Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Chimaera ❯ Chapter 106 ( Chapter 106 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Please see previous parts for notes, disclaimers etc.
 
"Chimaera"
 
October. 2003 ShenLong
 
Chapter 106
 
 
Heero returned to the kitchen after seeing Sally off to find Duo still sitting in his place, a far away look on his face. "Penny for your thoughts," Heero said as he sat next to his husband and took Duo's hand.
 
Turning to face his partner, Duo's eyes warmed at the sight. "You don't think I'm being selfish or silly for wanting to keep my female parts, do you?"
 
"No, Duo. Your reasons for doing so make perfect sense to me."
 
"I just hope I'm making the right decision here, Heero," said Duo softly, looking to his husband for conformation.
 
"I'm sure you are, Duo. Look at it from this way; there is nothing to stop you from having them removed at a later date if you find you're not coping with them for any reason. Like Sally said, you can't put them back once they're gone. This way you're giving yourself the opportunity to see how you do."
 
Duo leaned forward and kissed his partner. "Always the logical one," he chuckled. "That's partly why I love you so much."
 
"Oh? Care to tell me what else about me you love?" Heero smiled.
 
"Great body, sharp mind, caring, tender, the way you make love, your computer skills, gentle hands, the way you turn me on without trying, your mouth and the things it does to me..."
 
"I think that's enough," replied Heero as the blush crept up his cheeks.
 
Duo simply snickered.
 
"Quatre called today," said Heero as he stood up and set about making their dinner.
 
"Really?" Duo perked up a little. "What did he want?"
 
"Trowa and he are coming to Earth for some business meetings on Tuesday. They will be here for about a week. I hope you don't mind but I invited them to stay with us. It seemed ridiculous for them to check into a hotel when we have more than enough rooms here for them to stay in and it is Quatre's place after all."
 
"It's okay, Heero."
 
"You sure?"
 
"I'd enjoy some different company. It does get a bit lonely during the day when you're at work. I know Nurse Brown is here and I have Miracle, as well as Barney but..."
 
"I understand," replied Heero and placed a kiss to the top of Duo's head.
 
"When did you say they arrive?"
 
"Tuesday. I don't know what time yet. Quatre said he would let you know once they arrive at the shuttle port what time they will be here."
 
"Great!" Duo suddenly felt a lot better, his slightly worried state over his decision being lifted with the prospect of seeing the blonde and the Latin again. While Heero continued to cook their dinner, Duo mused over the impending visit. Had he known what the coming week would hold in store, he wouldn't have been quite so light hearted.
 
***
 
The shuttle touched down and Quatre strode off it into the corridor to the main terminal, Trowa right behind him. Their baggage was unloaded and brought to the main terminal where Trowa carried them out to the car park and the vehicle Quatre had hired for their use during their stay on Earth. With the bags safely stowed in the trunk, Trowa slid behind the wheel and backed the car out, leaving the shuttle port behind them and heading for the mansion. Quatre pulled out his cell phone and punched in Duo's number to let the man know of their intended arrival time.
 
An hour later they had arrived at the gates to the mansion and waited while Harim disarmed the security temporarily so they could enter the grounds. Pulling up outside the front of the mansion's main doors, they were pleased to see Duo waiting for them, a grin on his face and his belly simply huge.
 
"Quat! Tro!" the braided man yelled as soon as the car had stopped.
 
"Duo!" responded Quatre as he got out of the car and met Duo half way up the steps to envelop the American in a bear hug. "How are you? Is the baby okay? Everything going normally? Not much longer now until the birth? Wow! You're certainly ..."
 
"Big?" supplied Duo with a laugh.
 
"Yeah, `big' just about covers it," chuckled Quatre, his eyes sparkling.
 
"I'm fine, baby is okay, all is on track and Sally will be calling over later today to do another ultrasound. At this stage she's thinking roughly three weeks and she will deliver me but it all depends on what the ultrasound shows up later on." said Duo as he replied to Quatre's eager questions.
 
Trowa had also gotten out of the car and fetched the bags from the trunk, opting to complete those tasks before greeting Duo himself. He figured by the time he'd done all that Quatre should have finished monopolizing the pregnant man and he would be able to be heard. "How are you, Duo?" he said as he stepped alongside his husband and offered his hand.
 
Duo looked at the offered hand and shook his head, grabbing the tall man and hugging him instead. "I'm well, Trowa. What about you? Blondie not giving you a hard time?"
 
Trowa chuckled as he returned the embrace, it was a little awkward given the size of Duo's belly. "I'm keeping fit and no, Quatre isn't giving me a hard time; although it depends on which 'hard' time you're talking about."
 
Duo flushed at the innuendo and was at a loss for words for a moment.
 
"Trowa!" admonished the blonde. "Don't go teasing Duo, it's not fair to him in his condition."
 
Trowa simply shrugged and gave Duo a wink. "Where shall I put the bags?"
 
"This way," replied Duo as he snickered to himself. It was good to have the other two here again and relieve some of the boredom. "We thought you would like to stay in the same room as last time, if that's not okay I can always change it for you."
 
"It will be fine, Duo," said Quatre as he followed the American inside, Trowa bringing up the rear.
 
The three went inside and up to the room Quatre and Trowa would be sharing during their stay. Duo sat on the bed while the pair emptied their bags, filling the closet with their clothing and then shoving the empty bags inside and out of sight. They chattered about nothing in particular while they unpacked, Quatre questioning Duo about his pregnancy while Trowa scolded his husband for prying too much. Duo simply laughed, he was enjoying the attention.
 
Once everything was sorted out Duo took them through to see the finished nursery. Quatre fell in love with it immediately. The soft lemon of the walls was easy on the eyes yet bright enough to see clearly. Trowa snickered as he stared at the border of nursery rhyme animals that Heero had painstakingly pasted to the walls and copped an elbow to his ribs from his husband for his trouble. The cot sat against one wall, the change table next to it and the chest of drawers with a multitude of baby products on top stood next to that. The other wall contained shelving as well as the window and the shelves were stacked with fluffy toys. A wardrobe was on the other wall which Quatre knew would contain baby clothing, blankets, as well as other linen for the cot. A small table against the wall that contained the door held further baby things, a nappy bag, sterilizing equipment, bottles and a couple of tins of formula. On the other side of the door a baby stroller stood awaiting its precious occupant.
 
"Looks like you pretty much have everything set up and ready to go," said Quatre as he walked further into the nursery.
 
"Nurse Brown said it was best to have it all organized well ahead of the baby's expected arrival, that way should anything out of the ordinary happen it's one less thing to worry about," replied Duo as he followed the blonde.
 
"Cute," said Trowa as he lifted down the stuffed lion from the shelf and turned it over in his hands.
 
"Heero picked that out," chuckled Duo.
 
Quatre wandered over to the cot where the mobile consisting of small plastic clowns swung lazily in the breeze. He reached for the center and wound the small key then released it and stood back to watch. The mobile began to turn and the soft melody of Brahms' lullaby invaded the room. The three men stood silent as the melody played, each lost in their own thoughts. Finally Quatre broke the silence.
 
"I have to admit, it's nothing short of a miracle; all this," Quatre waved his arm around the baby furniture, "it doesn't seem real somehow, and yet, it is," he added as he reached out to caress Duo's belly.
 
"I know what you mean, Quat. There are days when I have to pinch myself," replied Duo softly.
 
"I don't know how you cope, Duo," said Trowa as he replaced the stuffed lion and walked over to join the pair.
 
"It hasn't been easy. Some days I wish I'd never agreed to carry this child and then when it moves or you see it on the ultrasound, it all becomes worthwhile. The funny thing is, if I had the decision to make again, I wouldn't change a thing." The moment was broken as Duo's stomach gave a loud rumble. "Oops," he chuckled. "It's past my lunch time."
 
"I'm hungry too," said Quatre and turned to face Trowa. "What's for lunch?"
 
"Huh? Why does everyone think I'm cooking?" Trowa gave them both an inquiring look.
 
"Duo can't, he should be resting, not running around the kitchen fixing us lunch and you know I can only burn water so that leaves you," replied Quatre with a smug grin.
 
"What about Siska?" asked Trowa.
 
"She's not employed as a cook, she's a housekeeper," retorted Quatre.
 
"There's always Nurse Brown..."
 
Duo's face blanched. "Spinach ring a bell?"
 
"Maybe not then."
 
"I can always make us a sandwich," suggested Duo as they filed out of the nursery and headed for the stairs. Duo placed a hand on his lower back and rubbed at the ache spreading through his muscles.
 
"Certainly not! Duo, you are going to sit down and rest. Trowa will make us up something; he loves to cook as you know." The blonde gave his husband a look that said, 'You will make lunch or suffer the consequences.'
 
Trowa sighed. "I'll make lunch."
 
"Thanks Trowa," replied Duo as he stepped down the stairs.
 
"Good, I'm glad we got that settled. Duo, I want you to sit in the kitchen and fill us in on what's been happening with the baby since we were last here. I can help Trowa with preparation while we chat. Firstly though, I'm going to put the kettle on."
 
"I guess a cup of coffee is out of the question?" asked Duo with puppy eyes.
 
Quatre melted under the gaze. "I'm sure one cup won't hurt."
 
"Is that wise, Quatre?" questioned Trowa. "It starts with one cup and before you know it he will have drunk almost a pot full. You know what he was like with the Crunchies and the Crunchie ice cream."
 
"No one touches the Crunchies or the Crunchie ice cream," growled Duo.
 
"And it looks like he hasn't changed either."
 
* * *
 
Heero arrived home from work to be greeted by an enthusiastic Quatre and usually quiet Trowa. He could see a difference in Duo too. His husband appeared to be happier in himself and despite any reservations he may have had in regards to Quatre and his mothering tendencies he had to admit that the visit from the pair appeared to be doing Duo the world of good. They exchanged greetings but before they could catch up properly, Sally arrived to give Duo his check up.
 
Quatre and Trowa were admitted to the room that had been set up and used for Duo's examinations, much to the blonde's delight. Sally had no objection to them being there and watching the screen as long as Duo was comfortable with it. The American was okay with the presence of his friends and so the examination went ahead.
 
Quatre watched the small screen with baited breath as Sally ran the sound head over Duo's swollen abdomen. Even Trowa had to admit that seeing Duo's stomach in the flesh well and truly brought home the fact that Duo was indeed pregnant.
 
The fuzzy lines on the screen soon came into focus and the outline of the baby could be made out.
 
Quatre whistled through his teeth as he studied the images. "Wow. It's a baby," he said softly.
 
"No shit, Sherlock," snickered Duo.
 
"You know, Quatre, your intelligence never ceases to amaze me," Trowa deadpanned.
 
Quatre resisted the urge to argue back, knowing the pair were only trying to get a bite out of him. Instead he concentrated on the screen and the image there. "Doesn't look like there's much room in there," he observed.
 
"You're right, Quatre. It is getting very cramped in there and this is what concerns me the most. A woman's insides are built to move and accommodate a growing fetus, a man isn't. Duo's organs are being shoved and pushed to the side even though he's swelling outwards. The baby still has some growing to do and I'm not sure if Duo's body is going to be able to take much more before some damage could possibly occur," said Sally as she studied the screen.
 
"What sort of damage?" asked Heero in a worried tone as he clutched Duo's hand in his own.
 
"To be honest, Heero; I don't really know. This is a unique situation and we are pretty much working in the dark. I'm thinking along the lines that it could become more difficult for Duo to breathe as the baby pushes up against his lungs and reduces the size of the cavity that the lungs have to expand in. Or it could affect his digestive system. Pressure on the stomach and intestines can interfere with digestion and cause a myriad of differing problems there."
 
"I think I get the picture," muttered Duo from his prone position.
 
"What do you suggest is the best course of action, Sally?" Trowa asked as he turned his attention from the ultrasound screen to the doctor.
 
"In all honesty I'd like to get this baby born as soon as it's viable, preferably in two weeks. By that stage the lungs should have developed enough that the child will be able to breathe without the assistance of machinery and any other health risks will be minimal."
 
"Why can't you deliver it now?" asked Heero.
 
"It's not developed enough. The chances are it would survive but it could also have a lot of complications too. The main problem is breathing. The lungs aren't formed well enough for the baby to be able to breathe on its own and survive. It would need to be put on a ventilator until it has progressed further in its development. I really can't put it any simpler than that. There are other complications too, such as retaining body heat, digestion and the like, and they all pose a completely different and complicated set of problems themselves. No, I think if Duo's body can hold on for another two weeks we should be able to deliver a healthy, happy baby." Sally lifted the sound head away and wiped the gel from it.
 
"I suppose that means I have to rest," muttered Duo as he pulled his sweats back up over his abdomen and offered his arm to Sally for the blood pressure cuff.
 
"It is even more important now that you don't put your body under any stress," replied Sally as she took the man's blood pressure and then went on to check his ankles for swelling.
 
"If I sit on my arse for much longer I swear I'm going to have pressure sores there," grumbled Duo. He really wasn't used to all this inactivity. Duo was normally a very energetic person and he missed being active.
 
"I'll kiss them better for you," Heero whispered into Duo's ear and caused his husband to shiver.
 
"Are you cold?" asked Sally as she noted the shiver.
 
"Uh, no. I'm fine," replied Duo and gave Heero a warning glare. Trowa snickered on the other side, knowing full well what must have transpired between the two given Heero's smug look.
 
"Your blood pressure is a little elevated but not enough to be worried about. There is some swelling and fluid retention in your ankles but no more than last time which is good." Sally turned away and replaced the equipment back where she had fetched it from. She fished her diary out of her bag and thumbed through the pages. "I'd like to book this C-section for two weeks tomorrow."
 
"Fine with me. Heero?" Duo turned to look at his husband.
 
"Whatever you think is best," said Heero.
 
"Right." Sally scribbled in her diary and then closed the book. "I'll stop by in another three days to do another scan, meanwhile, rest, take it easy and if you have any problems, let me know straight away." Sally gave Duo a stern look before turning her attention to Heero. "I suggest you speak with Une to arrange your paternity leave, Heero. You are entitled to eight weeks off and Duo is going to need you to help all you can with the baby when he first brings it home. I know you will have Nurse Brown here as well but she will still be working at the hospital and will mainly be your back up and adviser."
 
Duo and Heero exchanged looks, communicating with their eyes and not voice. Quatre could pick up on the unspoken words, as could Trowa and both knew that Heero and Duo would be doing everything for the child themselves.
 
"Okay, Sally. I'll speak with Une first thing tomorrow."
 
"Good. Now I'm sure you gentlemen have lots to catch up on so I won't keep you, besides, I have a dinner date and I don't want to be late." Sally smiled broadly and picked up her bag. She dropped her diary into it and headed for the door. "I'll see myself out."
 
"Thanks, Sally," said Duo as he stood up with Heero's assistance.
 
"Arigato."
 
"We will catch up with you before we go back to L4," added Quatre.
 
"Say hello to Wufei for us," came Trowa's reply.
 
Three men turned to look at the fourth, who promptly hid behind his bang.
 
"What?" he questioned.
 
Sally simply laughed. "I will, Trowa," she shot back and then left.
 
* * *
 
The Wednesday saw Quatre and Trowa head off into the city for the first of the business meetings scheduled for that week. Heero left for work and Duo found himself with the company of Barney and Miracle once again. Nurse Brown had gone back to her own home to check up on things, promising to return within a couple of hours and making sure that Duo had her cell phone number should he need her for any reason. Duo was feeling a little out of sorts, being deserted again but he consoled himself with the knowledge that he would soon have everyone's company again.
 
As a distraction he cleaned out Barney's cage and tried to teach the bird some new words; only Barney seemed quite happy with his current vocabulary and not in the least bit interested in learning anything new.
 
Duo didn't dare trespass into Nurse Brown's quarters and try to teach Fred anything.
 
The day passed and soon enough the three ex pilots returned. Heero had spoken with Une and organized his paternity leave, which had been granted. Quatre was understandably tired, the meetings having drained him emotionally and mentally rather than physically and the Arab businessman was looking forwards to a long soak in the tub, preferably with Trowa.
 
Trowa was in better shape than Quatre, having somehow managed to perfect the art of being able to sit in on these sorts of meetings and appear to be listening intently, while in actual fact he was busy catching up on some snooze time. Nurse Brown had gone to work and Siska had surprised them all by cooking a dinner for them. Whilst it wasn't a part of her duties she often cooked something for Duo and Heero. She said she enjoyed it and it gave her the chance to fuss over them both a little. Nurse Brown also cooked from time to time, usually on the days she wasn't working, so all in all Heero and Duo were pretty well looked after in the food department; if you didn't mind spinach that is.
 
Sitting around the table and eating their dinner of beef stew with dumplings, the conversation turned to Quatre and the meetings he was attending.
 
"They're all to do with a new deal Winner Enterprises is trying to set up on the earth," Quatre said when Duo asked him about the reason for the meetings.
 
"What sort of deal would that be?" Heero asked in interest.
 
"It's sort of like a half-way house thing. A place for ex-military personnel to go and stay while they get themselves sorted out."
 
"Aa."
 
Trowa took up the explanation. "As you know a lot of ex-soldiers suffer from a number of different 'sicknesses' after the wars. Most are mental ones and accordingly they spend time in the psyche hospitals. Once they have reached a certain point in their treatment it's no longer necessary for them to remain in the hospital but they still require further treatment to help them fit back into society. A lot of them don't have family left for different reasons and there isn't anywhere for them to stay while they make that final transition."
 
"It's WEI's intention to build these half-way houses and fill that gap. It will give these veterans somewhere safe to stay while they complete the last of their therapy," Quatre finished.
 
"I see,“ said Heero.
 
"Sounds like an excellent idea to me, Quatre. I wish you all the best with it." Duo gave the blonde a smile.
 
"It's all pretty much in the final planning stages now, hence the meetings. All that's left really is to sort out the staff needed to run the houses. So far we have five built and in the fitting out stage, as I like to call it. Once that's complete we only need to staff the centers and away it will go."
 
"Boring meetings if you ask me," said Trowa.
 
Duo chuckled. He knew how much Trowa hated to attend these meetings but he usually went along to not only help keep Quatre company and offer support when needed but also to protect his husband. Not that Quatre needed protecting; he hadn't been a Gundam pilot and survived the war himself without knowing something about taking care of himself.
 
"You really don't have to come along, Trowa. I did say that," Quatre stated as he turned to face his partner.
 
"I know," replied Trowa.
 
"Why don't you stay here and keep Duo company? It must be pretty lonely for him with Heero out at work all day and only Nurse Brown for company, not that I'm saying the nurse isn't good company," Quatre was quick to add.
 
"I think I just might do that," replied Trowa and then turned to face Duo. "That okay with you?"
 
"Sure, Tro. I do get kinda bored by myself, it would be cool to have someone different to hang out with." Duo gave the tall Latin a warm smile.
 
"Okay then, that's settled. I'll stay here and keep Duo company while you attend the rest of the meetings if you're sure you don't need me," Trowa said and then turned back to eating his dinner.
 
"I'll be fine to finish up the last of the organizing. It's only paperwork that has to be finished now and I'm certain I can handle that without the need for you to be there. It's all pretty much straight forward and I can't see anything untoward happening. I mean, it's not like I'm going to be attacked by the paperwork; buried under it maybe, swamped, yes; but not killed by it," Quatre grinned.
 
If only he'd known how wrong he was going to be.
 
~ * ~
 
tbc...