Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Disappearances of Life, Love, and Truth ❯ THE PAST ENDS, THE PRESENT BEGINS ( Prologue )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disappearances of Life, Love, and Truth

SUMMERY: The war ended and life was supposed to move on and become normal for the five young men who had piloted the Gundams. But life doesn’t work as planned, and four of the pilots run in to seemingly one problem after another. And only four of them, because Duo Maxwell pulled a vanishing act that would have made Houdini proud. Now six years later the Preventers need the specialized talents that only Duo possesses, and one of the former pilots is only too happy to go on the seemingly impossible search for him, having his own personal interests at heart. But what the search turns up may just be more then anyone was expecting.



~~Disappearances of Life, Love, and Truth~~
Author: JepardyEmail: jepardy@rocketmail.com
Archives: Mediaminer.org, and if you want it- Just ask!
Category: Drama, Suspense, some Angst

Rating: R to NC-17

Spoilers: A little of the end of the series, as it is a continuation. (No Endless Waltz)
Warnings: Lemon-esk, het, yaoi, serious confusion (done purposely)

Note: The boys don't belong to me. They belong to the greedy people at Bandi. While we all wish they were ours, they're not. Life is cruel sometimes. I’m not making money off of this, and I’m so broke that I had to borrow money from my 9 yr old sister yesterday. So don’t bother even trying to sue me for this.











~~Disappearances of Life, Love, and Truth~~


PROLOUGE:
THE PAST ENDS, THE PRESENT BEGINS



DECEMBER, AC 195

The girl stood in front of the mirror and let out a long sigh. This was it. It was over, everything. The war was done, and the fighting had stopped. The place for soldiers in the universe was now suddenly limited to positions within the newly formed Preventers. That or jail time depending on just what side you had been fighting on, and how far you went in that fight. She didn’t have to worry about the second option, she had been on the right side of the fight. And while some of her tactics may have gone a little too far, none of them went far enough to get her in more trouble then she’d already dealt with. But the Preventers weren’t her style, hell truthfully being a soldier wasn’t her style to begin with. And now for the first time in longer then she could care to remember, she didn’t have to be one. She did her part, she had avenged her ghosts. She was done. She could go and live a happy normal life. Or she could try to live one at least.
And that was the reason the long saddened look was currently on her face. She was happy it was over. But it was still a big shock, and one that would take some getting used too. That and she was going to be leaving behind some really good friends and some even better ‘brothers in arms’ that she’d met along the way. Tonight was the last time she’d ever see them again. After the celebration gala tonight, held at the Peacecraft mansion on earth, thanks to Relena herself, she was leaving for her home again. To try and rebuild a life absent of death and violence. And while she knew she would forever miss some of the people she’d met along the way, she’d enjoy living a calm quiet life even more.
She looked around the guest room she had been put up in for the night one more time. Everything was as neat and tidy as if she had never been there. In fact there were only two signs to indicate that anyone had ever been there. The duffle bag by the door, packed with all of the belongings she had left in life, or at least the ones she wanted, and the trash can next to the open terrace, with flames still licking up past the sides of it once in a while. It had been packed with the items from her life that she DIDN’T want to keep. Items of war, items that reminded her of the war. And what was left of ‘normal’ clothes, her blood stained, torn up, shot through uniform. She didn’t need any of that anymore. And the fire was making sure she could never change her mind on that fact either.
“One more thing.” She whispered out as she turned to look into the mirror once again. Her hair. She grabbed the long pony tail from where it was tied at the back of her neck, and without ever thinking about it, because if she stopped to do so she might not go through with it, grabbed the dagger off of the desk and sliced clean through it. Without a hesitation it was dropped into the still burning trash can, adding burnt hair to the smell of burning blood. Not a pleasant combination. She moved the foul thing further out onto the terrace and shut the door slightly. Making sure that the putrid smell didn’t escape her room and cause others to come barging in wondering what was going on.
Finally turning back to the mirror she let out a half sigh and half laugh. Long hair was supposed to be a trait for girls, and soldiers were supposed to be guys. Yet now that her hair was cut short, she looked more like a girl then she ever had. It was something she had learned a long time ago, when she grew her hair out it made her look more masculine, not feminine. Now standing in front of the mirror with hair that fell to just below her ears, a little light blush on her cheeks, and soft pink on her lips, the first makeup she had ever worn, and a simple soft blue dress on she looked ever bit the young girl she was supposed to be. The soldier was gone.
“Oh, whoops.” She said suddenly as she reached up to pull the contacts out of her eyes. “Almost forgot about you guys.” She told them as the blue lens came out. Soldiers weren’t supposed to be easily recognizable. So she had always worn blue contacts to hid her eyes. Eyes which now showed bright purple.
“That’s everything then.” She spoke out as the lens dropped in with the last few smoldering ashes in the bottom of the trash can.
“I have a party to get to, and a new life to start.” She told the room as she walked over to the door and exited. Everything was done. After the celebration ended she was taking off for good. And she could now. Because now she was no longer a soldier, she was just a girl.
*~*~*
The ball room was crowded with hundreds of people. Anyone who had played a part in the victory of the war was here. And because of that the elegance of the chandeliers and tuxedo-ed butlers with severing glasses, not to mention the orchestra playing ballroom music, was overshadowed by teenage swearing and solider-like crude comments. But still it was amazing. She wasn’t sure she would have known what to do if it had been all ‘prissy proper’. She wasn’t a person who was used to things like that, even before the war. Hell, the dress she was in was more then enough priss for her. It kept tangling around her feet with every step she took. It was less then an hour in to the party when she had taken off the heels and tossed them aside, and not even another ten minutes from that point that she found herself complaining that she wished she could have just worn her jeans. But even with all of that the celebration was a huge success. The drinks and cheer flowed through the room freely as everyone finally began to understand what she already did, the war was over, for good. Everyone could now go back and live normal lives without the worry or fear that had been present for so long.
It was going on two in the morning before the room started to clear out. People finally heading back to their rooms, or leaving for their homes. She was just about to do the same when she spotted him. Her heart flew up in her chest and her moth went dry. She had been hoping all night to see him, but had assumed he had decided not to come. Apparently she had been wrong, because there he was. Standing over on the other side of the room, talking to a group of people, laughing like he no longer had a care in the world. She let her face break out into one of the biggest smiles she’d had all night.
“Now or never.” She whispered under her breath as she stared over toward him. If she ever wanted something more then passing glances and a few brief remarks on how the battle had gone when he happened to be hiding out near her, she had to make her move now.
The group around him had dispersed momentarily, leaving him by himself. She finally made it to stand next to him just as the band started to play a new song.
“Can I have this dance?” she asked out suddenly. No introductions, just right to the point. Apparently some of the cut throatiness of battle had implanted itself into her normal life. He turned to her and gave her a funny smile, a question in his endless eyes.
“I think that’s supposed to be the guys line.” He told her simply.
“Well, I think if I had to wait for you to ask me, I’d be waiting all night.” She told him smiling, trying to remember how to flirt again after so long of not needing to.
“And your probably right, so, it would be my pleasure.” He flashed her a dazzling smile and took her hand, leading her out onto the dance floor. Her heart was soaring, this was more then she could have hoped for. Being held secure in his arms as they made their way across the rapidly emptying floor again and again. Being pulled close against a firm chest as the music turned slow. They didn’t talk, instead satisfied by letting the music and their bodies do the talking for them. Finally when the music broke off, and didn’t start up again, they paused to look out at the rest of the room finally. And it was then they realized that there were only two other couples left in the great ball room, and the staff had already begun to clean up.
“I guess this is goodnight.” She said softly, not quite letting go of her hold on his shoulders.
“I’m not tired.” He said simply, his eyes holding a storm of swirling emotions in them. “Come on.” He told her as he took her hand in his and lead her out of the room, and back toward his. Moments later they were standing on the balcony of his room staring out into the quiet night. He had been a true gentleman and draped his suit jacket across her bare shoulders to fight off the chill in the air.
“Don’t we know each other from somewhere?” He asked her, turning from the landscape to take in the view next to him instead. She just let a laugh pass though her lips.
“You are a Gundam pilot. Everyone knows you.” She told him, her eyes twinkling as she stared up into his.
“Point taken. Okay then, do I know you?” he tried again.
“I don’t think I would have been invited tonight unless you did. At least as a passing face in the heat of battle.” She spoke softly, but it didn’t matter, his ears were tuned in to her and only her.
“It feels like more then that. I feel as if I know you, personally just you. I mean, you look so familiar.” He told her with a small shake of his head, a few stray hairs escaping from his hair tie and falling forward into his face.
“Well, yeah, we have met a few times.” She told him, but losing the smile from her face as she began to become lost in his eyes.
“I wished I remembered better.” His face too had lost all pretenses of smiles and laughs, falling for all of the charm she didn’t know she still possessed.
“What are you going to do now that the wars over?” she changed the subject quickly, turning back out to the landscape. Attempting to break the spell that had seemed to fall over both of them.
“I don’t know. The world doesn’t need soldiers anymore, or Gundam pilots. I was thinking that maybe I’d join the Preventers.” He told her. She turned to him then with more hope then had been in her eyes all night. ‘Maybe, just maybe . . . ’ she thought to herself as she stared at him. At the one she’d wanted, loved, for so long.
“What about you?” he asked in a near whisper, afraid to break the silence around them as if it would shatter the moment they both felt.
“I have a better offer. A chance at life, a real one. No fighting, no killing, just life. Away from here and all of this, somewhere where no one knows me, or any of us.” She said, as she began to lean into him.
“That sounds nice. I think I might like something like that someday.” He also leaned in closer to her, their lips a hairs breath apart.
“Then join me. Come with me, and we’ll make a life together.” Every hope she had was placed in that one sentence. His answer being the difference between a heart broken life alone, and a life that included love, family, him. A slight smile graced his lips, his expressive eyes lighting up. He didn’t answer her though, he just finally closed the distance between the two of them and pressed his lips against hers. Soft and gentle, but seeking all the same. Her own lips parted under his, allowing his tongue to slide inside of her mouth. Whispering lightly against her own.
They moved back inside of the room without ever breaking the contact they had. His hands creased her back, soft and slow as they searched out for the zipper on the dress. Her own hands were tangled in the front of his shirt, hastily undoing the buttons so she could feel the firm muscles hiding underneath it with her own skin. His mouth left hers to take in a deep gasp as she finally succeeded and her hands began to trace his chest, fingers tracing his pebble hard nipples soft enough to tease and arouse, hard enough to promise there was more to come. The zipper of the dress was released in a hush of a whisper, its small straps came off of her shoulders as it fell in a heap at their feet. A shiver ran down her spine, both of the cold night air in the room, and of the excitement his hands were causing as they traced down her sides and back up to gently caress her breasts. Her head tipped back into a moan as his lips traced a path along her neck down to her chest and back again before once again claiming her lips.
The rest of their clothing was lost in a blur as they tumbled onto the bed, hands and mouths all over one another. The only sounds that could be heard were light moans, gasps, and the heavy panting they both were making. All color had left the room, bathed only in the strips of gray light from the moon outside everything was in tones of black and white. His skin a glistening white beaded with sweat, his eyes had gone all but black with lust. His hair picking up a near sliver tone from the light of the moon. Hair that she decided she wanted to feel. She reached behind him and pulled the hair tie out, releasing the long strands to fall forward around his face. She used one hand to brush back the silken locks as the other wandered down his chest and abdomen, feeling the pattern of scars that the war had given him. His mouth crashed against hers in a brutal teeth meshing kiss as he finally gave into the lust surrounding them both and thrust deep inside of her. He could feel her gasp into his mouth. He released her lips and shifted his weight so that he was supported on one arm, using the other to continue to fondle her breasts, plucking gently at her erect nipples as he moved deep inside of her.
“Gods yesss.” She moaned out in a whisper as he began to piston in and out of her, her hips meeting him with every thrust, bringing them both closer and closer to the pinnacle of ecstasy. His hand left its exploration of her chest as he supported himself on both arms, thrusting deeper and faster into her. Her breath hitching every few seconds as his throbbing cock hit that spot deep inside of her. Suddenly his head dipped down and he took her nipple into his mouth sucking harshly on the sensitive tit.
“AHH!” that was more stimulation then her body could take at this point, and she crashed forward and through to orgasm. As her body clenched down on him and exploded, he managed to thrust only a handful more times before he too was in the throngs of orgasmic bliss, shooting deep inside of her. Letting a tight lipped hiss out as he came.
He all but collapsed onto her as he pulled out. Panting heavily and barely able to keep his eyes open he pulled her soft body close to his. She curled up, head on his chest, listening to his slowing heartbeat and allowing herself to be pulled in to sleep by it. Happier then she could ever remember being in her life. She was in the arms of the man she loved more then anything, and hoping that all of this had been his way of answering her question. And if it was, she hoped this meant he said yes.
*~*~*
After the late night that everyone had, no one even thought about getting up until well after noon. It was going on two in the afternoon, and most of the guests had already woken up and left when the Relenla’s own guests of honor, the Gundam pilots themselves, finally began to crawl out of their rooms. A quite disheveled Trowa was the first to step out of his room and into the hallway, and met an equally disheveled Wufei coming out of his own room from across the hall. Trowa’s eyes took in Wufei’s tousled look, and still obvious bags under his eyes despite the late afternoon hour, and raised his eyebrows in silent question. Wufei just let out a soft laugh and smirked with a shrug of his shoulders. Trowa just smiled and let out a soft laugh of his own. Wufei started to ask Trowa the same thing, as looked about the same, before his answer came walking out of Trowa’s room behind him.
“Trowa, do you know where my sweater is? I can’t seem to fin . . . OH” Quatre caught sight of Wufei and stopped talking in favor of turning a bright shade of red. “Hi.” He said simply as he tried to hide his head into Trowa’s shoulder. Wufei just started chuckling at the couple. As the three of them stood there just enjoying the fact none of them had to rush off to battle anymore, a door was heard from around the corner.
“Oh, that’s Heero’s room.” Quatre said, his face lighting up into a smile, and losing the blush from his cheeks finally.
“Good, Relena is probably going to be kicking us out soon. We’d better get ready.” Wufei said simply looking in the direction of the hall, waiting for Heero to come around the corner.
“I’ll go get him.” Quatre offered as he half jogged down the short hall and disappeared around the corner. He reappeared less then a second later, even redder then he had been when he stepped out of Trowa’s room.
“Not Heero?” Trowa asked as he looked at the blonde.
“Lets just say that I don’t think Relena will be kicking us out anytime soon.” He mumbled as he came to stand next to the others once again. Neither of the other two had to ask him to explain though as a split second later Relena appeared from around the corner. Blushing a bright fusca and frantically trying to hold her scarf from the night before around her very rumpled, and with a broken strap, dress. She just rushed down the hall never making eye contact with any of them. The wide-eyed looks that were exchanged between them were quickly traded in for smirks and laughs as the sound of Heero’s door opening again echoed back to them, followed by a very satisfied, and smirking, Heero appearing from around the corner.
“Well, I think my date was the only one who seemed to have enough sense to leave last night.” Wufei spoke out suddenly, causing all four of them to crack up laughing. Finally when everyone had settled down it was Quatre who noticed that they were still down one member of their team.
“Where’s Duo at?” he asked glancing around the empty hall.
“Probably still sleeping. He was still dancing with some red head girl when I left the party.” Heero told the group as he began to head to stars leading down to the kitchen, casually glancing behind him to see if the others were following, but obviously not really caring if they did or not.
“Really, he was with a blonde guy when I, uh we, left.” Quatre added as he and Trowa followed Heero.
“Well I was one of the last to leave, and he was still with some brunette girl at that time.” Wufei told the others, but his gaze strayed to Duo’s closed door for a few seconds before also heading down the stairs.
“In that case I would think he needs all the sleep he can get.” Trowa said with a small chuckle.
*~*~*
The four boys sat around the servant’s table in the kitchen with bowls of cereal and toast instead of joining the remaining guests around the dinning table for formal brunch. Finally having a chance to enjoy their first real day of ‘normal’. It was obvious though from Heero’s stoic, half-hearted attempts at conversation and Trowa’s near complete silence that the true realization of peace hadn’t sank into all of them yet. They now had to learn to come out of the shells all of them had built and become the 15-year-old boys they truly were. But it was still a start down that road that they were building, and that was what counted.
“So, now what?” Quatre asked as they were starting to clear the table nearly an hour later.
“A shower and a ticket out of here.” Wufei replied, taking Quatre’s words for there most literal meaning.
“No, I mean where do we all go from here? Now that we don’t have to fight anymore, now that the Gundams are gone. Now.” He explained. A heavy silence fell over the group then. None of them had ever planed on living through the war to have a ‘now’, so there were no plans as for what to do when it came.
“Relena offered me a position as her privet bodyguard.” Heero said finally, breaking the silence first, and proving he was already on the way to becoming more whole. And while the mention of Relena did cause a few light snickers once again, it also opened the door for everyone else.
“I’m planning on heading back to L-4, as my fathers only son I now have a Fortune 500 company to run.” Quatre told the others, shooting Trowa a sad look as he did so. Trowa offered the blonde a small smile in return.
“Cathrine said there was an opening in the circus waiting for me. She’s my family, and its about time I actually got to know her as that anyway, so that’s where I’m heading.” He told the others.
“What about you Wufei?” Quatre asked the Chinese man when it appeared he wasn’t going to say anything. The Chinese man let out a soft sigh.
“I was thinking about joining up with the Preventers. Maxwell mentioned he was planning on joining, and the idea kind of stuck with me.” He said softly. Finalizing the truth that they all knew was coming. The fact that they were all heading in opposite directions now, and possibly losing that bond of friendship that they had formed during the war.
“Speaking of Duo, I wonder where he is? I figured if nothing else the smell of food would get him out of bed.” Heero spoke up as they all started to head up the stairs again.
“I’ll go check on him.” Wufei hastily said as he all but ran ahead of the others, eager to get to Duo’s room. To him at that moment, he needed to see that braided baka more then anything right now. He didn’t care how many women or men Duo might have taken to his room last night, hell he’d had one of his own, he just had to see him, had to talk to him. He had been ignoring the tugging feeling in the pit of his stomach for too long. The feeling that kept pulling him closer to the brash American. He ignored it, relying on his upbringing that things like that were wrong, two men were not supposed to be together. Things like that were shunned. But in the last two days that had changed.
While Duo had forever been the complete flirt of the group, going after anything on two legs regardless of sex, it seemed he had a special spot for Wufei. Constantly taking the flirting to new heights. At first Wufei thought it was just Duo’s way of torturing him, knowing full well what Wufei’s preferences, or more importantly upbringing, were. But lately Wufei had begun to take it more seriously, to not think of it as a nuisance but instead as what it was, flirting. And even though that sent his head spinning with everything from shame to lust, he couldn’t help what he was feeling. Then two days ago when the last blow of battle had been landed and all the pilots joined up together on the Peacemillion, Duo had kissed him. Sure he had hugged all the others with shouts of victory and glee, but Wufei was the only one he kissed. Wufei hadn’t reacted at that moment, he couldn’t. He was fighting with his own mind over a hundred different feelings, but it did get him thinking more then ever about the braided boy. Then this morning when he saw Trowa and Quatre come out together, in more ways then one, he realized that for the rest of the world, same sex couples weren’t shunned or ‘wrong’. They were just accepted and given the same rights and respect that any couple had. And he finally realized then that he couldn’t leave Duo. That his plan to join the Preventers had very little to do with wanting to join them, and more to do with wanting to stay close to Duo. Duo was joining, he had to too.
Now he was ready to let the American know. Or at least to talk to him about everything he was feeling. He anxiously knocked on the door. Knowing the others weren’t that far behind him, and hoping he would have a chance to speak with Duo by himself.
“Maxwell, come on, get up already.” He called out through the door after his second knock and still no answer. “Duo, please, open the door.” He tried again.
“No answer?” Quatre asked as the rest of the gang joined Wufei.
“No.” Wufei said, half disheartened at seeing his chance to get Duo alone slip though his fingers for the moment. It would have to wait until later.
“Duo? Duo get up already. It’s late. We were going to head out soon.” Quatre called though the door. Still there wasn’t the slightest sound from behind the door.
“Stand back.” Heero told the others as he readied himself to break the door down. Everyone but Trowa backed away. Trowa instead just stepped closer and grasped the door knob, easily turning it. He gave Heero a raised eyebrow look as he opened the door.
“It wasn’t even locked.” He said with a smirk as the door swung open allowing all of them into the room. And the shock was instantly evident on everyone’s face. They were used to the messy, sloppy Duo. They were expecting a pile of clothes on the floor, not all necessarily his after the amount of people he had been seen with last night, a pile of junk on the dresser, and a very rumpled bed with Duo in the middle of it. Instead they were taking in the neatest looking room they had ever seen. There wasn’t even any evidence that ANYONE had ever been in there, much less Duo. No clothes, no junk, and the bed was immaculately made. Wufei casually started to look around, trying to find any sign of the boy.
The rest followed his lead and started checking out the room as well.
“Maybe he crashed in someone else’s room.” Heero hypothesized as he stepped out from the just as empty and tidy bathroom.
“I don’t think so.” Trowa told him as he continued to stare at the mirror above the dresser. Or more appropriately the note tapped to the mirror. His eyes reading and rereading it before he grabbed it off and handed it to Quatre behind him.
“He’s gone.” Quatre whispered out as he quickly read the short note.
“Hn.” Was the most Heero had to offer as he grabbed the note from Quatre and skimmed it before handing it off to Wufei.
“What?” Wufei was in near shock, he couldn’t be gone, he just couldn’t. Not when Wufei had finally figured out just how much the braided American meant to him. As his eyes took in the note though, he knew it was true.

‘Hey Guys,
Sorry for the abruptness, but I was never one for long goodbyes. I know I said I was thinking of joining the Preventers, but I was only thinking, and a better offer came along. So I’m taking it. You were all great friends and I’ll miss you, but such is life.
Goodbye,
D. Maxwell
P.S. Don’t try to look for me. You won’t find me
.

“He really is gone.” Wufei said as he looked up from the note and into the faces around him. Sadness and disbelief was there, but above it all was a slow acceptance forming on everyone’s faces. Total acceptance of three things they never before now could have believed. The war was over, they were all starting new lives away from fighting and death, and Duo Maxwell was gone.
*~*~*
NOVEMBER, AC 197

“I do.” Heero said as he stared into Relena’s eyes, holding her hands firmly in his own.
“I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss the bride.” The priest spoke loud and clear. As Heero dipped his head took his new brides lips with his own the small church erupted into cheers. Only friends and family had been invited, but everyone knew about the wedding. Relena Peacecraft-Dorlin marrying her privet bodyguard, former Gundam pilot Heero Yuy, had made every headline on the earth and in all of the colonies. And when you added in a guest list that included all of the other former pilots and Relena’s own brother, Zechs Marquise, it had become one of the biggest events since the end of the war.
Trowa and Quatre had accepted immediately, as each others dates. During the whole ceremony they had been grasping hands and stealing looks at one another. Looking every bit the perfect couple. Wufei had also come, but without any date. He had a few girlfriends, and even a boyfriend or too, in the last two years. But no one he would count as special. So he had come by himself, hoping to find that someone special there. In the seat that had been reserved next to his own, the seat for Duo Maxwell. But despite the invitations sent out to everywhere anyone could think he might be, and all of the publicity the wedding had, Duo never showed.
“OH LOOK!” Someone yelled out suddenly. “Relena’s going to throw the bouquet!” all the girls started screaming and running up to hopefully be the one to catch it. Instead it landed right in the arms of one feverishly blushing Arab, Quatre. Trowa had his own good laugh over that, until Heero threw the garter and it just about landed in his hand. And the smirk on Heero’s face proved that it hadn’t been an accident.
“Look now little brother,” Cathrine told him moments later. “Now everyone knows who the next wedding invitations will be coming from.” The whole area was filled with laughter and encouragement towards the two then. But the two of them were blushing so hard the only noise they could hear was the blood pounding in their ears. Wufei smiled and joined in the celebration, pushing thoughts of the braided American he still missed with his whole heart away for the time being.
*~*~*
The day had gone perfectly and everyone was still in the best of spirits as the party finally began to end late in the night. The newlyweds said their goodbyes and thanks as they left to start their honeymoon, and everyone else filtered out shortly after. Soon the only people left in the reception hall were Wufei, Quatre and Trowa.
“I’m surprised Duo didn’t come.” Quatre told the others as they began to gather up their things to leave as well.
“Well Heero said they had no way of getting him a formal invitation. Everything he and Relena sent out just got returned.” Trowa told him as he put an arm around his boyfriend and pulled him close as they walked out.
“Well, I really wished he had come anyway. I miss him.” Wufei told the two of them, eyeing their closeness and feeling the pangs of jealousy through him.
“I never saw you as the sentimental type Wufei.” Trowa told him.
“Yeah, well, whatever. Anyway, I had better get going, it’s a long drive for me yet. Enjoy yourselves and I hope to hear from you again soon.” He told them in parting as he headed off to his car, waving behind him. Trowa and Quatre yelled out their goodbyes as they too headed over to their own cars.
“So, will you be coming back to my place for the night?” Quatre asked Trowa as they stood in the parking lot. Hope filling his eyes. This was the first time in nearly two months that the two of them had seen each other in person. Running the Winner corporation meant that Quatre didn’t have much free time to travel, and with the circus all Trowa could do was travel.
“I want to . . . ” Trowa started. After he didn’t say anymore though, Quatre finished for him.
“But you have to catch a flight. Again.” It was a familiar fight the couple had. The distance between them was something neither of them could seem to get over. Quatre was all but permanently stuck on L-4. And lately it seemed the whole world was out to destroy his company anyway, giving him even less time for himself. And the circus traveled all through the colonies and the earth, meaning that only a handful of weeks a year was he anywhere near Quatre. The long distance relationship was straining both of them terribly, but they were trying to make it work. As time went on through, the effort both of them were putting into it became less and less.
“I’ll call you.” Was all Trowa said as he gave Quatre a chaste kiss and got into his own car, heading off to the airport.
“Same here.” Was Quatre’s own reply.
They did call each other, but as time went on it was less to talk and more to ague as plans were changed time after time. Trowa’s circus performance on L-4 got canceled twice and when he finally got the chance to get to Quatre, the blonde was stuck in meetings and trying to fight off a hostile take over the entire time. They never even had a chance to see each other face to face. It was the June after Heero and Relena’s wedding that the final call between the two of them took place. With one twenty-minute phone conversation the perfect couple of nearly three years was over. And while the two of them really felt bad about it, they really couldn’t miss each other, you couldn’t miss what was never really there. The wishes that things were different were made, but no tears were shed from either one, and the decision stood. Trowa and Quatre were done as a couple.
*~*~*
FEBRUARY, AC 199

“I’m pregnant.”
“What?” Was the only thing that could find its way out of Heero’s mouth. His attention immediately was detoured from the file he was holding and to his wife. His cobalt eyes boring into her with suspicion and disbelief instead of the warmth and love that one would expect to see from a husband when he was told news such as that.
“I said I’m pregnant Heero. Almost three months along.” Relena told him again, her voice as hard and cold as his eyes were to her. She stood there in the doorway to his study, arms crossed over her chest, waiting for his response.
“So, what am I supposed to do about it?” he asked her bitterly as he turned back to the file in front of him. Completely ignoring the very irate woman, who was now storming over to his desk.
“HEERO! What the hell is that supposed to mean? I tell you I’m carrying your child and your only response is to ask what you’re supposed to do about it!” Relena screamed at him.
“You’re carrying MY child? That can’t be proved until a DNA test comes back.” He snapped right back at her.
“Heero, my god! What the hell are you saying?” she tried to fain shock and disbelief at his accusation, but failed miserably.
“Come on Relena, we both know damn well what I’m saying.” Heero had never quite learned how to fully keep his temper under wraps, and right now Relena was pushing his buttons real well.
“Heero that’s ridiculous, I . . . ”
“You what? Just slept with everyone on your staff and figured I wouldn’t find out? Come on, I spent over half my life figuring out things I wasn’t supposed to know. And you weren’t all that discreet either.” Heero interrupted her.
“That is uncalled for, I did NOT sleep around like a loose cheerleader. But yes, fine, I did have an affair. I really didn’t think you’d care about that. You don’t care about anything else in our relationship.” She was nearing tears at this point, and completely fed up with the games the two of them had been playing for over a year now.
“BULLSHIT!” Heero screamed out at her as he stood up finally, slamming his fists down on the desk hard enough to nearly crack the wood. “I have bent over backwards for you Relena. For the last four years I have done nothing but give you everything that you wanted. After we were married you said you didn’t want me to be your bodyguard, hating that I was ‘more concerned over your safety then you yourself’, wanting our public appearances to look better. So I quit . . . ”
“Only to turn around and join the Preventers!” Relena was near sobbing, but not about to back down.
“Yeah I did. You know I’m not the type to sit home and do nothing. You knew that when I asked you to marry me.” Heero was almost thankful the desk was between the two of them, it was probably the only thing keeping Relena alive.
“So get a nine to five job at some office. Not one that keeps you away from me all hours of the day, not to mention I never even know if you’ll be alive at the end of the night!”
“A nine to five job, get real Relena! The only skills I have are weapons training, hacking systems, piloting, and combat. My experience is limited to piloting a Gundam and fighting a war. The best I could hope for in the rest of the world, besides Preventers, would be a fast food restaurant, maybe.” His hands were turning white from how hard he was holding back the urge to just hit her.
“Then do that! It would be better.”
“What, and be miserable the rest of my life just to make you happier. Sorry, I’m through with that. I wanted one thing, one damn thing for myself. And when I got, you hopped right into the first bed you found.”
“What was I supposed to do? You were never around and I needed someone. I’m sorry Heero, but now with the baby . . . ” Relena tried to switch from anger to pleading but it was too late.
“Sorry doesn’t cut it anymore Relena. I’ve had enough of all of this. Call me when the DNA results are in. Then we’ll talk.” Heero stormed out of the room slamming the door behind him. He had already given up too much for her and he couldn’t keep it up any longer.
On August 14, 199 AC Emily Yuy was born, two days after her birth Heero was delivered a copy of the paternity test results. A week later the divorce papers were signed, and he filed to have his name removed from the girls birth certificate, he won. He refused to have anything to with Relena, or Emily, again. He was not the girls father and wasn’t planning on trying to be either.
*~*~*
THE PRESENT: DECEMBER AC 201

Wufei snorted gently as he walked down the hall to Lady Une’s office. He was being called there to discuss arrangements for the anniversary celebration. Hints of it had been circulating like crazy for the past two months. Now Une was calling both himself and Heero in to discuss ‘the rumors I’m sure you’ve heard regarding the anniversary gala’, in Une’s exact words. In his opinion it was a stupid idea to have this party anyway. People were doing there best to completely move on and forget the war, this was just going to bring up a lot of bad memories for a lot of people. Himself included. He had yet to truly move on after the events that ended the war. Sure for the most part he had moved on and left the war behind him, the only thing he couldn’t quite get over was the abrupt departure of one Duo Maxwell.
He had tried to move on, to date others. But no matter how deep the relationship seemed to be getting, he could never fully tear his heart away from the thought of Duo. And while that still did confuse him from time to time, as it seemed no matter how much dating Wufei did, Duo was the only male that had ever inspired those feelings. A woman once in a while may have come close, but never another man. He still couldn’t get over the American completely even after all of these years.
“Quit day dreaming.” Was the half mumbled greeting Heero bestowed upon him as he too came to join Wufei outside of Lady Une’s office.
“I wasn’t day dreaming.”
“Then why are you just standing here? Why not just go in?” Heero asked him as he proceeded to walk in to the office, shooting Wufei a smug look as the Chinese man followed him, looking slightly miffed at being caught spacing out.
“Good afternoon gentleman.” Une greeted them as she motioned for them to both sit down. Dispelling any other thoughts except those of the matter at hand instantly from Wufei’s mind.
“Ma’am.”
“Lady.” they both greeted her in the same manner as they took their seats. Though they both knew why they were here, neither of them knew just why she had wanted to discuss the anniversary plans with them personally, other then the fact that they had been an influential part of the war. But if that was the only reason, then others such as Noin, Marquise, and even Trowa and Quatre should have been there as well.
“I assume you both know why here?” she asked them as she stared at them from across her desk.
“The anniversary gala?” Wufei asked her stoically, that is what she had told them personally on the phone less then 20 minutes ago after all.
“Yes and no.” she told him.
“What do you mean?” Wufei questioned the woman. Heero just nodded his head and smirked a little. A tell tale sign that he probably knew more then he was letting on.
“There is actually no anniversary gala. It was a ruse that we invented in order to try and gain information.” Une explained to the two of them.
“I thought as much.” Heero said smugly.
“How did you know?” Wufei turned on him slightly. Heero may have been a great soldier, but he hadn’t been a Preventer for nearly as many years as Wufei had. And in that Wufei was his superior, and normally knew of privileged information before Heero.
“Because no anniversaries are held at six years. Either they’re held every year, or at five year intervals. Six years just doesn’t make sense.” He told Wufei simply.
“That would be correct Lt. Colonel Yuy. And I am sure both you and Colonel Chang are now wondering exactly why the ruse, am I correct?” Une asked the two officers before her. They both nodded their heads, giving their answer.
“For the last six years the Preventers have been working on ensuring the peace of the earth and the colonies. And in doing so more then once have we encountered a rebel fraction calling themselves Vurno Bindex. It’s main target has always been past war veterans, from either side of the fight. Using them to attempt to make a point of war violence in general, rather then one side or the other.” Une told the young men, starting a tale that was sure to forever change them.
“And I take it that they have done something drastic recently to warrant all of this attention.” Heero spoke, not really asking his commanding officer though, just stating the facts as he saw them.
“Yes.” Lady Une answered.
“Why now? Why after all of this time?” Wufei asked her. After sitting still for six years, it didn’t add up that they would suddenly make a move.
“It’s not really just now.” She explained. “They have been active ever since the end of the war, just in very subtle ways. For example, they have been gaining power in the corporate business world, within the military ranks, and government offices. Doing everything in very small steps, waiting until the time was right. Waiting until everyone had seemingly grown complicit and moved on from the war.”
“Waiting until no one was expecting it.” Heero said simply.
“But why haven’t we noticed anything?” Wufei asked. “If they target anyone who was influential in the war, why haven’t myself and Heero, or some of the other more known pilots and soldiers been targeted?” Wufei asked her.
“You have.” was the unexpected answer.
“How so?”
“Explain.” Were the only responses that came from Wufei and Heero.
“Lt. Colonel Yuy, when you first decided to join the Preventers, your application was at first denied completely. Then after two special trails and hearings you were allowed to join only under sever restrictions for the first year you were with us. Do you recall that?”
“Yes Ma’am I do.” Heero told her, fighting the urge to clench his jaw at the memories her words brought up. None of that, or the issues that came with it were anything that he really wanted to remember.
“Well the reason for all of that was that the privet backers that help to fund the Preventers, and also head up the board of directors, requested for that after a very close vote. And as it turns out the votes that led to that decision came from members of Vurno Bindex who had managed to infiltrate on to the board. Or at least bought off the previously honest board members.” Une explained. Looking over at the faces of mild disbelief before her she had to chuckle slightly.
“As I said, it was very subtle ways they were taking out their revenge.” She continued then. “Colonel Chang, you have been with the Preventers for six years now and also, based partly on your past, have been assigned some of the most dangerous jobs that have based through our doors. Correct?”
“Yes Ma’am.” He replied, wondering where she was going with this.
“And yet despite all of our recommendations and pressure on the members of the board you have never been assigned a partner. Leading to several instances of your self being placed in harms way, and also more then once have you been seriously injured on the job. Simply because of the fact that you had no partner and hence no real form of back up. Again that can, and has, been linked to Vurno Bindex.”
“And the others?” Wufei questioned. “Colonel Noin and Colonel Merquise’s extended probationary periods?”
“Yes, again Vurno Bindex.” she told them. “And you are not the only ones either. I’m sure your both know of Le Grand Vieux Cirque?”
“Of course. That’s the circus troupe that Trowa performs with.” Wufei answered.
“Yes, but because of both Vurno Bindex’s influential placement in the government and Mr. Barton’s involvement in the group one of about every three of their performances have been canceled. Because of that the group is struggling to get by and simply make enough money to live off of. And nearly all of their privet donations have also dried up. And I know for a fact that you two know of the take over attempts, hostile and otherwise, on the Winner Corporation since Mr. Quatre Raberba Winner took over?” she asked.
“Yes Ma’am.” both men answered out almost simultaneously.
“Vurno Bindex again?” Heero asked.
“Yes.”
“No offence Ma’am, but other then being a nuisance what have they really proved?” Heero asked her then.
“Your right that they are a nuisance, but on top of that they were also forcing everyone’s attention on the more mundane side of life. Away from thinking about possible retaliations from the war, and also breaking down moral, and disturbing lives to a very large extent.” Her eyes lingered on Heero for a moment as she said that.
“Well, what does this have to do with the rumors of a anniversary gala?” Wufei questioned then.
“We needed to get information from all aspects of this situation. The different ways that former veterans were being targeted, weather they knew it or not. And also just how deeply involved in everything Vurno Bindex was. Trying to get enough information to stop them before they did make a drastic move. And using the cover of an anniversary we were able to gather just about all the information we needed. But unfortunately it wasn’t in time.” Une paused here, knowing that what came next would be a shock to the agents sitting in front of her.
“What do you mean by that?” It was Wufei who first broke the silence.
“Vurno Bindex made their first big move nearly two weeks ago. The made an all out attack on Mr. Winner.” She told them.
“WHAT?”
“What happened?” both Preventers officers all but leapt off of their chairs. They had stayed in contact with both Trowa and Quatre ever since the end of the war, and neither of them had heard anything about their blonde friend being attacked.
“During a supposedly routine board meeting of the heads of the Winner Corporation, an unknown attacker escaped security, entered the board room, and proceeded to discharge a full clip of a .45 Ruger in to the room.” Une paused just long enough to hold up her hand, momentarily silencing the two before they started asking the thousand questions she knew must be going through their heads. “Four board members were injured, but it was obvious that Mr. Winner was the main target of the attack, as it was all seemed to be directed at him. While some quick thinking and acting on his part did in fact save his life, he did take three bullets, one chest shoot and two abdomen. Before you ask we do have assurance from the best doctors Prevents have at our disposal that he will make a full recovery.” She could instantly see a sigh of relief come out of both of them.
“He is still in intensive care, but doing better each day. The reason that you didn’t know of this is that we needed to keep it as quite as possible. We at first didn’t know if it was simply something to do with the Winner Corporation, or if indeed it was an act of Vurno Bindex. We immediately put Mr. Winner up in a maximum security hospital just in case. Our suspicions though were confirmed earlier in this week.” She explained part of the situation, and gave more forbiddance to the rest. Both men in front of just and waited for her to continue, almost afraid of what might be coming next.
“While it was kept in complete secrecy the situation with Mr., Winner, some news of the attack did leak out, and on his own request we contacted Mr. Barton to let him know of the situation and of Mr. Winner’s condition. After we did so Mr. Barton took a leave of absence from Le Grand Vieux Cirque and was escorted by Preventers officials to the hospital that Mr. Winner was in.” A small smirk floated across both men’s faces. It was no secret that Trowa and Quatre still had feelings for one another, and no surprise that if one of them was hurt, the other would come to their aid as soon as possible. But then again, they all were still good friends. If either of them had known of Quatre’s situation they would have been right by his side too.
“After Mr. Barton was also secured in the hospital with Mr. Winner, we learned of another attack. A more serious one, on Le Grand Vieux Cirque itself, or more appropriately on one of their other members. Cathrine Bloom.” Une continued.
“No.”
“Trowa’s sister. Is she…” Wufei didn’t need to finish his sentence. One look at Lady Une’s face told him all he needed to know.
“She died before the medics could even arrive at the scene. And two attacks so close in nature and timed so perfectly with one another could never be a coincidence. It then confirmed for us more then ever that Vurno Bindex was in fact behind it all. And the information that we were getting from all of our contacts, under the anniversary ruse, also supported that theory.” She paused momentarily again so that all of that could sink in. Once it seemed that the two men before her were ready to go on, she did so.
“Now the both of them are being held at the hospital still, and all protection efforts for them both have been doubled. As well as granting them both Honorary First Lieutenant status within the Preventers. Allowing both of them to be armed at all times, and also to make most of the decisions regarding their own protection. Knowing that both of them would be the most comfortable with that, and also knowing that given the history they have as Gundam pilots, they are more then capable of doing so.”
“No offense Ma’am, but your not going to attempt to do the same thing to us are you?” Heero questioned her. Neither one of them would ever be able to handle being placed under protective custody.
“No. I have enough trust in both your abilities to know that you are more then capable of taking care of yourselves. Besides at this moment Vurno Bindex seems to have set their goals on a more global, or even universal, level.” She explained to them.
“And what would that be?” Wufei asked.
“I’m sure you both know that the battleship Peacemillion was retired and placed in storage after the end of the war.” the two men before her nodded their heads, allowing her to continue. “Nearly two months ago a team was sent in to it, to disable all of its armaments and then it was going to be turned in to a public museum. Showing both the horrors and victories that the war brought everyone. The team though was not a Preventer team. Instead they were from a privately backed corporation. And last month they lifted the ship out of storage and returned it to orbit around the earth. No one thought to much of it at the time. Assuming they were just getting ready for when it opened as a museum, that was until last week. We received a message from the Peacemillion stating that it was fully restocked and operational as a warship. And that it was under the control of none other then Vurno Bindex itself. And that is something we can not allow to either be relished to the public, or to continue. We have to get the Peacemillion back, and now. And that is why I asked you two here today.”
“So what now? We go after Vurno Bindex full force?” Heero asked.
“Or are you planning on using us as bait?” Wufei speculated.
“Neither.” She told them.
“What?”
“Then what are we supposed to do?” both were being to tire of this fast, being left out of the loop when their good friends were injured, and then after being filled in finally, told they were as of yet expected to do nothing.
“Despite everyone we have going after Vurno Bindex under the ruse of the gala, and even directly trying to infiltrate them, we have not actually been able to gain any hard and fast info on them, or been able to figure out who the leaders are and how to get to them. We need them infiltrated and we need information on them fast. And at this point we don’t really care how we have to go about getting that information. We know that trying to put someone in undercover wont work, they have more contacts in more places then we could ever track down with out resources as they are. It would be entirely too unsafe. We need someone to go in to them in full stealth mood. Never being noticed, tracked, or discovered and to bring us back all of the information that we need so that we can bring them down. As traitors, instigators, and a threat to the safety of the earth and colonies. Bringing down both their shady underhand side and the public side that they show the world as business leaders, politicians, and such.” She could see the baffled looks on both men’s faces. Neither of them were known for their stealth capabilities, both working better in the open and fully loaded. She ignored that for the moment and continued, it would all become clear to them in a moment.
“Because of the not quite by the book way of going about this, we can’t actually use any true Preventer to do this work. And again, Vurno Bindex might already know of everyone we have in the Preventers already and be expecting that. We need to throw some one at them that they won’t be suspecting, and wouldn’t have any problems working on the outside of the law.”
“Who?” asked Heero, that was a tall job for anyone to fill. Especially if she was finding them outside of the Preventers. That meant they were more then likely to be a criminal, and wouldn’t probably be up for helping them out.
“As head of the Preventers that decision fell to me. And with all of my background, and contacts, and memories it actually wasn’t that hard to think of the only person who could possibly help us in this situation. Only one person I knew of had the unbeatable stealth skills we need, wouldn’t be bothered by working outside of the law, and would more then likely give us as much help as we needed, considering they have done so before. What I need from you to is to bring them in for me. They have been out of contact with the Preventers and the world as a whole for sometime now, and I believe that if anyone were to finally find them and get them to help us, it would be you two.” She glanced out at the two before her, Heero’s eyes were picking up a bit of recognition. She smirk as she knew he probably already realized who she was about to ask them to go and get. After six years of no contact, it was finally time to go on the hunt. And only the two before her had the chance to succeed.
“I need the two of you to locate and recruit to the Preventers for the sole purpose of stopping Vurno Bindex, Duo Maxwell.”


TBC…..

Please review! Any and all comments more then welcome!! This is only one of three different stories I am currently working on, and if no one reviews, it will probably die right here and never go any further. Please!