Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Eagle In Flight ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

This is a disclaimer. Please note the dis before claimer. As in, I make no claim. In other words, the characters in this work are not my own. I'd like to think the storyline at least somewhat original, any similarity to other works, fiction or non-fiction is entirely unintentional.
 
Eagle in Flight
 
Chapter 2
 
“We have arrived at L2 G117L66. Please stand by for disembarking.”
 
Heero glared at the wall speaker in the corner of the room. He would not be getting off here, he would wait on the ship until his friends returned and they went to L2 RC54VH9 for the duration of the Faire. He might not have minded this, were it not for the fact that he was not staying on board solely of his own intent. No, he had been ordered by his well meaning but oh so dead friends to remain on board the Andante until they arrived at L2 RC54VH9. He understood their reasoning: the spike three days ago had scared them, not that it had been particularly spectacular but it was probably the worst one that had happened in their presence. This did not change the fact that he was . . . forcibly confined to the ship, but it made it more understandable. Heero sighed, reached over to the bedside table, grabbed his noise reducing headphones and sat down at the desktop monitor, opening the flight simulation for a commercial CS 128 shuttle. Maybe he could work on his license qualifications while he waited. He couldn't take the test until he got back to Ganymede but the practice simulations were pretty good, if not as intensive as a full simulation suite.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------
 
“. . . And I welcome you to the Winner Yearly Faire 198. Have fun!” Quatre smiled at the crowds as he ended his speech before turning and walking off the stage to where Trowa and Wufei were waiting. Handing his earpiece and microphone to a stage hand he smiled once more, “Let's head back to the ship. I don't need to make another appearance until the closing ceremonies and we promised Heero we would leave as soon as possible.”
 
“Then let us go. I know Heero isn't the only one looking forward to our stay on L2 RC54VH9.” Wufei smirked, “Also, the sooner we get you out of this crowd the safer.”
 
Quatre pursed his lips and blew softly, “I know, I know, but I really do think you all are taking this far too seriously. It's not as if whoever made those threats against the center would come after me.”
 
Trowa glared, “And why wouldn't they come after you? Quatre Winner and his annual tour are practically the biggest symbol of Ganymede Center there is, at least to the average person. All of which means that you are highly recognizable. So come on.”
 
Trowa and Wufei moved to sandwich Quatre between them before walking back towards the ship to collect Heero for the trip to L2 RC54VH9.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------
 
Heero paused the simulation looked up at the sound of a knock on his door, “Yes?”
 
“It's Quatre. Are you ready to go?”
 
“Yes. One minute.”
 
Heero quickly exited the simulation and put the computer in on standby. Walking over to the bed he shoved the headphones into his duffel with the other things he was taking with him, grabbed the case containing his personal computer and headed for the door. Triggering the release he stepped out into the hallway where Trowa, Quatre, and Wufei were waiting.
 
“We're leaving now?” Heero tried to keep the excitement out of his voice, “How are we getting there?”
 
“Didn't we tell you?” Quatre smiled, grabbing Heero with one hand and Trowa with the other, “I've hired a shuttle and pilot from the L2 transport division. They're waiting for us over at launch bay three.”
 
Quatre started down the hall, dragging both of them behind him. Wufei groaned, and bent to pick up the bags left lying in the hallway.
 
Heero frowned, “A pilot? Is that really necessary?” he asked, as he frantically attempted to keep up with Quatre's quick pace.
 
“In this case I think it is. None of us is really in any shape to fly and it would have taken much longer to get a shuttle rental than it did to hire a pilot with his own shuttle.” Quatre released Heero's hand and signaled the guard to open the ships doors, “Close them behind us, please.” He walked out the doors, into the docking bay.
 
Heero and Wufei followed Quatre and Trowa out of the ship, bags in their hands. A quick walk across the bay to the catwalks, then down two levels and across one to launch bay three and they were at the L2 transport desk.
 
Quatre released Trowa at last and walked up to the desk, “Winner, I hired a shuttle for a hop to L2 RC54VH9?”
 
The receptionist looked at her screen for a moment, entered some data and nodded, “Black ship over to the right, slot A-27.”
 
Quatre blinked, “That's not an inter-colony hopper, that's a full space lane qualified shuttle.”
 
The receptionist smiled, “Yeah, he normally doesn't do inter-colony stuff but he was the only one available on such short notice. Don't worry about it, the pilot's a great guy, he doesn't really mind.”
 
Quatre nodded, “Okay, if you're sure. Thanks.” Turning to the others he smiled, “Well then, come on!”
 
Quatre set out across the bay to the indicated slot, with its jet black occupant in his sights. Trowa stopped for a minute to grab his bags from Wufei and then followed closely behind. Wufei followed behind Heero, who was lagging slightly, his head spinning. Upon reaching the ship, Quatre walked up to the hatch and pushed the entry request button.
 
“Yes?” The pilot walked out: a slender, male figure clad in a black jumpsuit, “How may I help you?”
 
Quatre smiled, “Winner Party? The receptionist indicated that you were the one who would take us?”
 
“Yes, I am. Come onboard.” He gestured to the open hatch.
 
Wufei and Heero arrived at the ship just then and turned to follow Quatre up the ramp. As they passed the pilot, Heero suddenly stopped.
 
“Guide.”
 
The other three immediately turned to face him.
 
“Heero?” Quatre asked.
 
Heero walked up to the pilot and sniffed at his neck, then raised his face to stare the pilot in the eyes. “My Guide.”
 
Wufei frowned, and turned to the pilot. “Stay still for a moment.”
 
“Planning on it.”
 
Wufei turned to Heero, “Heero, none of us will take him away from you, but we need to go onboard the ship now. To do that you will have to step away from him for a moment or two. I promise he will not run away.”
 
Heero snarled softly, then stopped for a second and closed his eyes, “Acceptable.” He turned and followed Trowa the rest of the way onto the ship.
 
Wufei returned his gaze to the pilot, “I understand if you are upset, but this must be figured out now. Will you join us?”
 
The pilot nodded, “He's a Sentinel?”
 
“Yes. Come, we will sort this all out.”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------
 
The five young men gathered in the passenger area of the ship, sitting around the table in the lounge/eating area. A minute passed, and then Quatre began the conversation.
 
“Well, as you might have guessed, Heero here is a Sentinel.” He paused for a moment, and frowned slightly, “And you are apparently a Guide potential. His Guide . . . um, what is your name?”
 
“Duo, my name is Duo. Are you sure about this? Aren't guides supposed to be telepaths, or empaths? Because I've never noticed anything like that and I really think I would have. So isn't it possible he just . . . made a mistake?” the pilot, now identified as Duo chattered nervously.
 
Quatre smiled at him, and shook his head, “Doubtful, and definitely not after he made eye contact. Those telepaths and empaths with Guide potential emit certain pheromones that are very distinctive. And if you weren't his Guide, he would have known as soon as he made eye contact. You are a Guide potential, and more specifically you are Heero's Guide. There are no ifs about it.”
 
“No!” Duo exploded, “No, I can't be a Guide, I just . . . can't.” He stood up and started for the door, “I'll get you to your destination, and then you'll leave me alone, okay?”
 
“Stop!” Heero's voice cut across the room as he sprung from his seat and dashed across the room to grab Duo around the waist, “Don't leave.” His voice softened and he sat down on the floor, pulling Duo to sit on his lap.
 
“How do you know you're not a Guide?” Trowa asked, “Have you ever been tested?”
 
“I,” Duo struggled for a moment against Heero's grasp, then settled down, glaring fiercely, “No I've never been tested, there was never the opportunity when I was young enough.”
 
“So, how do you know you're not a telepath or an empath, a Guide? You have a Newtype body structure, it's perfectly reasonable that you have the gifts as well.” Trowa's voice was calm and soft.
 
“But . . .” Duo stammered, then sighed and slumped back. Heero drew him further onto his lap and rested his head on his shoulder, concentrating on sending calming feelings through the nascent bond.
 
“It's really not that bad Duo,” Heero insisted. “You may be a little older than usual, but it's not unheard of and you'll get the best training possible. I won't let them hurt you; you have nothing to be afraid of . . .”
 
“And what about my life, my ship, those sorts of things? I can't just pick up my life and leave!” Duo batted away Heero's hand as it began to stroke his arm softly, then slid out of his grip to sit on the floor in front of him. “I can't, really.”
 
“I'm sorry Duo,” Trowa knelt facing him, “But there really isn't any other way. We'll let you have some time to think, but you know what you need to do.” He stood, “We need to get underway. Duo, it's your ship. Heero, you're staying in the back. Give him some space.”
 
Heero nodded and stood, walking back to his chair and strapping in for launch. Duo also stood and walked out the forward door into the cockpit. Moments later, his voice came over the intercom.
 
“Ship will be launching in five minutes. All passengers must be in their seats with the belts fastened. Ship will be launching in five minutes.”