Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Caged Doves ❯ A Gilded Cage ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hiya! Here I am again with another GW fic. For those who aren't familiar with my work, I write a lot of GW. Anyway, this one is centered around the normal group of characters but mostly Heero and Relena. I do a lot of yaoi but decided to try a 'normal' story. ;)
Anyway, Normal Disclaimers Apply: I don't own Gundam Wing or any of it's characters. I just abuse them a little and send them back a little worse for wear. I DO however own the storyline. Not that that really matters. And please, don't try to sue me. The only things you'll get are the dirt and dustbunnies under my bed as that's about all I own.
<><><><><><><><>& lt;><><><><><><><><>< ><><><><><><><><><> ;<><><><>
Chapter 1: A Gilded Cage
<><><><><><><><>& lt;><><><><><><><><>< ><><><><><><><><><> ;<><><><>
 
 
/beep...Beep...BEEP...BEEP...BEEP...BEEP../ *Smack*
 
Relena sighed as she opened bleary eyes to look at the alarm. 6a.m. She groaned as she closed her eyes.
 
"No one should have to get out of bed this early. Especially after the ball last night," she groused to herself. "Maybe I can catch a few more winks..."
 
Just then there was a knock on her door, followed quickly by the light coming on and Loni's cheerful voice assaulting her still half-asleep ears.
 
"G'morning, Miss 'Lena! Time to rise and shine! Weatherman says it's gonna be a glorious morning."
 
Relena just groaned and pulled the blanket up over her head. Loni, short for Alonia, was the housekeeper that came with the house, literally. She was in her sixties, looked like she was in her forties and acted like she was in her twenties. She was sweet and sassy, always asking Relena about the guys at work and offering to hook her up with young guys she knew. She was also wise and compassionate and always willing to lend some advice or just a shoulder to lean on if it was needed.
 
At first Relena had been hesitant to buy a house that came with it's own staff, but Loni had proven over and again that Relena had done the right thing by keeping her on. Loni had become something of an adorable older aunt that Relena just couldn't do without now. But as Loni pushed open the curtains to let the sunlight in, Relena could almost wonder about that. Almost. And when the blanket was pulled off of her with a quick jerk and flung to the far side of the room, she seriously considered growling at the woman. Loni, however, just laughed.
 
"Git'cher butt up outta that bed, little missy. Ain't no one's fault you didn't get outta that party till 1a.m. this morning, but you still got a job to do today. So up and at 'em, Miss 'Lena!"
 
Relena finally sighed and sat up stretching.
 
Loni smiled and said, "As soon as you're ready, I'll have breakfast waiting in the kitchen." And then she left.
 
After a hot shower, Relena applied her typical make-up, which wasn't much, and dressed in a pale pink blouse and white knee length skirt with a matching blazer. The white dress boots and briefcase downstairs would finish the ensemble. Relena looked herself over in the full-length mirror on her door and sighed.
 
"Well, 'Lena, looks like you're ready for another day at the office. Let's knock 'em dead."
 
She walked downstairs where the smell of fresh cinnamon buns and hot coffee wafted to her from the kitchen. Her stomach growled as she entered the bright and cheery kitchen to find Loni adding the icing on the last of the hot buns. Loni laughed hearing Ralena's stomach even over her own humming.
 
"It looks like I'm right on time. But honestly, Loni, how do you expect me to lose any weight if you keep feeding me all this sweet stuff?" she asked as she slid onto one of the barstools at the small breakfast nook.
 
"Pshh, Nonsense! I don't know who put that bull in your head, Miss 'Lena, but you don't need to loose any weight. Look at ya'. You're so skinny I should be shoving three of these down you just to put some weight on you!" exclaimed Loni as she put a hot and sticky cinnamon bun in front of Relena along with a hot cup of coffee.
 
Relena just shook her head and took a bite out of the bun. "You worry too much, Loni. Mmmm, is this a new flavor?" she asked after taking a drink of the coffee. Loni smiled brightly.
 
"I thought you'd like it. It's Irish creme, and..." she placed a small container in front of Relena, "it comes in instant! So you can drink it at work instead of that crude oil they call coffee that they keep in the breakroom."
 
Relena smiled. "Thanks, Loni! You're the best! I don't know how Quatre drinks that stuff..." she trailed off shaking her head.
 
"It's probably the reason Mr. Winner is so cheerful in the mornings. One cup of that stuff could power a mobile suit for a week!" Both women laughed at the imagery conjured with that statement. After Relena finished her bun Loni offered her another but she declined saying, "Really, Loni, I can't. I've got to get going before I'm late. But if you want to pack any of those up, I'm sure people at the office would love them."
 
"Especially Mr. Maxwell," Loni laughed as she packed them up.
 
Relena smiled shaking her head. "I can already see it. He'll get a sugar high off of just one of these and drive Wufei to absolute distraction!"
 
Loni set a small basket on the table with the cinnamon buns and the instant coffee in it. "There you go, Miss 'Lena. Would you like me to take you to work this morning or are one of those good looking ex-pilots gonna come pick you up?"
 
"Well, I actually thought I'd walk today."
 
"What! Have you lost your mind, Miss 'Lena? There are all kinds of loonies out there, just waitin' to take advantage of a pretty lady like yourself! Nevermind, what you were and who you are now!"
 
Relena rolled her eyes. "You're starting to sound like Heero, Loni. Honestly, I'm almost 21 years old and it's been years since I was Queen. I'm not in nearly the danger I used to be. And it's only two blocks to the subway and one block from the subway to the Preventer office. I'll be fine."
 
"The Subway! You have lost your mind! I won't hear of it! And don't get me started on Mr. Yuy! The scoundrel was only good at two things: Protecting ya' and breakin' your heart! And then he disappeared and stopped doin' either one. And while I coulda' throttled him for the one, it's times like this I wish he were here to do the other. At least he could talk some sense into that thick head a' yours!"
 
"No, he just didn't give me a choice."
 
"Well, neither am I! You just wait right there, Miss 'Lena. I'll be ready in five minutes and then I'll take you to the office. No buts!" she cut Relena off even as she opened her mouth to protest. Finally Relena just shrugged and said, "Fine. Go get ready." She didn't look like she was thrilled, but she was acquiescing. "I'm sorry, Miss 'Lena. I just don't know what I'd do if anything would happen to you when I coulda' just as easily took care of you."
 
Relena patted Loni's hand and smiled reassuringly. "It's alright, Loni. I understand. Now go, or I'm gonna be late."
 
Loni smiled and toddled off toward the stairs and her room. But as soon as Relena heard her overhead, she got up and snuck to the front door, grabbing her shoes and briefcase, slipped out and quietly shut the door behind her. Once outside, Relena slipped on her boots and made a run for the subway. It was fun actually. She felt like a kid running away from home! She made it all the way to the subway station without incident. Although the looks she was getting from some of the older people on the platform told Relena how childish she was acting, for once she didn't care. She didn't see any real recognition on anyone's faces and she was having fun being on her own for once.
 
All in all, the trip to the platform closest to Preventer's HQ was nice if not downright boring. Relena got off at her platform and started up the steps to the street. Once on the street she joined the throngs of morning travelers walking the streets on their way to work. Relena waited at the crosswalk across the street from the ten-story building that was her destination.
 
'Almost there,' she thought to herself. 'And nothing happened, not even so much as a beggar asking for change. Humph.'
 
The sign changed to the little 'Walk' symbol and Relena joined the throng crossing the street. She was at the back of the crowd and barely made it to the other side before the light changed again. She turned to look back at the traffic and got a good feel for exactly how much was going on and how many people were still trying to get to work. There was a sea of faces and vehicles whizzing by her as fast as the law would allow.
 
'There are so many faces,' she thought as she turned back toward the Preventer's building. 'It would be a miracle if someone could even pick me out of the crowd.'
 
Just then Relena heard a vehicle screech to a stop behind her, the sound of a door sliding open and a couple pair of hands grabbing ahold of her and pulling her into said vehicle. But before she could do anything, a strong pair of arms pinned her down as someone else held a rag over her mouth and nose that took her breath away. She realized quickly that she was going to black out. Her last thought being of a certain Japanese Gundam pilot before the darkness consumed her.
 
<><><<>><><><><>& lt;><><><><><><><><>< ><><><><><><><><><> ;<><><>
Well, whatcha think?
Does it suck or do you like it?
Please Read and Review! Remember, Authors love reviews! And reviews = chapters!