Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Deadly Beautiful ❯ "Better get used to it; this is home now." ( Chapter 32 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: I don't have to listen to you! You don't own me! And I don't own Gundam Wing! runs off cackling

Deadly Beautiful - Chapter 32

By danse




Relena woke up gently, blinking away sleep as soft, morning light spilled through the gauzy curtains. She looked around and saw an unfamiliar room that was decorated all in soft white. Where am I? she thought, but she remembered almost immediately. She sat up in bed and scratched her neck as she looked around one of the few bedrooms in the palace that hadn't needed heavy cleaning to use. She and Mrs. Darlian had moved in a few days ago, the day after Relena had learned about the girls' school in Vaduz.

Suddenly, her eyes opened wide with realization. Today was the day she was supposed to go tour the school! She looked at the clock, saw that it was nearly 9:30, and got up quickly to make her way to the closest bathroom, which was across the hall. It felt vaguely odd to walk barefoot across the Persian-carpeted hallway of a royal palace in plaid, flannel pajama pants and a Hello Kitty t-shirt. She grinned. Better get used to it; this is home now. She closed the bathroom door behind her and was faced with expensive-looking marble, tile, and brass fixtures. The shower was huge, and the water ran deliciously hot when she turned it on.

Once she was dressed, she made her way to the kitchen, where her mother sat with coffee while Pargan finished making breakfast. Relena sat at the table, and a fancy plate of scrambled eggs, bacon, and toast was put in front of her. "Thank you," she said, picking up her fork.

"So," Mrs. Darlian said, putting down her coffee cup, "I thought we'd go take the grand tour of the school at about eleven, and then decide what to do for lunch. Sound good?"

Relena nodded, because her mouth was full of food. When she could talk, she said, "If I decide I like it, how soon do I start?"

Mrs. Darlian glanced at Pargan. "I don't know," she said. "Monday? You still have to finish Grade Eleven, and you've missed enough school already. The sooner the better, I think."

Relena nodded again, thinking about school as she finished a piece of toast.




The Friedenskraft-Sank Schule der Mädchen was a Gothic-looking fortress of a school, built entirely of stone. It made Clearwater Academy look like a group of tool sheds. Relena stared up at it apprehensively as she got out of the car, reading the words she recognized, and was mortified when she understood them. "You never told me the place was named after me," she growled at the two adults.

"The Friedenskraft family has always been highly supportive of education for girls as well as boys," Pargan said calmly. "Your great-grandparents and an aristocrat by the name of Karl Sank split the cost of this school for girls." He smiled at the two women and guided the car away, along the circular drive. He would be picking them up after their day was over.

"Come on, Relena, it's not a big deal," her mother said, hooking her arm through Relena's and patting her sleeve affectionately. "Within a week, they'll all know who you are, but this school's been around a lot longer than you have. No one will blame you for it. Besides, when you were born, the whole kingdom knew about it, and they all figured you'd go to school here someday, anyway."

"That doesn't make it any less embarrassing," the girl muttered. Mrs. Darlian ignored her and pulled open the grand front door, ready to start their official tour.

As it turned out, the school was a very nice place. The headmistress showed them around, speaking in German while Mrs. Darlian interpreted for Relena. There was a large gym with a pool, some computer labs, a cafeteria, a spacious music room, a stage, art rooms, and a Home Economics lab, besides all the other necessary classrooms of a school for both young children and teenagers alike. "There is also," the tall, middle-aged woman said, "room for some instruction in learning the German language." Relena perked up considerably at that.

As they were walking back from the gym, the lunch bell rang, and the hallways were soon filled with girls of all ages, wearing identical school uniforms consisting of a black blazer over a white shirt, a black necktie, a black, pleated skirt, and white, knee-high socks. Conversations in German chattered all around them as the students walked in different directions in groups of three and four. Several glanced curiously at Relena as they passed; a few smiled at her.

Opting not to eat in the cafeteria, Relena and Mrs. Darlian said their goodbyes to the headmistress and headed for a café down the street for lunch.

"Well, what do you think?" the older woman asked, as a waitress set down thick sandwiches in front of them.

Relena munched a french fry as she contemplated the question. "I think I like it," she said finally.

Her mother smiled.




Noin walked up the broad front steps of the palace in jeans and a t-shirt. She checked her watch; the tour was supposed to start in a few minutes. While she leaned against one of the large, cool pillars, she overheard a couple talking in French nearby.

"They're supposed to be closing the tours soon. That's what the guy on the phone told me," the woman said.

"Really? We got here just in time, then," her male companion answered.

Noin frowned. Closing the tours? Why would they--oh. I guess she's staying, then. If someone was living in the house again, it was unlikely that they would continue to run tours through the living area. Or perhaps they were just being closed temporarily, to be restarted after she finished moving in. There'll be a full staff again. She might need a bodyguard.... Noin's eyebrows suddenly shot into her hairline; an idea had just come to her. She'd come on the tour because she wanted to get inside somehow, and couldn't think of a better plan. Now, perhaps she had a direct way to fulfill Zechs' request for protection. Time to make a résumé.... she sang inside her head. A smile crossed her face, and then the front door opened to reveal the grizzled butler, signalling the start of the tour.