Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Devil's Due ❯ - 30 - ( Chapter 30 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

— 30 —

February 2, A.C. 205. Base. 5:30pm

Jordan all but scrambled into his house, looking around wildly as Chai jumped and looked back at him. She smiled brightly at him, amused at being startled, then shook her head.

The man relaxed slightly.

"What's up?" Quatre asked curiously, moving from his room.

"You're not wearing your necklace again," Jordan noted, blinking at him.

"It didn't match?" Quatre returned with a grin. He shook his head, then, smiling more. "I kinda missed it, you know?" he moved to climb over the back of the couch. "I can choose if I feel it now or not...at home with you guys I prefer to feel you."

"Quatre, my wife..." Jordan muttered happily...though he was heading for the kitchen.

Quatre snickered evilly. "If we make it a joke, she'll never believe it, will you, pussycat?" he muttered, tickling her foot.

Chai gave him a look, grinning at him and pulling her foot away as the vid started beeping.

"Ah," Quatre noted, understanding the emotions he'd been feeling. Chai'd been getting slightly anxious, and Jor had been bothered when he'd come in.

"Yo," he heard Mouthy say happily. "I was told to be really persuasive in extending my visa."

"No good," Jor returned. "You're not getting anywhere and I need you in Russia."

"Already?" Xane asked in confusion. "But I just got my in."

"Did you really?" Jordan asked skeptically.

"Chao asked me to move in with him."

"You're not there to get laid," Jordan noted irritably.

"Don't be stupid..."

"Don't call me stupid. I need you in Russia..."

"David Shire."

Jordan stopped, blinking at the screen.

"He was hiring Chao's...services...to transport some weaponry. I didn't get any further details, just his name and the fact that it was weaponry. Chao also hinted at me going back to the place over the river."

"And through the woods, to grandmother's house we go..." Quatre sang quietly for Chai's amusement. "The horse knows the way to carry the sleigh..."

"You're a month late for that," Chai reminded him with a grin. "Next is Valentine's."

Quatre smiled in return, shifting back where he sat to think about that information.

He had a girlfriend to consider now. He'd had a girlfriend for just better than two weeks.

The thought sent him a little thrill of pleasure as it usually did, and the familiar comfort of Chai's general amusement and Jordan's focus made the moment just that much better.

"What?" Chai asked, blinking languidly at him as Xane and Jordan started to bicker. "You look all dreamy."

"What should I get Simone?" he asked, situating himself forward to talk with her properly.

"Something shiny," Chai returned, sparkling her wedding ring at him.

Quatre grinned at that, looking up toward the ceiling again. He had opted out of buying the girl anymore jewelry. It wasn't like he didn't think she was worth it, she was, but she always got embarrassed that the only stuff she could buy for him was twenty dollar items. He didn't mind, he liked everything she'd bought him, but his buying her expensive things tipped the balance of the relationship off-kilter.

Unfortunately, she thought the money aspect mattered.

"Roses work," Chai added, looking back to the ring. "Chocolate is tradition..."

"Should I buy her clothes, or will that send the wrong message?"

She smirked, looking up to him. "Buy her a teddy."

He flashed her a wicked grin and shook his head hard.

"No?" Chai protested, pretending innocence. "What girl doesn't love a cute little teddy?"

"Say, what, now?" Jor asked, listening with interest.

"You know," Chai returned, grinning happily, "the little stuffed animals?"

"Ah...never mind," Jordan changed focus again.

"And you say we're bad," Quatre griped at her, pretending to focus on the screen.

"What ever are you talking about, darling?" she asked sweetly. "I have a really cute pink one."

Quatre gave her a very level look, because her amusement on the matter covered up her true meaning. He wasn't sure if she meant stuffed animals or items of clothing, and he had no intentions of admitting it or making a comment.

Chai laughed delightedly, recognizing that she'd won and sinking back where she'd been sitting for the previous hour with a happy sigh. "Have you two slept together yet?"

"No," Quatre returned, sinking back himself. "We're just enjoying each other's company."

The girl sniggered some at that, thinking more. "If you really got her a teddy then, she'd probably think you expected it...and that's never a good message to send."

"I thought you meant stuffed animals," he retorted wryly.

"Oh, Quatre-dear," she said in mock concern. "Are you really so naïve?"

He gave her another look.

She flashed him her evil little smile, thinking more. "Maybe...well, clothing would probably be bad unless you're with her and she's eyeing something. But that shouldn't be counted as a holiday gift."

"I saw a necklace the other day," he noted, thinking back some. Jordan had been with him and trying damn hard to figure out if it was a design his wife would like or not. He hadn't wanted to ask her about it in case she did like it. "It was a ruby..."

"Not that horrible heart shaped thing?" Chai asked him, sounding mildly revolted.

Quatre frowned at her. That answered that question nicely and she'd never know Jordan might have sub-standard tastes...

She made a face. "It's cloying...I suppose Simone might like it. She's tomboy enough that girlie things will be fun for her, but...I don't know."

"Maybe a diamond..."

"On Valentine's day I'd almost say it should be engagement," she noted.

"I don't think she's ready for that," Quatre refuted, looking away. "I thought women liked diamonds."

"We do," Chai agreed, indicating her wedding ring again. "We like them a lot."

Quatre grinned at that.

"Just get her something simple," she suggested easily. "Go wander the store and see what you can find, then pick something up there. Maybe you could add in a nice cashmere sweater or something simple like that, then take her somewhere nice to eat."

...it was brilliance.

The blond stared at the female in disbelief.

"You're...special," she decided, snuggling around a pillow more.

"I'm trying," he retorted a bit petulantly. "At least I'm trying."

"I'm not saying anything against you," she reassured him with affection. "I'm just saying that you're overcomplicating matters. Don't over-think this."

"I know," he muttered quietly, considering how he might get closer to her. There was no appropriate way to do it, though, so he settled further in his spot.

He doubted he'd ever really tell her, but he was damn glad she was in his life. She'd made things better when he didn't think they could be, and she was completely at ease to continue that simple assistance. Since she'd come, his entire existence had been better.

He sighed slightly as Jordan continued bickering with Mouthy, relaxing down completely where he lay. He couldn't wait for Simone to get her free time. He wanted to take her shopping.

- -

February 2, A.C. 205. Base. 6 pm

"I love how you pretend you know what you're doing all the time," Morgan muttered to Wufei as he watched the guy sketching. "You don't even draw that good."

"Since I've never done anything artistic in my life," Wufei agreed distantly. He knew Morgan was bored, and the fact that Wufei hadn't smoked in a month or better was making him antsy, because he didn't have anyone to smoke with.

Morgan had never liked to smoke alone, so the craving on top of denying it always put him in a lovely mood.

Wufei almost wondered if it'd be worth it to keep smoking.

"I know you haven't," Morgan returned, happy to have gotten a response. "So what are you doing?"

"Trying to think of something Quatre won't be embarrassed to wear."

"What?" Morgan asked in confusion.

Wufei stopped, looking up to him. He hadn't actually intended to say that. He'd only barely admitted it to himself, let alone to Morgan...

Morgan laughed, giving Wufei a look that suggested he didn't believe it.

Wufei flashed him an agreeing sort of grin, looking back to his work.

It wasn't like Quatre was picky or anything. He'd probably be happy to wear the necklace as it was for several years before suggesting they come up with a design...granted, though, that Wufei wanted Quatre's company to make the things. He was not only trying to make it as cheap as he possibly could, but also aesthetic enough that the part of the population that had the empath ability would be content to wear the things, no problem.

"Seriously, though," Morgan noted, bringing Wufei's attention somewhat back to him. "What are you doing?"

"Morgan," Wufei said almost exasperatedly as he looked up to his friend. "I learned how to pilot a mobile suit in outer-space with zero gravity when I was all but a child. I started cutting hair at ten, I can speak three languages...repair Gundams, I was the highest threat, and I train a special force units in close and dirty hand-to-hand combat. With that sort of résumé, do you honestly think simple metal-works are beyond me?"

Morgan studied him a moment before he tilted his head with a slightly wicked grin. "Yes, actually, I do."

Wufei considered him without changing expression for a second, then decided the irritation was true enough. "You have two minutes before I chase your ass down."

The fact that Wufei had actually chased him down in the past and given him some fairly significant bruises proved this a genuine threat...so Morgan decided on expediency...and ran.

- -

February 2, A.C. 205. Base. 7 pm

"I need you in Russia!" Jordan exclaimed irritably. "I already told you that!"

"Jordan," Xane protested, "I just got an in!"

"That situation is too damn dangerous!" Jordan's voice rose irritably.

"Just give me two more weeks!" Xane half shouted at him.

Quatre frowned as he tucked his wallet into his jeans. Jordan kept hanging up on Mouthy, but Mouthy would just call back after a few minutes, so the pair were getting into the actual arguing stage.

Considering that commanding officers weren't supposed to argue with their team members, Jordan was going to need to order Xane to leave.

He could tell that wasn't even close to what Jor was thinking.

"Hey," Quatre muttered, moving into the screen and looking to Xane. "You keep this up and he's going to order you to leave."

They both fell silent and settled where they were standing, blinking at the blond. Neither of them had even considered that option.

"You're supposed to listen to us," Quatre added pointedly to the spy. "We know what we're doing."

"But...I could really find something out here," Xane said quietly, looking down. "You know that this is the gate...if I can find out where it's coming from we can close it down..."

"But if you cross those play-boys of yours they'll hunt you down...you'll be a permanent mark, with possibly a bounty on your head," Jordan shook his head. "I'm not doing that to you."

"Just two weeks," Xane protested, looking back to him genuinely. "Only...I can play it like that's all the extension they'd give me and stay with him and get what information I can..."

"Xane," Jordan snapped irritably, "the danger out-weighs the benefits! You should have known I'd pull you out if any of them fell for you, especially Chaoxiang!"

"Jordan, please," Xane protested genuinely, studying his superior with stricken eyes. "You call me your second and I do the least in our group...hell, you're keeping Danielle near you and even she did more than me...just let me try!"

Jordan settled back, still frowning.

Quatre shook his head very slightly, waving vaguely at the screen as he started from the room. Offering his pride up for butchering was a good move. There was no way in hell Jordan would be able to refute that. Xane had won his two-week extension, and Jordan would very likely be in a seriously bad mood for it.

"Where are you going?" Chai asked curiously, moving from the garage to give him an interested look.

"Simone has her free time, I'm gonna steal her and run to town for an hour or two."

"Don't keep her up too late," she cautioned. "Jordan doesn't call them in until about ten..."

"I know," Quatre retorted in mock offense.

"No," she protested, "they still have to get up with everyone else."

Quatre blinked at that, then nodded slightly at the woman and ducked out the front door. He hadn't realized they had to make first light with everyone else. He thought their being on the specials team had them immune to that since they didn't do anything else during the day. His own unit wasn't exactly military trained, and that situation was different.

He slid into his car, then blinked as his phone started ringing. "Hello?" he asked, flicking on the speakerphone option and setting the thing in his lap.

"Hey, little brother," one of his sisters said happily. "How are you?"

"I'm good," Quatre noted, frowning slightly as he put his car in gear. "What's up?"

"You don't know who I am, do you?" she laughed happily.

"I'm sorry, but if I talked to all of you on the phone regularly I probably wouldn't be able to tell who was who. I'm doubting you're Ainslie or Karen, does that count?"

She laughed delightedly. "This is Kiley."

"Oh, hey," he greeted her much more happily. "What's going on?"

"Well," she returned, "Carl is going to have a conference in Inado...it'll be a three day thing."

"That's your husband, right? Not your boyfriend?"

She guffawed at that.

Quatre grinned, heading more properly toward the barracks. "So are you coming to see me?"

"I was thinking about it," she returned. "Me'n Richard. His dad always complains about empty hotel rooms at the end of the day. They'll still be empty when he comes in, but we'll get home eventually."

Quatre laughed at that. "All right, when does it start?"

"Monday," she returned. "But we'll come in Sunday."

"Okay," he agreed happily, noting his girl standing near the entrance of the building. "I have to go now..."

"Is she pretty?" Kiley teased.

"Ravishing," he retorted dryly as she perked up, recognizing his car. "Call me when you get in."

Kiley laughed happily. "All right."

- -

February 3, A.C. 205. Fuzhou, China. 12pm

Chao's eyes were bright as he pulled up in front of the spot Xane was standing at. "Hey, gorgeous, goin' my way?"

Xane flashed him a half-hearted smile, sliding into the car.

"What's wrong?" Chao asked, studying his eyes in concern.

"Two weeks," Xane replied, slumping in his seat.

"What?" Chao protested, putting the car in park. "Why?"

"I've been here this long without getting a job," Xane returned, rubbing at his eyes.

Chao stared at him in disbelief before looking to the building.

"I can appeal at the two week mark," Xane noted pointedly. "If I get a job, they might reconsider."

Chao snarled out a line of curses that were beyond Xane's understanding, putting the car back in drive and pulling out into the roadway. Actually, he was snarling more in some dialect to the point that the only word Xane could understand was "see".

"What?" he asked, making sure his face registered the confusion. "I don't understand..."

That startled Chao, turning to meet his eyes. He studied the guy a moment, then smirked very slightly. "You don't know any dialects, do you?"

"Considering how many of them there are and how widely they vary," Xane retorted, "it doesn't exactly do the schools any good to teach it."

Chao laughed as they pulled up to a stop light, leaning over to mutter something in Xane's ear before biting it.

"What?" Xane protested, meeting his eyes.

Chao's laughter was naughty as he caught Xane's hand in his, focusing back on the road with a smile. "You just need to move in with me," he suggested. "They wouldn't dare cross me."

"I'm...not sure..." Xane protested, looking to the dashboard.

"No, Chris," Chao leaned over to nip at his ear briefly, "if you live with me, that means you have financial backing. And we can find you some stupid little waiter job or something...something that only needs like...ten hours a week," he studied Xane's face a moment. "That would reassure them...and then I'll have a talk with them if they decide to refuse."

Damn it! That was what Xane was trying to avoid. It'd taken him forever to convince Jor that he could stay at all...

"Come on," Chao cajoled, raising their combined hands to his mouth so he could kiss Xane's knuckles. "If it doesn't work, it's only two weeks."

Xane gave him a look at that, smiling very slightly.

"What do you say?" the guy muttered.

"Let me think about it," Xane suggested, meeting his eyes briefly. "I want to change again..."

"You look damn good, though," Chao protested, looking the slacks over before letting Xane's hand go and sliding his own along the guy's inner-thigh. "Keep this on, huh? Make'em all damn jealous because you're with me..."

...so as far as Chao was concerned, he'd gotten his way? Xane didn't protest, sliding back more in his seat. He didn't need to have any real arguments for this set-up, and living with the guy for two weeks wouldn't be hard. Hell, if he didn't unpack all the way, he could leave the scrambler in his bag. There was no way in hell Jordan was letting him stay beyond that anyway, so as long as Xane could direct the guy away from his idea of making the authorities cooperate, it would be fine.

At any rate, he'd have to come up with something significant to prove to his superior that this was the right thing to do.

At least it was only two more weeks.