Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Chimaera ❯ Chapter 101 ( Chapter 101 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Please see previous chapters for disclaimer, notes etc.
 
"Chimaera"
 
October. 2003 ShenLong
 
 
 
Chapter 101
 
Duo and Heero spent the next few days practicing their new found skills at bathing and changing the baby. Once they got the hang of things it wasn't all that hard and Duo began to wonder why the nurse had been worried that they wouldn't be able to cope. As far as he could tell all this looking after a baby stuff was overrated.
 
Duo was taking a break and sitting in one of the rocking chairs that they'd received as a wedding gift. He'd spent the morning sorting through his and the baby's clothing, getting things organized and packed into a small bag as Sally and the nurse had suggested ready for his eventual trip to the hospital for the birth. Now that he was getting closer to his due date he couldn't help but feel a little apprehensive. The lessons they'd had in baby care had prepared him somewhat for the baby but it was the birth process that concerned him more at the moment. He sighed softly as he rocked in the chair, hand caressing the swell of the baby as he rocked. Sunshine hadn't been quite so active of late but Sally had said that it was normal; as the baby began to settle into position for the birth so the activity would lessen. Also there wasn't all that much room now for the child to 'play' as the fetus would be doing the last of its growing and thus taking up whatever minute space was left.
 
Duo was amazed at the way his body had managed to cope with the added 'extra'. Yes, he'd been uncomfortable at times, his internal organs had protested at being squashed and used for 'target' practice on more than one occasion but he was still here, still pregnant and so far all his organs were intact. To Duo that was a bonus. Duo looked up as Heero entered the room.
 
"Thought I'd find you in here," said Heero softly as he walked over to where his husband was sitting and placed a gentle kiss to Duo's forehead.
 
Duo smiled. "What's up?"
 
"Nurse Brown sent me to fetch you."
 
"Uh oh."
 
Heero's face changed slightly. "She said it's time for us to learn how to make up formula, feed the baby and sterilize the equipment."
 
"Shit, doesn't that woman ever stop?"
 
Heero chuckled. "You can always breast feed if you don't want to go through anymore training," he teased.
 
"You know what you can do with that idea, Heero," Duo growled.
 
"Fuck off, fuck off," chirped Barney from where he was perched on the back of the rocking chair.
 
"Couldn't have said it better myself, Barney," snickered Duo.
 
"Pretty boy. Give us a kiss," the bird continued and cocked its head to the side, beady black eyes watching the two men intently.
 
"I'll give you more than a kiss," said Heero as he offered a finger to the bird to jump on.
 
Barney looked at the offered finger and then jumped onto it. "Who's a handsome devil?" the bird cooed.
 
Heero shook his head. "Into your cage, beast," he said as he placed his finger at the cage door.
 
Barney hopped off Heero's finger and onto the perch in the cage.
 
"Stay there for a while," Heero said as he closed the door to the cage and turned to help Duo get out of the rocking chair.
 
"Piss off," chirped the bird.
 
"Maybe we should get a cat," mused Heero as he eyed the bird whilst assisting Duo out of the chair.
 
"Heero!" Duo admonished.
 
"It was just a thought," replied Heero in defense.
 
"Meow," said Barney. "Here, puss, puss, puss."
 
Heero rolled his eyes, Duo laughed.
 
* * *
 
"Ah, there you are," said the nurse as both men walked into the kitchen. Well, Heero walked, Duo sort of waddled, he was really beginning to feel the strain of carrying the baby as the latter months wore on.
 
Duo eyed the items set out on the table with suspicion, some he recognized but others he didn't and could only guess as to their use in the scheme of things. He sat down heavily on one of the chairs, Heero sitting next to him and tried to focus on the items.
 
"Seeing as how you will be bottle feeding the baby you need to learn how to prepare the formula correctly, sterilize the equipment and feed the baby. We will start by identifying all the things you will need and how to use them." The nurse turned to walk around the opposite side of the table.
 
Duo glanced at Heero who had whipped out a pen and notebook. He raised an eyebrow in question.
 
Heero gave him a sheepish grin. "After the last couple of disasters I'm taking notes," he muttered.
 
Duo decided to let it slide. He could always pinch the notes later to look at.
 
"What you see here," began the nurse, "are the basic items you will need to feed a baby and keep the equipment sterile. I take it you would already be familiar with some of the items?"
 
"Hai."
 
Duo nodded.
 
"Good. Firstly we have the bottle, teat, ring and cap." The nurse pointed to the various items as she named them.
 
Duo was beginning to feel like a first grader the way the nurse was talking to them, although given the last couple of lessons they'd endured he guessed he really couldn't blame her.
 
"We also have a bottle brush, plastic knife and spoon, measuring jug, funnel, sterilizer and sterilizing tablets. It's important to make sure that you always sterilize the utensils after use, you don't want any germs getting to the baby and causing illness..." As the nurse continued on about the importance of sterilizing the items Duo began to wonder if it wouldn't be a whole lot easier to have himself sterilized after all this. Out of the corner of his eye he could see Heero subtly crossing his legs. Looked like the word sterilization was getting to his husband as well. Duo couldn't help a small grin.
 
"After the baby has been fed you need to throw out any of the formula left in the bottle then wash the bottle and teat out with hot water. You should also give the bottle a scrub with the bottle brush..." The nurse proceeded to show them how to clean the bottle with the small brush. "And then rinse again under hot water. When you have cleaned the bottle and teat, place them to one side ready to put into the sterilizing unit. Each unit is slightly different but the basic principal is the same. Add the recommended amount of water and sterilizing tablet. Wait until the tablet has completely dissolved before adding the baby utensils. Then you simply top it up and leave to soak. Wash out thoroughly before using again."
 
"Looks easy enough," commented Duo as he eyed the items and what the nurse had just done.
 
"It is easy," said the nurse. "Just remember to follow the manufacturer's instructions and under no circumstances do you add any more than the recommended amount of chemical to the water." She glared strongly at both men as she spoke. "Adding more than the recommended amount of chemical could have disastrous results, not only for the child but the equipment as well."
 
Heero wondered exactly what sort of chemical it was and what the disaster would be. Could the bottle or teat melt? Would the chemicals give off toxic fumes and if so why the hell were they being used for sterilizing infants' feeding utensils if they were that lethal? Maybe he should investigate the chemical properties a little more before using them to cleanse something his child would be using to feed from. He didn't want his baby being poisoned. He made a note in his notebook to do some research on these chemical cleaners.
 
Duo was simply wondering if too much chemical meant that things would go boom.
 
"Formula," said the nurse bringing both men back from their thoughts. "Have you given any thought to which formula you wish to use?"
 
"There's more than one?" asked Duo.
 
"Oh, yes. In fact there are several. All vary in price but most contain the same basic ingredients."
 
"Anything in particular you would recommend?" said Heero. He thought it might be easier to find out which one the nurse thought was best and stick with buying that one, at least then he wouldn't have to be searching through hundreds of different tins of baby formula and trying to select the most appropriate one.
 
"As long as they have the recommended amounts of protein, fats, carbohydrates, vitamins and lactose you should be okay. [1] This is the one we tend to use in the maternity hospitals I've worked in over the years and I find it to be more than adequate. It's also easy to mix up and use," replied the nurse as she lifted up the blue and white tin to show the men.
 
Heero nodded and made a few more notes, especially the brand name of the tin of formula.
 
"To make the formula up you will need the bottle, measuring jug, scoop, knife and spoon. The tin will tell you how much powder to how much water. Boil the water first to make sure it's sterile then measure out the correct amount into the measuring jug." The nurse proceeded to place some boiled water into the measuring jug. "In the case of this formula it's one level scoop to every sixty milliliters. You can make up enough formula to last the day's feeds and store it in the 'fridge but throw out any unused formula after twenty four hours and make up a fresh batch. I'll make up enough for five to six feeds now, that way you can practice feeding the baby afterwards."
 
Duo glanced across at where Heero was madly scribbling away in his notebook and snickered. No doubt Heero was cataloging everything even down to how many tins of the stuff they would need each week.
 
"For six feeds I will need three hundred and sixty milliliters of boiled water..." The nurse added the water to the measuring jug, filling it up to the required level. "Now to add the powder." Nurse Brown opened the tin and took out the small scoop.
 
"They come with those things supplied?" asked Duo.
 
"Yes, they do. Each tin you buy will have a scoop inside which will hold the correct amount of powder for the amount of water. As I am making up six feeds I will need six scoops of the powder. A newborn will only drink roughly sixty milliliters of formula per feed to begin with. You can increase the amount as the baby begins to grow. Normally by two weeks of age they're drinking 120 milliliters of formula per feed and so it increases as they grow. The tin has a rough guide on the side but let your baby tell you if it needs or wants more."
 
"Ah, okay." Duo shuffled in his seat getting a little more comfortable and wondering exactly how the baby would be able to tell him if it wanted more or not when it wouldn't be able to speak properly until it was much older.
 
"Scoop the powder in and then level off with the knife. Don't be tempted to pack the powder in or pile it up as you will only end up giving the baby more protein and fat and not enough water; likewise, don't skimp on it either as the baby will go the opposite way and get too much water and not enough nourishment." The nurse dipped the scoop into the tin and brought it up, leveled it off with the knife and then added it to the water in the measuring jug. She repeated the action another five times. "Then all you need to do is mix it up." The nurse picked up the spoon and began to stir the mix, the powder dissolving and the mix turning a rich, creamy color.
 
"Once it's mixed you can cover it and store it in the 'fridge until you need it. Then all you do is take the funnel, place it in the top of the sterilized bottle and pour in the required amount." The nurse proceeded to demonstrate, pouring 60 milliliters of the formula into the bottle. Once done she placed the teat and ring over the top of the bottle and screwed the ring in place. "There you go, all ready for the baby," she said and smiled at the two men.
 
"Looks simple enough," said Heero as he eyed the table and its contents.
 
"Shouldn't get into too much trouble with feeding and cleaning the stuff," muttered Duo more to himself than anyone else.
 
'Next step is to feed the baby," said the nurse and reached for the doll. "Once you have the formula made up in the bottle you need to check that is isn't too hot or too cold. Same principal applies to testing the temperature of the formula as applies to the testing the bath water..."
 
"Wouldn't it be a bit hard to dip your elbow into the bottle?" asked Heero as he frowned, studying the size of the bottle and the size of the human elbow. "Correct me if I'm wrong but according to the laws of physics a human elbow just isn't going to fit into the top of that bottle."
 
"It wouldn't be hygienic either," added Duo. "Who knows what germs are carried on your elbow and you wouldn't want to go to all that trouble sterilizing the bottle and stuff just to contaminate it with your elbow."
 
The nurse took a deep breath and did her best to control her frustration. She narrowed her eyes and stared at the pair. "I didn't say anything about using your elbow," she began only to be interrupted by Heero.
 
"But you said to use the same principal for testing the temperature of the formula as you use for testing the bath water; the elbow."
 
"I said that the same principal applies to testing the temperature; I didn't say to use your elbow though."
 
"She's right there, Heero," snickered Duo. "She didn't say the elbow."
 
Heero gave his husband a look.
 
"If I could be allowed to finish?" said the nurse somewhat sarcastically.
 
"Please do, sorry about that," replied Duo with an innocent look.
 
"To test the temperature of the milk you would place a few drops on your wrist." Nurse Brown looked pointedly at Heero as she spoke the word wrist. "Being a sensitive area, you will know if it's too hot or too cold and the teat doesn't come into contact with your skin so there is no chance of contamination." She looked pointedly at Duo with those words.
 
"Ah, gotcha," said Duo with a smile.
 
The nurse resisted the urge to roll her eyes. "Now for the feeding bit." Nurse Brown picked up the doll and settled into a chair, picking up the bottle and preparing to show the men how to feed an infant.
 
"You didn't test the milk," said Heero as he watched carefully.
 
"I haven't had a chance yet," retorted the nurse.
 
"Surely it would make sense to test the milk first before getting the infant ready, if it's too hot there's no point in preparing to feed as the milk will have to be cooled. Likewise if it isn't warm enough then it's going to need to be..." Heero trailed off as he took in the look on the nurse's face. She was starting to turn an interesting shade of red.
 
"Heero?" said Duo softly.
 
"Hai?" Heero turned his attention to his husband.
 
"I think that now would be a good time to shut up."
 
"Acknowledged."
 
* * *
 
Feeding the infant wasn't quite as difficult as the men expected it to be. The nurse showed them how to cradle the baby in the arm with the baby's head slightly elevated and resting in the crook of the elbow with the back supported by the forearm and bottom being held securely.
 
"With the baby held in this position," began the nurse as she positioned the doll in her arms, "you can easily support the child and feed without causing any stress or strain to yourself or the infant. Once the child is in position you may need to trigger the sucking reflex for the first few days until baby gets to know. To do this you simply stroke the baby's cheek closest to you." The nurse demonstrated on the doll. "Then you gently insert the teat into the baby's mouth but be careful not to push it too far back, you don't want the child to choke."
 
"I didn't realize a baby could deep throat a bottle teat," snickered Duo to his husband as his warped mind took over.
 
"Duo! That's perverted," hissed Heero in reply.
 
"Did you say something, Duo?" asked the nurse as she slipped the teat into the doll's mouth.
 
"Ummm... No."
 
"Then pay attention."
 
"Yes, ma'am."
 
"Make sure to have the baby raised slightly, not completely horizontal otherwise it may choke. In a sort of half sitting position like this the baby should be able to breathe and swallow quite easily. As the baby sucks be aware of keeping the teat full of the formula, tilting the bottle as the formula is depleted. Babies will take in a certain amount of air as they feed, some take more than others and you need to bring that wind up after feeding so as the child doesn't become uncomfortable with wind trapped in the stomach or intestine."
 
"I guess that at this age they really can't fart so it would be logical to burp them," Heero said in all innocence.
 
A sudden silence greeted his words and Heero looked up from where he was scribbling down his notes to see Nurse Brown staring at him and his lover doing his very best not to break down into hysterical laughter. "What?" he said.
 
"Actually they can pass wind, Heero," replied the nurse in a slightly strangled tone. "But by the time it gets to that part of the anatomy the child would have been extremely uncomfortable and probably driven both you and Duo nearly insane with its cries."
 
"Aa."
 
Duo had a mental vision of Heero trying to calm a crying baby that was farting non stop and it didn't do anything to still his laughter that was determined to break free.
 
"It really isn't funny, Duo," said the nurse. "Wind can cause colic in a baby and it isn't pleasant at all."
 
"I know and I'm sorry for laughing," snickered Duo, "But I can't help it. Just the mental picture..." Duo went into another round of helpless giggles.
 
Heero rolled his eyes. "I think it would be best if you continued," he said to the nurse. "He will calm down sooner or later."
 
The nurse looked doubtful but continued anyway, demonstrating how to hold the baby against the shoulder and rub gently on the baby's back. She also showed them another way by sitting the baby on the thigh and supporting the head, rubbing and patting the back gently until the doll 'burped'.
 
Duo was watching carefully but still snickering away, he couldn't help it. He did sober up rather abruptly though when the nurse turned and faced him.
 
"Now that I've shown you both how to sterilize the equipment, make up the formula and feed the baby, I think it's time that you both had a go at doing it for yourselves. We'll start with the feeding part as we have the formula already made up. Duo, you can go first."
 
The laughter stopped as suddenly as it had started "Me?" asked Duo.
 
"Yes, you. I don't see anyone else here by the name of Duo, do you?"
 
"Ahh... Okay." Duo stood up and made his way to the opposite side of the table where all the items awaited him. "Ummm... Where was it you wanted me to start again?"
 
Nurse Brown shook her head and made a mental note to check her hair that night. She was sure that these two had added several gray ones to her head.
 
~ * ~
 
tbc..........
 
 
[1] Formula information is taken from the brand S-26 which is the most popular infant formula used here in West Aussie.