Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Chimaera ❯ Chapter 36 ( Chapter 36 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G'boys, I just borrow them from time to time to play with and return them a whole lot happier, ne?

Rating: NC 17

Warnings: Yaoi, Lemon, sap, angst, Male Pregnancy, medical themes

Pairings: 1x2x1

Archive: http://gundam-wing-diaries.150m.com

http://sweetlysour.net.

http://adultfanfiction.net

http://www.theforsakenwk.com

Many thanks to DBZVelena, Ryouga and Yami_Tai for the beta. Also thanks to Yami_Tai for the title of this fic.

Notes: Set partially during the series but main bulk after the war. EW didn't take place. The Eve wars are finished and the peace retained. The pilots have all gone their own ways, Heero and Duo have made a life together both working for Preventer when Duo's world is turned upside down as his unknown past comes back to haunt him.

Dedication: To Velena who gave me the plot bunny for this little gem.

Status: In progress.

~ Indicates flashbacks ~

/ thoughts /

"Chimaera"

October. 2003 ShenLong

Chapter 36

Sally left Duo and Heero alone to discuss their options. Giving G a look that clearly said he was to accompany her or face a slow, agonizing death she dragged the pair of them to Une's office. Needless to say, Commander Une was a little shocked to see Howard and G, especially as she had no knowledge of their arrival or even why the hell they were there!

Sally spoke with Une and arranged temporary accommodation for Howard and G. She managed to stave off the commander's questions for the moment with the promise that she would let the commander know what was happening as soon as possible. Une didn't have much of a choice other than to trust Sally for now. Until then all Une knew was that G was here to assist Sally in something completely top secret. She made a mental note to have a word with her higher ranking staff in regards to keeping her informed of what was happening within the Preventer building.

Once Sally had the accommodation side of things sorted out she took Howard and G back to the cafeteria and loaded up their trays with samples of the various concoctions that passed for food. She strode across the large room and sat down at a vacant table Howard and G right behind her. They sat in silence for a short while as they pushed the different pieces of food around their respective plates, trying to figure out if the item was edible or not and whether they would survive the experience.

Finally G broke the silence. "You know what they are going to decide, don't you?"

Sally sighed and put down her fork. "I have a pretty good idea, yes."

"Do you have the necessary equipment here to deal with something like this?"

"That, I'm not sure about. I would need to take an inventory of the equipment in stock and work from there. I don't know what other tools we are going to need but I can say they would be along the lines of what's used for a normal pregnancy," Sally replied, her mind deep in thought.

"We need to look further into this, study up on the anatomy so we will at least have some idea of what will be happening to Duo's body during the course of the pregnancy."

"Aren't you two jumping the gun a little here?" Howard interjected. "You're already planning out your various courses of action, including slicing and dicing the kid, but you haven't had Duo or Heero's decision yet."

Sally and G both turned to look at Howard.

"Then again, maybe you're right. Better to be prepared for anything." Howard said. "I guess I should shut up now."

"That might be a good idea, Howard. When it comes to matters of a medical nature I suggest you leave it to the 'experts'. Your expertise appears to be in the capacity of support crew so I think you should stick to that, don't you?" G's tone was sarcastic.

"I was only trying to help," muttered Howard.

Sally placed a hand over the Sweeper's work roughened one. "I appreciate your concerns, Howard. We are only trying to look at all the possibilities here; and as blunt and uncaring as that may seem to you, it is going to be a factor of large importance, regardless of what the guys decide. They are though, going to need all the support they can get whether they choose to go ahead or abort. Be there for them, Howard."

Howard nodded and then returned his gaze to his tray.

"If we have all finished I suggest we return to the medical wing. We should have Duo's and Heero's decision soon but in the meantime I would like to access one of the computer terminals if I may," G stated and looked at the pair expectantly.

"Fine with me," Sally said and began to stand.

"I think I will check in with the shuttle crew," Howard said. "You can call me on my cell once you have the kid's decision."

"Okay, Howard. I'll call down to transport and have a vehicle organized for you to use," Sally said.

"Thanks, I don't think these legs of mine are up to walking that far." Howard joked.

The three left the cafeteria and headed back to the medical wing, once they arrived Sally arranged the vehicle for Howard and set G up at one of the computer terminals. With Howard gone they set about researching all they could in relation to pregnancy and the various changes that occurred in the female body during that period.

~ * ~

The emotion was still thick in the room but Duo's tears had ceased and he was now cradled lovingly in his partner's embrace, head resting against Heero's shoulder while Heero's hand was laid protectively over Duo's abdomen. From time to time Heero would rub his hand across the tight belly while he feathered kisses to the top of Duo's head. There were no words exchanged between the two, all they had to say had been said and now they were content to just lie together and draw strength from each other.

Heero's mind was concentrating on his lover, how he could best help Duo through this with the least amount of stress as possible. Duo's mind was on Heero, hoping that Heero wasn't staying with him out of duty, even though Heero had insisted he wasn't. Duo gave a small sigh and shifted slightly, dropping one hand to rest over the top of Heero's on his stomach, as he moved he felt something against his hand. He reached a little further, his fingers exploring, it was then that he realized what the object was.

"Oh shit!" he muttered. "Damn! I totally forgot about the Crunchie." Duo tossed the bed clothes aside and drew the melted Crunchie bar out from the covers. He looked at it forlornly. "You reckon I can salvage any of it, Heero?" he asked, his voice soft.

Heero eyed the remains. "I think it's beyond help, Duo. Might be best just to give it a decent funeral."

"Such a waste," Duo sighed and gingerly turned the wrapper around.

"I'll get you another one, Duo," Heero said as he reached to take the destroyed confection from his lover and drop it in the bin.

Duo licked the melted chocolate off his fingers whilst watching his boyfriend dispose of the evidence. Duty done, Heero returned to his place on the bed but before he sat down he lifted the bed covers and snickered. Duo's eyes traveled to where Heero was looking.

"Fuck!

"I don't think you're going to be Nurse Brown's most popular patient, Duo," Heero continued to snicker.

"You'll protect me from her won't you, Hee-chan?" Duo whined. The sheets of the bed were smeared with melted chocolate in places and Duo knew without a doubt that Nurse Brown would not be a happy camper when she saw the mess, especially as she'd only changed the linen that morning, not to mention that he'd been eating something he probably shouldn't have been.

"I'll see if I can't find any fresh sheets and change the bed without her knowing," Heero replied.

"Thanks, Heero," Duo said and then shifted himself slightly.

"I'll be right back." Heero left the small ward room and headed off in search of clean linen. He managed to locate some and returned minutes later. Changing the sheets wasn't as easy as Heero would have thought. He had to get Duo out of the bed first and that in itself was no mean feat. Somehow though he managed and soon the bed was crisp and clean, the dirty sheets stuffed in the hamper in the laundry room and no one was any the wiser.

With the *mission* accomplished their thoughts once more turned to the child they had created. "I guess we should call Sally and let her know what we have decided," Duo said quietly.

"Hai, we should." Heero leaned over the bed and grasped the small buzzer. "Want me to press it?"

"Yes, please."

Heero did as requested and moments later Nurse Brown appeared in the doorway. "What is it?" she asked in her efficient manner.

"Umm... Could you please let Doctor Po know that we have finished our discussion and wish to speak with her, please." Duo asked.

Nurse Brown nodded. "I'll get her for you right away." With that Nurse Brown disappeared.

It wasn't long until they heard the sounds of approaching footsteps and Sally with Dr. G in tow entered the room. Sally gave the long haired man a warm smile before sitting herself down in one of the chairs. G mimicked her action, minus the smile, sitting himself down in the other chair. Heero instinctively wrapped an arm around Duo's shoulder and pulled the American towards himself, his other hand entwining fingers with Duo's.

"I take it that you have come to a decision?" Sally asked.

"Hai," Heero replied.

Duo looked first at Sally and then at G. "We have decided to go ahead with the pregnancy."

G lowered his eyes and fiddled with his hands. Duo turned his gaze back to Sally. "We have discussed it and both agree that we cannot take life anymore; there has been enough of that in our past, it's time to give life for a change. We are aware that there will be risks to both the child and myself and I'm willing to take those risks, Heero is willing to back me up."

Sally's smile softened and her eyes suddenly became misty. "This isn't going to be easy, Duo."

"I realize that, but I, no, we, have every confidence in you and G to help us through this." Duo turned to look at Dr. G. "You are going to help us, aren't you?"

Dr. G raised his head and looked both Heero and Duo in the eye. "Yes, I will be there to help you. Dr. Po will be there for you for the larger part of the pregnancy, I will be more into the researching side of things for the majority of it. I will, however, be there to assist when and if necessary. It's the least I can do to make up for my past mistakes."

Duo nodded. He could accept that. He turned back to Sally. "We do have a few questions though, as well as other points and issues that will need to be discussed."

"That's what we're here for, Duo. We will try and answer as many questions as we can, and if we can't then we'll do our damnedest to find out." Sally gave both men a reassuring look

Before Duo had a chance to ask anything, Heero jumped in with a question of his own. "What are Duo's chances of surviving this? And what of the child? Ouch!" Heero flinched as Duo elbowed him in the ribs. He shifted slightly so as to stare at his lover. "I need to know, Duo."

Duo shook his head. "I know you do, Heero, and I do as well but..."

Sally broke the tension. "It's okay to be scared; hell, if you weren't then I would seriously be considering getting your mental state checked! In answer to both questions I really do not know. There hasn't been a recorded case of this type of thing happening before. Personally I can't see any reason for Duo or the child not to survive, as long as they receive careful attention during the pregnancy. But there is always the factor of the unknown to consider as well and this shouldn't be taken lightly."

"I know a woman comes equipped to deal with this sort of thing, Sally, but I have a guy's insides and genetic make up. As the baby grows bigger what's going to happen to my internal workings? Will the womb be able to cope with the child? Dr. G did say the organs were malformed..." Duo trailed off.

"We will need to do a complete ultra sound on you, Duo, now and continuously throughout the pregnancy to determine a lot of things, from the baby's development through to how your internal organs are coping with the shift in room as the baby grows. Then there will be the dietary requirements, we will need to make sure that the placenta is attached well enough and that the usual exchange of nutrients is taking place normally, not to mention that you are getting enough nutrition yourself. As for the womb being able to cope, that is again something we will only be able to determine with the ultra sound." Sally took a breath.

"Shit! There's a whole lot to this baby business isn't there, Heero?" Duo said, his eyes wide.

Heero nodded, his respect for the female of the species having climbed a few notches with all the information he was receiving in relation to pregnancy. Half of what he was discovering he'd had no idea about, regardless of the fact that Duo was a male and carrying the child. The changes that the female body underwent during pregnancy were nothing short of a miracle to him... and now Duo was about to undergo the same thing... to say he was shit scared would be an understatement.

"Duo, Heero?"

Both men returned their attention back to Sally.

"Besides the obvious medical side to all of this we also have the other side to think about." Sally lowered her voice a fraction. "Commander Une and Wufei will need to be informed of this; they are both after all your superior officers."

"Wuffers has got to know!?" Duo practically shouted and then fell back into his pillows, his voice taking on a dramatic tone. "Oh no... I'll never hear the end of this! Please, Sally. You can't be that cruel to me. I think I've already suffered enough with finding out I've got female bits and am going to have a baby, but to have Wuffy know as well... that's just rubbing salt into the wound."

Heero's face crinkled into an amused smile. "It won't be that bad, Duo. Besides, I'll be right here to look after you; I won't let him tease you too much."

"Thanks a lot, Heero." Duo decided he would rather sulk and tugged his hand from Heero's to fold his arms across his chest.

"Nice pout," Sally commented. "But unfortunately it isn't going to get you anywhere. You have to face it, Duo, that as this pregnancy progresses your belly is going to swell to accommodate the baby. I'm pretty sure that Wufei and Une are both going to notice that. Also, as you get further along so you're not going to be able to take part in any physical missions either. That brings me to the next problem..."

"Why do I get the feeling that this is never going to end? Shit, it's worse than an Ozzie interrogation," Duo moaned.

"You will not be able to stay around here for much longer, Duo. I'm guessing you're around six to eight weeks along, give it another couple of months and you will be showing. Hard to say how much, but it would be enough that it's going to cause questions to be asked. I'm betting that you have already begun to notice that you've put on a little weight, despite the vomiting."

The sheepish smile that followed was a pretty good admission. "Yeah, come to think of it, I have found my pants starting to get a little snug. I thought it was because of the Crunchie bars I've been eating lately."

"More like scoffing!" Heero was quick to point out.

"Oh?" Sally inclined her head.

Duo blushed. "I can't help it, I just have to have one each day, more if I can get them."

"Ahhh... Cravings." Doctor G stated.

"Pardon?" Duo turned to look at the doctor.

"Cravings. A lot of women find themselves needing something they normally wouldn't eat. Quite often it's one of the first signs of pregnancy, along with the morning sickness."

"So that explains the nausea and vomiting then," Heero said.

"Yes." G sat back again, perfectly happy to let Sally continue to deal with most of the conversation.

"The vomiting should pass somewhere in the next few weeks, usually it only lasts for the first trimester but it can go on in some cases. Usually a cup of tea, some dry toast or crackers can help with the nausea first thing in the morning. I'll make a note to let Nurse Brown know so she can be sure to give you some before breakfast." Sally explained.

"Well, if I can't stay around here for much longer, I guess I'm going to have to find something at home to do while this... baby develops." Duo sighed in resignation.

"Umm... I hate to tell you this, Duo, but staying at your apartment is going to be out of the question as well."

"Why?"

"Too many people around. Regardless of how careful you are there is too greater risk of you being discovered. I know I don't have to remind you of what will happen should word of this get out." Sally's voice lowered as she spoke.

"Yeah, I guess you're right." Duo began to fiddle with his braid.

"Quatre," Heero suddenly said.

Everyone in the room automatically turned to face the door, expecting to see the blonde standing there but the space was empty.

"Pardon, Heero?" Sally said.

"Quatre. I'm sure if we contact him and inform him of the status he will assist us with accommodation." replied Heero.

"That will mean another person knowing of your condition, Duo." G stated in a not too happy tone.

"Correction, two people, Doc. Wherever Quatre is, you will also find Trowa," Duo stated. "Those two are inseparable."

"Quatre and Trowa can be trusted, they would not say anything. It seems like the logical thing to do to me. Quatre has many places scattered about and the security in them is excellent, not to mention the additional protection of the Magunacs."

"You know," Sally began as she rubbed her chin thoughtfully. "That could just work. Do you have a contact for Quatre, Heero?"

"Hai, I do."

"Good. I think it would be an idea to contact him as soon as possible and see what we can arrange." With that said, Sally stood and motioned to G. "You need to rest now, Duo. I'll send Nurse Brown in to check on the dressings and then I want you to try and sleep for a while. Heero can come with me and we will see what we can organize with Quatre. We will be back soon enough and when we return I'll bring the ultra sound machine with me, I'm sure you would both like to have a look at your child."

Duo flashed her a brilliant smile. "That would be great, Sally. Thanks."

Sally and G exited the room, giving Heero and Duo a few moments alone to say their temporary good-byes.

"I never knew it would all be so complicated, Duo," Heero began as he placed a tender kiss to Duo's lips.

"Me either, Heero." Duo returned the kiss. "But I'm not changing my mind."

"I wouldn't expect you to, and I have no intention of changing mine either. We will face this together."

"And all because you didn't wear a condom, Heero," Duo snickered.

~ * ~

tbc.......