Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Chimaera ❯ Chapter 97 ( Chapter 97 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Please se previous chapters for notes, disclaimers etc.
 
"Chimaera"
 
October 2003 ShenLong
 
Chapter 97
 
Duo's eyelids began to flutter open as sunlight filtered into the room. Groggily he opened his eyes and glanced at the clock on the bedside table. The numbers stared back at him. Eight ten. As his befuddled mind came slowly back online so the previous day's events caught up. The shift of a warm body beside him alerted him to Heero's waking up. A pair of intense cobalt eyes appeared in front of him and a soft kiss was pressed to his lips.
 
"Good morning Mr. Yuy-Maxwell." Heero's smile that accompanied the kiss was breathtaking.
 
"Morning to you too, Mr. Yuy-Maxwell," replied Duo as he shifted slightly to try and steal another of those sweet kisses. Duo didn't give a damn about morning breath, just as long as he could wake up like this every morning. He did, however, give a damn about the sticky, itchiness he could feel on his stomach, ass and thighs. The previous evening's activities came back to him with starling clarity.
 
"Are you feeling all right this morning, Duo? No pain? Baby okay?" Heero traced his finger over Duo's cheek as he spoke.
 
"Tell me I didn't go to sleep without getting cleaned up first," Duo groaned.
 
Heero chuckled. "I did go through to check the tub and it was the right temperature, but when I came back to get you, you had fallen asleep and I didn't have the heart to wake you."
 
"So you let me sleep with all this gunk on me? Thanks a lot." Duo scratched absently at his belly, the flakes of dried semen peeling off like old paint.
 
"I did bring a wash cloth out and do my best to clean you up but I obviously missed a bit."
 
"More than a bit I'd say," replied Duo and then a wicked smile came over his face. "Any chance of getting that tub refilled and taking that bath now?"
 
"I think that can be arranged," murmured Heero and kissed his husband again. "I'll go start to fill it up."
 
"Thanks, Heero."
 
***
 
Half an hour later the pair emerged from the bathroom feeling much cleaner and refreshed. Heero gave his husband a hand with his hair, brushing out the chestnut locks and then swiftly braiding it.
 
"You're getting good at that," remarked Duo as his eyes slowly opened. He really did enjoy having someone brush his hair.
 
"Practice makes perfect," replied Heero, "and I love to practice," he added with a lustful grin.
 
"You can practice with me any time, Heero," snickered Duo. "Come on, let's go get some breakfast and see if anyone else is up and about."
 
They left their room hand in hand and wandered down to the dining room.
 
***
 
"Ahh, here they are," announced Quatre in his cheerful voice as Heero and Duo entered the dining room. "How are you both this morning?" he added with a cheeky grin and wink.
 
"Fine, Quatre. Thanks for asking," replied Duo and took his seat at the table.
 
Trowa appeared bearing a tray containing a mix of breakfast items, Siska following behind with more. "Sleep well?" he asked the newlyweds as he set the breakfast goodies on the table.
 
"Like a baby," replied Duo as he eyed off the feast. "Heero, you sure we can't hire Trowa to be our chef?"
 
"You couldn't afford me," replied Trowa with a smirk. "I was going to bring you both up a tray of breakfast but now that you're here..."
 
"Maybe we should go back to bed, Heero. I like the sound of brekky in bed." Duo gave his husband a lewd smirk.
 
"No thanks. I hate the toast crumbs that get all through the sheets," muttered Heero as he poured himself a glass of orange juice.
 
Trowa continued to set out the food; bacon, eggs, mushrooms, toast, pancakes, waffles, as well as the condiments to accompany them were all placed on the table.
 
"Shit, how many are you planning on feeding here, Tro?"
 
"Not many. There's us four of course, Nurse Brown and Hilde. That's it. Wufei, Sally, Une, G and Howard all went home last night after the reception."
 
At that moment Hilde and Nurse Brown entered the room, Hilde rubbing at her eyes and looking weary, Nurse Brown on the other hand looked crisp and efficient as she always did.
 
"Uh oh, looks like someone imbibed a bit too much last night," said Duo as he looked at Hilde.
 
"Can it, Duo," Hilde muttered and sank to a chair. "Got any aspirin, Heero?"
 
Heero stood up and left the room, returning a moment later with two white pills and a glass of water. He placed them next to Hilde's elbow and then resumed his seat and began to help himself to breakfast.
 
"Thanks, buddy, you're my hero," Hilde said and swallowed the pills.
 
"He's my Heero, thanks," growled Duo possessively.
 
Quatre laughed and began to eat.
 
The main topic of conversation revolved around the previous day's wedding, everyone saying how much they enjoyed it and what a success it had been. Each person had a story to tell, a little recap of various events and soon the laughter was flowing thick around the table. Trowa revealed how his heart had almost stopped beating when he couldn't find the ring, thinking Heero would kill him but knowing Quatre would beat the Japanese man to the deed. He'd finally recalled that he'd put it in the inside pocket so as not to lose it. Duo teased Nurse Brown about dancing with Howard and how smooth the man could be. Hilde also copped her fair share of teasing over her enjoyment of the wine. Everyone agreed that the music, the vows and ceremony had been something special.
 
Gradually the banter slowed and the topic switched to the subject of the wedding presents which were sitting in a room just off the lounge and still to be opened.
 
"Any idea of when you're going to open them?" asked Trowa as he munched on a piece of toast.
 
"Hadn't thought about it," replied Heero as he sat back and rubbed his full stomach. "That was delicious, Trowa. Thank you."
 
"You're welcome. Anyone like anymore to eat?" Trowa asked.
 
Several replies came back to him ranging from the 'I'm stuffed' to the 'No, thank you.' Siska returned and began to clear the table.
 
"We have to dismantle everything from the wedding today and clean up," said Heero as he gazed out the window at the blue sky and fluffy clouds.
 
"There won't be a great deal to do, we did clean up a lot of it last night," said Quatre as he picked up his tea cup and took a sip.
 
"Thanks, guys," said Duo. To be honest he wasn't looking forward to the clean up. He didn't mind the organizing and the setting up of everything but for some reason he wasn't keen on the packing up of it all. There always seemed to be twice as much after the event and Duo couldn't explain that.
 
"Shall we adjourn to the lounge room to finish our coffees and Duo and Heero can open their wedding gifts?" suggested Quatre with a smile.
 
"Sounds good to me," said Hilde picking up her strong, black coffee and getting up.
 
"Looks like we aren't going to get any peace until we open the gifts, Heero. Might as well get it over and done with," sighed Duo, although underneath he was excited as a kid on Christmas morning.
 
The group all got up and made their way through to the lounge room. Trowa and Quatre went ahead to bring the wedding gifts into the lounge, Heero and Duo brought up the rear, Heero's hand on the small of Duo's back rubbing gently and causing Duo to purr softly. Barney sat in his cage watching the people with interest as they arrived in the room and chirping 'Hello, good morning' to them all. Once everyone was sitting comfortably, Heero and Duo went to start opening the wedding gifts but were stopped when Trowa came into the room pushing a cot.
 
"What the?" said Duo in shock.
 
"Where did that come from?" asked Heero also in shock.
 
Quatre beamed and handed them a card. Duo took the card and opened it, scanning the words before brushing away a tear and passing the card to Heero to read. "Chang. I might have known," said Heero softly and passed the card to the others to read.
 
Duo was on his feet checking out the cot. It had a drop side to it and was made from a polished pine wood, sturdy yet safe and aesthetically pleasing. It had castors on the bottom of the legs for easy maneuverability, the sides having 'bars' whilst the foot and head boards were solid. A mattress sat in the base and a comforter ran around the top part to protect a baby's head from connecting with the hard wood.
 
"It's beautiful," said Duo as another tear escaped his eye. "I'll have to really watch myself and not tease Wuffy so much after a gift like this."
 
Knowing how much a cot cost, having priced them a while ago with Duo, Heero was also overwhelmed by the generosity of Chang and Sally. "I shall call them shortly and thank them both for their most considerate gift," Heero said quietly as he appraised the cot.
 
"It's a beauty," said Quatre, appearing beside the pair.
 
"It will be perfect for the child," approved Nurse Brown as she looked the cot over. "The bars are close enough together that a baby's head will not get caught between them, sturdy enough to take the rigors of a growing infant and yet light enough to be moved with ease. I also like the safety catches, the design of those is excellent, a child cannot get its fingers caught in there."
 
"Well, it must be good if it has the Nurse Brown seal of approval," quipped Duo.
 
"No, it has to be perfect to receive my recommendation," replied the nurse with a smile and a wink. "I'm very fussy when it comes to where my babies sleep."
 
Duo gave a low chuckle and ran a hand over his belly. "Nothing is too good for Sunshine here."
 
"You'd better believe it," murmured Heero as he wrapped an arm around Duo's waist and stroked the bump.
 
"There's more gifts yet, guys," called Hilde from the couch where she was sitting and feeling much better now that the aspirin had begun to kick in.
 
"Okay, okay, don't get your knickers in a knot. We're coming," retorted Duo.
 
"I sincerely hope not," teased Hilde in return.
 
"Already done that last night," Heero deadpanned and sent his husband into a choking fit. Once everyone had recovered so the rest of the wedding gifts were passed over and the pair began to unwrap them.
 
"What the fu... hell is this?" said Duo as he unwrapped the package from Hilde and stared at the box.
 
"It looks like a breast pump to me," stated Nurse Brown as she took in the picture and writing on the box.
 
"A breast pump?! Why the heck would I want a breast pump for? I don't have boobs," snapped Duo indignantly.
 
"You never know, Duo. You aren't supposed to be able to fall pregnant either but you did that," snickered Quatre.
 
"I do not have, nor intend to have, breasts!"
 
"Ah, but nature works in mysterious ways, Duo. Maybe we should look at getting you a fitting for a maternity bra," said Trowa, barely able to contain his laughter at the look on the American's face.
 
"That's not in the least bit funny, Cyclops," huffed Duo.
 
"Sally did say there was a chance that the hormonal imbalance may cause you to develop breasts," began Heero and then quickly shut up at the death glare he received from his husband.
 
Hilde meanwhile was snickering away. When Duo focused the intensity of his glare on her she was quick to choke down the mirth and handed over another parcel. "This is the real gift," she sniggered. "The other was a joke, payback for all the ones you've played on all of us over the years."
 
"Well, it worked. You had him really worked up for a moment there, Hilde. I salute you," said Quatre with a grin and a bow.
 
Hilde acknowledged the compliment with a nod and then turned her attention back to the newlyweds who were opening the real gift.
 
"Hilde, they're lovely," said Heero as he held up the package containing a set of cot sheets. Duo was quick to add his approval to Heero's as he inspected the baby blankets and comforter that matched the sheets.
 
"I'm glad you like them," replied Hilde. Wufei told me a while ago that Sally and he were buying the cot for you and knowing that you hadn't purchased anything in the cot linens line, I thought it would be an ideal gift. If you don't like the print I can change them for you."
 
"No, the print is great," said Duo as he looked at the array of small cartoon animals decked out in space suits floating amongst stars. "Thank you." Duo got up and went across to where Hilde was sitting and gave the woman a kiss to the cheek. Hilde blushed suitably and then went even redder as Heero planted a kiss on her other cheek.
 
"Who's a pretty boy? Kiss me quick," cooed Barney.
 
Everybody laughed.
 
Howard had already given them their matching tie clips made from gundanium. G had bought the couple a pair of matching rocking chairs. Apparently Nurse Brown had mentioned something about rocking chairs being a wonderful therapy when nursing a newborn to Sally in the course of conversation and G had overheard. Duo could just picture himself and Heero sitting in them outside on the patio, Sunshine in his arms as they rocked together. It brought a funny look to his face, one that everybody insisted he explain and eventually he did, despite feeling that he would be ridiculed for being sappy. The response of his friends though was quite the opposite; they all joined him in the vision saying how sweet it would be.
 
Lady Une had given them each a gift voucher for a local department store. Not knowing what they needed or wanted she thought it would be the more practical thing to give them, that way they could purchase what they required when they were ready to do so. Both Heero and Duo were more than happy with that, especially when they saw the amount on each card.
 
"Two hundred credits!" exclaimed Duo. "Shit!"
 
"It is rather extravagant of our boss," agreed Heero."Fuck, I never would have...""Duo! Mind your language," stated Nurse Brown.
 
"Fuck off, fuck off," chirped Barney happily.
 
"Oops. Sorry." Duo turned a respectful shade of red and bit his lip.
 
Trowa had to turn and hide his face in the couch cushions while Quatre's eyes opened rather wide at the bird's language. He hadn't known that birds could speak so fluently.
 
Trowa finally surfaced from the cushions and thought it best to try and change the topic back to the remaining gifts. He reached down and plucked a small package from beside the chair he was sitting in. "Here, guys. A little something from Quatre and me."
 
"Guys!" exclaimed Duo. "You have already given us our wedding present; you made the cake and put on all the catering for the reception. We couldn't possibly take anything more from you."
 
"I agree with Duo. You two have already done far too much for us both. You shouldn't be giving us anything else." Heero's eyes burned fiercely.
 
"It's not much so don't go getting all worked up," said Quatre. "It's just a little something that Trowa and I felt you two could probably use and need."
 
There was something suspicious about the flush that was creeping up on Quatre's face, not to mention the twinkle in his eyes that had Duo on edge. Turning to look at Trowa he didn't get any more clues as the Latin schooled his features into neutrality.
 
"Open it," Quatre stated and sank back into his chair with a look of anticipation on his face.
 
"Might as well, Heero," said Duo and passed his partner the small package. "You do the honors."
 
Heero took the small present and began to pull off the wrapping paper, everyone in the room was breathing so quietly you could hear a pin drop. As the last of the paper fell away so Heero simply stared at the small box in his hand.
 
"I don't believe it," gasped Duo, a look of shock on his face.
 
"What is it?!" demanded Hilde as she craned her neck to see.
 
"A packet of condoms," stated Heero flatly.
 
There was a moments silence before the room exploded into laughter.
 
"We figured that after Sunshine is born you two are going to need to use some form of protection so we thought we would kick start the contraceptive stakes for you," snickered Trowa.
 
"They're the deluxe kind, strong but durable, supposed to allow you a minimum of eighty percent feeling and they're also ribbed to give extra stimulation," recited Quatre.
 
"What did you do? Commit the words from the box to memory?" said Duo as his violet eyes widened.
 
"Umm... No." Quatre turned a fetching shade of red.
 
"Voice of experience?" said Heero with a wise look and nod of his head.
 
"Ah... Errrr..." Quatre was forced to turn away lest his reddened state get any worse.
 
"Here's my gift," said Nurse Brown as she attempted to bring some sort of order back to the goings on around her.
 
"Thank you. You shouldn't have gotten us anything," said Heero as he took the gift and began to open it, the air around them settling back to normality once again.
 
"It's not much but I hope it will help," smiled Nurse Brown.
 
Duo peered over Heero's arm to see what the gift was and as it was revealed so his face didn't know whether to break into a broad grin or frown.
 
"The Complete Guide to Pregnancy, Child Birth and Raising an Infant," said Heero as he read the title of the book and then opened it to have a quick flick through.
 
"I have found it to be an excellent source of information," began Nurse Brown. "I'm sure that you will both gain some valuable information and answers to questions in there."
 
"Looks fascinating," replied Heero as he flicked over the pages, pausing from time to time to scan an interesting piece.
 
"Oh, look. There's a section on bathing the baby and changing the diapers," said Duo with a snicker.
 
"Is there a right and wrong way to do those things then?" asked Heero.
 
"Of course there is, Heero!" exclaimed Hilde and rolled her eyes. "You have to be careful, you know, if you fold a diaper the wrong way then you won't get the proper absorbency or the thing could fall off when you try to put it on the child. Not to mention the bathing. If you're not careful the baby could slip or slide and go under the water."
 
"Can't you put one of those floating devices on the child when bathing it?" asked Heero.
 
Five pairs of eyes all turned and trained themselves on Heero's face.
 
Heero wasn't completely sure what it was he'd said to cause that reaction but he gathered it was something pretty serious. "What? Why are you all looking at me like that for?"
 
"Heero, you've never had anything to do with babies at all in any capacity, have you." It was a statement, not a question from the blonde. Quatre hadn't really had a great deal to do with babies either but he did have the heads up on Heero, he had twenty-nine sisters to thank for that.
 
"No. Babies were not a part of my training and I've never had the need to investigate the intricacies of child caring. It wasn't in any of the missions," replied Heero with a puzzled look. "One would naturally assume that any human that cannot swim would take to wearing a flotation aid device of some sort or seek lessons. Being a baby it wouldn't have the understanding to partake of lessons so therefore the use of a flotation aid would be the logical choice."
 
By this stage Trowa was nearly suffocating in the cushion he was using to stifle his laughter, Quatre was looking completely horrified and Hilde's expression was mirroring that of Quatre's. Nurse Brown was looking fit to explode and Duo wasn't sure whether he wanted to strangle his husband or join Trowa in the asphyxiation stakes.
 
"Heero," began Nurse Brown in an obviously controlled voice, "you do not put flotation devices on babies to bathe them. Yes, if you are taking them into a swimming pool or the like, but not for a bath. I can see we are going to have the need for some lessons in care of the infant before Duo gives birth."
 
"I second that motion, especially if the child is to live to see its first birthday," said Hilde.
 
Heero sighed and shrugged his shoulders. "Whatever you think is best," he replied.
 
"Somehow I don't think it's going to hurt to take a few lessons in how to care for a baby, Heero," said Duo softly. He could understand where his husband was coming from and in all honesty he really didn't have that much of a clue himself when it came to child care.
 
"Most people attend some form of pre-natal classes. Usually it covers the birth, labor, what to expect, how to breathe, the various kinds of drugs or methods available for pain relief to name but a few," said Nurse Brown. "In Duo's case though, these sorts of classes are really not designed for his benefit, although the caring for the baby parts would assist in a large way. I think it would be for the best if you were both to have a few lessons in the basics of baby care."
 
"Sounds like a good idea to me," said Duo. "What do you think, Heero?"
 
"I think all kids should come with an instruction manual," deadpanned Heero. "It would make everything so much easier. When you think about it, everything else generally comes with a manual of some form; why not kids?"
 
"Heero! You don't go out and buy a kid like you would a television or something!" exclaimed Hilde. "You'll be wanting a warranty on it next!"
 
"Now there's a thought," mused Heero. "I wonder if you get something like a money back guarantee if the child isn't up to specification or has a malfunction of some sort." Heero winked at Nurse Brown and Duo.
 
Both the nurse and Duo could see that Heero was merely baiting Hilde and Quatre, knowing full well the two would bite so they said nothing, just sat back and watched the fireworks.
 
"Money back guarantee?!" spluttered Quatre. "Babies aren't a business deal or the like!"
 
"In case you didn't realize it, Heero, babies are not something you can mail order. If you don't like them, you can't send them back..." Hilde began, only to be interrupted by Duo.
 
"I've got news for you, buddy. There's no way you're even going to attempt to put Sunshine back in here once it's born!" Duo folded his arms across his chest and gave his husband a *look*.
 
Trowa couldn't contain his snort of laughter at that thought.
 
Hilde continued, ignoring the laughter around her. "Once a baby is born, regardless of what sex or temperament it is, you have it for life; twenty-four seven. It's your responsibility and no one else's." With those words said, Hilde also folded her arms across her chest and sat defiantly in her chair.
 
Heero snuggled a little closer to his pregnant partner and ran a hand over the swollen bulge of the baby. As he caressed it so he spoke in a soft tone. "I know you can't treat babies like a piece of merchandise, they don't have manuals or warranties and there are no guarantees with them either. That's what makes them unique, special, and I intend to try and do the best I can for both Sunshine and Duo here."
 
"And you will, Heero. Both of you will do the best you can for this baby because you have the most important ingredient," said Nurse Brown.
 
"We do?" asked Duo. "And what would that be?"
 
"Yes, you do. You have love."
 
~ * ~
 
tbc......