Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Eagle In Flight ❯ Chapter 9 ( Chapter 9 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

This is a disclaimer. Please note the dis before claimer. As in, I make no claim. In other words, the characters in this work are not my own. I'd like to think the storyline at least somewhat original, any similarity to other works, fiction or non-fiction is entirely unintentional.
 
Eagle in Flight
 
Chapter 9
 
The Deathscythe and her passengers had been underway for two days when Duo was awakened from sleep by the proximity alarm. Not even thinking he scrambled out of bed, knocking Heero to the floor and rushed to the cockpit. Looking at the sensors he noted there was another ship coming in fast on the right. Slapping a hand on the control panel he disengaged the auto pilot and pulled the ship to a hard stop, narrowly avoiding ramming the oncoming vessel. Growling, he broadcast on a tight frequency to the other ship, “What the hell do you think you are doing? Flying like that will get someone killed.”
 
The other ship responded, “Deathscythe, open your hatches and prepare to be boarded.”
 
Duo frowned, what were these people, “Under whose authority?”
 
“Under the authority of the High Commander Dermail, and that of the guns on our ship. You will not escape us.”
 
Duo grimaced and reengaged the engine. High Commander Dermail was well known for his stance on Newtype rights, namely he believed they had none. And if they knew he had Quatre Winner on board, they were in trouble.
 
Duo had just gotten the engines engaged when he felt the telltale resistance of a magnetic coupler against his hull. If he moved now he would loose part of the ship, possibly opening her to vacuum. He stopped the engines again, just as Heero came barreling into the cockpit.
 
“Duo?” Heero asked, “What was the alarm?”
 
“Proximity sensor. There is a League ship outside, with a magnetic coupler on us.”
 
“Shit. Do they know Quatre's onboard?”
 
“Only reason I can think of for them to stop us. I am going to try to get away, you send everyone back to their cabins and make sure they seal the doors.” Duo grimaced, “If this doesn't work we could loose hull integrity, there are suits in the rooms as per colonial law. They are in the lockers under the beds. Get everyone suited up and the doors sealed, tap twice on the suit mike once everybody is ready. Got it?”
 
“Understood,” Heero nodded confidently. “Are you going to try to reverse hull polarity?”
 
“Yes. Oldest trick in the book, and if they have a tractor beam as well we are SOL, but it's worth a try.” Duo waved a hand at Heero, “Go, get everyone taken care of.”
 
Heero hurried into the main cabin where everyone was gathered. Relaying Duo's message and his plans, he and Wufei went to help Quatre and Trowa into their suits. Fortunately they were the old one size fits most style, and had plenty of extra room for Quatre's brace and Trowa's cast. Once they were done there Wufei headed to his room to get ready, while Heero checked to make sure the door had sealed behind him and went to check on G and J. After verifying that they were indeed in their suits and the door was sealed he checked on Wufei, who by then was also ready. He then proceeded to Duo's cabin and pulled open the locker under the bed. In it he found only one space suit, obviously custom made for Duo. He was sure it would also fit him, but if Duo's space suit was here did that mean Duo was going to be without a suit? Grabbing the suit he walked up to the front and opened the cockpit door.
 
“Duo?” He asked, finding the braided pilot sitting in there carefully preparing to reverse the hull polarity. “Were you planning to not wear a space suit?”
 
Duo looked up frowning softly, “I only have the six. What, won't mine fit you?”
 
“Duo, I'm sure it would fit, but I refuse to let you take risks like that with your life. The others are all ready, I'll go back and seal myself in your room, it's on the interior so it is very unlikely that it will be breached, but you are in the cockpit, you need a suit. There is a 75 % chance the breach will occur here, if you aren't in a suit you'll be dead. Please Duo.”
 
Duo nodded reluctantly, “Fine. You can watch me put it on even. Then go back, seal yourself in my room and tap twice on the intercom. Okay?”
 
Heero smiled, “Very okay. Thank you for listening, mine.”
 
Duo stood, reached for the suit and began to put it on. He had to first strip nearly naked in order to do so, and the connections needed to be fastened as he pulled it on, but it was done efficiently and with a proficiency that spoke of practice. Finally he fastened the helmet clamps and sat back down. “Okay, go back to my room now Heero.”
 
Heero nodded harshly, “Very well then. I will see you.”
 
Minutes latter over the intercom of the ship came two, short harsh thunks. Duo smiled and reached over to hit the button and run the program he had just created. With a sharp squeal, the hull reversed polarity, propelling them away from the other ship instead of toward. Then the shields slammed down to protect against tractor beams, and the engines engaged. Pushing the engines to their max, Duo maneuvered the ship at full speed over the top of the League vessel and straight towards L1 XCC0412. With her engines at full power, very few ships could keep up with the Deathscythe. And once they were out of visual range, he hit the key pattern to engage the sweeper patented cloaking shields that would make them all but invisible to other ships. Sighing in relief, he broadcast over the intercom, “Well gentlemen, we have made it away. Please stay in quarters for a few minutes longer until I can ascertain the hull integrity of the entire ship.
I will get back to your shortly.”
 
Duo then began a full ship scan for leaks, strains and blowouts of the hull. He found one slight leak in hold one, and sealed the area off. That was likely where the beam had been attached. Finding no others, he agreed to let the others out of the rooms. Quatre and Trowa had to wait until Heero and Wufei could come and let them out of their suits, but other than some minor grumbling everyone was fine.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------
 
Forty-eight hours later, the Deathscythe pulled into orbit at L1 XCC0412. A strengthening of the structural integrity fields, combined with decreased speed had made sure the hull still mostly intact, but the sooner Duo could have her docked and put in for repairs the happier he would be. Shaking his head once, he radioed the colony.
 
“L1 XCC0412, this is civilian shuttle D5TH requesting landing clearance.”
 
“D5TH, you were expected yesterday. Is everything well?”
 
“We had a run in with High Commander Dermail two days ago. Everyone is okay, but the hull suffered a slight breach, necessitating decreased speed for the rest of our journey.”
 
“Very well, you are cleared for landing in bay 5. Someone will meet you there to take you to speak with the Center Head.”
 
“L1 XCC0412, two of my passengers had sustained injuries prior to boarding the ship. Is it possible that transportation could be arranged for them?”
 
“Quatre Winner and Trowa Barton, correct? Transportation has been arranged.”
 
“Thank You. Now pulling out of orbit for docking in bay 5.”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------
 
Once the Deathscythe was properly situated, Duo met the others in the main cabin. Opening the door to reveal a young man with a two wheelchairs, he gestured towards the ramp. “Okay, everyone off.” Hanging towards the back of the crowd he was suprised to see Heero staying back with him.
 
“Heero? It's your home isn't it? Don't you want to get off?”
 
Heero smiled, “Of course I do, but not alone. My home is also yours, Mine.”
 
Duo looked nervous, “I . . . don't know Heero. I mean, geez I have to talk to the Head about our unfortunate run in with Dermail, and then even before that I am returning with two of your people injured . . .”
 
“It is fine. No one blames you.” Heero turned to face him and placed a hand on his cheek. “Besides, it is not as if you are here with no rank of your own. No, you are here as a Guide, my Guide, and on Ganymede that alone gives you a rank equal to Quatre's.”
 
Duo looked at him oddly. “But Heero, Quatre's rich.”
 
“On Ganymede, that does not matter. Here he is an empath and a citizen. The titles belong to his father, not him, despite his fame.”
 
“Okay, I understand.”
 
Quatre called from his wheelchair at the foot of the ramp, “Hey, you two coming or not? We're supposed to be going to meet with the Head, remember?”
 
Heero sighed, “Yes Quatre, we're coming. Just wait a second.”
 
Duo and Heero walked down the ramp to meet the others. Once they were there the young man smiled.
 
“Hey, I've already introduced myself, but since you weren't here, my name's Ryo, and I'm supposed to bring the seven of you to meet the Head, if that's okay?”
 
Duo nodded and Heero spoke, “That's fine”
 
“Okay then, follow me.”
 
Wufei grabbed Trowa's wheelchair while the other five followed along behind. Exiting the bay, they turned left into the corridor and then took a lift to the top of the colony. The lift opened to reveal an ornate metal door. Ryo stepped forward and pressed the intercom to the left of the door.
 
“Ryo, escorting Doctor J, Professor G and party.”
 
“Come in.”
 
The door opened to reveal an older woman dressed in a Chinese styled robe, with her white hair piled imperiously on her head.
 
Professor G stepped forward, “Lady Long, we were told to report to you. Our ship was attacked enroute, we believe they were aiming for Quatre.”

She nodded, “Yes, the docking terminal alerted me. They said it was High Commander Dermail?”
 
Duo stepped forward, “That was how he identified himself, Lady. He did not seem the type to disguise himself.”
 
“No, that man would not, and few would be fool enough to take his name. It was most likely he.” She smiled slightly, “You were fortunate to get away.”
 
Duo nodded, “Most fortunate. I can provide you with the transcriptions of the event if you wish.”
 
“Indeed. But I must ask, I do not believe I have seen you before, and I am acquainted with most of the permanent residents.”
 
Heero spoke up “He is my Guide.”
 
“Is that so? I congratulate you. May your life together be long and happy.”
 
“Thank You.”