Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Dances in the Glen ❯ Family System ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Gundam Wing - Tomino & Yatate

Language - Jennifer Roberson, several Native American languages and me.

Plot/Storyline/Original Characters - me.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Dances in the Glen

By SaiyanBlack

~*~*~*~*~

Duo couldn't help but look around the Village anxiously. He was HOME! It had been so long since he'd been home last, maybe about a month. He sighed; a month was way too long. He was near the last of the party, leading Scythe after Heero into the long tunnel that led to the Village center. The gray gelding seemed to echo his feelings, dancing across the rock ground with bottled energy, causing the two riders to hold on tighter.

Speaking of those two, Duo turned to lend a hand and pulled the child off first, gently placing him on the ground by his feet. He reached up to grab the girl, but she gave him a hard look and slid off on her own . . . to the other side of the horse. What had that been about? He could see the top of her head over the broad gray back and it seemed she was looking at the others in the group as they were greeted by family.

Shrugging to himself, he picked up the boy, who was asleep on his feet, and motioned for Scythe to follow Heero's Zero, who was trotting off to the stables. Given the prospect of food, the gelding weaved his way out of the small crowd of people, disappearing in the wooden shack, built up against the heavy south wall.

"Duo!"

He turned toward the sound, spotting his nokomis and both of his nokomi coming toward him from under their Clan's arch. The older blonde woman came up to him, reaching up to pull his head down and placed a motherly kiss on his forehead.

"Aw, Helen-tante! Would you quit that!"

She smiled up at him, "You're not all grown up yet!" she told him, patting his cheek with her hand.

"But it's gross!" he said indignantly, rubbing his forehead with his free hand. She laughed at his childish manner as her cheylo and rujho joined them.

"It's not going to hurt you Duo," the older of the two men told him, chuckling. "If her kisses were poisonous, I would have been dead long before now."

Duo grinned and shook his head, "That's different, you guys are married! It's well known that married people are immune to each other, if they weren't then there wouldn't be any people!"

The group laughed and Duo drank it up. It was good to be around people who laughed again, he thought. Heero was his best friend and all, but man, it was like talking to a wall sometimes. His family laughed all the time and he relished in it when he was home.

"Why don't you introduce us to your friend, Duo?"

He blinked a couple of times before figuring out what his nokomi was talking about, but when he did he felt instantly guilty. He'd completely forgot about the girl when his family came out to greet them. The boy was asleep in his arms, but his brain was too distracted to register his weight. At least he hadn't dropped the poor child. Turning to look behind him, he spotted the girl, looking more than a bit tired and put out.

"Nuna!" He called out and motioned for her to come over when she looked up at him. She seemed puzzled and on the spot for a moment before hesitantly approaching. His nokomis gave him a look at his choice of words but he had to admit, the word had just popped out of his mouth before he could stop it. When she was standing beside him, he looked down and addressed her.

"I guess you're stuck with me for a while," he teased with a grin, but she only returned it half-heartedly. Internally, he frowned. This girl needed some cheering up and he was just the person to do it. If possible, his grin got wider. "So I better introduce you to the family. This is my uncle Helen," he said pointing to his nokomis, purposely using the wrong English word to title the older woman. Of course, since none of them knew any English, they were nodding in greeting as if being introduced properly. "And her wife, my flea Maxwell and her grandmother, my flea Howard."

Glancing at the girl beside him, he saw a smile on her face that she was desperately trying to hide. He grinned wider, touching her chin with his finger. She flinched and looked up at him, startled.

"You have a pretty smile," he told her and watched her face go red, "You should do it more often."

She turned her face away and he let out a small smirk. She was cute when she was embarrassed, he thought to himself. Catching the looks his family was giving him, he remembered what he had been doing before he was distracted by the small girl.

"Helen-tante, Howard-tante, Maxwell-tante," he said, switching back to their native language, "this is Hilde and her rujho, Devin."

Helen smiled warmly at the two and all but pounced on the child asleep against Duo's shoulder. She lifted the young boy and cooed over him, turning to look at Hilde with a concerned look. She addressed the girl through Duo, language being a barrier between them.

"They look completely worn out! I'll bet you a'saii traveled for hours on end without stopping, like you always do."

"Hey!" Duo said indignantly, "It's not like it was my fault!"

His nokomis just gave him a passing look and turned to reenter their Clan's main quarters, Devin sleeping comfortably in her arms. Howard-tante followed close behind, pushing aside a thick woven door flap for his rujholla. Maxwell-tante smiled at the two weary young travelers and motioned for them to follow the others.

"Come on, bring her inside. We have the room to house them."

The aging blonde man went ahead of them and Duo turned to look at Hilde, finding a confused look on her face. He placed a gentle hand on her shoulder and smiled down at her when she jumped and whipped her head up to look at him.

"Let's go, if you're anything like me, it's time to eat!"

^*^

Wufei followed Meiran through the glow-lit corridors in the Shenlong Clan's quarters. She pulled him by the hand though a curtained doorway and into a room lit by a small fire in an alcove of the wall, away from the low pallet against the opposite wall. Turning, she smiled up at him, her dark eyes sparkling in the low light as she gazed at him. He smiled slightly, the corners of his mouth turning up for the first time in a couple of days.

"I missed you," she told him quietly. He lifted a hand to trace the line of her cheek and leaned down to catch her lips the way he'd been wanting to since she come running at him in the main courtyard of their home. This was home, he thought briefly before pulling away from their embrace to grasp her hand and pull her toward their fur covered bed.

She followed with a mischievous smile, happiness glowing in her dark eyes as she watched her cheylo sit on their pallet and pull her down beside him. They stared at each other for a long moment, just content to be in the other's presence, until Wufei pulled her into his arms again, his lips next to her ear as they lay back onto the thick furs.

"I missed you as well, kishi-na."

^*^

Heero pushed aside a thick woven door flap and motioned for Relena to enter before him, which she did, though hesitantly. Eli was asleep still, now in her arms and she stood in the center of the room, unsure of what to do with herself now that she was here. Slowly, she looked up at a pair of dark Prussian blue eyes as they silently watched her from the doorway.

"This will be your room for now. The main rooms are just down this hall to the left, that's where the morning meal will be," he turned away so that she only saw the side of his face, "Get some sleep."

With that, the woven flap fell shut and he vanished.

^*^

Catherine giggled with Leia as they watched a sleepy Mariemaia flop down into her jehan's lap, who grunted with the impact of the small child. Trowa cast a small smile at his rujho, who stood gracefully, even with the added weight of his harana.

"Time for you to be asleep," he told the child as he walked to the door.

"Ano," she cried sleepily, "I don't want to go to bed yet. Nokomi and nokomis just got here!"

Catherine stood and spoke to the child on her rujho's shoulder, "We aren't leaving for a while, you can see us for as long as you like tomorrow."

"Will you put me to sleep, Catherine-tante? Please?" the little redhead begged. Catherine sighed, one look at those big blue eyes and she was done for. Smiling, she took the child from Treize and carried her to the door, only looking back to say goodnight to the other adults in the room.

"I'm sorry she had to lie to the child," the Red Hawk Clan leader said in a quiet voice once the door flap had settled in the stone doorway again. Trowa nodded, standing.

"I'm going to get some sleep while I have the chance," he informed his rujho and rujholla, the later of which smiled warmly up at him.

"You'd be right to do so," Treize agreed. "Now that your party is back, the elders and Clan leaders will want to have all the details as soon as possible."

"Yes," the young brave said, heading for the door. "Goodnight."

The woven door fell closed behind him as he walked silently down the hall, only stopping once to look in another room. This one housing three children, sleeping together under the same large fur. As he watched, the boy looked up at him in the doorway.

He gave the child a reassuring smile, though he probably couldn't see it, and said in his gentlest voice, "Don't worry, it's just me. Try to get some sleep."

The boy hesitated a moment, but nodded, laying back down beside the girls. Trowa watched them for a bit longer before silently exiting the room and guiding the thick door flap into it's normal position with a hand so not to worry the boy with the soft sound.

^*^

"Are you alright, Quatre-tyee?"

The young blonde looked over to a man he considered his great friend. He smiled and nodded, "Yes. I'm fine Rashid, tetsu."

"The boy is asleep now."

"Did he eat?" he questioned, looking back out the small vine covered window of his chamber. Moonlight filtered in though the greenery and shined against his platinum blonde hair.

"Yes. Quite healthily."

He smiled, "Again, thank you."

"You're welcome, Quatre-tyee. Goodnight."

"Goodnight, Rashid."

He expected to hear the door flap close with a soft swish, but it never came. He looked over at the door again, but this time he was not met with the friendly face of his tall friend. Instead, his father stood in the doorway, watching him with dark eyes. They were silent for a long time, just staring at each other as the tension between them continued to rise.

"How long have you been back?" the older man asked finally, stepping fully into the room. The flap closed behind him.

Quatre returned his gaze back out to the moon, calculating in his head the position since the group's arrival earlier.

"Approximately two positions."

There was some silence, then a quiet, "I see."

The tension doubled in the room, casting a thick line between the father and son. Neither spoke, neither moved, both waiting for the other to make a move that would break the silence. It didn't happen. Quatre, usually the kind hearted leader, never once looked at his father, seeming to find the moonlit forest outside his window more interesting than the man standing in the room with him. The silence stretched on for what seemed like days, but it was Quatre that broke it.

"It is too late for the impending conversation, jehan. We should both set some sleep before the meeting with the Council tomorrow morning. It will be . . . ." he paused, searching for the word, ". . . draining."

The older man nodded, though he seemed a little disappointed, and turned for the door again. He stopped in the threshold and addressed his son without looking at him, "Yes. Goodnight then, Quatre."

The woven flap closed behind him, leaving the room in silence once again. The blonde youth by the small window never looked away from the vine screened view, but the moonlight caught a crystal sparkle in his eyes before they closed.

"Goodnight, jehan."

^*^

"Enter."

The five young men entered the largest room in the Village through the only wooden door in their home. It was a great cavernous chamber which was lit by long angular pathways of light that came though the ceiling. Each circle of light was inhabited by a man, each as different as the Clans they represented. Arranged in even rows to the sides of the imposing figures of the Elders, were the five Clan leaders and the Village shaman. This was a place were the spirits communed with mortals and judgment was divine. This was the Council.

In the center of the half circle of leaders was Jor, the Clan Elder from Wolf Wing and the current head of the Council. Long silvery white hair and patched eyes, this was no man to be reckoned with even with his disability. To his left was Gon from Dark Water, a creepy looking man whose scarred face, protruding nose and mushroom shaped hair did nothing to hide how eccentric he was. Next to him was the Elder of Shenlong, Ovan. A large, bald man who, like all the people of his Clan had dark almond shaped eyes.

Next to the tall Elder, was a blonde man with a very debonair feel about him. Odin was a man of action and smooth talking as the Leader of the Wolf Wing Clan. Howard was at his left, watching the room in silence, though a small smile crossed his face as the five young braves entered. To the right of Jor was Sol, the Elder of Red Hawk who gazed at the group around an odd patch on his nose. To his right was the Setting Sun Clan Elder Han, a squat man with an unnatural looking mustache.

Next to him was the Shenlong Leader Ran, an elderly man who was the oldest in his Clan. No longer a warrior, but a great trainer and instructor. At his right was the Setting Sun Clan Leader, Winner. A shrewd man and negotiator, he was strictly against hostile actions, even those of his thirty children. Treize sat with him as the Leader of Red Hawk and the main branch of a'saii, five of his best being under judgment this Council. Across from him and to the left of Howard was the Village's head Shaman, a woman from the Shenlong Clan by the name of Sally.

The five braves faced the semi-circle of men and women with serious faces. They had each been here before and even Duo knew this was the one place where a badly placed comment could seal his fate for the worse. Following tradition, the young men kneeled and bowed in respect to the Council as one.

"Rise," Elder Jor commanded and they brought their heads up from the bow, shifting so that they knelt on both knees and faced the Council with unwavering attention.

"This Council has been brought together for the purpose of discussing the actions of the a'saii, concerning the attack of a white man village that was home to Zechs Marquis and the ensuing capture of several children from said white village," Elder Gon started. He then addressed the braves before him, "How long ago were the orders issued for your mission?"

"A season ago," Quatre answered, his face and voice calm and serious.

"This order was issued after our Council by you Treize, was it not?" Jor asked, his sightless eyes turning in the direction of the Red Hawk Clan Leader.

"Yes, at the decision of this Council to do so," the redheaded man answered, not perturbed by the stare the Elder's empty eyes graced upon him.

Elder Sol made a thoughtful noise. "Explain to this Council the nature of the order," he requested of the young braves.

"We were to scout the area in order plan an attack which would kill none, but instead send a warning to Zechs and his troops," Trowa explained simply.

"How long did you scout for?" Clan Leader Odin asked the green eyed a'saii.

"Twelve Sun-turns, Odin-tyee."

"Who led the attack?" Gon asked and Elder Han made a satisfied noise, signaling his approval of the question.

"Myself and Duo," Heero spoke up from the end of the row of braves.

"Were you successful in following the guidelines of the order?"

"No."

The Council was suddenly quiet, this had been unexpected. Even Treize was surprised with the blunt answer. Heero was one of the candidates for the next leader of the Wolf Wing Clan and was known for never breaching orders and executing the task perfectly. This failure was a startling surprise for the Council members and it showed in their silence. Breaking the pregnant silence, Elder Jor asked the young brave the question on everyone's mind.

"Tell this Council the happenings of your mission and what failure you speak of."

Heero nodded and calmly began the retell the events of the scouting and attack. "The last scouting party was under my leadership, watching the area of forest around the west of the white man village. A white boy saw one of my warriors, of which I was not aware of, and seemingly returned to warn the men of the village. We were caught by surprise on our way to rejoin Duo's party by ten white men with guns. I gave the order to kill them."

Again there was only silence to meet him, though he pushed away the feeling of dread that rose in him. He had failed in following orders, he had killed.

"Heero of Wolf Wing," Leader Ran called for attention, "from what I gather of your explanation, you are taking the blame for this breach."

"Yes," he answered, his voice calm and resigned. "I should have been watching my warriors more closely and should not have chosen that brave for the scouting party. It was my error and my command that killed those white men."

"You understand that this occurrence will be discussed during the evaluations for the Wolf Wing Clan heir, do you not?" Elder Gon asked.

"I do."

Duo chanced a glance at his best friend from where he knelt next to him. He could see the mask in the blue eyes, they looked cold and hard. Heero knew what he did and unfortunately, he was willing to pay for it. That action probably had cost him his chance as Clan Leader, even if Duo knew that there was no one better in the candidacy. There was a season left till that Council. The violet eyed brave just hoped that there would be no more strikes against his stoic friend until then.

"Very well," Elder Jor, breaking the subject, "What was your next move?"

Duo decided to take this one, "We awaited nightfall before moving on with the plan of plundering and setting fire to the village while most of the villagers were in a meeting of some sort. We were successful in the attack and retreat."

"Were any killed?" Elder Ovan spoke for the first time from his position between Elder Gon and Leader Odin.

"No," the braided warrior confirmed, "None of the villagers were killed during the initial raid. Though we did make it seem as if some of the children had died in the fires."

"How many and where are they now?" Sally asked, her feminine voice seeming out of place in the dank chamber of men.

"Nine, Sally-winema," Trowa told her. "Split up among us to ease the burden while traveling. None are any older than sixteen season-turns."

"Tell us of the oldest, Heero," Treize prompted calmly, "and how you found her."

Several of the Elders and Leaders sent a look to the redheaded man from their seated positions. From there they cast their attention to the young man on the left end of the line of braves. Heero looked up at the Council with masked eyes, met glances with Odin, who had met said girl at their home the night before, and turned his gaze back to the whole of the Council members.

"On my raid of a large home in the village I came across a young girl and pulled her from her home as it burnt down. I later learned her name was Relena Peacecraft." He paused for emphasis, "She is Zechs Marquis' only sister."

"You were raiding the home by yourself?" Leader Howard asked.

"Yes," the brave confirmed, "I was alone on the raid of the Peacecraft home itself."

"How did you learn her name?" Leader Winner inquired. Heero hesitated for a moment, seeming to attempt to remember when he had learned his charge's name.

"Duo and I were speaking to each other on our way home from the raid. She had become startled when the name Peacecraft was mentioned. I came to the conclusion later that she had some relation to Zechs Marquis and confided in Quatre about it."

Hearing the prompt, Quatre picked up from there, "We discussed it as a group and decided that the best way to find out the information we needed was to speak to her. When asked in English what her name was, she gave it to us without any further motivation."

The Council was silent for a moment, trading looks with each other. The five braves waited patiently in their positions across from the Elders for the reaction to the news of Relena. Heero pushed away the thoughts of her fate now that the Council knew of her existence in the Village. There was no place for those feelings in this room, with these powerful men and women. Feelings are a weakness in this room, he told himself silently, engraining it into the front of his brain. They would get him nowhere fast.

"We will discuss this development in a private Council," Elder Jor concluded, sightless eyes looking at each of the five young warriors before him. "For the time being, I feel that we have all the information needed to proceed in our plans. You are dismissed. Be prepared for further orders in the future."

Moving as one, the five braves bent over double pressing their palms to the ground in front of them and their foreheads to their hands. Quatre stood first and the others followed his example keeping their eyes downcast as they exited the chambers one at a time. Behind them, the heavy doors closed.

^*^

AN: NOTES ABOUT THE STORY:

1) Elder Jor (also known as Doctor J) is blind in this because there was no way I could figure out how to keep his signature goggles/glasses in without making this little world of mine even weirder.

2) Yes, during this time, Relena is actually teaching Heero how to read. I just haven't put it into a scene yet. He's still teaching her to speak Resh'ta-ne as well.

3) I apologize about the short little segments in the middle, but I meant to do that. I wanted to give you guys a little look at each of the characters without over doing it. Short and sweet you know?

4) I am a Wufei/Meiran fan. But I don't dislike the Wufei/Sally coupling. It just couldn't fit in this story. There are so few fics with Meiran in them; I had to show you guys how cute their marriage would have been if she hadn't died in the first place.

5) If you don't know who Meiran is, I suggest you go to your local bookstore (try Borders, they have a good selection) and pick up the Gundam Wing manga "Episode Zero." It gives you a good look at each of the character's pasts and little clues as to why they do the things they do. It is actually a canon manga, written by one of the screen writers from the series. I highly recommend it for any Gundam Wing Fan.