Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Chimaera ❯ Chapter 118 ( Chapter 118 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Please see previous chapters for disclaimer, notes etc.
 
Chimaera
 
October 2003 ShenLong.
 
Chapter 118
 
[Outside the Glasshouse]
 
Having spoken with the police officers, Une began to retrace her steps to the Preventer 'base camp'. Her com unit went off and Agent Winter's voice informed her they had reached the twelfth floor and were about to enter the conference room. She swung her binoculars up and focused quickly. She could just make out the figures of Yuy and Winner before they disappeared from sight. She gave a small sigh of relief and reached for her com unit.
 
"Agents Fire and Day, do you copy?"
 
"Agent Fire here. Agent Day is currently unavailable."
 
"Status, Chang, now!"
 
"One senator dead, four terrorists disabled and unconscious. Remaining senators all okay apart from possible shock. Military personnel all okay. What is the status of Jackson?"
 
"Dead. What is the status of Winner and Yuy?"
 
"Winner seems to have pulled muscles, dislocated shoulder and numerous lacerations. Agent Day is in worse shape. Bullet wound to the left thigh, severe laceration to the upper right bicep, numerous other lacerations to the upper torso and muscle damage; pulled, strained or torn, I'm not sure," Wufei replied as he watched the Major attending to Heero's wounds while one of the Preventer agents did his best to patch up Quatre with the meager first aid kit they carried.
 
"What about you, Chang?"
 
"I'm fine," growled Wufei, ignoring the cuts that adorned his own body from his impromptu wrestling with the shattered glass of the broken window when he'd made his lunge to assist Heero in holding onto Quatre.
 
Une didn't believe him for a minute. "Roger that. I'll have an ambulance on stand-by to transport Agent Day, Winner and yourself to the Preventer hospital for treatment. F Troop can clean up and take care of the terrorists. The senators and military will be required to accompany the agents to headquarters for debriefing."
 
"How is Duo?" Heero had managed to get his com unit off his belt, despite the attention of the Major and the first aid he was rendering.
 
Une hesitated for a moment and then decided to come clean. "I spoke with Doctor Po a few minutes ago. The drugs haven't been successful. She wants to take him through to surgery and perform the C-section as soon as possible."
 
"Fuck!" Heero began to push the Major away.
 
"Agent Fire, can you get Agent Day and Winner out of the building as quickly as possible? I'll have the ambulance here ready to transport you all to the hospital."
 
"Roger that."
 
"Check with Agent Winter in regards to the status of the elevators, you may need to come down via the stairwell."
 
Wufei turned to the agent. "What is the status on the elevators?"
 
"Unknown. The stairwells are clear, only one trap set and that was on the doors opening to this level," replied Winter.
 
"Shit. We need to get these guys out of here pronto. There's no way that Yuy can make it down the stairs with his injuries, we need the elevator."
 
"Sir? I'll go and check them, see if they are clear," said Snow stepping forward.
 
"Thank you." Wufei turned back to the com unit.
 
"I can manage the stairs, Chang," growled Heero as he tried to stand.
 
"I think not," replied Wufei as he grabbed the falling man. "You need help, Yuy."
 
"Duo needs me, Chang. I've wasted enough time here, now let me go," Heero stated as he struggled against the other agent.
 
"No. Duo needs you, yes; but in one piece. A couple more minutes won't hurt you. You would only get as far as one floor before we have word on the elevators, now sit down, conserve your energy and shut up." Wufei gently pushed Heero into the chair the Major had brought across and gave the Japanese man a look that said he wasn't about to take no for an answer.
 
"He's right, Heero," said Quatre. "Duo needs you conscious and if you push yourself much more you'll be of no use at all. In fact, you'll probably end up in the same theater and I don't mean watching a movie."
 
"Agent Fire?" Une's voice came of the com unit again, obviously irritated at being ignored.
 
"Elevators are being checked now," replied Wufei.
 
***
 
Agent Snow took two other agents with him and approached the elevators. He didn't think they would be booby trapped but he wasn't about to shirk his duty. Approaching the first of the three elevator doors he outlined his plan to the other agents.
 
"This elevator is on the ground floor which means if there are any traps set they will be between here and the ground floor. I'm going to get these doors open and go down the inside of the shaft. If there are any traps I should be able to locate them and hopefully diffuse them as I go. Once I reach the car I'll enter it through the trap door on the top, clear it of anything suspicious and then ride it back up here."
 
The other two agents nodded.
 
"If for any reason I don't make it, you are to repeat this performance in the next shaft. Got it?"
 
"Yeah, got it."
 
"Right, help me to get these doors open then." Snow produced what looked like a crow bar from his pack to prize the doors open with. One of the agents gave him an odd look. "What?" said Snow and then added with a grin, "I used to be a boy scout."
 
Shaking his head the agent passed no comment, preferring to save his energy to pull the doors open. Five minutes later, Snow was on top of the elevator car, preparing to enter it and ride it back up.
 
"Piece of cake," he said as he stepped out.
 
The three agents returned to the conference room and passed on the information regarding the elevator.
 
"Mother Earth, do you copy?"
 
"Go ahead, Agent Fire."
 
"Elevator one is cleared and operational. Agent Day, Winner, Major Klein and myself will be coming down in a few minutes."
 
"Roger that, Agent Fire. I have the medic standing by. Ambulance is en route from Preventer base as the other one has been used to transport Jackson's remains to the morgue. ETA fifteen minutes."
 
"Okay. Fire out."
 
"Wufei?"
 
"Yes?"
 
"Well done. Mother Earth, out."
 
Wufei clipped the com unit back onto his belt with a small smile and then turned to the others. "Come on, Yuy. We have to get you to the hospital, you have a baby waiting to be born."
 
"He's about to become a father?" asked Major Klein with a look of shock.
 
"Ah, yes," replied Wufei as he realized his mistake.
 
"His partner is also an agent with Preventer and is currently in labor," said Quatre, trying to cover up the mistake. "We really don't have time to chit chat, he needs to be there for the birth."
 
"Of course, of course," muttered the Major, none the wiser as to Heero's partner's gender. While Duo's name had been spoken none of them had made reference to Duo's sex. "Let's get you moving, lad, and down to that ambulance, your wife needs you."
 
It was all Wufei could do not to burst out laughing at the look on Heero's face when the Major said 'wife'; although he was pretty sure if you dressed Maxwell up in a skirt and left his hair loose the man could successfully imitate a female.
 
"Not one word, Chang," hissed Heero as the Major helped him to stand.
 
"My lips are sealed," snickered Wufei but made a mental note to tease both Heero and Duo with it at a later, more appropriate time. With Quatre's less damaged arm around his shoulders, Wufei assisted the blonde to the elevator, a few steps behind Heero and the Major.
 
Back in the conference room, Agent Winter set his 'Troop' to work, cuffing the still unconscious terrorists, checking the body of the deceased senator and generally 'mopping up'.
 
* * *
 
[Preventer Hospital]
 
Sally pulled the cell 'phone from her pocket and hit the button. "Po."
 
"Sally, it's Une. I have an update for you."
 
"Go ahead." Sally listened carefully as Une passed on the details of Yuy and Winner's condition. "What about Wufei?"
 
"Agent Fire said he was okay but I don't believe that to be the entire truth, although I don't think he is in any way injured to the extent of the other two," said Une.
 
Sally sighed and ran a hand through her hair. "I have the operating theater on stand by. Staff are all here and ready to go."
 
"Somehow I don't think Yuy is going to want to go to surgery," replied Une.
 
"No problem. Have the medics take care of him in the ambulance on the way in, that should stabilize him enough. I'll contact the ambulance once it's on its way and speak with the medics to ascertain the exact condition of Yuy and work from there. Once they arrive I can check him over myself and see if he can wait until I've finished with Duo."
 
"Okay. Any further news on Maxwell?"
 
"Not really. The contractions have returned but he's being stubborn and refusing to go anywhere until Heero gets here. I'm getting rather worried about him. Another contraction like the last one and he could be in serious trouble. As much as I don't want to do it, I'm going to pull rank on him and leave him with no choice."
 
"Good luck, you're going to need it," sighed Une.
 
"You don't have to remind me," growled Sally.
 
"Sally?"
 
"Yes?"
 
"Jackson's body is on its way in to the Preventer morgue. Once all this is over with I'd like you to perform the autopsy."
 
"No problem. Won't be for a while though."
 
"That's fine, you have more than enough to deal with at the moment with a psychotic Maxwell."
 
Sally laughed, it felt good to laugh and ease a little of the tension building up in her. "Thanks, Une. I'll be in touch."
 
"Roger that."
 
Sally hit the disconnect button and slipped the 'phone back into her pocket. Taking a deep breath she steeled herself for the argument she knew was about to come once she informed Duo that she wasn't going to wait any longer to deliver his baby.
 
***
 
[Television Crew]
 
The two technicians, camera man and reporter all watched in shock as Jackson plummeted to the ground. Jasmine had enough sense to turn her microphone off after Paul's words. They couldn't believe what was going on as they observed the police swarming towards the point of impact.
 
Paul cursed under his breath about the loss of his camera; Phil was silently thankful that they had been prevented from filming anymore. Jasmine was too stunned to think about anything in particular while Terry was wondering what his chances would be of sneaking closer and getting a look.
 
"I'll bet he's pretty mangled," said Terry as he watched the police cordoning off the area.
 
Three sets of eyes turned in disbelief to face the technician.
 
"I don't believe I heard you say that," said Phil, shaking his head.
 
"Oh, come on. You can't tell me you're not a bit curious to know what he looks like?" snorted Terry. "Wouldn't surprise me if he's been splattered into pieces, the way he hit the concrete. He'd have to be dead, there's no way he could survive that."
 
Jasmine turned around to face the sleazy tech, her eyes pierced into him as her body shook with rage. "How dare you!" she snarled.
 
Terry took a step back.
 
"As much as I disagree with terrorism in any form, no one deserves to die like that."
 
"I agree with you," retorted Terry. "Got off too lightly if you ask me. Took the coward's way out. He should have stood trial for what he did and then faced the death penalty. Pretty cheap of him to cop out like that; damn sissy."
 
"You're an asshole, you know that? A sleazy, underhanded asshole," Jasmine hissed. "Get out of here now before I have the cops arrest you."
 
"You can't have me arrested, I haven't done anything," smirked Terry.
 
"Sexual harassment?" said Jasmine with a raised eyebrow.
 
"That's a load of bullshit and you know it. Besides, you have nothing to back up a claim like that." Terry was beginning to look a little annoyed.
 
"Doesn't she?" questioned Paul. He'd never liked the tech. "I'm sure Phil and I can give adequate statements to the police in regards to your comments earlier."
 
Phil nodded in agreement, he wasn't fond of this upstart either.
 
"This is a conspiracy," muttered Terry.
 
"You bet it is," stated Jasmine. "Now, get out of here."
 
Cursing and swearing under his breath, Terry left.
 
"Thanks, guys," said Jasmine as she turned to the other two men.
 
"Anytime," they replied in unison.
 
"Now what?" sighed Jasmine as she spotted a police officer walking towards them. "Officer?"
 
The police officer stopped and gazed at the three before speaking. "I have been asked by Preventer Commander Une to inform you that there will be no more live verbal broadcast from here."
 
"But..."
 
"Please, let me finish."
 
Jasmine shut up.
 
"You will be issued with statements from the police and Preventer which you may broadcast, anything else will be deemed in violation of investigation of a police and Preventer case. I'm sure you don't want your employer sued because you refuse to cooperate?"
 
Jasmine knew they were defeated and she nodded. "Fine."
 
"Thank you. I will present you with a statement to broadcast very shortly. Oh, in return for being so cooperative you will be given exclusive rights to report on this case once all the findings are complete. Commander Une has specifically noted that your station will be issued with the report and whether you choose to share that information with other press related companies is up to you." The officer gave them a small smile and returned to his captain to fetch the statement.
 
"Well," began Jasmine as she smiled at the other two. "I guess we can live with that."
 
Phil and Paul agreed.
 
The officer returned and handed the woman a few sheets of paper which Jasmine eagerly scanned. "We can report this now?" she asked.
 
"Yes, ma'am. I will remain here to ensure that you report only what is in the statement."
 
"No problem." Jasmine turned to Phil. "My mic is still connected?"
 
Phil went inside the van and checked. "All functional. All you have to do is turn it on."
 
"Thanks." Jasmine quickly glanced at the papers again, cleared her throat and then turned on her microphone. "This is Jasmine Marshall, live at the Glasshouse..."
 
***
 
[Preventer Hospital]
 
Duo was still refusing to allow Nurse Brown or Trowa to convince him he needed to be prepped for an emergency C-section when Sally stepped back into the room. Before the doctor could say a word, the television's speaker suddenly hissed into life.
 
"This is Jasmine Marshall, live at the Glasshouse. My apologies for the cut in transmission. We are still working on restoring the visual but for now we are able to continue with our verbal report. I have been given a statement by the police and Preventer organization in regards to the current situation here at the Glasshouse..."
 
The four people in the room were all silent, holding their respective breaths as they listened intently.
 
"Earlier today five terrorists entered the Glasshouse and took several military personnel, businessmen and politicians hostage. They were demanding the release of certain prisoners currently serving time for war crimes in return for the release of said hostages. During the course of negotiations two people were unfortunately killed, the names of the deceased are being with held until family has been notified. The Preventer Organization was called in to assist the police in ensuring the safety and release of the hostages. Agents were dispatched into the building and managed to subdue most of the terrorists; however, there was a skirmish between the terrorist leader and the agents which led to two people falling from the window. Fortunately they were prevented from falling completely by one of the agents, but during the process of retrieving the two people one was unable to hold on and has fallen. The person to fall has been confirmed as the leader of the terrorist group. Preventer and the police are currently inside the building and assessing the situation. Further reports will be issued as they come to us regarding the status of the hostages and the terrorists."
 
The announcer continued to speak but her words faded into the background as Trowa, Duo and Nurse Brown looked at each other. Even though Sally had told them it was Jackson that had fallen it made them all feel better to have it confirmed by the press.
 
"I've just spoken with Une again," began Sally.
 
"How is Heero?" demanded Duo.
 
"Is Quatre okay?" Trowa asked.
 
"What is your young man's status?" asked Nurse Brown.
 
"Whoa! What is this? Twenty questions?" Sally gave them all a look of exasperation. "Firstly, Heero is okay, he has a bullet wound to the thigh and some lacerations; nothing life threatening," she added quickly as she saw the alarm spread across Duo's face. "Quatre also has lacerations, bruising and a suspected dislocated shoulder, but he's going to be okay as well." Sally turned to the nurse. "Wufei appears to be unscathed at this point, however, how much truth is in that remains to be seen."
 
"Thank god they're all right," sighed the nurse.
 
"Une will have an ambulance bring them directly to the hospital as soon as they have cleared the building. I expect to be notified of their ETA very shortly," continued Sally. "Now, Duo..."
 
Duo drew himself out of his thoughts as Sally called his name. One look at the doctor's face though had him on alert. She was going to say something he wasn't going to like.
 
"I'm not at all happy with these stats. It's obvious the Ritodine isn't doing its job and the contractions have started up again. The baby is starting to become stressed and that isn't good at all. We need to get you prepped and down to theater as quickly as we can."
 
"I told you, Sally, I'm not going anywhere until Heero is here," Duo stated flatly.
 
"Firstly; as your doctor I'm not asking you, I'm telling you. Secondly; as a captain, I out rank you, Agent Night, and this is a direct order. You will allow Trowa or Nurse Brown to prep you and you will be going down to theater. I'm not prepared to put your life or the baby's life at risk because of your stubborn attitude." Sally folded her arms across her chest and stared at the young man, daring him to argue with her.
 
Duo felt his anger rising. His heart was torn in two. He desperately wanted Heero, not just for the birth but also to calm his fears. Putting it mildly; he was scared shitless, he didn't know if he could go through with this alone. The saner part of him argued that he was putting Sunshine's life at risk and that wasn't acceptable. It was a classic Catch 22 situation, one that Duo didn't want to be in. The decision though was taken out of his hands; and not by Sally.
 
A sharp pain seared through his abdomen and Duo gasped with the intensity of it, clutching his belly and moaning. Sweat broke out on his forehead as he tried to ride the pain out but it only intensified until Duo could feel the tendrils of unconsciousness reaching for him. Vaguely he was aware of Sally and Nurse Brown flying into action before he succumbed to the darkness and passed out.
 
***
 
[The Glasshouse]
 
The ride in the elevator seemed far too long for Heero's liking. His leg throbbed, his arm ached and his body stung with the number of lacerations he'd suffered; but it was nothing compared to the pain in his heart. He could sense that Duo needed him and Heero was damn sure he was going to be there for his husband and the birth of their child. He'd promised Duo that the man would not go through this alone. Now that the assignment was complete, Heero had only one thing on his mind; getting to Duo.
 
The elevator reached the ground floor and Heero limped out, shrugging off the Major's attempts to assist him. Wufei followed with Quatre, noting the purpose to Heero's unsteady gait. The doors opened and Heero drew in a lungful of fresh air. Spotting Une to the side, Heero made a beeline for the Commander, Wufei hot on his heels.
 
Une saw the men approaching and sent one of her agents to intercept the Major, steering the man away to be checked over and questioned. Her eyes fell on Yuy and she gave a small shiver at the intensity in those blue eyes.
 
"I want to be taken to Duo, now." Yuy's voice told Une there would be no argument.
 
"I have an ambulance on the way to take you direct to the hospital. The other one was used to transport Jackson's remains to the morgue," the Commander replied.
 
"How long?"
 
Une glanced at her watch. "Fifteen, maybe ten minutes."
 
Wufei had sat Quatre down and the Preventer medic was checking the blonde over, strapping his dislocated arm to prevent any further damage until Quatre could be treated properly by the doctors at the hospital. Seeing the exchange between Yuy and Une and noting Yuy's rapidly escalating agitated state, Wufei thought it best to intervene now, before it was the Commander who needed the ambulance.
 
"Yuy, stand down," he barked and was a little surprised to see Yuy back off a little. Wufei turned his attention to the Commander. "I will get the medic to check him over properly whilst waiting for the ambulance. He is distressed, which under the circumstances I can completely understand," said Wufei by way of explaining Yuy's short fuse.
 
Une nodded.
 
"Maybe... It might help..." Wufei thought for a moment then continued. "Do you have a cell 'phone? I think it would be in Yuy's best interests if he can call the hospital and speak with Maxwell."
 
"Good idea," replied Une and fished in her pocket. "Sally is with Duo and her number is on speed dial. Call that and I'm sure she will be able to reassure Agent Day and hopefully allow him to speak with his partner." Une handed the 'phone over and Wufei took it.
 
Grabbing Heero by the elbow, he steered the agent to the side, into the shadows where it was quiet. "Here," he said and pushed the 'phone into Yuy's hand. "Sally's number is on speed dial, call it and speak with Maxwell. Tell him we won't be long."
 
Heero took the 'phone and nodded, punching the speed dial for Sally. The call connected and Heero found himself talking with a very worried Sally.
 
Wufei caught snatches of the conversation that alone was enough to set alarm bells ringing in his head. The steadily growing look of anger, frustration and pure helplessness on Yuy's face pushed him into action. Turning around he began to scan the area.
 
Sitting off to one side now that the medic had finished with him, Quatre noticed the small drama playing out. He raised an eyebrow to Wufei.
 
Wufei walked over and squatted in front of the blonde. "Yuy is talking to Sally. From what I've heard it doesn't sound as if things are going too well. We can't wait for the ambulance, every second counts and Yuy is going to be there for Maxwell if I have to move heaven and hell to get him there."
 
"If you can get me a 'phone I can get a chopper down here fairly quickly," replied Quatre. "Probably take about fifteen minutes."
 
"No time. By the time the chopper was to get here we could have Yuy at the hospital. We need something now.""I hate to remind you of this, Wufei, but the 'Beam me up, Scotty' thing is all fictional."
 
Wufei gave Quatre a funny look at that comment. "Actually, I was thinking of something a little more readily accessible."
 
Quatre followed Wufei's gaze to the parking lot. "Wufei? You're not thinking what I think you're thinking; are you?"
 
Wufei's face lit up with a manic grin to rival one of Duo's. "I think so."
 
~ * ~
 
tbc.......