Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Dances in the Glen ❯ Middle of Nowhere ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

IMPORTANT NOTE: If you own Chronicles of the Cheysuli by Jennifer Roberson and see an "Indian" word in this story, don't look into the glossary at the back of the books. I have changed around the meanings to fit this story but I still give Ms. Roberson the credit for the word, even if it doesn't exactly mean the same thing. If you're so lost that all the "foreign" words are confusing you, ask and I'll send you an incomplete glossary of the meanings as they pertain to this story. When I'm done with the story all together, I'll put the complete and final glossary up as the last chapter.

^*^

Dances in the Glen

By: SaiyanBlack

^*^

The green eyed brave put his fingers to his lips and let out a piercing sound that split through the natural noises of the forest and echoed off the trees and stone. The bay mare approached what seemed to be a solid wall of moss and vine covered rock. He looked up into the branches as he reined in Heavy and the mare danced a bit after the long, hard ride from the past two days.

There was an answering whistle that signaled several hidden faces to appear from behind screening bushes and vines. Hidden doors and peepholes in the huge rock wall and within thick redwood trunks revealed twelve armed and ready warriors.

"Name yourself," one from the rock commanded, keeping his bow aimed straight for the brave's bare chest.

"Trowa Red Hawk. I need to see my brother."

^*^

"Here's the problem," Quatre announced, pointing to something he'd drawn in a sand filled wooden box. Relena sat within the blonde brave's painted tent with Heero, Duo and another brave she didn't know. The young boy that had brought them here was gone and Relena's arms felt unusually empty without little Eli to look after for the first time in the several days since she'd been captured by the Resh'ta-ne. For the second time in the company of this particular blonde Indian, she had the feeling that they were speaking English for her benefit.

"A layout of the attack areas?" Duo asked. The girl looked at the sand and indeed the markings looked like a type of map, similar to the ones she'd seen at the fort when she was younger. It seemed the markings for mountains and forests and towns were interracial for soldiers. The ink drawn ones on the paper maps of her brother looked almost identical as the ones that were grooved into the fine river sand by the whittled stick that the brave Quatre held.

"Yes. The remaining people of Relena's village have been moved to the fort the other day. Wufei sent me a messenger with the locations of the three groups of white man soldiers. We can only guess what Zechs Marquis is up to now. One of the braves heard a rumor while hunting near the fort village about the death of the general's sister's death by fire. This could mean something."

"They think she died in the house," Heero observed emotionlessly. "It may prove to our advantage that they are unaware that we have her with us. They'd be less likely to come after us for her."

Duo smirked, "That would also mean we have the upper hand and could surprise them with something they wouldn't expect."

Relena didn't like how they spoke of her as if she wasn't standing right next to them. They may have been speaking English so she could understand, but they sure didn't seem to need her to.

"What about the others? Are they suspected dead?" Heero asked.

Quatre shrugged, "We don't know for sure, but we assume they are. We don't know the extent of the damage we caused at the village so it would be best if we don't assume anything just yet."

"I think we should get a small team down there to take a looksie," Duo commented with his chin resting on his hand in a bored way. He was studying the drawn map with a resigned fascination.

The girl stared at the braided teen with wide eyed shock. It was amazing enough that more than a few of the Resh'ta-ne could even speak English and here was one of them using a slang word than Relena herself had only heard a couple times. At this point she wouldn't be surprised if they could also write perfect Latin.

"I was thinking that myself, Duo," Quatre said, a hit of amusement in his gentle voice. "If we could confirm their thoughts on the situation, it would make our lives a lot easier. Before we start anything though, we'll have to wait for Trowa to return or until we reach the Village in a couple more days. We need to know what Treize is planning so we don't mess things up."

Relena noticed that Quatre, Heero and the other brave pinned the lounging Duo with looks. The braided warrior blinked a couple of times before noticing that all eyes were on him.

"Why is it that when anyone mentions screwing up, everyone looks at me?" he pouted, glaring at the other braves. He spared Relena the look, even though she too was staring at him.

Quatre chuckled, bringing the sense of tension out of the room, "Relax Duo."

"Soji-mave usca hala," he grumbled and Heero snorted. She couldn't tell if it was a laugh or an agreement to whatever was said.

"Mava'e golu a'saii," the unknown brave asked Quatre. The blonde looked up at him and smiled reassuringly. He replied in their native language, so Relena didn't have a clue about what it was about. They conversed for a few more moments while Heero and Duo looked over the sand map. Well, Heero looked. Duo seemed to find the beads at the end of his long braid very interesting and he picked at one of them with a fingernail.

Relena waited patiently for the conversation to turn to something she could understand and observed her companions silently. Duo was sitting on one of the furs near the low table, seemingly distracted by a stubborn knot in his mahogany colored hair. His violet eyes glared at the offending portion and his still slightly boyish face scowled as his fingers picked at it. It was actually pretty comical.

Heero knelt next to the table, his eyes shadowed by his long, unruly bangs so it was hard to see exactly where his blue eyes were focused. It looked like he was observing the sand map but from experience she knew he could be looking anywhere. Sometimes she would feel him watching her when she was doing something and when she looked over at him, he was doing something, like brushing Zero or taking care of his weapons with his head bowed. But she could still feel his Prussian blue eyes.

He was certainly a very interesting person.

The other braves she knew by name were all interesting in their own ways. Quatre was a nice guy. He seemed to get straight to the point and had morals from what she'd seen. As far as she could see he was the "leader" of the group.

Relena finally figured out what `rujho' meant. It was `brother.' Which meant that Trowa - the tall, green eyed brave with the red horse - was Catherine's brother. That would explain why they lived together and looked alike. He was nice, when he talked. Sometimes she thought he was even more stoic and silent than Heero.

Then there was Wufei. She didn't know him very well. He was never around very much and in the past few days seemed to have vanished completely. She wondered if he was off doing something, not that anyone would tell her if he was. She was, after all, their captive. Though, from the few times she had been around him, he seemed a bit on the arrogant side . . . like everything was below him.

Other than those guys, she didn't know any braves. Unless you counted Catherine. What was the word for a female of the Resh'ta-ne? She didn't know. Actually, she only knew about two words, both of which she picked up their meaning when they used them in an English sentence. `Rujho' and `wei,' which meant `yes.' Other than that, she couldn't tell a "hello" from a "goodbye."

"Tetsu," Quatre said to the unknown man and he nodded before letting himself out. The blonde brave turned to them and spoke to Heero. "I'd like you to do me a favor, Heero," the other nodded, "I want you to teach Relena our language. She should know it before we get to the Village. And in return," he added turning his gaze to her and looking her in the eye, "I want you to teach Heero how to read English. He may know how to speak every native and foreign language in this region, but he had yet to learn how to read one. We'll need that talent in the future."

Relena blinked at the brave for a moment before looking at Heero. How many languages was every one in the region? That must be a lot with all the native tribes around the area. His deep blue eyes looked straight into hers and she realized that they were waiting for her answer.

"O . . . kay," she stuttered. Unsure exactly what they were asking for. Why would they need to be able to read English? Maybe it had something to do with the thing with her brother. Quatre smiled at her, silently thanking her. This was all very confusing. Everything seemed a bit more complicated than she originally thought.

So now she was teaching the Indian the stole her from her home and family to read English.

This should prove to be interesting.

^*^

"Nokomi! You're back!"

Trowa turned from brushing Heavy's red coat to smile at the little girl as she ran into the wooden horse hut. She had that red hair that ran in his family line, more prominent in her and her jehan than in he or Catherine. She latched onto his hide pants and looked up at him with her pale blue eyes, smiling in that adorable way only children could.

"Hello, Mariemaia."

She grinned and looked around her at the few horses that were stabled in the open hut, seemingly searching for someone or something. After a moment, when she didn't find whatever it was she was looking for, she turned up to look at him, the smile gone.

"Where's nokomis? She didn't come with you?" her blue eyes sad as she questioned him.

Trowa patted Heavy's side and the horse took his leave to munch on some much deserved grain and grass that had been put in here for that exact reason. The tall brave squatted down in front of the little redhead to look at her evenly with his green eyes.

"Sansu. Catherine had to stay with the others. We picked up several children and they need her to take care of them. It would be unfair for her to come to see you when there are others that need her now," he was kind while he told her, his voice soothing but firm.

She nodded solemnly, still sad that the woman didn't come with him. "I understand, nokomi," she said, folding her hands behind her back. Trowa smiled at her and she immediately smiled back. Taking his hand she pulled him out of the stable and around the wooden building and into the large rock dome that was the main area of the Village. He allowed her to lead him through the arch were a red hawk was carved into the rock above the opening.

"Jehana! Jehana! Look!" She started to call, dropping his hand and ducking under one of the many leather door flaps that led from the hall. He followed her more slowly and pushed aside the tanned leather to step into the room after her.

The woman on the low bed mat looked up from the redhead when he entered. Her kind face smiled warmly at him and he returned it automatically. Mariemaia knelt next to her jehana babbling excitedly about how he was back. The blonde woman turned to her daughter and placed a pale finger on the child's running mouth. "Mariemaia, hush."

The girl's mouth immediately closed with an auditable snap. The woman smiled and turned to look up at the figure in her doorway.

"I hear you have returned, Trowa," she teased with a grin on her face.

He raised an eye brow and approached the bed mat. "How are you doing, Leia?"

"I'm getting better. I should be back on my feet in no time. Sally's remedies are the best of the clan shaman." Trowa nodded in agreement. Sally of the Shenlong Clan was the best healer of the Resh'ta-ne. She had remedies for everything you could imagine. "Mariemaia," Leia started, looking to her daughter, "go tell your jehan that his rujho is here."

"Wei!" she said and jumped to her feet and vanished out of the room, the door flap swinging in the doorway behind her.

"How was the mission?" Leia asked and Trowa focused on her once more.

"That is what I've come to speak to Treize for. Heero and the others are on their way here and after discussing some unexpected occurrences with rujho, I will return. Once everyone is back and we have talked with the Elders and Leaders, I'm sure you will know everything about it."

She smiled, "Ah, discretion as usual. You and the other a'saii are always so quiet about what you are sent to do. I guess it comes with who all of you are."

"Nokomi!" Mariemaia called as she poked her head into the room, "Jehan says to speak to him in the Clan council chambers and to remind jehana that she'd supposed to take her medicine."

Leia chuckled at her daughter's message and Trowa smiled one of his small amused smiles. He patted the blonde woman's pale hand and stood to take his leave. As he passed through the doorway, he affectionately ruffled the small girl's bright red hair and stepped into the stone hallway.

When he entered the council chamber his rujho was looking out one of the vine covered portholes that looked out onto the forest around the Village. He turned when he heard Trowa enter, his dark eyes focusing on his little rujho.

"Welcome home," Treize said, his face schooled but smiling. "I assume you'll be leaving as soon as possible to return to the raiding party."

Trowa nodded, silently taking a seat in one of the bench-like niches in the stone wall. The older brother turned back to the window, looking out into the small clearing around the rock that incased the whole Village.

"We picked up something unexpected when we raided the town, Jefferson," Trowa said.

"Unexpected? Tell me."

"Heero picked up Zechs' little sister when he set fire to the family's home. She seems to be around 16 season-turns. We also took eight others from her age down to about three."

"Did anyone see you?"

"Not during the fires. Unfortunately, they had to kill ten of the village men because they spotted them during the planning of the raid. But they weren't noticed after the first fire was started. Quatre was right about how the whole town helped out. Most of the homes that were set aflame were completely empty."

"Who was set in charge of that mission?"

"Heero and Duo."

Treize turned to look at Trowa with a thoughtful expression. "It seems then, that my orders about not killing anyone in the fires turned out giving us an advantage. It does not seem like Heero would have bothered rescuing the girl if I hadn't requested that."

The younger brother shook his head, "You're right. Heero would not have had a second thought if he didn't have those orders. He only thinks about completing the mission and the death of a girl would only have seemed like a casualty. Not important compared to the necessity of the raid."

Treize gazed back out the window, "He is very single minded. I wonder if the Elder's Council will find him a suitable Leader for the Wolf Wing Clan."

"Not just his personality will be under discussion within the Council," Trowa added, looking wistful. "His blood will also be in question."

"That's right, he's the bu'sala of Odin, isn't he?" Treize remembered, going quiet for a moment before making a thoughtful sigh. "It won't matter now. Odin still has many years to go."

Trowa nodded. Heero was one of the few candidates for his clan's Leader role when his bu'lasa died. The dark teen wasn't one you would call compassionate or kind, indeed he seemed a bit callous and emotionless. Most of the Elders and villagers tended to think he was made of stone and held no feelings for anything living, but they didn't see past the blue eyed boy's well constructed mask.

The green eyed brave had walked onto several moments between Heero and his shadow, Finn. He was genuinely tender while he petted the big wolf's gray head and ears. He had an unspoken connection with the canine and the black stallion, Zero. Trowa also knew that he held his bu'lasa in high regard and was friends with the other four a'saii in his own way. His opposite, Duo, was his best friend. Heero was just an enigma. Trowa was certain that the Elders would make the right choice when the time came.

"Have you talked to the girl, yet?" Treize asked, snapping his rujho out of his thoughts.

Trowa looked up at his Leader's tall figure, another trait of his family. "Yes, Quatre decided it would be best that she knew who we were and was kept under surveillance at all times. Heero has Finn keeping her out of trouble most of the time and he houses her."

"Hm, what about the other children you picked up?" he asked thoughtfully, again looking out the window onto the field of nature.

"Catherine and I are housing them. Most are about six or seven season-turns and only know each other and the other teen girl, who has been taking care of them with Catherine."

"Any idea what the surviving townspeople think about the killings?"

"Wufei did some listening and found out that the survivors went to the nearby army fort for shelter and that they think that the general's sister is dead. We can only assume that they think the same of the other eight."

"So you don't know for certain?" Treize asked and Trowa nodded. "Very well. I don't want you and Catherine to care for all of the children. Spread them out among the braves but allow them to still communicate with the others. That way there won't be any problems."

"Anything else, rujho?" Trowa asked, standing.

"Yes," Treize turned to smile at the younger man, "stay for the last meal and leave tomorrow. I'm sure Quatre and the others will understand."

The green eyed brave smiled in return and the two of them exited the council chambers together, as brothers, as family.

^*^