Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Chimaera ❯ Chapter 23 ( Chapter 23 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G'boys, I just borrow them from time to time to play with and return them a whole lot happier, ne?

Rating: NC 17

Warnings: Yaoi, Lemon, sap, angst, Male Pregnancy, medical themes

Pairings: 1x2x1

Archive: http://gundam-wing-diaries.150m.com

http://sweetlysour.net.

http://adultfanfiction.net

http://www.theforsakenwk.com

Many thanks to DBZVelena, Ryouga and Yami_Tai for the beta. Also thanks to Yami_Tai for the title of this fic.

Notes: Set partially during the series but main bulk after the war. EW didn't take place. The Eve wars are finished and the peace retained. The pilots have all gone their own ways, Heero and Duo have made a life together both working for Preventer when Duo's world is turned upside down as his unknown past comes back to haunt him.

Dedication: To Velena who gave me the plot bunny for this little gem.

Status: In progress.

~ Indicates flashbacks ~

/ thoughts /

"Chimaera"

October. 2003 ShenLong

Chapter 23

Duo walked slowly through the streets, he'd proven his worth to the group and the boss was happy with his marksmanship. Shame that idiot Moran couldn't just accept him the same way. / There's always one, / he thought as he threaded his way through the maze of streets. The hair on the back of his neck began to prickle, his senses all sprang to the fore and he darted quick glances around.

Changing his route, Duo weaved a trail through the city's streets and alley ways, confirming his suspicion that he was being tailed. He managed to get a clear view of his shadow without the person tailing him being aware.

Moran.

/ That figures. / Duo turned down yet another alley way and began to warm to his task of leading Moran on a wild goose chase. As he wove his way through various places, so his mind registered that this was not looking too good for him. Moran tailing him meant that either the guy was dumb enough to think he could get Duo alone or doubted the information on his background that had been supplied.

Heero had done a pretty good hacking job setting up all the details on him for the group; then again, Heero had always been good at hacking. This was child's play to him. There hadn't been a lot of information provided for him, it mainly stated that he was a colonist from L2, had arrived on the earth after the war as a teenage war orphan. He'd been placed in an orphanage until he turned 18 and was a legal adult, a fact that had only recently occurred. Upon reaching legal status, he'd left the orphanage and was now listed as unemployed of no fixed address.

Deciding it was time to lose his shadow; Duo ducked down a couple of streets, made a few sharp turns and entered the notorious ghetto area of the city. From here it was just a simple case of slipping down one of the many alleys or side streets that criss-crossed the area. Moments later, he emerged back out into the more respectable side of town, and there was no sign of Moran.

Duo chuckled to himself, Moran was sure gonna be pissed when he discovered that Duo had eluded him and he was now stuck in an unsavory part of town. His mind then returned to the more immediate problem. He was pretty sure that Moran was following him to confirm that he was indeed of no fixed abode... and maybe to try and jump him. The jumping him part Duo could handle, he knew he would be able to take the man down with a few simple moves... it was the no fixed abode part that needed his attention.

He headed his feet in the direction of the apartment, this was something he needed to discuss with Heero and he wasn't looking forwards to what his over protective partner was going to say once he'd laid out his plan.

~ * ~

Heero entered the apartment to the sounds of Duo in the kitchen and a delicious smell hanging in the air. He dropped his bag to the floor and tossed the keys to the table before wandering into the kitchen and finding his lover. Duo had his back to him, bending slightly at the waist as he tasted something in the pot on the stove.

It struck Heero how... radiant..... yes, radiant; that was the only word Heero could think of, that adequately described the vision of Duo. His partner simply glowed, his skin had a pearly tone to it, his hair, the rich chestnut appearing even more luxurious that usual. Heero wondered when Duo had changed his brand of shampoo. Despite the vomiting of the past two mornings Duo looked..... healthy.

"Hey, baby."

Heero flushed as he realized he'd been caught staring. "How was your day?" Heero covered the distance to the stove in a couple of strides and wrapped his arms around Duo's waist. He gazed into the violet eyes that sparkled back at him and then kissed those pouting lips.

"Mmmm... Now that's a welcome I'd like more of."

Heero kissed him again. "That better?"

"Ohh, yeah." Duo wrapped his own arms around Heero and returned the kiss with a passion.

"Something smells good," Heero commented.

"A special dinner for a special person," Duo said softly.

Heero's mind was immediately on alert. Duo was up to something. He stared into his lover's eyes trying to get a clue as to what the American was planning. All he saw though was love and affection. Duo was always good at masking his emotions. "Do I have enough time to take a shower?"

"Yup." Duo placed a kiss to the tip of Heero's nose. "Don't be too long though."

Heero disentangled himself from Duo's embrace and headed for the bathroom, still puzzling over what surprise his partner was going to spring on him.

Duo finished cooking the meal and placed the steaming plates on the table as Heero walked out from the bedroom, toweling his wet hair. His torso was naked and the sweat pants rode low on his hips. Duo licked his lips. "Dinner's ready," he announced, stating the obvious.

Heero's eyes widened. He walked over to the table and stared down at the plate, his nostrils twitched and his mouth began to water.

Duo stood opposite Heero, his hands twisting nervously. He'd tried so hard to make this dish. He remembered a long time ago during the war, discussing what foods they loved and what they missed the most. Heero had confessed to this particular dish as being his favorite. Duo had remembered that and had done his best to make it for his lover. He was having a hard time though reading Heero's response. / He doesn't like it... He hates it... /

Heero took a long, deep breath, the scent tickling his nose and making his taste buds jump to life. He sat down, keeping his attention focused on the plate in front of him. Tentatively, he picked up the chop sticks and lifted a morsel up, transporting it to his mouth. He chewed, rolling the flavor over his tongue. He swallowed and raised his eyes to meet Duo's extremely nervous ones.

"Well?" Duo fidgeted, unable to sit down and eat his own meal until he'd heard Heero's response. "It sucks, doesn't it? I guess I shouldn't have tried to make something so... foreign." Duo sighed.

"Duo..."

"You don't have to eat it if you don't like it, Heero."

"Duo..."

"I can chuck it in the bin and go fetch us some burgers or something." Duo rose and went to lift the plate from in front of Heero. Heero's hand grasped his wrist and he paid attention to the Japanese man for the first time in the last few minutes.

"Duo, don't you dare chuck it out," Heero began, his voice low and soft but strong. "I haven't had niku-jaga [1] for a long time."

Duo stared at him and his heart melted.

"This..." Heero took another mouthful and chewed, with his eyes half closed but his hand still on Duo's wrist. "This is delicious."

"It is?"

"Hai. Thank you for making it, Duo. It really is good."

Duo's face broke into a broad grin and he sat down, picking up his own utensils and digging in.

"Where did you get the recipe from?" Heero asked through a mouthful of food.

"I went searching for it on the Internet," Duo replied. "I wanted to do something special for you... for us. I remembered you saying once during the war how much you loved it so I went searching for the recipe and then took a trip to the store to get the ingredients." Duo's amethyst eyes raisedrose to meet his lover's. "You really do like it?"

"Hai, I do, Duo." Heero couldn't bring himself to say anymore at the moment, he was feeling a little overwhelmed that his lover had done something so small, yet significant, for him. He was reminded yet again how much the American loved him.

They continued to eat, Duo pleased that he'd done something to make Heero happy and Heero, that his lover was thoughtful enough to do something like this; although Heero was sure that Duo had an ulterior motive, he just hadn't figured out what yet.

They finished their meal and Duo took the dirty dishes and deposited them in the sink, Heero joined him and picked up a tea towel, ready to start drying the dishes. No sooner had Duo started to wash up than the doorbell rang.

Heero quirked an eyebrow. "You expecting someone?"

"Umm... yeah," Duo replied a little sheepishly. Before Heero had the chance to say anymore, Duo had disappeared to answer the door.

Heero listened as the door opened and he heard Wufei's voice. / What was Wufei doing here? / Heero tossed the towel to the bench top and went into the lounge room, determined to find out what was going on. "Chang," he said as he entered.

"Yuy," Wufei replied.

"Well, now that the pleasantries are all done, why don't we take a seat," Duo said as he grasped the end of his braid and began to fiddle with it.

Wufei sat, Heero following suit, a frown on his face.

"Duo, what the hell is this all about?" Heero demanded.

"You haven't told him yet?" Wufei's voice held a small amount of scorn.

"Umm..... No, 'Fei, I haven't had a chance."

"Told me what? Heero could feel his temper beginning to flare.

Duo plucked at his jeans, clearing his throat he finally spoke. However, he refused to make eye contact with Heero. "It's about the assignment, Heero. I told you that one of the guy's was getting a little suspicious... well, he's starting to become a bit of a problem. A problem that could become very dangerous if we don't do something now."

"Oh?"

Duo took a deep breath and continued on. At least he had Wufei here to support him. "The background that you made up for me works well, the hierarchy are quite happy with it but this one guy..." Duo shivered. "He's asking questions and he's tailed me a couple of times... Nah, I lost him so we're quite safe," Duo was quick to add when he saw Heero's body tense. "But he's not going to be put off easily. He wants to know why I don't socialize, where I live, little things like that. If I keep disappearing the way I am, it's going to look even more suspicious."

"And this is all leading us where?" Heero asked. He had a funny feeling he wasn't going to like the answer.

It was Wufei who spoke next. "We think it would be a good idea to set up a temporary *home* for Maxwell, something that will confirm that his data is correct and throw off the suspicion."

"We?"

"Err... Yes. I discussed it with Wufei when I got back earlier." Duo said, his eyes still refusing to meet Heero's.

"I don't like the sound of it," Heero stated flatly.

Duo sighed. He'd known he was going to have a battle with Heero to get him to accept the idea, hence Wufei's presence. "Look, Heero. It will only be a temporary set up; I won't actually be living there."

"Explain."

"I'll find some old abandoned building in the slum area and stash a few things there, you know, odds and ends, enough to make it look like I'm living there. Then I can let this guy follow me back and once he sees that I'm living in a hell hole, he should back off and the mission won't be endangered."

The plan did have merit, that much Heero had to concede. But this was Duo they were talking about... *his* Duo.

"Maxwell is right, Yuy. This is important to the mission. If this person suspects there is something not right with Maxwell's history then it could prove detrimental to the mission, not to mention potentially fatal for Maxwell." Wufei had already agreed to Duo's proposition, he'd only come along this evening to give support and argue the point, knowing how stubborn Yuy could be at times.

"It's just a facade, Heero. I will still be coming home to the apartment and living here."

"I guess my protests won't mean anything?" Heero stated.

"Your protests will be listened to and noted, Yuy, but... the end result is going to be the same." Wufei stated calmly.

Heero turned to Duo. "Duo, look at me please."

Duo raised his eyes.

"I would feel a lot happier if you didn't do this but I appreciate the reasons why and can see the logic behind such a proposal."

Duo gave him a smile.

"However, it doesn't mean that I have to like it."

"I don't care much for it either, Heero, but it is necessary otherwise my cover could be blown if this sleaze doesn't get something concrete." Duo shivered at the thought of Moran, the man really did creep him out.

Heero noted the shiver and immediately went on alert. "What's this guy up to, Duo? He must be doing something, for him to rattle you this much."

Duo felt his gut twist. "He's just an asshole." Seeing Heero's look, Duo thought he'd better come clean. "He's made a couple of passes at me." Duo's cheeks tinged. Heero's did more than tinge; even Wufei looked a little... shocked.

"It's nothing I can't handle though. He's just big noting himself, you know the type, Heero. They're all talk and little dicks when it boils down to it."

Wufei coughed with Duo's bluntness.

Heero knew the type all right. He'd dealt with several during the war. They were just like hot air balloons, self important and wouldn't have a clue. All it usually took was one prick to bring them down, but the thought of anyone making a pass at his Duo made his blood boil. "I'll kill the bastard."

"As much as you might want to, Heero, you have to remember that we aren't in the war any longer and while I appreciate the thought, it's now called murder. I'll handle him, don't worry. All I need to do is get this pretend home set up and once he's seen it, I'll warn him off."

"I still want to kill him."

Wufei stood, deciding now was probably the best time to intervene and make his escape. This guy, whoever he was, had made a move on the wrong person. Wufei had no doubt that Maxwell could look after himself but the thought of anyone touching what belonged to Yuy... well, that just wasn't worth considering, it would involve rather a lot of pain and probably some blood too, Wufei suspected. "I will be leaving now. Maxwell, you set yourself up with this... hovel. Yuy, you stay out of it. I will be in contact with you both tomorrow. Don't bother to see me out; I'll make my own way. Good night, gentlemen." Wufei turned and headed for the front door.

"Good night, Chang."

"Nighty night, Wuffers."

The door shut rather abruptly.

Heero discussed the proposal with Duo for a while, ensuring that he had all the details and that Duo wasn't going to live there, that it was just what Duo had said, a fabrication to back up his story. He still didn't like it but had to accept that it was a part of the mission. He had to stop the emotional side of him from getting in the way when it came down to missions and Duo.

Happy that his lover had finally given up trying to change his mind, Duo headed for his shower while Heero finished the dishes.

/ I knew there was something up. / Heero thought as he washed up. / The dinner was just a way to soften me up for the main blow. / He had to hand it to Duo though, he sure could cook! The thought that Duo had felt the need to have Chang there for support rattled him a little. Surely he wasn't being *that* protective... was he? Maybe he had better do what Duo had suggested and back off a little, but it wasn't going to be easy.

With the dishes done, Heero reclined on the couch and flipped through the channels, Duo came out from the bedroom a short while later, oversized T shirt and baggy sweat pants in place. His braid neatly done. "Coffee?"

"Hai."

Duo returned and sat on the couch next to his lover, placing the two mugs on the coffee table. He reclined back against Heero and pulled a golden wrapped chocolate bar from his pocket and proceeded to munch on it.

Heero watched, amused. He'd never really seen Duo eat chocolate. "You'll get fat, Duo," he teased.

"With my metabolism?"

No more was said and Heero returned to watching the television, Duo finished his Crunchie bar [2] and wished he'd bought two.

~ * ~

tbc.......

[1] niku-jaga: This is a Japanese dish comprising of pork and potatoes, usually a stew.

[2] Crunchie Bar. Thought I'd better explain this one for those out there that aren't familiar with Crunchies. They are a bar of Honeycomb about 6 inches long and one inch thich covered with dairy milk chocolate. Take it from me they are Yum!

As promised the title and author of the book I am using for reference to the baby's development and general pregnany changes is... "Conception, Pregnancy and Birth. by Dr. Miriam Stoppard."