another. . . man?

"You've got to shittin' me.", Zechs murmured, not sure if he should believe it or not.

"I assure you, Mr. Marquise, that everything I've told you is certified information. I'm not here to waste your time, or mine for that matter. Now are you willing to take this lead or shall I take my information elsewhere?"

Dorothy's voice sounded impatient, and Zechs figured he had better think it over quickly. News like this rarely came around, and it would be a hell of a loss if he let it go. However, there was the chance that Ms. Catalonia was shoveling a load of shit in his face. That would mar his record for having the real story, and he could probably kiss his career goodbye. Then again, who would pass up an opportunity like this? It wasn't everyday that you learned that a celebrity preferred the same sex. Though he was sure there were probably quite a few in-the-closet stars.

"I can't promise you the front page just yet.", he finally answered, picking up his dropped cigarette and stubbing it out, "I have to do some research first, of course. If everything turns out like you said, then and only then, do you get the front page."

"Agreed.", Dorothy said with a nod.

She stood from her chair, her hand reaching out for Zechs' and the man took it reluctantly. He ignored the fact that he felt his knuckles grind together as they shook hands, and offered the monotone woman a smile.

"It was a pleasure doing business with you.", she said, but Zechs wasn't sure if she meant it.

"Oh, no.", he objected, following her to the door, "The pleasure was all mine."

He opened the door for her, and she looked to him with sharp, cold blue eyes.

"I'll contact you in twenty one days.", she announced, before turning to leave, "I'll be expecting your final decision then."

Now he had a deadline? Hell, it didn't matter, he was used to those already.

"No problem.", he told her, watching her leave, "I'll have my answer by then."

He closed the door when she was gone and breathed a sigh of relief as he was left alone. That woman had made him feel oddly uncomfortable. He wasn't looking forward to ever meeting with her again, and hoped that when she contacted him that it wasn't in person.

He returned to his desk, finding a another cigarette and lighting it. He leaned back in his chair, his eyes looking out past the blinds of his window to the California skyline and contemplated what he had just been told. Who would have thought that Duo Maxwell had his own secrets? Exhaling a long chain a smoke, Zechs finished with a grin taking his lips, as he now felt quite content.

Duo Maxwell was cheating with another man. It would be the story of a lifetime.

------------------------------

Wufei stood behind the counter at the bookstore, aware of his boss' eyes that were glaring daggers at him, watching as he checked out the few customers that were left. He wondered why the man hadn't fired him as of yet. After all he'd done, he thought that his job here was pretty much over, but he was wrong.

He glanced back at the clock that hung on the wall above the counter, and he sighed. At least the place was closed, and he had just finished their last transaction for the evening, but he would be here for another hour at least. He had to straighten up the store and lock up, since he had been given the task. It was no longer asked, but was expected of him. He supposed that this was Perry's way of getting back at him for all the last minute leaves and sick days.

"Hey Fei, when you getting out of here?"

He turned to find Valarie now beside him, taking out the cash box from the register she had been working at, and he followed her example.

"Not soon enough.", he muttered, his eyes glancing to where his boss still stood glaring at him.

"Wow.", he heard Valarie laugh, "What did you do to piss him off?"

"Everything I could think of.", Wufei snorted, taking the lead to heading back to the counting room, "And I still have I job here, no matter how hard I try."

Valarie was laughing and Wufei merely smirked, surprised that he was actually conversing with her. It wasn't too long ago that he thought the girl a nuisance. She was still annoying, but he tolerated her a bit more than he had before. Come to think of it, he tolerated a lot more things lately.

Such as Quatre's obsession with the world of Hollywood. Hell, he would now find himself distracted from his reading as he sat on his friends' couch, engrossed in the latest story of Entertainment Tonight. He hoped it didn't turn into a habit, as he really didn't want to give up on reading.

Especially since he had just recently received two new editions to his book collection, courtesy of one Duo Maxwell. The two books were in Mandarin again; Nicholas Nickleby and the Karma Sutra. The latter of the two had Duo laughing at him as Wufei couldn't help his flustered reaction to the gift. Wufei sighed in exaspeartion at the memory. He didn't know why he put up with the braided star sometimes. Then again, he hadn't exactly given the book back.

He wouldn't admit it outloud, but he had found himself interested and actually reading the book. He blushed as he thought of how he had even considered trying a few things out. He was sure Duo wouldn't hesitate to agree.

"Who are you thinking about that's got you this worked up?", Valarie was questioning him, as they finally reached the room.

Wufei snapped out of his thoughts and looked to the young woman who was giving him a knowing smile.

"I knew you were finally getting some action!", the girl exclaimed with a laugh, Wufei spluttering, "Is it the cute guy with the green eyes you're always with?"

Wufei's spluttering finally ceased, and he glared at his bold and obviously nosy co-worker.

"No, it's not him.", he had no idea why he was humoring her, "He has a boyfriend."

"Damn, and here I wanted to try my hand at him."

Wufei rolled his eyes at her words, letting himself be occupied with counting the money that he had accumulated during the course of the day. If he was even one penny short, Perry would be on his ass and he'd never hear the end of it.

"Well, whoever you're with, you seem happy.", Valarie told him, taking his example and counting her cashbox as well, "I'm glad for for you."

He looked to her a bit astonished and unsure of what to say to that. Valarie turned to smile at him and he returned it.

"Thank you.", he finally said, returning to their work.

They finished fast enough, and Wufei was offered help with closing up. He wasn't stupid, and he accepted the help eagerly. He didn't want to stay here any longer than he had to, though he really had nothing else to do later. Duo had called and canceled his trip out here, again. It was the fourth time that this had happened, and Wufei tried his best to not think too much into it.

Duo was a busy man; a celebrity. There were things much more important than the man flying all the way out here to see him. He had gotten used to it however, and now that Duo was frequently canceling at the last minute, it did have him feeling a tad disappointed. He found himself moping sometimes, which he was never really prone to doing before, at least not until he had met Duo Maxwell. That man had no idea what he had done and was still doing to Wufei.

"I'll see you tomorrow."

At Valarie's words, Wufei looked up from where he was now locking the doors behind him, waving his goodbye as the woman headed for the nearest subway station. When his task was done, he was ready to take his co-worker's example, but he was stopped by the sudden beep of a car.

He looked behind him, surprised to find Trowa standing beside a taxi. It had been awhile since his friend had come to meet him after work. With Trowa's own job keeping him in the office late, Wufei had gotten used to meeting his friend at his apartment.

"You need a lift?", Trowa asked him with a smile.

Wufei tried to return it as he stepped forward, but it faltered. It didn't go unnoticed and Trowa reached out to brush away a strand of hair that had fallen free.

"You okay?", Trowa tried to find out.

Wufei only shrugged. There really wasn't anything Trowa could do about his mood. He couldn't exactly explain why he was feeling a bit down.

"Come on.", Trowa coaxed him, letting Wufei climb in to the taxi first, "Let's head out of here. Then we can talk."

Wufei didn't object and he rather didn't mind the prospect of having company.

------------------------------

It didn't take them long to reach Wufei's apartment building, which had the shorter man confused and questioning Trowa. They were usually by his friend's place, since Wufei would admit the banged man had better accomodations, and a fridge that was restocked regularly.

"Sisters.", was the single worded explanation that Trowa gave him.

He didn't need any thing else, he was satisfied enough with that. Besides, he knew enough from Trowa's past tales, that "sisters" usually meant Quatre's. They liked to visit at least three at a time, and the blond young man had a lot of them. They also seemed to have not take a liking to Trowa, so the banged man would do his best to stear clear of them when they came to visit.

"I take it you'll be spending the night?", Wufei questioned him as they stepped onto the elevator.

Trowa was then holding up a small travel bag, that Wufei had failed to notice earlier, confirming the Chinese man's suspicion. Wufei only sighed, reaching out to press the button for his floor.

"Well, you're welcome to stay as long as you want.", Wufei told him, burying his hand in his pockets with his task done, "Just know that I'm not prepared for company."

With that said, Trowa held up another bag, this one filled with groceries. Wufei stiffened, glaring at his friend in suspicion.

"Where the hell are you hiding those thing?", he asked rather loudly.

Trowa merely shrugged, stepping forward as the elevator dinged, announcing that they had reached their desired floor.

"You just havn't been paying attention.", was all he said, walking out the doors as they opened, "I think you're distracted. We'll talk about this after dinner, and there will be no backing out of this."

Wufei only sulked, closing his mouth as he had opened it to object. He couldn't figure out just how Trowa did it, but he always knew what Wufei was feeling, no matter if he tried to hide it or not. Knowing that he couldn't really avoid it, Wufei followed after Trowa.

Fifteen minutes later, they were plopped down on the couch, tv dinners sitting in their laps, as they watched a late night movie special. Wufei briefly glared down at his half eaten meatloaf, before he returned to the tv. Trowa's grocery had mostly been snack foods and soda; that and the two tv dinners.

He sighed, leaning back into the couch and reaching for the bowl of popcorn that sat idily in Trowa's lap. His friend held a bored expression as they watched the horribly made Dracula movie, and the only way Wufei knew he was still alive was the occasional blink.

"Is it just me, or is this the most boring sleep over you've ever been to?"

Wufei's question got what he was looking for and Trowa turned his attention to him, green eyes blinking as if to slowly draw him back to social consciousness. It took another minute or two for a smirk to break out over the man's lips, his arm wrapping about Wufei's shoulder.

"You haven't spent a night with Quatre and his sisters."

Wufei cringed, a shiver crawling down his spine at just the thought. Trowa did have a point.

"Now that we're conversing, how about you tell me what's got you so down?"

Wufei looked back up at Trowa's face, catching the look that meant the man was serious, and there was no avoiding it. He looked away, leaning his head against Trowa's shoulder and sighed wearily.

"Nothing.", he tried to avoid it any way.

"Is it always a struggle with you?", Trowa asked, his voice slightly exasperated, "It's like I have to actually argue you down just to know how you're feeling."

"Trowa!", he was whining but he didn't care.

He buried his face in his friend's shoulder with a groan, knowing that he had to avoid an actual argument at all cost, and not recognizing his own behavior. He had gotten used to cuddling, and with his dampened spirits, it was just something that he wanted to do.

"No, don't you even start that.", Trowa warned, gently prying them apart, "I want you to talk to me."

"But-"

"Now, Fei!"

The stern voice shocked him and Wufei stiffened for a moment, which quickly turned to a sulk. Why was Trowa so persistant? It reminded him of Duo, who happened to be the last person he wanted to be remined of at this point in time.

"I'm just. . . not in a good mood.", he offered, his words mumbled.

"I know that, Fei. I blind man could tell.", Trowa worded with a scoff, "What I want to know is, why?"

"Why else?", Wufei questioned back, his mood now worse.

Damn it. He hated being in love.

Trowa was silent for a few moments, his green eyes studying his friend intently, as Wufei sulked even more. It really didn't take a genius to figure out what was wrong, but Trowa liked to hear the words from Wufei's own mouth. Though, he knew that was as close as he would probably get to Wufei confessing anything.

"You idiot.", his voice was gentle, and it was said with a soft smile, "You really are in love."

Wufei didn't resist as he was pulled into a hug, knowing it was his friend trying to comfort him and lift his spirits. Though how the taller man thought insulting him would help out, he had yet to figure out.

"He canceled.", the words left his mouth before they could stop them.

"I'm sure he has a reason.", Trowa offered him, "There's always next weekend."

"He won't be anywhere near New York next weekend.", Wufei's words were mumbled, as he had taken to burying his face in Trowa's shirt again.

"Oh. You never told me that it was long distance."

"Yeah, well now you know."

The two fell silent, the background sounds of the tv the only sound in the small living room. Trowa's eyes stared at nothing in particular, his face frowning in thought and Wufei merely gave a deep sigh as his arms wrapped around his friend.

"I miss him."

It pulled Trowa from his thoughts and he smiled down at his friend, who now held a childish pout. He couldn't believe it himself that he was able to figure Wufei out so easily. The man could be so unpredictable at times.

"You should.", was his response, causing Wufei to look up at him, "I'd be worried if you didn't."

Wufei smiled his thanks and appreciation, before he was resting his head against Trowa's shoulder once again. He rolled his eyes once he finally realized how he and his best friend had assituated themselves.

"No wonder Quatre's suspicious of us.", he muttered, feeling Trowa's chest rumble with his low laugh, "We're acting sappier than you and your boyfriend when you two are alone; or at least think that you're alone."

"You're the one who's all clingy and mope- Ow!", he was cut short at the sharp pain in his shoulder, "Did you just bite me?"

"You will never speak of this outloud or I'll actually break skin next time.", Wufei warned, pulling free from his friend to stand with a stretch, "I'm going to the bathroom, find something better to watch while I'm gone. If I watch one more minute of this, I'll actually consider stopping in on Quatre and his sisters."

Trowa only snorted, knowing that it would come to no such thing. Wufei had met one of Quatre's sister's and one had been enough. His hand reached for the remote that sat next him, even as he watched Wufei disappear down the short hallway and into the bathroom.

He had to admit that he was quiet content. It may not have been much, but Wufei had actually talked to him about his relationship. One that he tried so hard to keep as private as possible. He did wish he knew just exactly who Wufei was dating, but he had a feeling that he wouldn't be meeting the guy face to face yet; or ever, for that matter. He'd make it his mission to find out sooner or later.

He sighed as he leaned back into the chair, channel surfing for something worth watching and lazily eating the popcorn that still sat on his lap. As he stopped to watch disinterestedly at an infomercial, Trowa felt something vibrate beside him, followed by a ringtone. He looked down to find Wufei's cellphone, and his eyebrow rose in interest at the caller i.d.

"D. M.?", he questioned, picking the phone up in his hand, "Who's D.M.?"

The phone stopped after a few moments and Trowa waited patiently, and soon enough something came. He had expected an alert for a voice mail, but it was a text message. He felt guilty for what he was about to do, but it wasn't like he had to open the message, since it was already displayed on the screen.

With a quick glance to the bathroom, and no sight of Wufei just yet, Trowa turned back to the phone. Green eyes scanned over the message, but not being able to get past the first line. He was interrupted by the sound of the bathroom door opening and he carefully replaced the phone where it had been resting, making it seem as if he had been watching the tv all along.

"Did you find anything good?", Wufei asked him, as he polpped back beside him.

Trowa merely shook his head, his eyes never looking to his friend, and attached to the tv. He saw, from the side of his eye, Wufei lifting his phone, and he waited to see what would happen.

"My cellphone rang?", the sloe-eyed man questioned, "And I got a text message."

Trowa only made a sound of confirmation.

"Did you see who called?"

He caught the tone in Wufei's voice, but couldn't decipher what it was.

"I didn't check.", he said with a shrug, "Besides, why would I need to know who's calling you? I'm not that nosy."

Wufei only studied his friend for a moment longer, before he was glancing back down at his phone to erase the message that he had received and send a reply. He could consider that a close one, as he had no idea how to explain things if Trowa had been curious. With a small sigh of relief, he joined Trowa and leaned back into the couch, his dark eyes looking at the tv as well.

Trowa felt as if he could ask his friend a few more questions, but he decided that it could wait. Besides, he now knew enough to at least figure things out on his own.

------------------------------

Duo sat bored out of his mind at some celebrity gathering. It was some sort of charity, he didn't remember what it was for, but Relena had dragged him. He probably would have been able to talk his way out of it, but Sally had come to Relena's defense. She argued that if Duo was seen here, it would give him publicity that he needed, and that it would be stupid to pass it up.

He would have, if it wasn't for the threat of bodily harm that his agent screamed at him. Reluctantly, he came along, and now he was just bored. Not to mention, he was was feeling pretty crummy. This was probably the fourth time this month that he had had to cancel his plans with Wufei. This time when he had called Wufei with the bad news, he could easily hear the disappointment on his lover's voice, and it had made him feel even worse.

He had wanted to call back and apologize but Relena had been on his arm all night, and when he did get the chance to call his ebony-haired lover, Wufei hadn't answered. He hadn't responded to his text message either. He couldn't blame the man if he was upset with Duo; he had broken another promise.

There was a round of applause, and Duo looked up, realizing that Relena was done with her speech. They had all sat down for dinner and speeches, Duo taking his chance to text Wufei when the woman had gone on stage. He joined in with the surrounding audience, clapping for a speech he hadn't even paid attention to, but knowing that he had no choice.

He stood as she made her way back to their table, as did everyone else, and was aware of the snapping camera's as he kissed her congratulations. It hurt him to think of what he was doing to her, pretending as if he was still in love with her and knowing it was only for the camera's sake.

Their kiss ended so that they could give in to resquests and pose for those few photographers that asked them to. The more people stared at them, was the more Duo's stomach tightened and he had the urge to just leave and go home. He had rather be anywhere else but here at the moment. When things died down, and the camera's stopped flashing, he turned to Relena who was already seated.

"I'll be right back.", he quickly told her, ready to run off.

He was stopped by the grip on his wrist, his face frowning a bit as he found that it was somewhat tighter than usual.

"Where are you going, honey?", Relena sweetly asked him, her eyes looking up at him in innocent curiousity.

"I just need some air.", he explained, gently pulling his wrist free.

"I'll come with you.", Relena insisted, ready to stand.

A firm, yet gentle hand on her shoulder kept her seated, and violet eyes looked down at her. The message was conveyed, no room for argument, as Duo smiled down at her; he wanted to be alone.

"I'll just be right outside, baby.", he assured her, keeping his voice at a decent tone, since they were sharing a table with others, "All I need is five minutes, then I'll come back and we can have a dance."

He wasn't sure what it was he saw flicker in the deep blue pools of Relena's eyes, but it caused him a moment of absolute uneasiness, which he quickly chose to ignore.

"Okay, Duo.", Relena finally gave in, "I'll wait right here."

With a nod, and excusing himself to others that sat with them, Duo set off for the open and thankfully empty balcony. Though he made a short stop at the bar on his way there. With his drink in hand, he made his way outside, unaware of the blue eyes that watched him go.

As he took to leaning on the railing of the balcony, Duo downed his drink in one gulp, grimicing at the horrible taste and the burn that followed it. He didn't know what to do. His mind was wracked with way too many thoughts, and the most thought about was Wufei; Relena followed closely behind.

He had been thinking, when he had the spare time to enjoy such a luxary, about where he was. At the moment, he was happy and in love. Wufei had been, and still was, the best thing that had happened to him. And, they were dating. It was something that the Chinese man had refused at first, but had given in to eventually. However, Duo had his rocky days.

Even with Wufei having agreed to a private relationship with the braided star, he was still touchy on just that fact. What they had was meant for them and them alone. If any one outside of their little circle, which had only Heero and Sally as the other people to know, found out about them. . . Duo had no idea what to think after that.

He had promised Wufei that he would end his relationship with Relena, but he found that he couldn't. At least, he couldn't do it just yet. An awards show was coming up in a couple of months, a people's choice awards, and Sally had warned him that if he ended it now, it would do him harm. He would be fingered as the heartbreaker and that left Relena as the poor victim; meaning if he wanted the public's favor, he'd have to stick with Relena for a while longer.

However, Wufei was getting a bit impatient. He could easily tell, though Wufei rarely worded it. If the way he reacted to anything Duo said about Relena wasn't enough, than the easily read emotions he tried to hide counted as even more proof. Hell, he had wanted to see Wufei this weekend so that he could talk about this further, but fate was obviously against him.

His phone alerted him to an in coming test message and looked down at it, a smile taking his face as he read it.

"I miss you, too.", he said out loud.

It would seem that Wufei knew just when to contact him. He was still down in the dumps, but knowing that Wufei was thinking of him helped a bit. He didn't know that he was no longer alone until his new found company spoke to him.

"Duo Maxwell, am I right?"

He looked over his shoulder at his name, and found a new face smiling back at him. He stood dressed in a black tux, his long, blond hair blowing in the slight breeze and blue eyes narrowed in a way that made Duo become defensive.

"That's right.", he answered, turning to fully face him, "And you are?"

The man flashed him a smile and moved forward with his hand outstretched. Duo took it, forcing himself to return the smile as well.

"Zechs Marquise."

Ah, that's why Duo knew to be cautious, before him was the last man he wanted to be alone with.

"Top journalist for the country's biggest tabloid.", Duo put in, their handshake ending, "To what do I owe the honor of your attention?"

"Suprisingly, I'm not here to squeeze information out of you.", Zechs told him with a laugh, pulling out a box of cigarettes, "I came out here for a smoke. That and a break from all the ass kissing. My running into you was pure luck."

Duo laughed himself, declining as Zechs offered him a cigarette and not believing that this was mere coincidence.

"Yeah, well even if it is coincidence, I don't have anything worth telling."

"Really?", Zechs asked intrigued, cigarette now lit, "There's alot of rumor going around about you."

Duo was hit with a short bout of panic, but he hid it well enough, turning back to the man who smoked casually as he leaned against the railing.

"You believe everything you hear?", the actor was asking.

Zechs only shrugged, slowly blowing smoke so that it danced in the dim lighting of the balcony.

"Personally, I don't believe anything until I see it.", he admitted, turning to Duo with another smile, "Or until I learn that it's true from a reliable source."

He took another drag, exhaling the smoke with his next sentence, as he turned to face the violet-eyed actor.

"Rumor has it you and Relena are having a rough patch."

"I'm sure many of couples have had their moments.", Duo easily said, trying his best to think of a way out of this conversation.

"Then I can assume rumor is true.", it would have been a question, if Zechs' voice hadn't sounded so sure.

Duo only gave a low laugh, though he was no where near amused. Now was not the time that he wanted to deal with a journalist. He had enough on his plate already. His phone beeped, and he looked down to find another message from Wufei. He was half way through his reply when he heard Zechs questioning him again.

"Anyone in particular?"

Violet eyes, devoid of any more feigned politeness, looked coldly up at the blond haired man. He didn't seem at all affected by the look as he only stood there, calmly smoking his cigarette, while waiting for an answer.

"No one of particular interest to you.", Duo answered, snapping his phone closed, "Excuse me, Mr. Marquise. I'm sorry to cut this short, but I promised my girl a dance."

"By all means, don't let me stop you.", Zechs said with a gesture to shoo Duo off, "I wouldn't want you to keep her waiting."

He watched as Duo left without so much of a goodbye, and he couldn't help the grin that had spread across his lips. Duo Maxwell was definately hiding something. He had recognized the tatic of defense as soon as the actor had opened his mouth to speak. This was going to be worth looking into. All he needed was some proof, and as soon as he got that, then he had his best story yet.

A laugh escaped him as he thought it over, dropping the short stub that now remained of his cigarette and stubbing it out with his shoe. This was going to be fun.

T.B.C.

Yes, Zechs is a bad guy in this story, but I couldn't help myself. Who else but sexy Zechsy? Anyway, I know there was a lot of fluff betwixt and between Tro and Wu, but it's all good. Wufei and Duo fluff shall soon follow! Can we all tell that this story's soon to come to a climax and then a conclusion? I'm sure we can, but it's best not to think about it. I'm not sure about this chapter, I was writing through some major blockage, but I hope I did it well enough. Tell me what you think, cause I really want to know, and I will see you all next time! Thanks and buh-bye!