Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Death in the Darkness ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“Oh God, no… Please, Duo,” A sharp breath, “Oh please no…” He ran down the sidewalk, effortlessly sidestepping the various holes and cracks in its surface. “God damn it, Duo. Not now… Not after all this.”
 
A crowd was gathering, noisy, jostling, starring. They came for the spectacle, for everything it means when someone shouts for an ambulance; when the leaders finally step out from the crowd and take charge. He pushed his way through single-mindedly; there was nothing else for him if he failed. No warmth, no forgiveness. Not after everything…
 
“Duo! God damn it Duo! Speak to me…” Gentle arms and grasping hands tried to stop him, to prevent the inevitable. They failed with spectacular predictability and he kept going.
 
He broke through the edge of the crowd only to be stopped by the blood- red, crimson, vermilion- that had spread in shining wet tendrils across the concrete. Knees hit the pavement, uncaring and he welcomed the sting. He bit back a sob, mouth gaping open in shock, speechless. He could taste the salt of his tears.
 
“Duo… No, Duo. Oh no. Please God, no… Duo! Oh Duo…” He knew with out being told that the man lying before him was dead. His lover. His beautiful Duo…
 
The world ran cold with loss.
 
He reached back slowly, pretending to search, his sobs hitching when his fingers touched cold steel. He pulled it out, eyes fixed on its glinting, tooled surface as it appeared under the yellow light of the streetlamps. He let the familiar weight rest in his palm.
 
One shot. The sound echoed off the buildings around them to sound like a thousand, and he fell to lie forever beside the man he loved.
 
Two for the price of one. And after everything that'd happened….
 
Blue eyes slipped shut in the darkness.
 
He never heard the sound of sirens.