Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Chimaera ❯ Chapter 109 ( Chapter 109 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Please see previous parts for disclaimer, notes etc.
 
"Chimaera"
 
October. 2003 ShenLong
 
 
 
Chapter 109
 
[Mansion]
 
Trowa listened carefully as Heero gave him a brief outline of the current situation at the Glasshouse and what Preventer intended to do. "I'm going too," he stated. "Heero, if you and Wufei are going to infiltrate and take these guys down then I want to be there to help."
 
"No, that is not possible, Trowa. You're a civilian and this is a Preventer operation. I cannot allow you to be present," came Heero's reply.
 
Duo listened absently to the one sided conversation, an uneasy feeling was developing in his abdomen, a sort of dull ache and he wasn't too sure what it was.
 
"Bullshit! That's my husband in there being held hostage and I intend to help get him out alive."
 
There were a few more heated exchanges between the pair. Duo remained sitting on the couch, half listening to the conversation and half watching the television, absently rubbing his stomach as another twinge of mild pain passed through the abdominal muscles. He could understand Trowa's need to help, to rescue his husband but he could also appreciate Preventer's role and Trowa being there would only complicate matters. He ran a hand over his swollen belly wishing he could be present to assist in the operation. Duo knew that Trowa was excellent when it came to infiltration but out of them all, he was the best for stealth and infiltration and that's exactly what this mission needed right now.
 
Life sucked sometimes.
 
Duo began to bite his fingernails. Knowing that Heero was going to be involved in taking out this group set his nerves on edge. While risks and life threatening situations were all a part of the job, and he knew Heero had to do his job, he couldn't help but worry if his partner would be all right. To say he was uneasy would be an understatement. Another wave of dull pain spread through his abdomen and Duo drew in a deep breath, feeling a little nauseous.
 
"I'll give you his number but I'm calling him too, I need to know he's okay and what's happening. Yuy, I don't give a shit, I want in on this operation and you can tell Une to shove the protocol..."
 
Duo suddenly cried out causing Trowa's attention to be momentarily distracted from his argument with Heero.
 
Nurse Brown was beside the pregnant man in a flash. "Duo? Duo? What's wrong? What's happening?"
 
"Don't know. Not sure," Duo gasped out as a sharp pain built in his gut and then eased a little to a dull ache.
 
Over the 'phone line, Heero had heard the cry of pain from his husband. "Trowa? What's wrong with Duo?"
 
Trowa looked across to the nurse. "What's wrong?" he asked.
 
"I'm not sure but I think he could be going into premature labor," replied the nurse with a worried look.
 
"The nurse thinks Duo might be going into labor," Trowa informed Heero as he cast a nervous glance at the long haired man.
 
A string of curses and panicked words flowed through the line and Trowa had to hold the 'phone away from his ear momentarily. "Stay with him, Trowa. Hold on a sec." Heero disappeared off the line for a moment.
 
While waiting for Heero to return to their conversation, Trowa cast another worried look at the nurse and Duo. If Duo was going into labor then this presented a whole new ball game.
 
"Barton?"
 
Trowa focused back on the 'phone. "Yuy?"
 
"Stay with him, please. I have to complete this mission, Une will not allow me to desert under any circumstance as there isn't anyone else and Wufei cannot go in alone. Call Sally and let her know what's happening and take him to Preventer hospital. I'll try and get through this mission as quickly as possible and meet you at the hospital. Trowa...?"
 
Trowa could hear the pain and agitation in Heero's voice, and he felt for the man torn between his duty to his job and protecting the peace, and his love for his husband and unborn child. Trowa was in a similar situation himself, wanting nothing more than to go in and rescue his husband but unable to desert his friend in his moment of need either. "Yes, Heero?"
 
"I know how much you want to be in on this and help Quatre; believe me when I say I would have no hesitation in swapping places with you right now if I could. Duo means more to me than anything but Une will not allow me to leave. Please, take care of him until I can get there and I will take care of Quatre for you in return." There was a distinct crack in Heero's voice as he spoke.
 
"You have my word, Heero. You make sure to look after Quatre for me and stay safe yourself. Duo needs you, Heero. The baby needs you so make certain you come through this unharmed; Wufei too."
 
"Arigato, Trowa. Tell Duo..." Heero's voice began to break.
 
"Here, tell him yourself," Trowa replied softly and walked towards the couch where Nurse Brown was fussing over Duo. He handed the 'phone over to Duo who took it with a grateful look.
 
"Heero?"
 
"Duo? I'm sorry I'm not there right now, little mother. Please, listen to what Nurse Brown tells you and do as Sally says. Trowa will stay with you until I can get there. Une won't let me leave and I can't desert Quatre..."
 
"Heero... It's okay. I understand. Just stay alive, get Quat out safe and I'll see you at the hospital. I'll be waiting for you," replied Duo with a grimace as pain washed over him again.
 
"I'll be there as soon as I can. Love you."
 
"Love you too, Hee-chan." Duo thrust the 'phone back at Trowa and grabbed his belly as the contraction began to build.
 
"God speed, Heero."
 
"Yuy, out."
 
Trowa closed the cell 'phone and stared at the wall, lost in thought for a moment. Short of telling Une where to stick her job, which Trowa had no doubts Heero would have done if Quatre hadn't been involved, there was no way that Heero could leave. With Heero going in to save his husband, the very least Trowa could do was stay with Heero's husband and help him as much as possible in return. Trowa turned to the pair at the couch. "What can I do to help?" he asked.
 
"Sit with him for a moment while I call Doctor Po," replied the nurse.
 
"Umm... Shouldn't I be boiling water or fetching towels or something?"
 
The nurse raised and eyebrow. "What for?"
 
"Isn't that what they do when someone goes into labor?"
 
"I think you have been watching too many movies," chuckled the nurse. "They only did that to give the husband something to occupy himself with while the midwife got on with the job of delivering the child. No, sit with him, keep him calm while I make my 'phone call."
 
"Oh, okay." Trowa felt a little silly but took up residence next to Duo on the couch. "How are you feeling?" he asked as he placed a comforting hand on Duo's arm.
 
"Not too good, Tro." Duo looked very pale with sweat beading on his brow.
 
"How's the pain? What's it like?"
 
"Hard to describe. It's sort of like a cramping sensation that starts out as a dull ache but builds up and then disappears. It doesn't last very long at the moment and I've only had a couple..." Duo trailed off and turned to look at Trowa, his violet eyes wide. "Trowa? I'm scared. I want Heero." Duo's bottom lip quivered as he fought to hold his composure.
 
"Oh, Duo," Trowa soothed and pulled the braided man into his arms, rubbing his back and offering what comfort he could.
 
* * *
 
[Preventer HQ]
 
Heero glowered at Une but the woman wouldn't budge. She really didn't have any choice. Agents Fire and Day were her best two agents and she needed them both to bring this fiasco to a swift end. Her heart bled for the agent before her, wanting nothing more than to let him go and be with his partner but if she did that then the chances were all the hostages would die. No, Une had to stand firm here and play the part of cold hearted bitch. Her only consolation in this entire mess was that Duo should be well looked after by Sally Po. Despite the unusual circumstances, okay, completely weird circumstances that Duo was pregnant, Une had the utmost faith in Sally and her abilities.
 
Heero was seething, only barely managing to control his anger at being denied leaving to go to his husband. The logical part of his mind was telling him he really didn't have any choice in the matter, people's lives were at stake here; Quatre's life was at stake and he'd promised Trowa he would look after Quatre. He took a small measure of comfort in knowing that Trowa would do everything in his power to look after Duo for him; it was only fair he did the same for his friend.
 
"I think I have a way in," said Wufei as he glanced up from his studying of the blue prints. "If we can find out how many and the fire power we can coordinate much more efficiently."
 
Heero punched in the number Trowa had given him and hoped to whatever god was listening that Quatre would pick up and not someone else.
 
Someone up there must have been listening and Heero sent a silent prayer of thanks as Quatre's voice came down the line.
 
* * *
 
[Inside the Glasshouse.]
 
Quatre's cell 'phone rang and he tugged it from his pocket, hitting the accept button as quick as he could. He didn't recognize the caller number but immediately knew the voice.
 
"Winner."
 
"Quatre, it's Heero. I don't know what your situation is but we need information for our infiltration to be successful."
 
Understanding what Heero needed, Quatre did his best to pass on what information he could without attracting suspicion. Jackson was already walking in his direction and not looking happy at all. "Ah, Henderson. Now isn't really a good time to call about buying and selling. Okay, okay. Buy the nine viable... companies and get rid of the five that are proving to be nothing but trouble. I'm fully aware of their semi automatic status on the market so be aware of traps... Hey!" Quatre yelled loudly enough that Heero would be able to hear and know there was a problem as the 'phone was snatched away from him.
 
"Who the hell is it and what the fuck do you think you're doing?" snarled Jackson.
 
"It's just my stockbroker. He calls every day regarding the market and what stocks, shares or companies we should buy or sell," snapped Quatre.
 
That little rebuke cost Quatre a backhand to the mouth.
 
"I don't care who it is, they can fuck off and leave this line clear," Jackson bellowed to the room and down the 'phone, then terminated the call before reaching for Quatre again and hauling him to his feet. "As for you," Jackson punched Quatre in the gut. "Any more stunts like that and you will be the next one to taste a lead aspirin." [1] Jackson dropped Quatre back to his seat and walked off, Quatre's cell 'phone in his hand.
 
Quatre watched him go as he sucked air back into his deprived lungs. He ran the back of his hand across his lips and swallowed the metallic tasting blood that had filled his mouth. He prayed fervently to Allah that Heero would be able to decrypt his message.
 
* * *
 
[Preventer HQ]
 
Heero pocketed his 'phone and looked at the two people in front of him. His mind ran the cryptic message over and over as he relayed the conversation to Une and Wufei. The sound of flesh connecting with flesh and the accompanying grunt of pain told him that Quatre had been on the receiving end of some form of brutality. Heero's anger went up a notch.
 
"Nine viable companies," Wufei mused.
 
"Five bad ones," Une added.
 
"Five terrorists and nine hostages," said Heero as he put two and two together.
 
"They must be toting semi automatics," added Wufei.
 
"And there could be the possibility of traps set," Une thought out loud.
 
"Sounds feasible. How do you plan on getting us in?" Heero turned to look at the blueprints.
 
"Here," Wufei pointed to a spot on the blue prints. "We enter through the air conditioning ducts in the basement, work our way up from there."
 
"That's twelve flights, Chang," Heero growled.
 
"I know, but we can't exactly use the stairs now, can we?" Wufei stated. "We don't know if they have any form of surveillance set up and Winner did say something about traps. The stairwell, elevators could all be rigged, we don't know what traps await."
 
"Makes sense to me," said Une. "Judging by the prints the shafts are fairly wide so it shouldn't be too difficult to get through them."
 
"Where exactly on the twelfth floor are they?" Wufei asked.
 
"Here." Heero pointed to the floor plan.
 
"Okay. The quickest way I can see to get through and up to the floor as well as the room is this way." Wufei outlined the intended route. "Once we have made it to the floor there are two air ducts in the room the hostages are being held in. We should be able to determine their positions in the room and the best plan of attack from there."
 
"Roger. Let's get this show on the road then before we have any more casualties," said Heero as he stood up.
 
"Go change and then meet me in the weapons room for allocation of firearms and communications equipment," said Une as she also stood up. "I'll contact the negotiator and have him speak with the terrorists to see what we can do to keep them from killing anyone else."
 
Heero nodded and strode out, Chang on his heels. Heero wanted this mission completed post haste. He had a lover to be with. Fear tore at his gut, his mind churned over with various scenarios, none of them pleasant and he had to force himself to concentrate on the mission at hand and not his husband. Duo would be looked after, of that he had no doubt. It didn't mean he had to like it though.
 
* * *
 
[Outside the Glasshouse.]
 
"Holy shit!" cried Paul as he ran towards the van. He could see Phil vomiting to the side and glanced at the corpse on the van roof before adding his own lunch to the garden bed.
 
"Who is it?" asked Jasmine as she also ran up.
 
"Dunno," replied Phil as he wiped the back of his hand across his mouth.
 
Jasmine was fully aware of the police heading in their direction. "Quick, get it on tape, Paul," she barked.
 
Paul did his best to keep his guts inside his body as he heaved the camera up to his shoulder again and began to film.
 
"As you can see, these terrorists obviously mean business. Whatever it is they are demanding they are not about to sit back and wait patiently for their demands to be met."
 
Jasmine was cut off as several burly police officers arrived. "I'm afraid you will have to stop transmitting those images," one of the officers said as he blocked the camera lens.
 
"Officer, this is freedom of the press, the public has a right to know," Jasmine stated. She wasn't about to let her scoop pass her by.
 
"The public doesn't need to see this sort of morbidity, ma'am. I'm sure that if it was one of your loved ones that had just been killed like this you wouldn't want their image plastered all over the television screens. Besides, there might be children watching."
 
Paul agreed and lowered his camera.
 
"Now I'm going to have to ask you to move away from the vehicle and back beyond the tape, please." The officer went to guide the reporter and her crew to the other side of the tape the other officers were setting up, segregating the van from the public.
 
"But that's got all our monitoring and feed equipment in it, we need it to continue to transmit to the station," replied Jasmine.
 
"Not any more it isn't. It's now a part of a crime scene and hereby classified as evidence."
 
"What the hell are we supposed to do now? We can't transmit without the van!" Jasmine was becoming more and more upset as she watched her scoop slipping between her fingers.
 
Phil pulled the woman to one side. "I'll call the station and get them to send another van down here pronto. Meanwhile we can still film, we just can't go live or send through until the replacement van arrives."
 
Sighing loudly, Jasmine conceded. "Okay. Call them."
 
Phil proceeded to do just that while Paul and Jasmine moved back beyond the new set of tape.
 
* * *
 
[Mansion]
 
"Doctor Po's office, quickly. This is an emergency," said Nurse Brown down the line.
 
"Po here."
 
"Sally, it's Margaret. Listen, Duo has had a bad emotional shock and he's going into premature labor."
 
"Shit!"
 
"Contractions are sporadic, not too bad in intensity and lasting anywhere from thirty seconds to three minutes. It's early stages."
 
"Right. Keep him calm and continue to monitor. Do you have transport?"
 
"Yes."
 
"Okay. Get him here as fast as you can. Monitor his blood pressure and the fetal heart beat, and don't let him panic, any further stress could be disastrous to both him and the baby. I'll get everything ready for him here."
 
"Will do."
 
"Contact me on this number once you are mobile with an ETA," Sally gave the nurse the number of her emergency cell 'phone. "I don't need to tell you to be careful when driving in."
 
"Thanks. I'll contact you once we are on our way. I have Trowa Barton coming with me."
 
"Where the hell is Heero? Oh, yes, I forgot, he's here at work. Leave Heero to me, I'll contact him."
 
"I'm afraid that won't be possible. The cause of Duo's emotional shock is related to Mr. Barton's partner Mr. Winner and Heero has been called away to assist in taking care of that situation. I don't know all the details but I'm sure if you contact the commander she will be able to fill you in."
 
Several colorful words came down the line. "Damn Une! She knows the risks involved with Duo's condition. He needs Heero with him. Shit! Okay, leave it with me and I'll see what I can do. Get him in here as quickly and safely as you can. Come direct to the emergency doors and I'll be waiting for you. Po out."
 
Nurse Brown returned the receiver to its cradle and spun on her heel. She headed directly up the stairs to fetch the portable blood pressure unit and stopped at Duo's room to retrieve the pregnant man's bag. With items in hand she shot down the stairs and back into the lounge room where Trowa was doing his best to comfort an obviously distressed Duo.
 
"Duo, I want to take your blood pressure and check the baby. Once I've done that I'm going to take you to the hospital where Sally is waiting for you."
 
"It hurts," sniffled Duo. The pressure in his gut was becoming more painful with each contraction.
 
"I know," crooned the nurse, "I know. I can't give you anything for the pain though until Sally has seen you." Nurse Brown turned to Trowa. "Go get the car and bring it around to the front. Throw in a couple of pillows and blankets and let Harim know what's happening."
 
Trowa nodded and shot to his feet to carry out the orders. Miracle sat up and placed a paw on Duo's knee. She'd been lying on the carpet listening and watching the events unfold. She didn't understand what was going on but she could sense her master was in trouble. She gave a low whine and licked Duo's hand.
 
Upstairs Barney bounced on his perch. "Shit's gonna hit the fan! Shit's gonna hit the fan," he squawked. "Oh fuck!"
 
* * *
 
tbc....
 
[1] Lead aspirin: slang term for a bullet.