Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Equinity ❯ Chapter 5 ( Chapter 5 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter 5

Duo followed Heero to the house, not quite sure what to make of the gentle touch. His cheek still burned from the brush of those fingers and his mind returned to the words he'd heard Heero softly say earlier. He thought about them for a moment longer, unsure of what to do. Yes, he liked the other man, of that he was certain. But, he'd only just met him and Heero was in pain from his injury, not to mention the concussion and the drugs that the doctor had administered at the hospital. Duo decided that the best thing to do was wait and see what happened. By tomorrow Heero shouldn't be in quite so much pain, any lingering effects of the concussion would have faded and the drug that was responsible for Heero's current 'happy' state should be well and truly out of his system. Yes, it would be better to wait until Heero was back to his normal self, whatever that might be, before making any attempt to get to know the guy better and see if there might be a chance for him. So locked in his thoughts, Duo didn't realize that he had stopped walking and Heero was standing by the door to the house, an amused expression on his face as he looked at Duo.

"You didn't hear a word I just said, did you?"

"Huh? Sorry, Heero. I was... ummm... thinking."

Heero gave a soft chuckle. "All I said was, do you have the key?"

"Oh, yeah," Duo replied sheepishly and fished it out of his pocket to unlock the door. "You hungry?"

"A little."

"I'll make you something light to eat."

"Arigato." Heero settled himself down in the chair by the table that he'd sat in earlier.

Duo opened the 'fridge and scanned the contents. "Poached eggs on toast okay?" He really needed to do some shopping, the 'fridge was beginning to look a little bare.

"Hai, that will be fine," Heero replied.

Duo fetched the eggs from the 'fridge and retrieved the bread from the bread bin. He began to hum to himself as he set about making their dinner. "If you want something to drink there's orange juice in the 'fridge or tea and coffee in the canisters marked tea and coffee in the pantry, just help yourself."

Heero thought he'd had enough tea for a while. "Orange juice would be nice, thank you."

"Glasses are just in there." Duo nodded towards the overhead cupboard. "Would you mind pouring me one too, please?"

Heero stood up and walked over to the cupboard and removed two glasses. He found the carton of orange juice in the 'fridge and set it on the bench top so as he could open the little spout. Working with only one hand, and his left at that, wasn't easy and it took Heero a few moments to get the spout to open. Slowly pouring the juice he wondered how he would cope once he went back home to his own place. He'd manage somehow, he'd have too; he couldn't sponge off Duo for much longer, the vet had already gone above and beyond the call of duty in Heero's opinion. He managed to finish pouring the juice with only a small amount of spillage and returned the carton to the 'fridge. Wiping up the mess he placed Duo's glass where he could reach it and put his own on the table. "Can I get the cutlery and stuff out?"

"Umm, sure. Cutlery is in there..." Duo nodded to the top drawer, "...and the salt and pepper is in the pantry. You should find place mats and paper napkins in the third drawer."

Heero fetched the items and set the table, moving slowly as he could only use the one arm. He'd just finished when Duo set the plates down in front of them both and took a seat.

"There you go, Heero, wrap your laughing gear around that," he chuckled.

"Laughing gear?"

"Your mouth."

"Aa."

Duo picked up his knife and fork and began to dig in, adding a little salt to the eggs as he pierced their yolks.

Heero shook a light dusting of salt and pepper over his own food and then paused. He looked at the perfectly poached eggs, then to the knife and fork and back to the eggs. Now he was faced with another problem. How to eat? He picked up the knife and went to cut the egg and toast.

The food slid playfully on his plate in time with the knife. Damn. He tried again, pushing a little harder on the knife and aiming his 'cuts' against the second piece of toast, hoping to use it as a block for the piece he was trying to cut. As he pushed, so the second piece of toast, complete with egg shot of the edge of the plate, skidded across the table and stopped when it ran into Duo's plate. "Shit!"

Duo, who had been watching the attempts from the corner of his eye, raised an eyebrow and looked at the 'escapee'. "Lose something, Heero?" he asked as he raised his amused violet eyes to meet with frustrated blue.

"You could say that," replied Heero. "Damn thing won't cooperate," he growled.

Duo snickered and picked up the toast with its egg and placed it back on Heero's plate. "Would you like some help?"

Sighing loudly and knowing he had no other choice but to accept Duo's offer, Heero nodded. "If you don't mind, that would be good."

"Well, I can't have you starving whilst you're here, now can I?" Duo reached across and pulled Heero's plate towards himself then held out his hand for Heero's cutlery. With utensils armed and ready he paused before cutting. "Any particular way you want it cutting?"

"Pardon?"

"Do you want it cut into squares or would you like 'soldiers'?" Duo couldn't help himself, he'd always had a good sense of humor and now was no exception.

Heero gave him a withering look. "Bite size squares will be fine... thank you."

Duo sniggered and began to cut. Soon the two eggs and slices of toast were cut neatly and the plate handed back. Heero began to eat, stabbing each piece with a little more force than was necessary at first.

They ate in silence, Duo mentally recalling the brush of Heero's fingers against his cheek and how nice it had felt while Heero was trying to figure out how he was going to cope over the next few weeks with only the use of one arm. Dinner was finally finished and Duo collected the dirty plates, washed and dried them all then put the kettle on while Heero watched, frustrated at his own uselessness.

"Would you like a shower, Heero?"

Looking up at the question, Heero frowned for a moment and then replied. "I'd love one but I don't have a change of clothes. I've only got what I'm wearing and my coveralls in the car."

"That's okay," replied Duo as he gazed up and down Heero's body causing the other man to flush slightly. "You look roughly the same size as me, you can borrow some pajamas for tonight, sweats and a T-shirt for tomorrow if you wish."

"Arigato. I appreciate it."

"No problem. I'll go get them now." Duo left the kitchen, Heero watching him disappear and once more thinking how kind the vet was.

Duo rummaged around in his closet and found a pair of pajamas he'd not worn yet; tossing them to the bed he continued his search of his clothing, finding a pair of blue sweat pants and black T-shirt. The sweats would be easier for Heero to handle he figured, seeing as how he only had the use of one arm. He wasn't sure if Heero wanted to borrow some boxers or not, he did have a couple of new pairs and Heero could have those if he wanted them. Duo thought it would be best to ask. He went into the spare bed room and turned down the bed. He kept it made up as he never knew when he would have company, not that company turned up very often. So far he'd only had his mother stay once and a friend from college. He dropped the sweats and T-shirt to the small chair and put the pajamas on the bed before returning to the kitchen and his guest.

"I've put the stuff in the spare bed room for you, Heero. Umm... Did you want any boxers at all? I have a couple of new pairs you can have if you want, they're still in the packet, never been worn so you don't have to worry or anything." Duo could feel his own face turning red as he spoke.

"Iie, thank you. I'll be fine, Duo. You have already done more than enough for me," Heero replied, a little uncomfortable at Duo's kindness.

"No problem. Look, follow me and I'll show you the spare room and then you can take your shower." Duo turned and waited for Heero to get up and follow.

Walking behind Duo, Heero was once more mesmerized by the swing of that braid of hair; he wondered what it would feel like and itched to touch it.

"Here you are, Heero. 'Jamas are on the bed and I put the sweats and shirt on the chair. Your towel is still in the bathroom so take your shower whenever you're ready."

"Arigato. I think I'll shower now and then go to bed, it's been a busy day."

"Yeah, it sure has," chuckled Duo. "You go ahead, I'm going to make some cocoa; want a cup?"

"Yes, please."

"Okay. I'll take my shower once you're done. If you need anything just yell." Duo turned and went to leave but Heero's voice stopped him.

"Would you..." Heero cleared his throat and tried again. "Would you mind helping me out of this shirt and my boots before you go, please? I should be able to manage the jodhpurs by myself."

"No worries, Heero." Duo returned to Heero's side and began to unbutton the shirt. He had to take a deep breath and hope to hell that Heero couldn't see the slight tremor of his hands as the shirt opened up to reveal Heero's muscular chest, partially hidden beneath the strapping for his shoulder. The scent of Heero wafted to Duo's nostrils and he greedily drank it in, savoring the aroma as if it were a dish of the finest cuisine. It was with supreme effort that he managed to control his lower body.

"Okay, that's the shirt, now for the boots. I think you had better sit down for them," Duo said as he placed the shirt into the laundry hamper that sat in the corner of the room.

Heero sat and braced himself on the bed, offering his left foot to Duo. Duo took a firm grip on the heel and toe of the boot and began to pull. The trick to removing the long boots was in the pull and twist. Boots like these were designed to fit snug and offer not only protection to the rider but a certain amount of 'feel' for their horse as well. Needless to say they were not the easiest of things to remove. It took a lot of effort combined with some groaning from Heero and a lot of grunting from Duo before the boots began to slide off. Finally they gave up their hold on Heero's calves and Duo set them by the door, noting Heero wriggling his toes in appreciation of the freedom.

"Stubborn little shits, ain't they?" said Duo with a smile.

"Yeah, I usually use a boot jack [1] at home but even then they can be very resistant. I've broken a couple in my time, boot jacks that is; although I have slipped and kicked myself in the shins as well."

"I can imagine," chuckled Duo. "You alright to take off your socks or would you like me to help?"

"I'll do them, thanks. I'm afraid if you get too close to my feet you may pass out." Heero offered him a grin.

"In that case then, you're on your own," sniggered Duo and pinched his nose.

"Hey, they're not that bad!"

"I don't know, Heero. I think I'd better check that the milk hasn't gone sour," Duo teased.

Heero just laughed.

"Take your shower, cocoa will be waiting when you're done." Duo left and went back to the kitchen. Heero picked up the pajamas from the bed and padded through to the bathroom, the smile still on his face.

Once Duo could hear the water running indicating that Heero was in the shower, he slipped back outside to check on Zero and lock up before retiring for the night. The horse gave a soft whinny as he approached and hung over the stable door. Duo made a detour into the feed shed and picked up a couple of carrots. Offering one to the animal, he smiled and rubbed Zero's gray ears as the horse crunched away. "You're one fine horse, Zero," Duo said softly. "Intelligent, nice natured and obviously well looked after. Heero really cares a lot about you."

Zero wuffled in reply and searched for more carrots. He wasn't disappointed.

"He's one special guy too, but I guess I don't have to tell you that, hey boy?" Duo continued to pet the horse.

Zero nudged his arm.

"What? You want more carrots?" Duo teased. "Sheesh, I'm beginning to get the impression you only like me for the carrots, not because I helped you out with your leg or anything. Is that all I am to you? Nothing but a food source?"

A pair of liquid brown eyes gazed at him. Zero had a couple of wrinkle folds of skin above his eyes which gave him a soulful expression and Duo's heart melted.

"I'd love an animal like you, Zero, not to mention your master. Heero's a really lucky guy. Tell me, Zero; what is it that you have that I don't?"

The horse just ignored him, opting to search Duo's hands and pockets for more food.

Duo chuckled. "Maybe I should grow a tail," he said and fished the last carrot from his pocket, offering it to the delighted animal. Duo stood, stroking the muscled neck for a few more minutes and then thought he'd better get back to the house in case Heero needed him. "Night, Zero," he said and reluctantly left the horse after checking the water bucket. He turned out the lights and pulled the barn door closed, setting the alarm system before walking back to the house, Heero and the cocoa.

***

Heero took the pajamas and stepped into the bathroom, shutting the door behind him. He managed to unzip and get the button of the jodhpurs undone with minimal fuss and then pushed and pulled the tight fabric over his buttocks and to his thighs. Sitting down on the toilet, he began to tug at the leg of the pants, working one foot, calf and knee free. Standing up, he placed one hand on the wall to balance with and then stood on the end of the jodhpurs while pulling his leg free. The performance was repeated with the other leg and Heero felt quite pleased with himself that he'd managed to accomplish that simple task unaided. The boxers followed, their removal being much easier, the socks have been disposed of back in the bedroom. Heero turned the shower on and waited for the water to warm up. The doctor had said it was okay for him to get the strapping wet as it was coated in a special substance so that the water would run off and not be absorbed, but he would need to have the strapping replaced every week.

He put a hand under the spray and adjusted the temperature before stepping in and letting the water course over his body, washing away the grime, stress and weariness from his skin and muscles. He hadn't realized just how tired he was. Picking up the soap he began to wash himself, dropping the slippery bar more times than he cared to count. His hair could do with a shampoo but with only one hand and his weary state, Heero decided it could wait. Thinking about his hair brought his mind back to Duo's hair and his body began to respond. He could only imagine what it would be like to run his fingers through those tresses, have them wild and loose around naked bodies as they writhed together. Damn! Thinking about Duo like that caused him to get fully hard. Even though his left hand was not his dominant one, it had no trouble at all in grasping his erection and pumping it. He hoped that Duo had a good supply of hot water!

His mind continued to supply him with visions of Duo as his hand stroked his length. Biting his lip to keep his noise level to a minimum, he brought himself off quickly, hot seed splashing against the tiles to be washed down the drain. Sated for the moment, he guiltily turned the water off and stepped out. The fluffy towel quickly absorbed the water from his body and Heero reached for the pajamas. He pulled the pants up, thankful that they had an elasticized waist, but the top defeated him. He would need to either ask Duo to help him put it on or simply go bare chested. He decided on the latter option. Making sure that he left the bathroom neat and tidy, Heero stepped out, dropped the pajama top back on the bed in his room and headed out to the kitchen to find Duo and the cocoa.

***

Duo was relieved to find that although the water had stopped running, Heero was still in the bathroom. He quickly made the cocoa and was setting the mugs down on the table when Heero stepped into the kitchen. Duo's breath caught and a warmth spread through to his groin as the still slightly damp and very bare chested Heero walked into the kitchen and up to him. Mutely he picked up one of the mugs and handed it to the other man.

"Arigato." Heero took the mug and blew gently on the contents before taking a sip.

"You managed okay?"

"Hai. I couldn't wash my hair though and the pajama top is a little out of my league at the moment, other than that I managed all right."

"I can wash your hair for you if you want," stated Duo and blushed. "I mean, you don't have..."

"Arigato." Heero smiled at the vet. "I'd like that if you don't mind but not now. Maybe tomorrow if that's all right. It's rather dirty from the sweat and all from the helmet."

"I'd be happy to, Heero." Duo gave a warm smile in return. "I'll pick my car up first thing and once we've had breakfast I can wash it then before morning surgery starts."

"Sounds good." Heero took another sip of the hot cocoa before his curiosity got the better of him. "What time does your surgery start?"

"Morning consultations go from nine thirty until twelve. I usually do any operations in the afternoon as well as house calls, then evening consultations are from five until seven. Unless I get a call out I'm usually done by seven fifteen."

"Aa. You get much in the way of business?" Heero realized he was probably prying and that Duo wouldn't appreciate it. "Gomen, I don't mean to pry, Duo. You don't have to answer that."

"It's okay, Heero. We vets are not under the same oath as the doctors, although we don't normally discuss cases with anyone other than the animal's owner or another vet if the need should arise. General practice I can talk to you about and some of the cases, although I won't mention any names."

Feeling a little relieved Heero took another sip of the hot drink. "I'm just curious to know what it's like for you, you know, being a vet and all."

"It has its highs and lows the same as any job I guess, although with veterinary medicine quite often the highs are something special, and the lows can be heart breaking."

"I think I understand."

Duo sighed and ran a hand through his bangs. "It's sad when you have to put an animal to sleep. Not so bad if the animal is old or is in pain and suffering with no hope of a recovery; at least in those cases you know you are giving the animal a release, it's often the kindest thing to do. When you are requested to put an animal to sleep though that's in its prime or young, simply because the owner doesn't want it anymore, they're moving and can't take it with them or it's been abandoned, then that makes me angry. Same as occasionally I'm asked to treat an animal that's a case of neglect for the animal shelter, those creatures can break your heart. You wouldn't believe what some people will do to an animal, sometimes it's out of ignorance or they don't realize the care the creature needs, or they forget about it... whatever their excuse they should be punished to the full extent of the law and forbidden to ever own an animal again in my opinion." Duo paused for a moment, his voice had been growing stronger and slightly louder as his anger showed through.

Heero put his mug down on the table and closed his hand around Duo's arm, squeezing lightly. "I understand exactly what you're saying, Duo. I've seen a few cruelty cases, mainly on the news although not personally but I can imagine how you must feel having to treat and deal with them yourself. I agree with you, some people should never be allowed to have animals." Realizing he was still caressing Duo's arm, Heero flushed and pulled it away, hiding his face behind his bangs.

Duo was warmed by Heero's concern and a little shocked then delighted at the gentle touch to his arm. His anger faded a little and he continued to talk, attempting to ease Heero's obvious embarrassment. "The good times though, they can make up for some of the shit times. When you get an animal brought in that's really sick or injured and you do your best to help it with surgery, drugs and whatever else you can use and the animal recovers and goes on to lead a long life, that's always a good feeling. Same as helping a dog or cat when they're giving birth, that never ceases to amaze me. A completely new life coming into the world, it's awe inspiring."

Heero smiled. He could relate to that feeling now, having watched Duo at work earlier with the Siamese cat, gently helping her to deliver her kittens and the look of contentment on both the cat's face and Duo's when the miracle of birth was complete, stirred a warmth deep inside him.

"Take Zero for example..."

At the sound of his beloved horse's name, Heero looked up.

"He's injured himself and I know I have the means to help him. It's a good feeling to know you are relieving their pain and making them better, even if they don't always appreciate it at the time." Duo gave a wry grin.

"You've been hurt?" Heero asked as he raised an eyebrow.

"It's a dangerous business at times, Heero. Unlike humans an animal can't tell you where it hurts and despite how gentle and careful you are they can and do react in the only way they know how, they don't understand that you're trying to help them, they just think you're going to hurt them which is understandable most of the time as we do have to prod and poke around; so they bite, kick or claw at you. I've had my fair share of attacks, believe me they aren't nice but you can't reprimand the animal for following its instincts. All you can do is grit your teeth and take as many precautions as you can."

"Aa."

"You know what the funniest thing is though, Heero?" Duo began to chuckle.

"No."

"When my patients come to the surgery it's not uncommon to see their owners having to drag them in, but when it's time to leave they're out of the door at a hundred miles an hour."

Heero laughed.

"Doesn't do much for my ego, I can tell you!" Duo drained his mug. "You finished?"

"Hai." Heero passed his mug over.

Duo rinsed them out and set them to drain. He yawned and stretched, his shirt riding up a little. "I think I'll go take my shower and head for bed. Is there anything I can get you, Heero?"

"Iie. I think I'll be going to bed too."

"You can watch some telly if you want, just because I'm going to bed doesn't mean you have to if you'd rather stay up for a bit."

"I'm tired, Duo. Thanks all the same but after today's fiasco all I want to do is sleep."

"Yeah, I can imagine you're feeling a bit sore and bruised. Rest will be good for you." Duo began to lock up the house.

"Thanks, Duo. Not just for helping me out, but for treating Zero and looking after me... I... I really appreciate it."

"It's okay, Heero and I mean that. I like you, you're a nice guy and you look like you could do with a friend. Your horse is special too," Duo said with a wink and headed towards the bathroom.

Heero followed, turning off the light as he exited the kitchen. He stopped at the doorway to the bathroom as Duo began to step inside.

"You're a special person yourself, Duo. Not many people would take a complete stranger into their home and do for them what you've done for me." Heero blushed a little as he spoke but he did mean what he said and hoped that Duo would believe his sincerity.

Duo paused in the bathroom doorway and turned back to face Heero. "You're most welcome, Heero. I don't usually do this sort of thing but... well, when I saw you and your horse competing it was something special, magical even. The rapport you two have is purely heaven to watch and when you fell and Zero was hurt I knew I would help you out all I could. Just something about you two that say's you can be trusted, you needed the help even if you didn't want to ask or expect it. It's my pleasure to have been there and be able to offer that assistance. Now, you go to bed and get some rest. If there is anything you need, just call out. I'll make you breakfast when I get back from picking up my car in the morning." Then Duo was gone, the door shutting quietly and Heero made his way to his room, mind swirling with thoughts.

***

Duo groggily looked at the clock, the luminous red numbers glared back at him. Two thirty am. He groaned and rolled over wondering what the hell had woken him and then he heard it again, a soft cry and whimper.

Heero.

Quickly, Duo tossed back the covers and shot out of the bed, he padded to the door and opened it. The soft cries grew louder the closer he got to Heero's room. He gave a soft knock and paused, calling Heero's name; but Heero didn't answer him, instead there was another cry and so Duo decided to step inside anyway. As he entered the room he could see Heero on the bed, the sheets twisted around him as his body writhed and convulsed, obviously caught in a nightmare. Duo was beside the bed in an instant, his hands going to Heero's shoulders and gently soothing. "Heero? Heero... wake up. You're having a nightmare," he said softly.

Heero moaned, the grass had rushed up to meet him and as he hit so a crushing weight landed on top of him. Zero. The horse thrashed around on top of him, pinning him to the ground and grinding him further into the grass and dirt as the animal fought to regain its footing. "Ahhh..." he cried out as he tried to get out from underneath the animal and failing. He could feel the pain searing through his body as bones were crushed and then there was a gentle voice calling him and he reached eagerly for it.

As Heero began to surface from his nightmare he became aware of strong arms holding him, hands running soothingly over his back while warm breath grazed the skin of his neck. Awake at last he realized that Duo was holding him, comforting him and talking softly to him as if calming a skittish animal. His breath felt ragged in his raw throat and he managed to get some words out of his mouth. "Duo?"

"Hush, Heero. It's a nightmare, that's all. You're awake now, it can't hurt you," murmured Duo as he continued to gently rock the sweating man and stroke his back, offering what comfort he could.

"God, it was awful. Zero... he fell on me. I was being crushed... I couldn't breathe, couldn't get out..." Heero felt his breath hitching as the horror of the nightmare came flooding back.

"It's okay, Heero. It was only a dream, I've got you, you're safe now."

Heero burrowed deeper into the warmth and comfort of the vet, he didn't care if he was being childish for seeking the contact, all he knew was that he felt safe; and he wanted Duo to hold him for as long as possible.

Duo continued to hold and caress Heero as the man's shaking slowed and eventually stilled. Heero had suffered a traumatic shock to his system and Duo wasn't surprised that he'd had a nightmare. He was glad he'd woken up when he had and had been there to offer comfort. He couldn't help feeling though how nice it felt to have Heero in his arms like this.

Finally Heero pulled away, the dream having left him. "Arigato. Sorry I woke you up."

"Don't worry about it, Heero. Glad I could be here for you. You feeling better now?" Duo released Heero from his embrace and sat back.

"Hai, thanks."

"You ready to go back to sleep now?"

"Yeah. Duo?"

"Yes?"

"This is probably going to sound stupid but... would you stay with me until I fall asleep again?" Heero felt his cheeks flush.

"Of course I will. You lie back and go back to sleep. I'll stay with you."

"Thank you." Heero settled back into the mattress and closed his eyes. Having Duo's presence there soothed him and he felt himself drifting off.

Duo sat and watched as the young man slipped back into slumber and then stood up. He tucked the blankets around Heero's shoulders and brushed a strand of hair away from his face. Unable to resist he leant down and whispered softly. "Sleep well, Heero. I'll look after you if you'll let me," and then he pressed a soft kiss to Heero's cheek before leaving the room and going back to his own bed.

A pair of blue eyes opened and Heero touched the spot on his cheek where Duo had kissed him. He smiled and allowed sleep to claim him once more, this time his dreams were much happier.

tbc....

[1] Boot Jack; this is a nifty little invention usually made of wood or steel. It's shaped like a 'Y' and you put the heel of the boot into the top, open part, stand your other foot and weight onto the tail bit then pull against the open bit. The boot should then slide off. It doesn't always work though and you have to be careful that your foot doesn't pull free of the jack and kick you in the other shin!