Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Butterfly: Black Wings ❯ Chapter Three ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Butterfly: Black Wings

By: Banshee Puppet

Chapter Three: Stillborn

Sally frowned into the mirror, pulling the icepack away from her eye to get a look at the black and blue there. She touched it extra carefully, winced, sighed, and put the ice back on the tender flesh beside her right eye. With two engines out of commission, it had been a rough flight back and she'd fallen into a very unhappy corner, given herself a black eye and a badly bruised knee. She took her cane with a frown and limped down the hall. There was no time for being injured now, they had to get Wufei back. That's what she intended to tell Lady Une when she made it to the meeting in the female Director's office. But she'd never get to that, as she was rather surprised at who she found standing in the center of the room, wearing a Preventer's uniform, with a manila file open in hand. At the sound of the door, he silently looked up at her.

"Trowa?!?"

The young man gave her a his customary curt 'hello' nod and returned to the file.

Lady Une stood and gestured Sally to a seat. "I've called you here out of courtesy, Sally," she said. "Trowa will be taking our place on this mission."

Sally looked to Trowa for confirmation and the young man said frankly, "since you've been injured."

"But Trowa, is that really okay? Doesn't Quatre need you?"

"It's fine. Quatre needs company: anyone will do," Trowa replied. "And Quatre hasn't been taken hostage by a terrorist."

"Neither has Wufei in the strictest manner of speaking," Une said. "For it to be a hostage situation, there have to be demands for the hostage's release. So for all intents of purposes, Wufei is either a kidnapee, or a prisoner."

"Lin Pao hasn't made any demands?"

"We haven't been able to communicate with him since the incident, as if..."

"...kidnapping Wufei was his goal all along."

"But what about the satellite and..." Sally began.

"It's a reverse Operation Meteor," Trowa said.

"We're calling it 'Operation Black Hole' for the time being," Une clarified. "Almost two centuries ago, when the colonies were first built, the stability of the nuclear core was in question. The people at that time had bad memories of what Nuclear power could do if used incorrectly and were hesitant to take chances with that sort of power. The memory of the first Atomic Bombs is something that lays heavy on the hearts of this world and it's people, even now, but then-well, people were afraid. Power was measured by man's ability to destroy and peace was held tentatively on the shoulders of men who could destroy half of the Earth with he push of a single button. Because of this, when the nuclear core was proposed for the colonies, a massive explosion in outer space was the first thought in the minds of many men. A big enough explosion would cause a black hole, and many colonies were already under construction. As such, the government of the then called United Nation decided upon a failsafe mechanism to be installed into each colony. This mechanism would destroy the colonies and contain their nuclear cores before any serious damage could be done. Due to the way the colonies were linked then, an explosion in one would trigger the same in the next, so it was decided to make one system capable of decimating them all. The remnants of that outdated system are on satellite repair station K-04, a long-since remodeled nuclear facility. What the human race didn't realize at that time was that a chain explosion of the caliber that would be necessary to destroy so many colonies would invariably create a black hole large enough and strong enough to suck in not only the Earth, but even the very sun. Each colony was assigned a seven digit command. We have reason to believe that..."

"Wufei's cousin is heading to L-5 airspace to look for the nuclear core. The containment unit will have the key command on it," a man's voice said from the doorway.

"Zechs!" Sally exclaimed, confused. She thought he was working on Relena's terra-forming project.

"Thank you for coming, Wind," Lady Une said rather professionally.

"It's been quite a while Sally," the blonde man said in greeting. Then to Une, "I came as soon as I heard." He looked like he'd traveled without sleep for at least a day and a half. His platinum hair was bound back into a low, loose ponytail with the bangs falling in his eyes and he had a pale five o'clock shadow.

"You aren't rested," Trowa commented. It seemed obvious to the blonde that what the brunette really meant was 'in this condition, you'll only be a hindrance.'

"I'll rest on the way," Zech replied. "When someone like that tempramental dragon goes and gets himself captured, it's obvious that there's a lot of work to do."

"Right. That's why I'm sending both of you. Millions of people's lives are in your hands, gentlemen; I'm counting on you. I'm leaving a radio with Sally, so you will be able to contact her at any time should it be necessary. We'll also be expecting regular progress reports. Water is cleared for all Information regarding this mission. Wind, Lion, you're dismissed. I leave it in your hands."

"Ma'am!" they both stated automatically, saluting before leaving the room.

"He's in good hands, Sally. Are you more at ease now?" Une asked with a gentle smile.

"Thank you. He's so reckless that I can't help but worry."

"And yet, you're the one who brought him back to the Preventers. I admit, you confuse me sometimes, my friend."

Sally sighed, slouching a bit in her chair. "It's because that guy is restless. Without a sense of purpose, he'll never be happy. It wouldn't be long before he'd start to resent that girl for keeping him somewhere that doesn't suit him."

Une raised an eyebrow. Did Sally really just mention Wufei Chang and a woman in the same sentence? Sally chuckled at the other woman's surprised eyes. "That's right, our little Wufei has finally grown up and fallen in love," she said. "Funny, isn't it?"

"Well, it certainly did take him long enough."

*#*

When Catherine came downstairs into the kitchen, Quatre was groggily nodding over a cup of tea.

"Good morning," she said, smiling when the boy jumped slightly.

"Ah. Good morning," Quatre answered sheepishly. "I'm sorry. I was up most of the night."

"Work?" Catherine asked, pouring a cup of cold coffee before sitting across from the petite blonde.

"Something like that."

"Is Trowa still asleep? That's unusual," she said conversationally, cringing slightly at how cold and stale the coffee tasted.

"Uh, no, he left in the middle of the night."

"What? Why?"

"He asked me to apologize," Quatre clarified quickly. "Lady Une called and asked for his help on a fairly urgent job."

Lady Une: she was the Director of the Preventers-those damn Preventers. Oh, in theory, they were the good guys, but Catherine knew, she just knew that it was the Preventers who had stolen Wufei from her, so she was still a bit bitter about it. 'Why is it always fighting and war? I just wanted to live a peaceful life. After my parents died, I just wanted...' She rested her head in her hands a moment to collect her thoughts. "Ooo....that guy! He could have at least woken me up to tell me that he was leaving!" she demanded, punching the table. "They're both jerks! Him and that stupid, arrogant, sarcastic prick Wufei!" she huffed much like a small child throwing a tantrum.

Quatre blined. 'What?' "Uhm, Cathy, what does Wufei have to do with anything?" he asked cautiously.

"It's because he said he was in love with me, that asshole!" she demanded, then clapped her hands over her mouth. "That is, um, I mean...I didn't mean to say that," she admitted. "It's just that when I get mad I don't know what I'm saying."

"You...love Wufei?!?" Quatre was baffled. He didn't even know the woman knew the purported 'solitary dragon'. He himself hadn't even seen the Chinese Pilot in over a year.

"Don't tell Trowa," she said. "He'll be angry with Wufei, and I don't want friends fighting because of me."

Quatre nodded. 'So Catherine loves Wufei, and he's admitted to the same before running off with the Preventers. That's sort of typical of him. It's what you'd imagine he'd do if he ever...geez, Wufei in love. It just seems way too crazy to be true, and of all the people to...You'd think someone like Sally, or Lady Une, but I guess love isn't logical at all, that's why...and now he's gone and gotten himself kidnapped by some terrorist...

Should I tell her? She'll just worry but, as the person closes to Wufei...she's the person who loves him most, so...argh! I'm terrible at making these sort of decisions!' he thought, giving himself a headache.

"Quatre?" she asked, seeing the strained expression creasing his brow.

"Wufei's been kidnapped by a psychotic terrorist who wants to blow up the world'!" he blurted out in one long breath. Tehre was a hesitation. "Uh..." 'Did I just say that out loud?' he wondered.

"He what?!!?!" Catherine demanded, standing.

'Yup. Guess I did,' he thought. "Uh...yeah, that's where Trowa went. To, you know, get him back. I offered to come but...he..." Quatre pouted. "He said I'm too busy here, so..." he cut himself off, sighing heavily. He hated feeling like he wasn't needed.

Catherine stood, acting on impulse and dragged the blonde to his feet. "Come on. Hurry and get dressed."

"Where are we going?"

"To save those two idiots, of course! They'll do something stupid and reckless and get themselves killed if we don't!"

"Cathy..."

'I can't just sit here and do nothing if they're in trouble!' she thought.

Quatre's hand came to his heart as the woman turned away. 'Catherine, you really are completely in love beyond any hope of reprieve, aren't you?' he thought.

"Well, are you coming or not?" she asked, turning to find the Arabian still standing in the same spot in the kitchen. "Geez," she sighed. "Seriously, I'll go without you if you don't hurry you know," she informed him.

Quatre smiled a bit, coming out of his daze. "Y-yeah. Coming." 'You're right, of course. Those two, their idea of strategy is shoot and slash until either they can't get up anymore, or you're dead. So let's go save our very important friends,' Quatre thought as he ran to his room.

*#*

It was dark and therefore Wufei could only assume, quite late. He'd been left alone, though he figured the outer door to this storage compartment was guarded. The ride had been rough, jostling the crates and upturning them. S.R.S. were simply not designed for traveling at this kind of speed. K-04 would make it to L-5, probably, but it wouldn't survive the return voyage. Conveniently, Lin Pao didn't seem to have any intention of a return mission. Somewhat less conveniently, Wufei did. He'd been subtly struggling against his chains for hours and his muscles were sore, so when he heard a sudden CRACK he wasn't as prepared as he would like to be and had to shift and fall onto his left side to avoid being crushed when the steel beam slammed downward, smashing many of the fallen crates and half-blocking the door. There wasn't time to think about his exhaustion or his pain. He pulled at every muscle in his body to get away from the chain that bound him to the pole. In the end, he had to shimmy down the poll, letting the chain dangle from the still bound cuffs on his wrists. The door jammed against the steel, then with a struggle, slammed open. Wufei leapt over the poll and, perhaps a fraction slower than usual, swung a side kick up at the person he found there only to stop suddenly at the shotgun leveled at his head, safety already released.

It was that young girl again, wearing a merciless look in her eyes in those first moments before surprise set in. "Are you really so determined to stop us? But why? The Gundams have always fought for peace."

"I have never fought for peace," Wufei retorted, lowering his leg slowly so she didn't think he was trying something. Getting shot was not in his agenda for the day if he could help it. The side kick was already useless now that he'd stopped anyway, his momentum and energy totally sapped. "And I am no longer a gundam pilot. I am a Preventer."

"I don't understand. Then why are you fighting?!"

"For justice," he said without even thinking about it. "And also, to protect."

"But can't you understand at all? To fight for peace is really beautiful, so..."

Wufei cut her off. "It's not even remotely beautiful, you idiot! Peace at the expense of millions of lives isn't peace, it's a massacre, and it's totally meaningless on top of that! Damn idiot!" Wufei was infuriated. Didn't she understand at least that much? "Don't you understand that revolution and war never bring peace? It's the people who survive after the war that bring peace."

"Like Vice Foreign Minister Darlain?"

Relena Darlain. She was a woman he couldn't particularly understand or relate to, but she was also a woman that he'd grown to respect. "Yes," he answered. "Exactly like that silly woman."

The girl was silent for a long few moments. Softly then, with a resignation in it that she could hardly bear, she said, "Lin Pao isn't a man who's capable of attaining true peace, no matter how much held like to be, is he?"

"No more than I am."

From beyond the door a scruffy voice could be heard:

"Naone, what's going on?"

The girl looked over her shoulder and said, "Nothing Ro, those damn crates knocking around again is all."

Wufei let out a breath he didn't know he'd been holding as the girl turned back to him, a dire expression on her features.

'What is it?' he wondered.

"Three years ago, I was nearly raped. Lin Pao shot my attacker at the last moment and saved me. It was at that time that I swore I'd dedicate my life to him. So, this is all that I can do for you now." She held out the shotgun for him to take. "Next time we see each other, we'll definitely be enemies, so hit me as hard as you can."

Wufei took the gun and slammed it into her stomach hard, despite the awkward positioning with the cuffs still behind his back. Keeling over, she whispered, "Lin... ... ... ... sor-ry," before a red flash of pain pulled her from consciousness.

Wufei looked down at the girl for a long moment. 'Because she...' he didn't bother finishing the thought, instead sighing as if the entire affair was totally cumbersome. He grabbed the pouch of extra bullets at her hip and shoved it awkwardly into his pocket after maneuvering (thanks to martial arts giving him impressive flexibility) so that the cuffs and chain were in front of him. No keys on her either-damn. Well, he was willing to take small victories for now. He moved to the door and peeked outside. No one there. Good. 'Naone, thank you,' he thought before heading from the room. 'The control room. If we never reach L-5, then...'

*#*

"Looks like we've made it early to the party," Ro said, flipping amber bangs from equally amber eyes.

"Looks like a grave," Lin Pao said, frowning at the wreckage. He didn't think it would be so painful to see the former glory of L-5 reduced to this. He hadn't been home in years, ever since...no, he decided, he wasn't going to think of that, of her.

"It's not a grave," the woman's honey voice said from behind him. She walked up to his side, her long blonde hair bound back into an elegant braid. "It's a womb."

"Yeah," Lin replied. "You're right, Dorothy, as always. Well, let's get to work."

~End Chapter Three~