Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Deadly Prussian ❯ Desert Disaster ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Deadly Prussian

By: Lady Mars

Part IV: Desert Disaster

Disclaimer: I don't own Gundam Wing. Never have, never will. Deal with it.

***

Eva quietly crept into her father's room. The sudden outburst had made her worried.

"Dad?" she asked quietly.

"Out here Eva," Heero answer back. Eva crept out onto the balcony where Heero stood, leaning on the railing, watching the calm desert night.

"You ok?"

"Yeah, I think I am now."

"You sure?"
"Yeah." The pair stood quietly for a moment.

"You were thinking about here again, weren't you?"

"How did you know?"
"You always get solemn and creepy when you think of her."

"Oh really?"

"Yes. Do you miss her?"

"More with every passing day. You?"

"Yeah, even though I didn't know her as well as you did. You think she's ever going to come back?" Heero shifted his weight.

"I hope so. I don't know if I can make it much longer without her."

"I hope so too Dad." The silence returned between them. "Is something else wrong Dad? You seem more distracted than usual." Heero turned and smiled gently at Eva.

"There is, but you wouldn't understand."

"Is it about that thing you're making?" Heero shot her a quizzical look. "I've seen your plans Dad, it's not like you hide them."

"True."

"But is that what's bothering you?"

"Yes Eva, it is."

"Anything I can do to help?"

"Not really dear. Its just one of these things that we'll have to wait and see about."

"Ok Dad." The pair stood in silence for a while, both lost in the tranquility of the desert.

"Isn't it a bit late for you to be up?" Eva blushed sheepishly. "Goodnight Eva."

He leaned over and kissed her forehead.

"Goodnight Dad." She kissed him back and walked away. "And Dad."

"Yes Eva?"

"Don't worry too much about that thing, I know you'll figure it out." Heero smiled, watching his daughter leave the room. 'I hope so Ev, I sure hope so.'

***

Heero walked down the stairs, his white tank top hanging limply from his right hand. He silently attached the Velcro on his right, fingertip-less, leather flight gloves as he walked into the dining room. Around the table sat the five teens, most of them half awake, eating breakfast and Sally and Hilde having an idle conversation. Heero leaned over Vamir and snagged an apple.

"You all need to be ready for take off at 8:00," he said. The teens groaned at the statement. "No buts. We have a lot to get done today before it gets too hot for us and too hot for the Gundams to keep running. We need to get going A.S.A.P." He turned to the ladies. "It's hotter than Hades out here and it's only 7:30. What is WRONG with this picture?"

"I'm not sure, but is that why you're giving us an early morning peep show, Yui?" Hilde retorted. Heero smirked.

"Of course," he replied. "Anything to make your day any better, Madame Hilde." He bowed in a flourished way and chuckled lightly. The kid's heads shot up at the realization of where this conversation was going. Heero walked out, chuckling to himself, tossing his piece of fruit around. The kids turned to the ladies, who were now laughing.

"MOM!" Solo hollered. "THAT IS SO UNBELIEVABLY GROSS! IT'S ONLY 7:30!" Trowa slid into the room with Wufei hot on his heels.

"Trying to get another man, eh Hilde?"

"Now what ever gave you that idea Trowa?" She replied.

"Oh, maybe the fact that the kids look like they're going to revisit everything they've eaten in the last few minutes," Wufei replied.

"Blame Heero, he was giving us the peep show," Sally added. Trowa shook his head, chuckling.

"Leave it to Yui to wake them up quickly." He walked past the kids, towards the hangar. "Be ready at 8:00, no exceptions this time."

"WE KNOW!" The kids hollered.

"I'm just telling you because Yui doesn't like to wait." And with that, Trowa exited, leaving the room quiet again.

* * *

Heero settled his Gundam below the sands of the Arabian desert, setting up for the training mission with the kids. As he adjusted his sensors, Trowa's face popped up on his view screen.

"You ready?" he asked. Heero continued to tinker with his panels before turning to acknowledge the Heavyarms pilot.

"When you are," Heero replied. He sat waiting for a few more minutes, before launching his first missile.

* * *

Trowa switched screens, connecting with the children, who were scouring the desert, trying to find Heero.

"Remember," Trowa said. "Your goal is to shoot Heero down. He has more advanced weapons and has more experience."

"Yeah, that'll be the easy part," Solo replied. "Finding him will be the hard part." Trowa snorted. 'If they knew what they were doing, it wouldn't be THAT hard.'

"I'll drink to that," Eva added. The line sat silent until Heero's first missile whizzed past Solo's Gundam.

"What was that?" Solo shouted, stunned at the fact that the missile had barely missed him.

"A AA-AS-SA Space grade missile," Trowa replied in a matter-of-fact kind of way.

"A what?" Vamir asked.

"A special grade air to air, air to surface, surface to air missile. It's a nice piece of machinery he has there."

"And why didn't you tell us he had that?" Triton asked.

"To make the game more fun of course." Trowa smirked at them.

"Christ," Eva mumbled. "Why do you..? Oh shit…. Uh Trowa…My radar's dead."

"No it's not."

"What?"

"It's not dead. Yui's got a radar jammer."

"He has a WHAT?" Xi asked.

"A specialty grade radar jammer. He had it installed just for purposes like this. It makes it so much harder for the enemy to find you what their radar is out." The kids all groaned. "I told you he had advanced technology." Just after Trowa finished that sentence, a large plume of sand appeared on everyone's screen.

"What is that?" Solo asked.

"Trowa," Yui appeared on the home computer. "We've got company. Herd the others up and get your asses out here, NOW!" The line went dead. Trowa looked at his radar. Hundreds of little dots were approaching the area.

"Oh shit." Trowa hit the alarm and tore off towards his Gundam.

* * *

Heero turned to all of the kids once he finished talking to Trowa.

"We've had a slight change of plans," he said.

"A change of plans?" Solo asked.

"Yes instead of shooting me down, your job is to shoot them down." Heero turned his now transformed Gundam and sent off another missile. Over the nearest sand dune came hundreds of Leo mobile dolls. His missile rocked the first line of suits, but the second line came up behind it, unscathed.

"Oh crap," Vamir said.

"What's the status?" Wufei asked, joining the children along with the other elders.

"Bad. There's at least 500 of them."

"Let's get this party started then," Duo shouted diving into the fray off fire.

""Don't think," Heero said to the kids. "Just attack." He swung his beam saber trough a suit near Eva. She shook her head clear and lunged at one behind Heero. Solo swung around, taking out a suit behind Duo.

"How many are there?" He asked.

"Too many," Duo replied, swinging his scythe can slicing another suit in half.

"Where did they all come from?" Quatre asked. "I thought they shut down all the suit production plants after Marimeia."

"They did," Heero growled back.

"Then where are they coming from?" 'There's only one place they could come from, but how does she know I'm here?' Heero thought. The battle raged on, neither side gaining the upper hand.

"This is out of control," Wufei shouted. "There's got to be some way to stop this."

"There is," Heero said. "Everyone back off!"

"What?" They all shouted back.

"Just trust me on this one, I've got it under control." Reluctantly, the other Gundams back away from Heero.

"I sure hope he knows what he's doing," Quatre mumbled.

"Me too Quat, me too," Duo replied. Heero rapidly went through his systems, finally finding what he was looking for. He smiled as hundreds of red crosshairs appeared on his screen. 'I hope you have a nice life.' He flipped the cover on his joystick and pressed the red button. One by one, the rows of hatches on the wings opened, unleashing a volley of missiles aimed at the dolls. The suits fell one atop of the other until the enemy withdrew back into the desert from which they came. Heero opened the hatch of his Gundam and stepped into the bright sun.

"Are all battles this bad?" Eva asked.

"They can be," Quatre replied. "They can be worse too."

"What do you think that was about, Yui?" Duo asked.

"I don't know," the stoic pilot replied, wiping the sweat from his eyes. "I just know it's going to get worse before it gets better."

* * *