Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Deadly Prussian ❯ Mommy Dearest ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Deadly Prussian

Lady Mars

Part XIV: Mommy Dearest

Disclaimer: I don't own GW nor am I making any cash off of this escapade.

* * *

Heero sat quietly at the dinner table, not really paying attention to the other occupants of the room. The kids sat on the other side of the table, having an argument about some obscure subject that was never meant to be discussed at any meal. The adults were half way between loosing what appetites they had left and killing the kids for talking that way. He had been picking at his meal for the last few minutes and hadn't said a word since the meal started. Erin stole a quick glance at her husband and became worried.

"Heero?" she said quietly. He didn't reply. She turned to catch Quatre's worried glance. He pointed at Heero and Erin shrugged. "Heero?" Heero's head snapped up; some one had snapped him out of his trance.

"Hmm?" he replied.

"Are you ok?" she asked. "You haven't eaten a thing and have made no move to stop the foul conversation on the other side of the table." Heero looked at the kids briefly and then back to his wife.

"I guess I'm just not that hungry." He slowly got up and walked out of the room without another word.

"Now that was just wrong," Duo muttered. The other adults stared at him. "What? He didn't yell at anyone, especially me, he didn't eat, and he didn't whip out the gun either."

"He does have a point," Trowa added. "He was unusually inactive tonight."

"Do you think we should do something?" Erin asked. Trowa nodded.

"Someone should go talk to him." Duo got up.

"I'll do it!" he replied chipperly.

"Are you sure that's a good idea?"
"Yeah, I can handle him." Duo trotted off in the direction Heero had just left. Erin turned to Trowa.

"Are you sure that's the wisest decision?" she asked. Trowa shrugged.

"If any one knows him, it'd be Duo. The two of them have spent so much time together; you'd think they're family. And I do believe Duo got Heero to laugh, once." Erin looked at him strangely.

"Now there's a tough feat to accomplish." Trowa nodded. The meal continued without the other two pilots.

* * *

Duo walked up to Heero's door and knocked on it cautiously. He poked his head into the room when he got no reply.
"Heero?" He still got no reply. He slowly plodded though the room towards the open balcony window. He stepped you next to the stoic pilot who was staring into the desert sands. "You ok man?" The Wing pilot turned briefly to look at the Deathscythe pilot and then turned back to the sands.

"Do you ever wonder what your parents were like?" Heero asked quietly. Duo thought for a moment.

"Yeah, sometimes," he replied, leaning against the railing. "I always wonder why they ditched me. Why would anyone do something like that to their child?"

"Why would anyone let their child be taken to be trained to be a ruthless killer?" Duo sighed.

"Maybe they didn't have any choice. Maybe it was destiny for all of us to suffer and come together. Or maybe it was just luck." The pair stood silent for another few moments.

"Did you know Une was researching our pasts?" Duo nodded.

"She showed me all she found on mine. Turns out my mother was killed in an uprising and my father dropped off the face of the universe. I was bounced from relative to relative until I became a street rat and ended up with Sister Helen and Father Maxwell." Duo sighed again. "I wish I had known my mother before she went. What about you?" Heero looked down.

"She hasn't found much. All she knows is I was under the care of Odin Lowe before being taken in by Dr. J. She doesn't know anything about my parents. The closest lead we've gotten is this." He pulled out an envelope. "But she hasn't seen it yet." Duo took the envelope and pulled out the letter and began to read.

To: Mr. Heero Yui

From: First Colonial Bank of L1

Concerning: Your Account

Mr. Yui, It has come to our attention that your account has been massively overhauled in the last two days. The surplus totals to five point six billion dollars. This amount has been sourced to your father's will. He said to transfer it directly to you account and the rest can be retrieved by contacting your mother. From there you shall receive the remaining funds. The surplus and entire account had been transferred to our Sweden branch under the same name and components required for access. We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused you and hope you continue to enjoy our services.

Sincerely,

Anna Shepard

President of First Colonial Bank of L1

Duo looked at Heero.
"Is this what's been bugging you?" Heero nodded.

"I just don't know what to do. I have no idea where to start or if I should even tell anyone. What do you think I should do?" Duo handed the letter back to him.

"Honestly man, I don't know. I mean, there are people here who could help you with this, but I'd feel uncomfortable talking to them about a touchy subject like this." Heero sighed.

"I know, but I want to find her. I just want to know who she is, what she's like and why she put me through all of this." A slender tear slid down his cheek. He reached up and flung the offending particle out of his way. Duo watched cautiously as the Wing pilot tried to withhold his feelings. Duo wrapped his arm around the man's waist and pulled him closer.

"It's ok man. We all have these kinds of days. I know it's hard sometimes, but we're all here for you if you'd just come and talk to us." Heero looked at Duo. He no longer saw the jester of the years past. He now saw him for what he really was: a comrade, a partner, a confidant, a noble man, a caring person, but most of all, his first true friend. Heero clung to Duo a little harder as his tears now refused to stop. Duo stood holding the other pilot, not saying a word. After a few minutes, Heero let him go and stood up a little straighter.

"Thank you," he mumbled quietly.

"For what?" Duo asked, confused. "I did something anybody else in this house could have." Heero shook his head. "What da' ya mean no?"
"I mean no one here could have shown me what you did right now."

"Which is…?"

"What it's like to have a true friend." Duo snorted lightly. "It's true. If it weren't for you, I'd still be in that Oz facility." Duo smiled.

"You're right. And where would I be without you?"

"Dead." Duo chuckled.

"I hate to admit it, but you are right about that." Heero smiled. "Now you see how much better things are when you talk about it?" Heero nodded. "So, you wanna go beat the kids up for the horrid conversation they had at dinner?"

"What were they discussing?"

"I really have no idea, but it involves a camel, a peach, and a roll of duct tape." Heero looked at him funny. "My sentiments exactly." The pair walked out of the room discussing what torment the children would be put through for that act.

* * *

Heero sat quietly on his bed, lost in a sea of papers.

"I've gotta find SOME way to make this thing work," he grumbled out of frustration. He had spent most of the afternoon searching for an answer to a question that no one else in the house understood. He was leafing through the stacks for the eight time when his phone rang.

"Dragon," he muttered.

"Une here."

"What can I do for you, Lady?" He was staring at a sheet of paper, but still didn't find what he was looking for.

"It seems that we may have a lead to finding your mother." He set the paper down.

"You do?"

"We think it actually could be her."

"Really?"

"Yes, but the only problem is you have to go see her personally." Heero sighed.

"If that's what it takes, I'll do it."

"Good!" She rattled off an address and hung up. Heero set his phone down and stared at his reflection in the mirror next to his bed. 'Could this really be it? Am I this close to finding her?'

* * *

Heero quietly stepped into the office area of the top floor of a rather large building in a small industrial area. After telling everyone what had been going on, Quatre had urged him to go, so now he stood, in some strange office, hoping to find his long lost mother.

"I take it you're here to speak to the Lady, right?" Heero snapped his head around to look at the secretary.

"Yeah," he replied quietly.

"Hang on," she replied. "Ma'am another hopeful is here to see you."

"Another?"

"Yes ma'am, another."

"Fine send him in."

"Yes ma'am." The secretary hung up the phone and turned back to Heero. "You can go in now." Heero nodded and slowly entered the office. Inside was to be expected of a high power corporation. There was a TV at one end, a large desk with computer and phone, a large plush chair and numerous things strewn about.

"All right, right, uh huh, ok I'll talk to you later, good bye." The chair behind the desk spun around to reveal a flamboyant redhead. "So you're the one who deems yourself my son?" Heero nodded. "So what makes you different from the other hundred thousand who have paraded through here claiming to be my son?"

"Honestly ma'am," he replied, not able to keep eye contact. "I don't know. I came here on a hunch and I guess I was mistaken. I'm sorry for wasting your time." He turned and promptly exited the room. The woman brushed an errant lock of her hair behind her ear before picking up the phone and punching a few numbers. "Hello, Jeremy? It's Karen. I was wondering a few things about that Yui kid of yours…."

* * *

Quatre had spent the entire afternoon trying to pull Heero out of his depressed state, but had no luck in doing so. Heero had been depressed ever since returning and his only reasoning was he had screwed up. Quatre was worried about the man, but had given up all hopes after a few hours of trying. He was now padding through the house trying to find something to do. He stopped in the living room, still not finding anyone around, when the doorbell rang. He slowly made his way to the door and swung it open. He froze when he saw who was on the other side.

"You're, you're, you're," he stammered.

"Karen Joshua, I'm perfectly aware of that. I was wondering if Heero Yui was here." Quatre nodded and turned to yell for Heero when he emerged from the dining room.

"Can I help you?" he questioned bitterly.

"If I may have a few words with you privately, yes."Heero nodded and lead her around to the pool. He took a chair at one of the numerous tables and Karen sat across from him.

"Can I get you anything?"

"No. I just want to make this short and sweet. First I would like to apologize for the way I acted. I've been seeing hopefuls for years and I thought that you were just another one. The only reason I came here is because I recognized you as Jeremy's boy."

"Jeremy?"

"Or if you prefer, Dr. J." Heero stared at her. "I got in touch with him and eventually figured out that he had gotten you from Odin and I gave you to that bastard before I left." Heero blinked at her.

"What are you trying to say?" Karen sighed.

"Sorry, I do have a tendency to ramble. I'm saying that I AM your mother." Heero stared at her blankly.

"You have got to be kidding me." Karen shook her head.

"I met your father, Joshua, during the One Year War and we ended up getting married and starting respective companies. He started the military based research and I started the medical division. We merged into the Joshua Foundation a few months after you were born. We were drawn into a small outskirt war and I left you in the care of Sander's brother in law, Odin. He from there trained you, died, and you ended up in the hands of Jeremy. After the war of AC 195 and the Marimeia incident, I ran into Jeremy. He was a neighbor of mine growing up and we decided to meet up. We transferred war stories, success stories, and brief detailing of what we'd been doing lately. He told me that he had trained a boy brought up by a trained assassin and turned him into a top ranked Gundam pilot and Preventer. I told him I was missing a son whom I'd given to Sander's brother in law. He said he'd keep his eyes open. The fool, you were right there the whole time. When you came in today, I recognized you as Heero Yui, the Gundam pilot and earth's savior twice over, not his student, nor my son. I called him immediately after you left and he told me the one important thing that would have prevented this mess: he'd gotten you from Odin. I told Sanders we shouldn't leave you with him, but no…WE can trust him." She sighed, sitting back. "So, what has your life been up to this point?"

"Hell. I became an assassin, had my soul broken and rebuilt, live through two wars, became Earth's savior twice, joined the Preventers, got married, had a daughter, lost my wife for nine years, got her back a few weeks ago and now got a letter stating I'm loaded."

"Even more so now." Heero raised his eyebrow. "I had the rest of the money transferred to you account." He nodded.

"You said you are in the weapons business, yes?" Karen nodded. "Then maybe you can help me with something…"

* * *