Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Eagle In Flight ❯ Chapter 8 ( Chapter 8 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

This is a disclaimer. Please note the dis before claimer. As in, I make no claim. In other words, the characters in this work are not my own. I'd like to think the storyline at least somewhat original, any similarity to other works, fiction or non-fiction is entirely unintentional.
 
Eagle in Flight
 
Chapter 8
 
Duo frowned and tried once more to shove his last text into the bag. It was already over full, containing all his clothes and toiletries as well as the stack of books he had been given for his classes; or, well, most of the stack of books. As it stood now he was pretty sure the zipper wouldn't close, and the last book just would not fit in the corner over here. It was just . . .
 
A knock sounded at the door. Salvation, maybe?
 
“Come in!” Duo called out, welcoming the interruption.
 
Heero walked into the room carrying a book bag, “Hey, maybe this will help.” The bag was extended in front of Duo's face.
 
Duo looked up. “Hey, another bag. Great! How did you know I would need that?”
 
Heero smiled. “I went to boarding school. My first trip home I tried to fit all my homework in the bag I had used to travel there. It just doesn't happen.”
 
Duo reached up and grabbed the bag, then started shoving all his texts into it. “You're telling me. Thanks.”
 
Heero stood there a moment more, then: “Are you nervous?”
 
Duo closed the zipper on his new book bag, then reached over and began zipping up the bag his clothes were in. “Am I nervous about what?”
 
“We're heading to Ganymede now. You've never been there, and the bonding is scheduled to take place shortly after we arrive. Are you nervous?”
 
Duo frowned, standing up and wiping his hands off on his shirt. “A little I guess. At least we are taking my ship, so I will have something familiar, and I know you pretty well by now. I understand the bonding much better than I did, so I am not really afraid of that; but the idea that once it happens I will be fully online and irrevocably tied to you is a little daunting.”
 
Heero rested a hand on Duo's shoulder. “I swear that I will protect you, no matter what happens. I can't make everything perfect, but I will protect you.”
 
Duo reached up and placed a hand over Heero's. “Thank you.”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------
 
In the hallway, Heero and Duo met up with Trowa, Wufei and Quatre.
 
Heero nodded at them. “Ready to go?”
 
The others nodded yes in reply, Quatre's voice piping in, “All ready, so let's be on our way, shall we?”
 
Heero reached over and grabbed one of the three bags lying at Wufei's feet. “J and G will be joining us for the ride over, we are to meet them in the front lobby and continue to the space port from there.”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------
 
In the lobby they met up with J and G and from there the seven of them continued out to the limo, waiting just outside. Trowa and Quatre got in first, Trowa sitting facing the others, and Quatre scooting along the seat to sit away from the door. Wufei joined the driver in his role as bodyguard, while Heero and Duo took the seats next to Trowa. J and G sat facing them, next to Quatre.
 
The trip to the space port was mostly spent in silence. Heero and Duo rested side by side, with Duo laying his head on Heero's shoulder. J and G talked quietly, while Trowa played a game on his phone and Quatre stared out the window. Upon arriving they all filed out of the limo and walked, or hobbled in Quatre's case, into the space port.
 
Duo smiled at everyone. “I filed for take off today last night, so all we have to do is report in to the front desk and then we can head for the ship.” He picked up his bags and began walking towards the front desk.
 
Heero smiled and shook his head before turning to the others. “The rest of us don't actually have to go with him. Duo just needs to confirm his flight plan and get the com frequency. Here, the ship is this way.”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------
 
When Duo walked up to the front desk by himself he was amazed. He hadn't thought that Heero would let him go by himself, so he hadn't suggested it. Of course, Heero knew that his presence wasn't really required and that Quatre was uncomfortable standing for long periods, so he had probably taken them over by the ship. Finally getting to the front of the line he smiled at the desk attendant. “Duo Maxwell, I filed a flight plan for today?”
 
She began scrolling through the day's files. “Ah yes, Maxwell, private shuttle, here to L1 XCC0412.” She checked the file that he had come in. “Today's frequency is 1624, your take off slot is anytime in the next hour. Have a good day.”
 
Duo bobbed his head at her and accepted his receipt. Turning, he walked over to his shuttle. As he expected, the other six were waiting in front of the hatch.
 
“Alright everybody, here I am. Take off slot is for the next hour, so let's get in and get ready to go.” He walked up to the hatch, placed the key in the slot and keyed in the code.
 
The seven of them walked onto the ship. Duo smiled once everyone was in the main cabin. “Alright everyone, welcome aboard the Deathscythe. Heero, you're in the cockpit with me. The trip will take approximately three days to make, so please, no killing each other. Quatre, would you be more comfortable lying down?”
 
Quatre frowned gently. “Perhaps.”
 
Duo nodded, “There are cabins in the back. I have three cabins besides my own, bunks in one of them, a single bed in another, and a double in the third.”
 
G spoke up, “J and I will take the double.”
 
Quatre smiled, “Then Trowa and I will take the bunks.”
 
Wufei frowned, “Is the single near the bunks?”
 
Duo nodded affirmatively, “Right next door.”
 
“Then I will take the single.”
 
G looked up and frowned. “Duo, will you be okay sleeping with Heero? I know that is the usual protocol, but you are not used to it. It hardly seems fair to just drop it on you like this.”
 
Duo smiled. “I'll be okay G. Worst comes to worst Heero and I can sleep in shifts, but we'll try to work it out normally first. Now then, I'll show Quatre to his cabin and help him get strapped in, while the rest of you take your seats and prepare for take off.”
 
Everyone headed towards their seats. Heero headed into the cockpit and looked over the control panel. `Class C type 5 set up. Very efficient.' He thought.
 
Within ten minutes everyone was strapped in and Duo was in the cockpit. Tuning the com to the appropriate channel, he announced his readiness for take off.
 
“This is C class shuttled D5TH, requesting clearance for take off.”
 
“D5TH, you are cleared for take off in the next queue. Please start your engines and advance to the lift off site.”
 
“Thank you control, this is D5TH I am in position for take off.”
 
“D5TH, you are clear for take off.”
 
Once they were underway Duo programmed the autopilot and leaned back in his seat. “So Heero, we are headed back to your home. How you doing, buddy?”
 
Heero turned to face Duo and smiled. “I am doing well. I am glad to have you with me.”
 
Duo smirked, “Thank you very much.” He unbuckled from his seat and turned towards the hatch. “Want to go into the back?”
 
Heero unfastened his own buckle. “Lead the way.”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------
 
The first day passed quickly, especially once Quatre came out and they discovered Duo's stash of video games. That evening, Duo showed everyone to their quarters, and then grabbed Heero by the hand and led the way to his own room. He opened the door and they stepped inside.
 
Heero looked around. The room was neat and clean, a thing he had not expected of Duo's boisterous personality. Personal effects were fastened neatly to surfaces, and the bed made with covers tucked in. Looking at it for a moment, he shook his head.
 
“So, what are the sleeping arrangements?” Heero was compelled to ask. “I see there is only one bed, but if you have a sleeping bag or something . . .”
 
Duo looked around for a moment, before stammering out . . . “I um, hadn't actually thought that far, just figured that uh . . . it would be okay if we shared quarters, and that I, I would rather share with you than anyone else.”
 
Heero smiled. “Acceptable, but it needs to be thought about now. The choice it up to you. I will abide by your decision.”
 
Duo looked around nervously, before walking over and sitting on the bed. “Well, I don't exactly have a sleeping bag, or a cot of any sort, so I guess we are sharing the bed . . . maybe, um at least, if that is okay with you.”
 
Heero walked over to him and placed a hand under Duo's chin, bringing Duo's eyes up to meet his. “It would be fine with me, but you seem uncomfortable, so we don't have to. We can sleep in shifts, or I can sleep out on one of the benches. You come first.”
 
Duo smiled wanly. “I'll be fine, probably. If I really can't take it we'll use one of your ideas, but I don't really want to turn you out, or mess up anyone's sleep schedule.”
 
Heero walked over and grabbed the bag he had carried in, and headed towards the door. “Then I'll go get changed in the head, and meet you back here.”
 
Duo stared at the door for a moment after Heero left. Then, he walked over to the dresser and pulled out a fresh pair of lounge pants and a tank top. Changing quickly, he was ready and sitting on the bed by the time Heero knocked at the door. “Come in.”
 
Heero walked in wearing a pair of sweat pants and t-shirt. Walking over to the bed he held a hand out to Duo and helped him to his feet. “Time for bed.”
 
Duo nodded. “Yeah.”
 
Heero looked at the bed. It was a double, but situated so that three sides were against walls. He pulled the covers out and gestured with his hand. “Go on, get in. I promise I won't bite.”
 
Duo's lips quirked slightly, and he crawled into the bed, scooting so he was all the way against the wall. Heero crawled in after him, purposefully laying on his back towards the edge o the bed. Duo looked at him for a moment before turning onto his stomach and falling asleep.
 
Once he was sure Duo was asleep, Heero turned onto his side and placed one hand in the small of Duo's back. “Sleep well,” he murmured before allowing himself to join Duo in sleep.