Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Caged Doves ❯ The Hawk Takes Wing ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hiya! So here it is, Chapter 4, making it's grand entrance!(o.k., so maybe not so grand...) But it's here. So Enjoy!
 
Thank-You's to: Everyone who reads this! (The chapter counter shows you've been here.)
 
And this chapter is dedicated to: Betsheba, my cliffy-beast, for all her hard work! And if I EVER get any reviews for this story here, then I'll get to leave a REAL dedication. :)
 
Standard Disclaimers Apply: I don't own GW or any of it's characters. I just abuse them a little and return them a little worse for wear. I DO however own the storyline herein and any original characters I may add in.(Like Loni...) And please don't sue me. All you'll get is the dirt and dustbunnies that live under my bed as they're about all I own.
----------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------
Chapter 4: The Hawk Takes Wing
----------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------
Heero sighed as he picked up the last couple days worth of mail off the entryway floor. The few pieces looked like junk with the exception of a small padded envelope that felt like it contained a cassette. He slid it into his pocket as he entered the kitchen. He noted with amusement that Duo had seperated the mail into a few small boxes labelled with the year and importance, like: 'Bills, paid...199' and 'Junk...198' and the one he found the most amusing, 'I think it's a Bill, but knowing you, it's Junk...199'. Heero smirked, tossing the most recent collection in front of the box marked, 'Current', figuring that he might actually go through some of it before he left again.
 
Heero went to the sink, getting a glass of water, before heading upstairs to start a bath. Showers were more his style, but after two years in the wilderness, a good soak was just too tempting. But as he walked down the hall he stopped and faced a door he rarely opened. He looked at it, hesitating a moment before opening it to scan it's contents. He didn't know what he had expected. Everything was in it's place. The only thing disturbing the light, honey maple funiture was a faint layer of dust, confirming that no one, not even the intended occupant, had been inside the room. Heero shook his head as he closed the door.
 
'She's never even seen this room, let alone been inside it. Why'd you think she'd be here now?'
 
He crossed the hall to another room directly opposite the first, opening the door to find his familiar deep walnut furniture just as he left it. While the previous room had been decorated in a pale fushia, this one was done in a deep forest green. He crossed over to the bed where a small white square broke up the immense expanse of green on the king sized bed. It was a note.
Heero,
Just letting you know that I cleaned your room. Just
dusted it actually. Don't worry. I didn't snoop...Hilde
wouldn't let me!
Duo :)
 
He put the note on his desk, noting the lack of any real dust and guessed that their little cleaning excursion hadn't been long ago. Realizing that he was stalling, Heero got some clothes and headed for that bath, during which he thought about his current mission and how he'd go about it. He thought about his contact, wondering if he could pump his pick-up for any info on Relena, because he very much doubted that he'd actually be allowed anywhere near her. He fully expected that he'd be walking into a trap, but if there was even the slightest chance he could save her, then he had to take it.
 
'And when I have her out and safe...'
 
Heero's eyes narrowed as only a few of the evil thoughts for her captors floated briefly through his mind. After a few more minutes he looked over at his watch that he had propped up on the sink so he could keep track of the time. 11a.m. Good. He still had plenty of time. The contact instructions had said to be at the phone booth on the corner of Sakura and Tomei at 1p.m. sharp. He didn't intend to be late.
 
After hauling himself out of the tub, drying and redressing, Heero found himself in his kitchen again, looking for something to snack on quickly. The fridge held a can of pop, no doubt from Duo's last visit, and the pantry held some peanut butter and crackers. And other than the crackers being slightly stale, he decided it would do. It was better than some meals he'd eaten in the past.
 
So, crackers and Dew in hand, Heero sat down at the table to go through the pile of mail in the 'Current' box. Seeing the letters in front of it reminded him of the cassette package in his pocket and he got back up to retreive it. Coming back into the kitchen, he ripped the envelope open rather carefully. A normal looking cassette slid out onto the countertop as he up-ended it. He looked in the envelope to make sure it was empty and then picked up the cassette. The only thing written on it was, 'You should hear this-It's pretty enlightening'.
 
Heero looked at the envelope again and narrowed his eyes as he seen that it was addressed directly to him. While that shouldn't have been unusual, Heero had taken great pains to ensure his privacy here and had set the house up under a couple of security blinds. As far as anyone at the post office was concerned, Judith Priest, an 80-year old lady obsessed with cats and heavy metal music, lived here. He looked for the return address only to find none. There was no post mark either. This package had been hand delivered. Someone knew he lived here.
 
Heero scowled as he put the cassette into the small stereo on his counter and pushed 'PLAY'. A male voice he'd recognize anywhere right now assulted his ears.
 
"Hello, Mr. Yuy. I thought that I would take the time to briefly set a few things straight. But there are rules, Mr. Yuy. #1: You are the only one that gets to hear this. #2: You cannot tell anyone else what you hear on this tape. And #3: If you listen to this tape and decide to turn down my offer of employment, you must remove yourself from the Preventer's objective of rescuing Relena. If you can't abide by these rules, then snap this tape in half and the small phosphorus charge inside will ignite and melt it to a useless pile of slag. I'll give you a few seconds to think about it."
 
There was a small pause in which Heero walked over to grab his drink and snack and came back to the counter.
 
"Good. I didn't think you'd disappoint me. Now, this is an excerpt from a conversation between Relena and myself earlier tonight. Well, last night for you, as I'll make sure you get this first thing in the morning. But the point is that I am trying to prove to you that I really am trying to hire you as her bodyguard and that this isn't just a trap. Not that I truly think you'll believe me yet, so I'll let you listen first."
 
There was a bit of background noise as the tape was shut off and then restarted as, presumably, someone started dubbing something onto it. But the voice he heard first nearly winded him as badly as her image had on the viewscreen at HQ.
 
"Charles! How wonderful you could make it! I thought you said you were still going to be away on business tonight!"
 
Relena's voice sounded fuller, richer, and much to Heero's annoyance, pleasently suprised.
 
"Well, I got back a few hours ago and thought that I'd suprise you, my dear. And what better way to suprise you than to show up here, at your birthday gala?"
 
Heero's teeth nashed again as he heard the faint sound of those polite little kisses the elite do being exchanged.
 
"Oh, Charles! I couldn't have asked for a better suprise! Although, you know it's not really my birthday yet."
 
"Oh, I know. It's actually a week from now."
 
"I know. But I couldn't get Duo and the others to let me put it off till then. They were adamant in the possibility that someone would try to do something if I waited until then."
 
Relena's voice did little to hide her growing annoyance with her bodyguard, a fact which Carrington had obviously picked up as well.
 
"Oh, come now, Relena. They only have your safety at heart. And for what it's worth I completely agree with them. You are much to precious to let something happen to you."
 
His voice dropped in volume a little.
 
"Besides, that just means that you'll be free on your birthday for me to come and whisk you away for a true celebration! After all, it's only once in a lifetime you turn 21. You simply must enjoy it!"
 
Relena laughed. Not one of those little polite laughs, but a real chuckle. The sound both enthralled Heero and annoyed him.
 
"Is that some kind of rule, Charles? That you must go out and enjoy your 21st birthday?"
 
"But of course! And I know the perfect little club to take you to. It's small, jazzy, and swings all night long. You'll love it!"
 
"Oh, it sounds wonderful! But..."
 
Her voice trailed off.
 
"What is it, Relena? Is something wrong?"
 
"No. I just don't think I'll be able to make it, that's all. I do hope you'll forgive me."
 
"Now don't go getting all formal on me. We've known each other since we were kids. And you're a horrible liar, by the way, so why don't you just come clean with me? Hmm?"
 
She sighed.
 
"Oh, Charles, I'd love to go, but..."
 
"But?"
 
"But I don't think I'll be able to get away from Duo. He's almost as tenacious as Heero was!"
 
"Well. I see the problem now. Hmmm. How about if I offered to take full responsibility for your safety for just the one night? Do you think they would go for it? I mean, it's not like you won't be protected. You know full well I don't go anywhere without my own bodyguards. Even here, I brought two, knowing full well that they most likely won't have to do anything more than act polite and look imposing."
 
Relena laughed again.
 
"I know. I saw Fayet and Falen before I found you. And it's wonderful that you have such devoted bodyguards, but...don't you ever feel like a bird trapped in a guilded cage?"
 
The tone in Relena's voice had dropped again.
 
"Why, Relena, surely you don't feel threatened by your bodyguards, do you? I thought you said they were your friends?"
 
"Oh, they are! I didn't mean to imply anything of the sort! But just once, for one night, I wish I could get away from it all..."
 
"All of what, Relena?"
 
Carrington's voice was soft and coaxing.
 
"All of the glitz, the glamour, the parties and functions and people looking up to me like I'm still the queen or like I can simply wave a magic wand and make all their problems disappear! I can't do it! I'm not some perfect politician that can set the world back on it's axis! I'm just a girl...and a lonely one, at that. And when I let my guard down enough to let someone in, they either leave or get driven off! Oh, Charles...I just don't know how much longer I can do this, how much longer I can keep this up. This farce of a life is starting to feel like it's choking me and, quite frankly I'm getting tired of fighting for air..."
 
Her voice trailed off and Heero just barely caught the quiet sniff, the tell-tale sign that she was weeping.
 
"There, there, Relena. It's alright. There's no need to cry. Come here."
 
Carrington's voice was full of sympathy and compassion as he no doubt held her comfortingly during the ensuing silence. The only sound was the classical music playing in the background. Heero pushed the plate his snack was on away from him, as the scene playing out in his head made him rather nauseous. After another few moments he could tell she had pulled back and was composing herself again, as he could hear her breathing better now and it was becoming more normal.
 
"Thank you, Charles. Sometimes I don't know what I'd do without you."
 
"Don't be silly, Relena. You'd do just fine. I'm only glad that I finally got to rekindle the friendship with you I used to have when we were young. You may have been a Darlian then, but you still drew me to you. The last year has been quite the reprieve from the norm, having you around. And you know,"
 
Carrington's voice became serious, though still soft.
 
"If you ever need me, all you need do is call. I'll be there in a flash, to whisk you away from all the stress and worry that plagues you. After all, I do believe that's what our fathers had in mind, you know."
 
A soft thud announced the small swat she gave him.
 
"Don't be ridiculous! I could never do that to you, Charles. Besides, even if I were to take you up on that offer, you'd never get the chance to capture that beauty you're always telling me about. By the way, how goes your courtship of the lady?"
 
"Alas, sometimes I fear she doesn't even see me. At times I think she feels I'm just another suitor to be toyed with and pushed aside. Other times I think I may get through to her yet."
 
"Well, in a week you'll have absolutely no more tie to me than the friendship we share, and then you can chase her with all your heart. Be Bold, be daring, be the prince in shining armor that you always portray for me. Don't stop until she knows without a doubt what you feel for her! She'd be a fool to let you go! But you have to hurry, for the heart is a fragile thing that can change on a moment's notice, or steadfastly stall in a rut, if it feels it needs to. You better sweep her off her feet before someone else does!"
 
Carrington laughed.
 
"You are such the romantic, Relena. But I think I'll take your advice. I will sweep her off her feet, and soon. Maybe tomorrow."
 
"You do that! I'm sure she'd be delighted."
 
"O.k. So, when?"
 
"When? Hmm...how about before work? If she means so much to you then don't make her wait any longer than you have to!"
 
"She may miss work if I do that."
 
"Do it! There is nothing so important at work that won't wait until the next day, or two, hint, hint."
 
Carrington chuckled again.
 
"Very well. You win. I'll do it."
 
"Good. Now I must be off to schmooze some more."
 
Heero could almost hear her eyes rolling in her head as they both chuckled again.
 
"Alright. But I'll see you tomorrow, Relena."
 
"Alright, till then!"
 
Her voice was already fading into the background noise when the sound of the tape's dubbing stopped, only to be replaced with Carrington's personal message again.
 
"You see, Mr. Yuy. It was all a plan. I had been offering to whisk her away for months and she wouldn't hear anything of it. But tonight, I think she finally snapped. Her responsibilities have been truly dragging her down here as of late and I think she finally felt like she had to share the burden with someone. But she'd never be free from it until she marries and she knew that. And while this little conversation may sound innocent on the surface, let me assure you that it was her way of telling me that the time was right. We'd been talking like this for months, simply so Mr. Maxwell didn't catch on to what we were discussing.
 
But if you still doubt me, then let me ask you this: Did that sound like the strong woman that you know? Or even the strong teenager you protected so fiercely
during the war? Would the Relena you know let her guard down enough to cry in the arms of just anyone? You see, Mr. Yuy, I love her. And I will do everything in my considerable power to make her happy. And she knows this. I only hope that I've managed to convince you of this too. I look forward to seeing you soon, Mr. Yuy."
 
And with that the sound died on the cassette. Heero just stared at it for a moment before stopping it and ejecting the offensive cartridge. He held it up, looking at the small flammable charge inside it, before walking out his back door and out to the compost heap. There he snapped the thing in half, dropping it on the small heap, and watched it burn and melt into a small blackened lump of goo. As he watched the small white hot flames dancing over the tape, Heero couldn't seem to shake the feeling that this mission had just gotten a lot more dangerous, to his heart anyway. And as he watched the flames snuff themselves out, he wondered if he too had waited to long to let his heart feel the love it held, if it was too late to win that love back?
----------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------
 
Ha, Ha! The evil cliffy-beast strikes again! (rubs hands together maniacally)
 
Things are coming along swimmingly I think, but I'm just DYING to know what YOU think!
 
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEEEEEEEEEASE remember to leave feedback! I draw so MUCH of my inspiration from you guys!
 
Oh, and for those of you that are wondering where Heero has been for the last two years, I'm going to start posting a side story to this called, 'Heero's Lost Mission'. Of course I will allude to his mission here and there throughout 'Caged Doves', but for those that want the full story, I will be posting the whole thing, for your reading pleasure!
 
Till Next Chapter! Thanx! NekuYasha :)