Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Chimaera ❯ Chapter 123 - The Birth ( Chapter 123 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G'boys, I just borrow them from time to time to play with and return them a whole lot happier, ne?
 
Yes, this is the one you have all been waiting patiently for and all the questions as to Sunshine's sex and name will be revealed.
 
Enjoy....
 
"Chimaera"
 
October. 2003 ShenLong
 
Chapter 123
 
Nurse Brown handed the scalpel over to Sally's waiting hand and the doctor took it. Carefully she made her incision. Keeping the pressure light, Sally incised through the layer of skin and then muscle, opening Duo's abdomen up and exposing the swollen womb and child within.
 
Lying back on the operating table, Duo felt nothing but light pressure as Sally began the C-section. He gripped Heero's hand tighter though and gazed into the eyes of the man he loved with all his heart.
 
Heero kept his own eyes focused on Duo. He could see over the curtain if he wished but Heero didn't really want to look at his husband's belly, especially cut open. No, he'd keep his attention on Duo and do his best to keep his partner calm.
 
"Okay, little one," said Sally softly. "Time to come into this world and meet your mother and father."
 
Nurse Brown swabbed Duo's abdomen, removing the small amount of blood that was inevitable with the operation. She reached for a small blanket and placed it over Duo's chest. "Ready for the baby," she said with a smile when Duo's questioning gaze found hers.
 
"Ahhh," was all Duo said and he smiled at Heero.
 
Sally gently felt around Duo's now exposed uterus to confirm exactly how the baby was situated. The ultra-sound had given her a pretty clear picture but she wanted to be sure. She didn't intend to simply open up the uterus, she needed to confirm the ultra-sound picture as to how the baby was lying first for her to make the correct incision. Having satisfied herself, she carefully positioned the scalpel again and then cut through the uterine wall.
 
* * *
 
The world around it was changing. The little fetus blinked its eyes as the dark environment it had been encased in for so long began to lighten. It wriggled a little as something foreign invaded its senses, touching and feeling around it.
 
There wasn't much room though and the fetus didn't have anywhere to go. It pushed out with a small fist in an effort to push away whatever it was that was exploring its form.
 
For a moment, whatever it was that had been touching it disappeared, but the light remained.
 
Suddenly the light became brighter and the warm, safe, watery world that had been its home for so long was invaded. There was a loud noise coming from somewhere and then something cold curled around it and the fetus was aware of being lifted. Its arms began to flail, eyes blinked and it gave a couple of kicks for good measure.
 
When nothing worked to stop the motion, it opened its mouth and cried in protest.
 
* * *
 
Sally quickly cut through the uterine wall and amniotic sac revealing the small baby inside. Nurse Brown was quick with the suction as the amniotic fluid threatened to spill forth. Gently, Sally inserted her hand into the uterus and carefully lifted the fetus from inside. She smiled in amusement as the tiny baby threw its arms around and tried kicking out. When that didn't have any effect the tiny infant opened its mouth and gave a lusty cry.
 
Heero and Duo's eyes both opened wide as they heard the first cry from their baby. Tears began to form in Duo's eyes as he tried to look and see what was happening. He didn't have to wait long though.
 
Sally lifted the baby up and with Nurse Brown keeping the umbilical cord out of harm's way, the doctor brought the baby over the top of the curtain and lay it upon Duo's chest.
 
"Congratulations," she began, the smile hidden behind her surgical mask. "You have a son."
 
The tears of joy ran freely down Duo's face as he looked at the tiny bundle lying on his chest. He managed to tear his eyes away for a moment and gazed lovingly at Heero. "We have a son," he said.
 
The emotion of the moment didn't pass Heero. The normally stoic, Japanese man was overwhelmed with various feelings that began to course through him as he took his first look at his son. The tears began to form and then spilled over, his chest restricting painfully and a lump forming in his throat. / A son, / he thought. / I have a son. I'm a father. / Forcing his eyes away from the infant for a moment, he gazed into the shining eyes of his husband. "A son, Duo. We have a son."
 
Duo nodded, the smile on his face simply huge. Heero leaned down and kissed Duo deeply, putting all his love into the action.
 
"Thank you, Duo," he said softly.
 
The baby gave another cry, drawing them both from their kiss.
 
"Here." Sally handed Heero a pair of surgical scissors. "I've clamped the cord ready for you to cut. Put your mask on and I'll show you where to make the cut."
 
Heero lifted the mask over his face and took the scissors. He poised them above where Sally indicated and then looked quickly to Duo who gave him a warm smile. Taking a deep breath, he cut the cord.
 
As soon as the cord was cut, Sally took the scissors back and removed the part of the cord still attached to Duo's placenta. While the new parents were occupied with the baby, Sally set about the task of removing the placenta and checking Duo's insides for any damage.
 
Duo was fascinated with the new arrival. All the lessons, reading and practice with the doll had been in preparation for this; but nothing had prepared Duo for the tsunami of emotions he was currently experiencing. He felt a fierce protectiveness steal over him and unconditional love well deep in his chest. He brought a hand up and tentatively explored the new bundle.
 
Watching Duo with their son, Heero couldn't help the feeling of awe invading his mind. This little pink baby had been created by Duo and himself. It was truly a miracle. His hand joined Duo's in a gentle exploration of the new arrival. Together they counted the number of fingers and toes, eyes and ears, checking that the baby had the correct number of everything it was supposed to have, fascinated with this perfect being, before Duo wrapped the soft blanket around the small body, keeping the child warm.
 
Sally managed to remove the placenta intact, lifting it from Duo's womb and dropping it into the surgical tray Nurse Brown had ready. Further exploration of Duo's insides revealed some stretching to the neck of the uterus but no damage to any of his other internal workings. With a sigh of relief, Sally began the task of stitching Duo back up.
 
Removing the tray with the placenta in it, Nurse Brown put it to the side so Sally could check it over properly later. Returning to the doctor's side, she made sure that there was enough surgical silk and needles for Sally to stitch Duo up before speaking. "I'll tend to the infant now."
 
"Yes, please do," replied Sally as she tied off a tiny stitch.
 
Nurse Brown turned back to the two young men and paused, taking in the sight before she disturbed them. A soft smile played over her lips as she observed the pair. Bringing a child into the world always held a certain delight, the amazement at the miracle called birth that never ceased to amaze and thrill her. To see the new parents with their newborn was a source of joy to the nurse, something she would never tire of; but looking at the two men and their son, Nurse Brown felt more than that. This child was something special, not simply because of the unusual circumstances of his conception and birth, although that in itself was nothing short of miraculous, but because of the parents he had.
 
Despite all the trials she'd gone through with the pair, teaching them the basics of parenting and doubting if the child would survive after some of the experiences these two had put the 'doll' through, Margaret knew all would be well. They had the most important ingredient of all.
 
Love.
 
Watching the way the pair gently explored the new baby, softly touching, gazing in awe at the tiny bundle she knew this child would never want for anything. "He's very special," she said softly, gazing at the baby.
 
"He's perfect," replied Duo, the love thick in his voice.
 
"I need to take him for a moment," said the nurse. Seeing Heero's face darken she quickly added, "I need to weigh and measure him, then give him a quick wash. It will only take a minute or two."
 
"Okay," replied Heero, although he didn't seem too happy with the idea of his son being taken anywhere without himself or Duo there to watch over him.
 
Gently the nurse picked up the infant and moved to the side of the room. She was true to her word, weighing the babe and then measuring him before giving him a quick wash with warm water. Patting the skin dry, Nurse Brown put a small diaper on the child and then wrapped him securely in a soft, clean blanket. Picking him up, she returned him to his 'mother'.
 
Duo watched as the nurse stepped back over, the baby in her arms and as she went to pass the child to him, he inclined his head towards Heero. Picking up on Duo's hint, Nurse Brown turned to the Japanese man.
 
"Here," she said and held the child out to Heero.
 
"Aa." Heero looked a little lost.
 
"Go on, Heero. He won't bite," snickered Duo.
 
Heero gave his husband a mild glare. "Of course he won't, he doesn't have any teeth yet."
 
Duo rolled his eyes.
 
"Sit down," commanded the nurse. Heero complied. "Now, hold your son." The nurse passed the infant over and Heero gingerly took the tiny baby into his arms. "Hold him securely against your chest, don't be frightened of him, he needs to feel you close to him, it will reassure him that you're there," said the nurse softly as she assisted Heero to hold the baby in a comfortable and safe position for them both.
 
Duo watched in amusement. Seeing Heero holding their son brought forth another well of emotion and Duo wasn't sure he could cope with all this. He seemed to be bursting with love and affection, not only for their son but also for Heero.
 
Heero sat and gazed into the tiny face, small eyes opened and blinked up at him. "Hey there, Sunshine," began Heero quietly. "I'm your dad."
 
The infant blinked again and screwed his face up as if to cry.
 
For a moment, Heero looked panicked and then relaxed as the baby gave a wide, toothless yawn. A tiny hand poked out of the blanket and Heero couldn't resist stroking over it with his finger. The child's little hand opened up and latched onto Heero's finger. Heero's eyes went misty.
 
Sally finished the last stitch and tied it off neatly. Wearily she rubbed the back of her hand over her forehead and dropped the needle and suture silk into the small kidney dish. Giving the operation site a wash over with betadine, she then removed her gloves and mask while Nurse Brown applied a dressing to the wound. Duo's boxers were replaced and the gown pulled back down.
 
"I need to remove the catheter now, Duo," Sally said as she removed the curtain from Duo's waist.
 
Duo was relieved to see no trace of the operation at all. He even gave a smile when he noticed the deflated state of his abdomen. "Okay," he replied. "Hey, Heero. That's the easiest way I've ever lost weight," he snickered.
 
Rolling his eyes, Heero turned his attention back to his husband. "I wouldn't recommend it though," he replied.
 
"You have a point there, daddy."
 
"Okay, Duo. Let's roll you over so I can remove the catheter," Sally said, breaking into the banter.
 
Duo was duly rolled to his side and the catheter removed. Once he was settled comfortably again, this time in a more elevated position, Sally came around to Heero to check over the newborn.
 
Reluctantly surrendering the child, Heero watched carefully as Sally checked the baby over and then made some notes on Duo's chart before handing the baby back to Duo.
 
Instinct kicked in and Duo cradled the infant close to his chest as his eyes continued their appraisal of the small form. A soft smattering of downy, chocolate hair covered the babe's head and Duo ran his fingers lightly over it. "I think he's going to have your hair, Heero."
 
"I'd say more of a mix of both our hair color," replied Heero. "There's some chestnut tints to it."
 
"I wonder what color his eyes will be?"
 
"Hard to tell at this stage," said Nurse Brown. "All babies eyes tend to be bluish when born but they will change to their proper color in a couple of weeks."
 
"Well, guys. Congratulations," began Sally. "You have a fine, healthy baby boy. Six pounds twelve ounces, and nineteen inches long. Now we can't keep calling him, him or Sunshine. Have you got a name picked out?"
 
Both men turned to look at each other and smiled. Duo was the first to speak. "You still happy with what we chose?"
 
"Hai. I think it is more than appropriate."
 
"Good. I'm happy with that too."
 
"Well?" Sally raised an inquiring eyebrow.
 
"Yes, I'd like to know too," said the nurse, "especially as I need to record the details on the birth card and birth certificate." The nurse held a blue card in her hand, already written on it was the date and time of birth along with the baby's weight and length.
 
"Keitaro; his name is Keitaro Mareo Maxwell-Yuy," said Heero proudly.
 
The nurse quickly wrote the name on the baby's card. "If you don't mind me asking, what exactly does that mean?"
 
Duo gave a soft smile as he rocked the baby. "Keitaro is Japanese for blessed," he said quietly.
 
"Mareo is also Japanese, it means rare or uncommon," added Heero.
 
"Then I think this child is aptly named," said Sally as she gazed at the infant.
 
"I second that. He certainly is an exception and I don't think you would find anything rarer than his conception and birth," smiled the nurse.
 
"And we are blessed to have him," said Heero softly.
 
There was silence in the room for a few minutes while each of the four lost themselves in their own thoughts. Finally Sally broke the silence. "I'm going to take the placenta through to the lab and have it checked. Routine procedure," she added hastily when Heero's expression changed. "Then I will go to general surgery and see how G is getting along with Quatre and Wufei. No doubt I will have to check and patch up that stubborn, Chinese agent myself. I'll bring the three of them back with me if that's okay with you two?"
 
"Fine with me," replied Duo.
 
Heero just grunted.
 
"I'll let you guys tell them the good news when they get here. All I'll inform them is that both Duo and Sunshine are doing well."
 
"Thanks, Sally." Duo gave the doctor a broad smile.
 
"You rest, Duo. You've gone through a major operation and you're going to be pretty sore once that epidural wears off."
 
"Nah, I'm doing fine, Sally. Don't worry, I'm not about to get up and run a marathon or anything."
 
Sally shook her head. "I'll be back soon."
 
***
 
Quatre had taken off down the corridor at a frightening pace, well, frightening to Trowa but exhilarating to the blonde who was completely unaware of the agitated state he was putting his husband in. Every time Trowa managed to get within grabbing distance, Quatre would twist the joy stick or push another button and cause the wheelchair to either dive off in a different direction, swerve or completely stop. G had given up on any attempt to stop the renegade blonde, he valued his limbs a little too much and after his foot had been run over, his shins backed into and his arm almost wrenched from its socket when his sleeve had caught on the arm of the chair as he'd made a grab for the controls, G had decided that self preservation was more important.
 
Fortunately they had only had one near catastrophe on their way to the general surgery and that was when Quatre had accelerated suddenly; just as a duty nurse stepped out of a room...
 
Carrying two bed pans...
 
Full bed pans.
 
Quatre had applied immediate evasive action, swerving abruptly to the side and unfortunately crashing into the wall. The nurse had jumped back just out of harm's way as the blonde shot past and wheeled to the right, the bed pans though weren't meant for such sudden movement and the nurse found herself desperately juggling two pans full of waste liquid that appeared determined to leave her grasp. She managed to right one but the second refused all attempts to control it and shot from her hand, arcing through the air.
 
Watching the drama unfold before him, Trowa sprang into action. He leapt forwards and with arms outstretched, made a grab for the bed pan, caught it mid air and then went into a roll as he fell. Some how he managed to keep the bed pan from spilling its contents, but only just.
 
Picking himself up and balancing the bed pan, Trowa stood and turned to face the shocked nurse.
 
G came panting around the corner, Wufei a few steps behind him just as the drama was unfolding. G slumped against the wall as he watched Trowa catch the errant bed pan and gave a sigh of relief. Wufei opted to growl. "See what happens when you give that blonde drugs?"
 
"How the hell was I supposed to know?" retorted G.
 
"I tried to warn you but you didn't want to listen. No, Winner is in pain, Winner needs something to stop the pain; I know, let's give him morphine..."
 
"Pethadine actually."
 
"Who gives a shit!? Morphine, pethadine, it all sends him hyper! Then you have to give him a motorized wheelchair, one with buttons no less and you begin to wonder why he's acting like that!"
 
"I didn't know he would take off in the thing, I was only trying to get him to surgery as quickly and painlessly as possible," G defended himself.
 
Wufei rolled his eyes.
 
"Well, how was I to know he has a fetish for buttons?"
 
Sighing heavily, Wufei looked up the corridor again. "Promise me one thing?"
 
"What's that?"
 
"When you get him to surgery you will knock him out."
 
"I'll have to give him something before I put that shoulder back in, it's too painful to do it without drugs of some sort."
 
"Good. A strong dose of anesthetic, please, preferably one that will keep him out for at least twenty-four hours."
 
G looked back down the corridor where Quatre, having recovered from his crash, was 'revving' the wheelchair up again. "I think I'll try for forty-eight."
 
"Better give Barton some Valium while you're at it..."
 
"Huh?" G looked briefly at Wufei.
 
There was a loud crash from down the corridor.
 
"Make that two Valium, after he's had a hot shower, with disinfectant." Wufei nodded down the corridor.
 
G's gaze returned to the scene ahead which seemed to go into slow motion and he groaned. Quatre had managed to get the wheelchair mobile again and proceeded to back up. He forgot to check behind him though and the wheelchair didn't have wing mirrors. He backed right into Trowa who was at that point handing over the bed pan to the nurse.
 
The wheelchair caught Trowa in the back of the knees and thighs causing him to lose his balance, the bed pan once more went flying, straight up into the air where it flipped and disgorged its contents; completely over Trowa.
 
The green eyes opened wide as urine rained down on him, followed by the bed pan which he tried to evade but slipped in the growing puddle on the floor. Trowa went down with a crash, the bed pan following and hitting him squarely on the head.
 
"Ummm... Medic?" called Quatre as he watched his husband get clobbered by the bed pan.
 
~ * ~
 
tbc...
 
 
Keitaro Mareo Maxwell-Yuy's name was taken from here:
http://www.20000-names.com/male_japanese_names.htm