Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Deadly Prussian ❯ A Serious Case of Crash and Burn ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Deadly Prussian

Lady Mars

Part X: A Serious Case of Crash and Burn

Disclaimer: I don't own GW.

Heero: She's just messing with us.

Duo: What do you mean by that?

H: NEVERMIND.

* * *

Heero shifted for the eight time in five minutes; the pilot was antsy. He had been having a bad day, once again. After the rescue mission a few days prior, he had become extremely unnerved. It worried the rest of the household, but they dared not say anything. The pilot's fears arose earlier that morning; Quatre had spotted a large arsenal of mobile suits moving in and Heero had called for an ambush. Trowa and Heero were situated in the surrounding forest to act as snipers while the others hid among the desert sands, awaiting the sneak attack. Heero sighed uneasily; he had a feeling that something was looming overhead, yet he couldn't quite place it. He looked at his screens, the dense fog obscuring his view of the outside world.

"Is it just me, or is it like trying to see trough pea soup out there?" Trowa asked. Heero snorted.

"At least you can SEE through pea soup," he replied. "This, this is like trying to see through concrete." Trowa snickered. "It's the truth." Quatre's screen popped up.

"Are you two going to have idol chit chat through this whole operation?" he asked.

"It could be arranged," Trowa replied.

"But what good would that do us?"

"You wouldn't get bored."

"Is it possible to GET bored in a battle?" Solo asked.

"Yes," Heero replied. "Only if you stand in one place, for hours on end, doing absolutely nothing."

"And are you speaking from experience?" Quatre added.

"Only if you count being a guard for Une, yes." Eva snickered. "It's not that funny." He quietly pushed a few buttons and brought his screen into infrared mode. The scene changed colors and Heero could now see much better, making his job seriously easier. They pilots settled into a lulling silence. The time seemed to pass extremely slowly. Heero shifted a bit, trying to get more comfortable. Quatre had tried to convince him to stay back that morning, but he had refused intensely. After the last escapade where he had stayed home, he wasn't going to be letting those kids out of his sight if he had any choice in the matter. "Anything new, Q?"

"No," Quatre replied. "They're still moving at the projected speed." The line went dead again. Time passed slowly once again until Quatre popped up once again. "We have big problems out here!"

"Why do you say that?" Trowa asked.

"The enemy has ambushed our ambush!" Trowa's eyes caught Heero's; they weren't ready for this kind of an attack.

"Crap. Any bright ideas, Yui?" Heero's mind raced to find an answer. He latched upon the only one that would work.

"I'm on it," Heero replied. He slowly brought his Gundam up to its feet. He slid his mini-targeting screen over his right eye and pressed a few buttons on the keyboard. One by one, the hatches on his wings opened, revealing hundreds upon hundreds of missiles. He locked onto the target and without a second thought hit the launch button. The missiles flew above the treetops, down onto the battlefield, and efficiently destroyed each of the intruders. He turned his head briefly to see another red dot sailing down the side of his screen.

"What on Earth was that?" Quatre asked, Trowa and Heero immerging from the forest.

"An annihilation assault missile unit," Heero replied.

"It seemed to work pretty well," Wufei added. Heero nodded. They sat in silence briefly, until Vamir popped up.

"Has anyone seen Eva?" the blonde questioned. The others didn't reply. Heero blanched, he had just realized what he had done. In a frantic motion, he switched modes and took off the direction of the downed craft, the others following in suit very shortly.

* * *

Heero set his suit down, tore off his harness, jumped out of his suit, and tore off towards his daughter's suit. He ignored the throbbing pain in his right leg; he had obviously re-broken the femur, but chose to keep going, in spite of the pain. He stepped up onto the uneven wing and moved towards the hatch. He pushed in the override code and the hatch opened slowly. He bent over, cut her harness, and pulled the limp form of his daughter out of the Gundam, effectively pulling out all of his stitches in the process. He slowly stepped onto the ground as the others arrived. Quatre called back to the house for preparations as the others tried to console the Wing pilot; it was no use, Heero was too far gone to help.

* * *

Heero sat down on the couch of the safe house with a heavy sigh. He realized that his daughter would be fine, but he still couldn't help but feel guilty. He had never done anything that careless before and now it was slowly eating away at him. He pulled a golden ring out from under his shirt and ran the cool metal between his fingers. He sighed roughly as memories of days long past came rushing back. He had been repressing these thought for some time, but in this situation, he knew he wouldn't be able to stop it from happening. Slowly, tears started to run down his dirty face, leaving a clear path as they fell. The other pilots quietly came into the room and saw their mighty leader crying on the couch.

"Heero?" Quatre asked, concerned. "Are you ok?"

"I hate my shit luck," the Wing pilot mumbled.

"What?"

"My shit luck. I've already lost the most beautiful, charming, intellectual, caring, and understanding woman I've ever met and now…now I came within inches of loosing my daughter."

"Heero, it was an accident." The pilot reeled at Quatre's reply.

"SURE IT WAS! THAT'S ALL IT EVER WAS! THAT'S ALL IT WILL EVER BE! But just because it was an accident isn't going to bring my WIFE BACK!" Quatre reeled; this was the first time that Mrs. Yui had ever been mentioned. Heero shifted back from looking at Quatre and went back to boring holes in the floor. Eva quietly entered, with Sally following her. No one really knew how to handle this out burst from the Wing pilot mostly because no one understood what he was going through. The others sat in strained silence until the doorbell rang. Quatre arose to go answer it.

"Oh my god…" was all he could say after opening it.

* * *