Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Devil's Due ❯ - 53 - ( Chapter 53 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

— 53 —

March 19, A.C. 205. Arica, Chile. 11 am

“Mrs. Turrell?”

“Yes?” the pleasantly plump woman returned, giving Jordan a curious look.

Jordan smiled at her as Chance followed him closer. “Hi…my name is Tyler Donn,” he extended a hand. “I…served with your son…Stan…down in Coquimbo…back during the wars.”

“Did you really?” she gave him a startled sort of look, then glanced at Chance.

“This is Burion…Dane Burion. We were stationed with your son during the wars.”

She looked between them both happily. “How can I help you?”

“Well,” Jordan returned, shifting where he stood slightly. “We were meeting up with some old friends…and, well, I remember Turrell called you a lot…and we’ve lost track of him.”

“That’s surprising,” she muttered, looking taken aback. “He’s been living in China for a few years now.”

That made them both pause.

“It’s warm,” she mused, looking around. “Come in, come in,” she moved aside to bustle them through the doorway. “Have a seat, I’ll get us some lemonade.”

“That would be wonderful,” Jordan noted, watching as she bustled off into the kitchen.

“Dane Burion?” Chance hissed at him. “What the hell?”

“Hush,” Jor retorted. “It works as well as Tyler Donn.”

Chance shook his head, rolling his eyes as they sat carefully on her couch.

“Don’t mind this old woman,” Mrs. Turrell added, moving back in with a tray…with the pitcher and glasses.

That was surreal…

“…Stan is a good son,” she added happily, offering a glass to Jor and pointing at Chance. Jor passed it down obediently as she poured him a glass and passed it over. “He calls me every other week to make sure I’m all right,” she continued, filling her own glass. “I’m not understanding how you could lose contact with him…he’s always on the phone with his friends…”

“He has a lot?” Chance asked with a bright smile.

She laughed and made a gesture at him. “He has more friends than I can count, I couldn’t even begin telling you names…”

“He tells you their names?” Jor asked blankly.

“Some of them,” she agreed with a smile. “I ask him who’s calling him and he’ll usually say.”

That…might be worth tapping the woman’s phone…

“I can’t say I remember you two…what were your names?” she gave them both confused looks.

“Tyler Donn,” Jordan repeated. “Dane Burion.”

“Huh…” she shook her head and made a gesture. “I’m getting old, that’s all…so I take it you two want to get ahold of him?”

“I was hoping he’d be here,” Jor noted, taking a drink from his glass.

“He hasn’t lived here since…oh…I think he moved in one-nine-eight. When was the last time you talked to him?”

He’d defected in one-nine-eight…

“I think it was in one-nine-seven,” Jor muttered, considering it.

“About then, when we were all sent home,” Chance agreed, noting to himself that he’d been seventeen or so at that point and eighteen when the man had defected.

If she didn’t note that they looked young he’d definitely take the wary-stance on the matter.

The woman laughed at him, flashing him a very bright smile and looking back to Jordan. “You couldn’t have really served with him…you don’t look nearly old enough…”

“You know, when that’s said to a woman, it’s really flattering,” Jor noted to Chance. “But to an adult male…”

The woman laughed again, shaking her head.

“I take care of my skin,” Chance noted, putting on a mock-huffy expression.

The woman laughed again.

“So,” Jordan noted, looking back to the woman. “I have to ask…were you even legal when you had him?”

She gave him a look, though it was obviously amused.

Jordan flashed her a grin, then looked around the house. “Are you home alone?”

“Unfortunately,” she agreed with a sigh. “When Stan’s dad passed away…” she shook her head sadly. “He was so sad. I think that’s why he decided to join the military.”

The nodded, pretending to have actually noticed the man’s father was dead.

That was a stupid thing to overlook…and Chance intended to let Jordan know it.

“I just wanted to drop in and get his number from you,” Jordan mused, looking around again. “But…do you have family in the area? Anyone to help you?”

“Oh, don’t worry yourself about me,” she muttered, pointing at a rifle standing in the corner behind the door. “I can take care of myself.”

He smiled at that a bit. “I more meant if you had any repairs you needed done.”

Her face lit. “Really?”

He shrugged and nodded. “I’m sure the two of us could figure stuff out.”

“Why don’t you tell me what you want for supper?” she asked, her eyes still sparkling. “You might be here a while.”

Chance put on a mock-sigh, then grinned and took another drink from his cup. “Keep this coming and I suppose it won’t be too bad an issue…”

Jor elbowed him.

The woman flashed them both a grin, then raised a hand to her mouth. “If it’s not a bother…I don’t want to impose…the yard is looking a little sloppy…and I do have stuff out and about the yard.”

“No problem at all,” Jordan agreed, thinking back to his car where he had his bits and pieces of equipment.

He was going to tap her damn phone and pray that Stan called her while they were there. It was a one in a million chance…that probably wouldn’t end well…but all they needed was his location.

Jordan doubted highly that the man was in China…but if even that was the case, China was a very large country.

- -

March 21, A.C. 205. Zenica, Tanzania. 12 pm

Xane considered the building he was walking by with interest, noting how many cars were in the driveway and plotting out the most likely lay of the land around the place. He’d followed a man to the building after a questionable incident at the new mission building they were setting up.

It seemed that their intrusion into the city had bugged some of the inhabitants. There’d been a handful of city officials converging on them with demands on what they were doing, and they’d been eyed suspiciously as they set up. They had the full blessing of the Tanzanian government, though, so the officials couldn’t say anything.

That didn’t mean nothing would come of it, and Xane was damn glad he had some of Chance and Wufei’s guys to help. He wasn’t really worried about himself, because if he really had to get out, he had Riley…and Judas was just across the river. There were other people in his group, though, that had nothing to do with his endeavor and really were just there to help.

The spy focused back on his path as if he’d only glanced at the house to check for cars, moving along quickly in front of the place.

He couldn’t wait to start talking to the locals. The sooner he got to the root of the problem, the better. He’d been having fun training with Simone, Trent, and Max. It had been nice to be back with Raul, Riley, and Danielle…let alone Judas or Jordan.

And it didn’t help in the slightest that he really missed Chao…badly. It’d been just over a month since the man’s arrest, and Xane still found himself reaching for the man in his sleep…and if there actually someone at the end of his searching arm, it wasn’t who he wanted…

Xane shook that off quickly, turning a corner as he noted a bus stop and the bus down the road. He needed to get back to Mario or the man might flip his lid. The guy was already irritated that there was no way he could get Alek with him on the mission because it was half mission and half cause, rating a high lethality risk…Xane didn’t need to rile him any further.

Besides, next to his own team, it was nice to have Chance’s guy on hand. He and Mario had always gotten along. …and Mario was strong, a definite shield.

Xane shook his head, partially disgusted by that thought. He’d gone most of his life being the dominant force in any group or pairing. He’d been that same shield that people relied on and needed…and after two months of a relationship built on lies, he wanted to be the vulnerable one.

…maybe James was single, maybe James would take him back.

Xane looked across the street darkly, wondering how badly that really would piss Jordan off…and Chance, really. He wouldn’t do it, he knew he wouldn’t go back to the guy and doubted James would have him back regardless…

He smiled to himself as he hopped on the bus and tossed the requisite amount of change into the counter before going to drop tiredly onto a bench. His mother had been very sympathetic when he’d given her the legal tale of his stay in China. She’d been all coos and hugs, which had not helped since he’d nearly broken down…and then she’d been simply astounded that he’d broken up with James. The fact that he’d really and truly left the guy had actually made her speechless…before she noted that if he found a good woman she’d straighten it out.

The spy wasn’t entirely sure he appreciated the woman’s words themselves…but he did appreciate her sentiment.

Jordan’s training asserted himself enough so he left the bus several stops early and made his way into a convenience store. He wandered the isles until he’d found his drink and one for Mario, then moved up to the counter, eyeing out the front door. No one was obviously following him, but that didn’t mean he hadn’t picked up a tail…

They had clove cigarettes.

Xane’s heart thudded slightly in his chest as he saw the things, and the longing and craving for the habit butted it’s way back into his psyche. He’d stopped when Jor had made it clear that he seriously disapproved of the vice…coupled with the note that clove was more rare than normal mentholated types…and Xane didn’t like the normal ones much at all…

“Sir?” the woman asked curiously, then followed his gaze and grinned at him, turning to grab a pack and toss it into his bag before ringing up the purchase and grinning more at him.

“You’ve ruined me,” he accused her, passing her a bill. “I need a lighter, too.”

She flashed him a white-toothed smile, then winked on him and handed it to him. “On the house.”

“Gee, thanks,” he muttered wryly, sighing as he left the building and dug the pack out, starting to tap it against his leg.

He realized as he set one of the black coffin nails to his lips that Mario was going to kill him…and he wasn’t so sure he’d put up much of a fight. He inhaled slowly and deeply as he stopped walking, closing his eyes in enjoyment.

If Mario was going to kill him, he was gonna make damn sure he enjoyed his last mistake.

- -

March 21, A.C. 205. Negamono, Mozambique. 2 pm

Judas laughed as he sat with his guys outside the building they’d been stocking all day. They were taking an extended break since the place was livable, where it hadn’t been when they’d arrived on Saturday morning. Considering that it was Monday and that meant clean beds, they thought a little congratulations would be in order.

“You want another?” Morgan asked happily, turning to look at Judas with interest. “I know you want another…you want another?”

“Gimme,” Judas agreed, reaching possessively for the cans the older male was pulling out.

Morgan pulled the thing away before Judas could grab it, teasing it in and out of his reach with a wicked grin.

“More!” Jude protested, almost wanting to stamp his foot. Considering that everyone around him was laughing already, he didn’t need to add that to the mess.

“Less!” Morgan replied happily, but conceded and passed him the can.

“Sheesh,” Judas added, carefully wiping the top of the thing with his shirt.

“You have issues,” Morgan noted, popping his own can open happily.

Judas rolled his eyes, moving to sit again as he sipped at his drink.

It had been a fun weekend, and even though the next day he’d have to start his spying in earnest, he was still looking forward to the week.

It was easier with friends there who he didn’t have to pretend with, even if Alek was a damn good guy.

He really hoped this wouldn’t take too long to work out, though. He didn’t like that he’d had to leave Alek virtually alone on the base. Mario was with Mouthy over the river, and Jordan was…well, probably home from Chile by now, but still.

He grinned as Morgan laughed out-right, then glanced down the road…to see a man dart quickly around the corner.

“Hey, Mor,” he muttered, rising to his feet. “Why don’t you cover me why I got scout that road?”

“It’s a dangerous mission,” Morgan suggested, rising up happily. He wasn’t entirely sure the spy was serious about being covered, but he could play the game well enough. “But I’ll back ya, man.”

“I’d choose no other…” Judas returned as they started walking…actually, he was just shy of running because he didn’t want the man to get away completely.

“What’s up?” Morgan asked quietly as the people catcalled after them about five-minutes and something about a closet.

“I saw someone,” Judas explained, flipping the people off behind him so they all laughed.

“Should I remind you that we’re in a city?”

“You’re a funny man, Robert, did you know that?”

“Just thought I’d toss it out there for good measure.”

Judas gestured for him to stop as they reached the end building, then stepped onto the sidewalk…to see the man pretending to be un-ruffled as he climbed onto a bus.

“I told you I saw one!” Morgan announced, pointing beyond Judas at a market down the road a block.

“Oh, like I take you at your word,” Judas retorted happily as the bus drove off. He sighed after it’d turned the corner and looked the rest of the road over.

“I did good?” Morgan asked, bouncing slightly on his toes. “I did good?”

“Yes, good boy,” Judas reassured him…and rubbed his head.

Morgan smacked at him and he laughed, darting away from arm’s reach.

“Ooh, look,” Judas added, pointing in the other direction at a complex of buildings.

“My word,” Morgan turned to study it properly. “Is that a mall?”

“Come on, boy,” Judas muttered, patting his thigh as he started back toward the building.

“You treat me like a dog and I’ll show you how un-trainable I am,” Morgan warned.

“You can’t honestly be any worse than Mouthy, Robert. There’s no way in hell you could be worse than Mouthy.”

“Beware,” Morgan retorted as he fell into step with the other. “I’m fairly certain I could give that boy a run for his money.”

Judas stopped, turning to meet his eyes as he tried not to grin.

“What?” Morgan demanded almost skeptically.

“I thought you were straight,” he returned…then laughed wickedly and darted away from the guy.

He was going to have a rather fun gig this time…too bad he didn’t have someone to fuck with on all his missions.

- -

March 21, A.C. 205. Base. 8 am

“Why are you knocking on my door at eight in the morning?” Trowa asked Raul blankly.

“I missed ya, baby,” Raul retorted, sliding into the living room. He grinned at his friend before moving to the window to crack the curtains very slightly since Trowa and Wufei had opted to put their couch in front of the window. “Shh, don’t wake Wufei.”

“What?” Wufei asked blankly, moving in from the kitchen. “What are you doing here?”

“Seriously,” Trowa agreed. “Any normal day and we’d be at work…why are you knocking on my door at eight in the morning?”

“I was set to take care of the ladies,” Raul reminded them, giving them curious looks. “Shin chased me off last night and Quatre was giving me menacing looks when I tried to go in there this morning…I guess Chai’s not awake.”

“That’s weird,” Wufei muttered, looking to his watch. He shook his head, then sat in the recliner to finish tying off his boot.

“You look all…impressive…” Raul muttered, studying him uncertainly. He wasn’t quite sure what it was about the guy that was different.

Wufei raised his head to give him a look.

“It’s his hair,” Trowa pointed out, moving back into his room. It was hard not to notice the spy-boy watching the Chinese-man intensely. “He hasn’t pulled it back yet.”

“Holy shit, it’s long,” Raul muttered, reaching forward to grab the still wet ends that were hanging over Wufei’s shoulder.

Wufei smacked his hand.

“Ow…sorry,” Raul rubbed at his hand as he studied the Chinese man with interest.

“My soft flowing locks frame my face, I get ya,” Wufei muttered, rolling his eyes as he straightened again, then raised his head very slightly to look down at the soldier.

Raul grinned and looked away, shaking his head as he noted the second oddity. “You don’t have your jacket on.”

“What?” Wufei demanded, stopping to meet his eyes. “Are you actually checking me out?”

Raul started laughing, shaking his head more at the man. “I couldn’t figure out what was different, leave me alone.”

“You should see him shirt-less,” Trowa noted, moving from his room with a shit-eatin’ grin with his boots in one hand.

“I disown you,” Wufei informed Trowa, disappearing back into the kitchen.

Trowa sniggered happily, sitting in the chair Wufei had vacated to put his boots on. “Yeah,” he noted to the soldier. “We’re running late.”

“Everyone’s gonna start talking,” Raul noted without quite moving his mouth. “You know you two’ll be the talk of the cafeteria.”

Trowa flashed him a wicked grin. “No visible marks.”

What?!” Wufei demanded, moving back to the kitchen door…as Trowa laughed happily. When no repeat was offered, he rolled his eyes skyward again and disappeared back into the kitchen.

Trowa laughed more, rising and stomping his feet some to settle the boots…then sat to re-tighten the strings.

“I didn’t realize that Chance really does call us every morning,” Wufei noted, moving back into the room again with three coffee mugs. “And that ringing, even if we don’t answer it, wakes us up on time. Doesn’t it figure that the first time I’m unintentionally late in three years is when our mother-hen is off gallivanting in Chile?”

“Thanks,” Raul returned, taking a cup.

“I woke up, but I don’t really care,” Trowa noted, taking his own cup. “Thanks…but we don’t have to share a shower here, so I couldn’t sleep in that extra fifteen.”

Wufei flashed him a grin before disappearing back into the kitchen.

“You can’t go to work,” Raul protested, realizing what they were both about. “If you go to work, it’s weird for me to be in here.”

“Quatre should be leaving any second now,” Trowa retorted. “Then you can go over and bug Chai. She’ll probably be horrified that Quatre got up and off to work without waking her up.”

Raul grinned at him.

“What are you doing today?” Wufei asked, moving back into the room with three bowls. He passed one to their guest, then set the other on the end of the coffee table before stepping back and stirring his own.

“Wow…thanks,” Raul muttered, studying the oatmeal with interest.

“I get cravings, hush,” Wufei returned, then kicked Trowa’s boot.

“We’re overhauling those damn machines,” Trowa returned. “We found the part that died on the two that were flying…and there were five more from that same lot, but we’re taking a few from each other lot and looking for damages.”

“So you’re not going to need your car?” Wufei pressed, then pointed at the bowl. “Eat.”

Trowa grabbed the bowl as he thought, then shrugged. “I shouldn’t…and I have Doug around so it’ll make more sense for you to have your car.”

Wufei nodded, focusing on his food before raising his eyes to Raul.

Raul looked away, shaking his head.

“Meet us for lunch?” Wufei offered. “I was thinking about running into town in a while and stocking up on microwave friendly stuff…I could pick us all something up for lunch.”

“Sure,” Raul returned, grinning slightly at him.

“Good,” Wufei muttered. “You can get him from the field.”

Trowa snorted, though he was more focused on eating.

“There goes Cat,” Wufei added, his eyes rising to the window as a car was heard to start. “I can’t believe we all over-slept.”

Raul flashed him a grin.

“I’m done,” Wufei noted, taking Raul’s bowl…as the guy took a quick two more bites.

Trowa started laughing…but his bowl was swept away just as fast. “I was eating that!”

“Not fast enough,” Wufei retorted…and disappeared into his room.

Trowa grinned, looking back to Raul. “We can meet at the canteen for a bagel in an hour or something. I’m sure then I’ll be irritated enough to need a break.”

“I’ll dig up Max and the two of us can come help you,” he suggested. “That way you have some light entertainment.”

Trowa grinned at that, then moved around into his own bedroom as Wufei moved back into the hall, buttoning his uniform jacket. He looked back to Raul, then raised an eyebrow as he disappeared more into the kitchen again.

He hadn't put his hair up.

Raul grinned to himself as he stood, deciding he didn’t need to remind the guy about it…he pulled the door open, flinching at the beeping sound that Jordan and Chance had both disabled.

“We’re going to have to kill that,” Trowa noted almost curiously as he moved from his room with his own uniform jacket on. “What are you doing, Fei?”

“Getting our coffee, shit,” Wufei retorted as he moved back into the room…even though the three coffee cups were still sitting on the table. He passed a travel mug to Trowa, then kicked pointedly at Raul’s boots.

“I’m going, I’m going,” Raul muttered, darting out the door. “Sheesh…see you at lunch.”

Wufei flashed him a bright grin, then turned and headed for his car.

“Later,” Trowa muttered to him with a grin as he followed the other.

Raul started across the street, hoping he could talk Chai into making him oatmeal. He hadn’t had the stuff in a year or more, and that part of the bowl he’d eaten hadn’t been nearly enough.