Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Equinity ❯ Chapter 30 ( Chapter 30 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G'boys, I just borrow them from time to time to play with and return them a whole lot happier, ne?
 
Rating: NC 17
 
Warnings: Sap, angst, yaoi, Lemon, AU, OOC
 
Pairing: 2x1
 
Summary: Heero is a successful up and coming Showjumping rider with his promising new horse Zero. A fall at a show renders the animal injured and it is up to Duo Maxwell the new vet to treat the horse.
 
Dedication: To Klingonpoodle who gave me the plot bunny for this fic. *huggles* This one's for you hun!
 
Many thanks to my betas Yami_Tai and Ryouga.
 
Archive: http://gundam-wing-diaries.150m.com
http://www.templeofthegoddess.com/files/FrontPage1.html
http://adultfanfiction.net
http://www.theforsakenwk.com
 
Notes: All the information on showjumping, horses, etc is taken from my own knowledge of the sport having been a competitor and now judge for many years and is written from an Australian perspective. The rules and regulations are courtesy of the E.F.A Handbook. (Equestrian Federation of Australia) Should you have any questions just e-mail me.
 
Many thanks to Yami_tai for the title! *hugs*
 
 
"Equinity"
 
October. 2004 ShenLong
 
Chapter 30
 
Heero's eyes stared at the clock, the red numbers slowly registering in his mind. He blinked and looked again. They hadn't changed. 35.65. The bay and his rider had beaten Zero by two hundredths of a second. Heero didn't feel disappointed though, on the contrary, he felt happy.
 
"Well, that's gotta suck," said Duo, drawing Heero out of his thoughts.
 
The blue eyed man turned to look at his boyfriend. "It's not that bad, Duo. Coming in second is far better than I'd hoped for. To be honest I was just hoping that Zero's leg would be able to take the pressure of competition again and finish sound; having placed second is a real bonus." Heero turned to pat the gray. "You were fantastic, Zero, nothing to be ashamed of at all."
 
"Fifty-five?" called the gate marshal and Heero looked up.
 
"Hai?"
 
"Come on, you need to mount up and go in for the presentation."
 
"Shit!" Heero scrambled to tighten Zero's girth whilst Duo slipped the reins back over the gray's head and pulled the stirrup down on the opposite side. Heero swung himself into the saddle and collected his reins and wits before thanking Duo and making his way to the gate to stand next to the bay who had won.
 
The gate marshal opened the gate and they began to ride into the ring for the presentation. They halted before the judge, standing side by side from first place down to fourth, leaving enough room between their horses for the judge to step between. The judge took the blue rosette from his assistant and clipped it to the bridle of the bay, exchanging a few words with the rider as he handed the winner an envelope. Stepping back he approached Heero next and affixed the red rosette to Zero's bridle then turned to Heero and shook his hand, offering Heero an envelope as well.
 
"That's a very nice horse you have there and a brilliant round. I haven't seen a jump off so close and so well ridden in a long time. I hope to see more of you," said the judge as he shook Heero's hand.
 
"Thank you. We're only just getting back out after having had a bad fall a few months back."
 
"Well, good luck. You have talent there."
 
Heero gave a smile and patted Zero's neck, making a fuss of the horse.
 
"Nice animal," said the man on the bay who'd won. "I didn't think I'd bettered you, you set a cracker of a time to beat!"
 
Heero laughed. "Not quite fast enough though. Congratulations."
 
"Thanks. Congratulations to you too. I haven't seen you around before. New to the game?"
 
"No. I've been competing for a while but we had a bad fall a few months back at an Ag show, put Zero out of action for a while. This show was more or less his debut to see how he copes after the accident."
 
"Looks like he's coping well," chuckled the other man.
 
"I'll know for sure come tomorrow once he's had a chance to feel the stress and strain," returned Heero.
 
"Well I wish you all the best. Hopefully I will see you around the shows a bit. By the way, my name is Treize, Treize Kushrenada."
 
"Heero, Heero Yuy." Heero's mind was ticking over, he recalled the name Kushrenada but couldn't think where from at the moment.
 
"Nice to meet you, Heero. I think that's our cue to leave," the man said and nodded in the direction of the judge who had stepped back from placing the rosette on the fourth place getter and was signaling for them to do their lap of honor.
 
Heero collected up his reins and urged Zero forwards into trot and then canter, following Treize and his bay around the ring and then exiting.
 
"See you around, Heero," said Treize as he waved and then rode off.
 
"You too," replied Heero and turned to find Duo standing at Zero's shoulder.
 
"Making friends with the opposition?" teased Duo.
 
Heero smiled as he dismounted. "He seems a pretty nice guy and has a good horse," replied Heero. "I'm sure I've seen or heard of him before, the name rings a bell, but I can't think why at the moment."
 
"I'm sure it will come to you eventually, Heero."
 
"Come on, let's take Zero back to the float, pack up and go home," said Heero as he began to turn and leave the ring.
 
"What's in the envelope?" Duo asked as they started to walk back to the float.
 
"Don't know," replied Heero. He'd forgotten about the envelope that was tucked into his jacket pocket. With Duo's question he fished it out and handed it to the vet. "Want to open it for me?"
 
Duo grinned. "Sure," he said and took the envelope, ripping the end open and ferreting inside. "Ohh... Nice."
 
"What is it?"
 
"A feed voucher for twenty dollars," said Duo as he handed the voucher to Heero to take a look.
 
"Zero's earned his carrots for a couple of weeks then," chuckled Heero as he passed the voucher back. "I didn't recall them saying there were prizes on the program."
 
"I wouldn't knock it, Heero. The way this animal puts away carrots you're in need of every bit of financial assistance you can get," snickered Duo.
 
"True," returned Heero good naturedly. They arrived at the float and between the two of them they got Zero unsaddled, rugged and ready for the trip home.
 
Duo packed away the stuff into the back of the car, complaining loudly as he did so. "How come all this shit fits in neatly when you load up to go to a show and yet it doesn't want to go back in to go home?"
 
"That's the secret of show competing," said Heero in a serious tone.
 
"Huh? What the hell are you going on about, Heero?"
 
"The gear. If you don't keep your eye on it, it tends to multiply… breed out of control so you can barely stuff it all back into the car," whispered Heero and then glanced around. "It's a known fact, Duo."
 
Duo rolled his eyes. "Of all the times for you to get a sense of humor. Idiot!" Duo swatted his boyfriend on the ass.
 
Heero grinned. "Seriously though, I don't know why it is but you have less when packing up to go home but it seems to take up twice the room."
 
"I blame Murphy," replied Duo as he squashed the grooming kit inbetween the water bucket and saddle and managed to get the boot to close.
 
"Murphy?"
 
"Yeah, Murphy's law. Don't tell me you haven't heard of it, Heero?" The look on Heero's face was enough to convince Duo that the accountant hadn't. "Sheesh, you must have had a deprived childhood. Murphy; he was an Irishman and his law states 'Anything that can go wrong, will', or something like that."
 
"Ahh."
 
"I can see we have some serious educating to do here."
 
"Right now all I want to do is navigate home, get Zero settled and then soak in a warm bath tub. Once I'm in the tub you can feel free to educate me any way you want," returned Heero with a lusty grin.
 
"Mmmm... I might have to see what I can do about that. What are you waiting for then? Let's get Zero on the float and go home. I need some serious snuggle time to make up for today's lack of it."
 
Heero untied Zero and quickly loaded him onto the float. With the tail gate secured the pair got into the car and left the show grounds, the red rosette hanging proudly from the rear vision mirror.
 
***
 
Heero lay back in the tub and gave a soft moan of bliss. The horses had been fed and tucked in for the night, Scythe having been more than happy at their return and Duo had to make quite a fuss of the mare to make up for leaving her alone all day. The car had been unloaded and the gear put away, the float parked, cleaned out and unhitched ready for the next time. Duo had made them both a strong cup of coffee whilst Heero had dealt with his boots that appeared to want to stay connected to his feet and legs. The casserole that they had left in the slow cooker that morning was done so they didn't have to worry about cooking, dinner was all ready for them whenever they were ready to eat it. For now though, Heero was content to simply lie back in the bath tub and enjoy the soothing properties of the hot water against his tired muscles.
 
Duo had checked Zero's leg once they'd arrived back home and aside from a little heat found nothing to cause any worry. Duo had applied the liniment and bandaged Zero's leg just to be on the safe side. Tomorrow would be the real test. Overnight the muscles would have a chance to stiffen up so if there was going to be any problem with the leg it would be sure to show in the morning. Heero had just closed his eyes when he heard the bathroom door open.
 
"Starting without me?" came the soft voice.
 
Heero opened his eyes to see Duo standing in the doorway. "Going to join me?"
 
"If you want me to," replied Duo with a grin.
 
"I need someone to wash my back," returned Heero with a smirk.
 
"Oh, so that's all I am, a back washer?" Duo began to remove his clothing and climbed into the tub with Heero.
 
Heero shifted a little so Duo could settle between his legs and then pulled the vet back towards his chest, Duo laying his head on Heero's shoulder.
 
"Mmmm... This is nice," murmured Duo as the heat of the water sank into his skin. He'd pinned his braid up on the top of his head to avoid the mass getting wet and that left his neck bare.
 
Not one to pass up an opportunity, Heero began to nuzzle at the creamy throat, pressing small kisses to the skin and causing Duo to shiver. "Enjoy yourself today?"
 
"Yes, I did. Thanks for taking me."
 
"My pleasure. I hope you come to more shows with me. You're my good luck charm."
 
"I'd love to come to as many as I can, Heero. Depends on the practice though," replied Duo as his eyes slid shut, enjoying the attention Heero was paying to his neck. "Besides, I need to keep an eye on you."
 
"Pardon?" Heero paused in his ministrations.
 
"You know, rescue you from the hoards of females," snickered Duo.
 
Heero shook his head. "I've already told you I'm not interested in women, Duo."
 
"I know that and you know that; but they don't." Duo did his best not to laugh as he caught Heero's expression from the corner of his eye.
 
"You suggest I walk around with a sign saying 'I'm gay and taken'? Think that would have the desired effect of keeping the females at bay?" retorted Heero.
 
"The only effect that would have would to land your ass in jail, and then what would I do?"
 
"So, the truth is out then?"
 
"Huh?"
 
"You only want me for my ass."
 
"Oh, not just your ass. There's a small matter of your computer and accountancy skills, not to mention it would cost me a fortune to hire a receptionist-come-vet nurse to replace you," teased Duo.
 
"I knew it, I'm nothing but a slave; a cheap source of labor," said Heero in a feigned, hurt tone.
 
"Hmmm. Slave? Now that has potential," snickered Duo. "I suggest you start calling me Master, Heero."
 
"Master Heero? But I thought your name was Duo."
 
The water sloshed in the tub as Duo turned and gave Heero a friendly punch. "Idiot!"
 
Heero laughed and picked up the wash cloth, soaping it up and proceeding to wash both himself and Duo off.
 
***
 
The television was flickering, the pair on the couch snuggled up together watching an episode of Star Trek. Zero's red rosette hung on the wall, Duo insisting that they put it on display and not hide it away in Heero's room as the accountant had intended. The empty dinner dishes sat on the coffee table along with the two half full mugs of hot chocolate. Both men were tired from their day out; Heero from the physical aspect and Duo from the emotional.
 
Duo's eyes were beginning to slide shut, even though it was only nine o'clock. He was comfortable in a pair of flannelette pajamas and currently cuddled against Heero's side, the other man's arm draped over his shoulder whilst Duo's right arm had slipped behind Heero's waist and his left was resting on Heero's thigh. The warmth from Heero's body was comforting and aiding Duo's body as it began to slide towards sleep. Suddenly Duo was dragged from his state of suspended animation as Heero jerked and stiffened.
 
"That's who he is!"
 
"Shit! Gimme a heart attack, why don't you?" Duo grumbled as he tried to settle his racing heart and calm himself down after jumping almost completely off the couch in fright.
 
"Sorry. I didn't mean to scare you, Duo," replied Heero and dropped an apologetic kiss to the vet's head.
 
"What the heck are you going on about anyway?" said Duo as he tried to cuddle again, only to have Heero shift away slightly so they could make eye contact. Duo wasn't impressed at losing his snuggle toy.
 
"That guy."
 
"What guy?" Duo sighed and then resigned himself to not enjoying anymore contact with his human teddy bear for a while.
 
"The guy that beat Zero and I today. I knew his face and name were familiar but I couldn't think where from. Now I remember," said Heero in an excited tone.
 
"Gonna share or do I have to play twenty questions?"
 
"Sorry. The guy said his name was Treize, Treize Kushrenada."
 
"So? I wouldn't know him from a bar of soap, his name doesn't ring any bells to me. Is he a client of ours?"
 
Heero snorted. "No, he isn't. He doesn't come from around here, he lives in the city."
 
"And?" Duo prompted.
 
"He's quite well off."
 
"What's that got to do with the price of eggs? Fuck. You have got me playing twenty questions after all. Geeze, Heero, will you just spill already, at least whilst I still have all my faculties and no gray hair?"
 
Heero chuckled. "I don't think gray hairs would be game to invade this gorgeous mop of hair you have."
 
"You'd be surprised and you're getting off topic again. Who is this guy and why is he so important?"
 
"Treize Kushrenada owns one of the largest string of showjumpers in the country. He's known for buying or breeding quality animals and training them up to become champions. He jumps most of the horses himself as he gets them going, taking them to the smaller shows to gain experience and stuff; once they start to make it through the grades he hands them over to whomever he has in his employ as his riders at the time and they take them through the rest of the grades. He's had a few make it to the Olympic short list and a couple were in the Nations Cup team a couple of years ago." Heero had a glassy look in his eye. "To have Kushrenada employ you to ride his horses is an honor."
 
Duo shifted, a little uncomfortable at the revelation. "I take it you would be keen to ride for him?"
 
"Fuck, yes! Anyone in their right mind would love to ride for the Kushrenada stable. It's the chance of a lifetime. You can learn so much from the man as well as get to ride top horses. Did you know he was an Olympic silver medalist himself a few years ago?"
 
"No, I didn't." Duo's quiet tone went unheeded by Heero for a moment.
 
"If you can get noticed and employed by him then you have no idea of the doors that will open for the serious competitor."
 
"Ah." Duo turned his attention back to the television, even thought he wasn't remotely interested in it any longer.
 
Heero returned from his mind wanderings long enough to note that Duo wasn't cuddled up to him anymore and that the vet seemed a little... cool? Then Heero realized what he'd said and the effect that must have had on Duo; he mentally kicked himself. "Duo?" he asked . "Are you okay?"
 
"I'm fine. Why wouldn't I be?"
 
"Look, I know what I've just said must be a bit of a shock to you, Duo, and I did mean it when I said it would be an honor to be able to ride for the Kushrenada stable and I know I would love to do something like that; but..." Heero shifted and touched his fingers to Duo's cheek. "Firstly, I'm not good enough and secondly, if it meant I would have to give you up then I'm afraid I'd rather remain a second rate rider."
 
Duo turned his head so he could see Heero's eyes. "No. I wouldn't expect you to give up an opportunity like that if it should come your way. You promise me that if it does you will take it, Heero."
 
Seeing the determination in Duo's eyes, Heero swallowed and chose his words carefully. "I can't say that I wouldn't be tempted, Duo. However, I wouldn't simply jump in, I'd want to know all the in's and out's first. Anyway, it's never going to happen so let's not worry about it, okay?" Heero bent to kiss the tip of Duo's nose.
 
Duo still wasn't convinced. Any fool could see that Heero was a talented rider and deserved the best chances he could get and Duo didn't want to find that ten years down the track Heero had given up the chance to become famous because he'd felt obligated to stay with Duo. But Duo could also see the determination in Heero's face and knew better than to argue the point. "Okay, let's see what happens. But, if the chance should arise I want you to tell me and consider it completely, not just turn it down because of me; I'd never forgive myself if you were to do that, Heero."
 
"I promise that if I do get approached by a large stable to ride for them, whether it be Kushrenada's or another stable, I will let you know and we will go into all the nitty-gritty stuff together before making a final decision."
 
Duo smiled. "That's better." He raised his head and kissed Heero soundly.
 
"Aishiteru, Duo."
 
"Aishiteru to you too, Heero."
 
Heero's eyes widened a little. Duo chuckled. "I did a little research," he explained. "I know what it means now and I love you too, Heero."
 
Heero's heart warmed with the thought that Duo cared enough to find out a little of Heero's native language and he showed his appreciation by claiming Duo's lips in a torrid kiss.
 
"Come on, I think we both need to go to bed and get some rest. I'm exhausted and I wasn't the one riding so I can imagine how you feel," said Duo softly as he reached for the remote and turned off the television.
 
"I'll just grab the dishes and wash up," replied Heero.
 
"No, you won't. Leave them, Heero. I'll pop them in the sink and they can soak overnight. I'll wash them in the morning, we've both had a busy day so they can wait."
 
"Okay." Heero gave a soft smile and stretched before standing up and making his way to his bedroom.
 
***
 
The following day dawned and it was a return to the usual routine for the pair. They fed the horses and put them out, Duo checking Zero's leg and happy that the horse appeared to be relatively sound. There was a little heat and swelling but not enough to be overly concerned about. Heero said he would take Zero out for a short ride that afternoon to ease any of the stiffness from his joints from the show. They finished the stable work and enjoyed breakfast together before Heero headed off to work and Duo went to open up for morning consults.
 
Out in the paddock the two horses stood side by side on differing sides of the fence, tails swishing to keep the flies at bay. Scythe had been a little aloof, her nose slightly out of joint at having been left at home all day by herself whilst Zero had been off at the show. The humans had made a big fuss over her though when they had returned and being the sweet natured mare she was, she had forgiven them.
 
The stallion though was another matter.
 
He'd tried to 'talk' to her but she'd ignored him for a while, opting to thoroughly lick out her feed bin instead. As the evening had worn on though she'd gravitated towards the stable partition and finally given in to his soft calls. She could smell different scents on him and knew he'd been off out somewhere with other horses and that disturbed her. Why, she didn't know, but she had a strange sensation running through her blood and all she knew about it was that she wanted to be closer to the other horse.
 
The sun was warm on her back and she rubbed her face against her foreleg. The gray was on the other side of the fence dozing lightly so Scythe took a moment to study the stallion. He was a handsome creature, she had to give him that much. Fine lines to his body, muscular legs, good strong neck and his hindquarters... He had one of the best rumps that Scythe had ever seen. His face wasn't that bad either, she mused. His eyes were a liquid brown, two clean and neat ears with a muzzle the color of a baby mushroom, and just as soft she snorted quietly, recalling the few occasions when their muzzles had touched.
 
No doubt about it, he was certainly a mare's man. Scythe shook her head, not understanding why she was suddenly having these thoughts and interest in her stable companion. Her body was reacting to his scent and she found herself wanting to get closer to him.
 
Zero cracked open an eye and noticed the mare watching him. He blew softly through his nostrils and when he next inhaled he detected a strange scent in the air. He breathed again. The scent was coming from the mare and it set Zero's blood pulsing. He raised his head and gave a low grunt. Scythe gave a soft grunt in return. Tentatively, Zero stretched his head over the fence and rubbed against the mare's neck; when she didn't object he began to nibble at her withers and scratch the base of her neck with his teeth.
 
Neither horse could understand what was happening, they simply followed their instincts.
 
The scents and signals that the mare was giving off began to excite Zero. He began to nibble a little stronger and was rewarded when Scythe began to lower her head. Moments later the mare pushed herself up against the fence, trying to get closer to the stallion. Zero's attention was momentarily drawn to the mare's rear end and he sniffed her over. The pheromones were thick in the air and Zero found himself reacting strongly to the scent.
 
Scythe wasn't sure what was going on. Her body was reacting to the scent of the stallion very strongly and all she wanted to do was get closer to him. She pushed against the fence and felt his attention wander momentarily; then he was back, snorting and giving low grunts. His attentions to her neck, the soft nibbles were exciting her and she wanted more of him. Following her instincts she turned again and pushed her rump towards the stallion.
 
Zero sniffed again and then curled his upper lip in appreciation. There was no doubt in his mind now that the mare wanted him; and he wanted her! His blood was on fire, his excitement building but there was one slight problem.
 
The fence.
 
Zero was in one paddock and the mare was in the other. Between them stood a solid post and rail fence of five feet.
 
Not one to be easily deterred, especially when there was a lovely willing mare on the other side, Zero put his mind to the task at hand. How to get to the mare…
 
Scythe didn't really give a damn at the moment, she was too busy rubbing her rear end against the fence and trying to entice the stallion to do whatever it was her body was seeking and her instincts were telling her.
 
Zero eyed the fence and made up his mind. If the mare couldn't come to Zero then Zero would go to the mare. He gave a low whinny and then backed away from the fence. The mare watched him, whinnying softly in return and not sure what the gray was up to. Seconds later she had her answer as Zero lined up the fence, took a short run up and jumped it.
 
The gray landed easily in the mare's paddock and cantered over to her. Squeals were exchanged as muzzles touched and they sniffed each other over. Zero arched his neck and pranced, showing off a little before taking the dominant role. He approached Scythe carefully, not completely sure that his advances would be accepted but his instincts drove him on. When the mare didn't react badly to him he stamped his foreleg and tossed his head before giving a loud squeal and sidling around Scythe's flank.
 
Scythe braced herself and waited for the stallion to take over. She grunted as she felt his body next to hers and then the cool rush of air as he reared up. She grunted again as her body bore his weight, hind legs splayed a little to keep her balance as he proceeded to do what nature instructed him. She felt his teeth sink lightly into her neck and gave a whinny of protest but didn't have time to try and shake him off.
 
Zero lined himself up and mounted the mare, dropping his weight to her back and thrusting himself inside. All his instincts told him that this was what he had to do and he bit down on the mare's neck to let her know who was the boss here. His hind quarters moved on their own, grunts coming from his throat as he did what nature intended. Seconds later it was all over and Zero gave a final grunt, collapsing over the mare as his eyes slid shut.
 
Scythe felt her legs trembling with the weight and she snorted. She shook herself, dislodging the stallion and forcing him to leave her or fall over. With the weight gone from her back and the heat in her blood momentarily stilled, Scythe felt a little better. She turned and rubbed her head against the stallion's neck. Zero wuffled and returned the caress before leading the mare over to a shady tree where they stood head to tail, whisking the flies off each other's faces and enjoying the company.
 
***
 
Heero brought the car to a smooth halt and turned the engine off. He picked up his briefcase and exited the vehicle. Locking it his eyes wandered to the paddock. He was looking forward to taking Zero out for a bit of a ride this afternoon and had thought about it all morning at work. Heero squinted and then raised a hand to shade his eyes as he gazed out at the paddock. He scratched his head. He was certain that they had put both Scythe and Zero in separate paddocks that morning. He looked again. No doubt about it, both horses were now in the same paddock. He wondered if Duo may have shifted Zero for any particular reason and that sent a chill to his heart. Maybe there was something wrong with Zero. Rather than get too worked up, Heero thought he'd better get the facts first and strode towards the house.
 
Duo looked up from the kitchen table where he was reading the paper when Heero entered. "How was work this morning?" he asked.
 
"Fine. I have a couple of new clients. How were morning consults?"
 
"The usual, vaccinations, ear canker, dew claw removal, evacuation of anal glands..."
 
"Pardon?" Heero turned around from where he was making a cup of coffee.
 
Duo chuckled. "Evacuation of anal glands. I have a client whose dog tends to get impacted anal glands from time to time. I have to empty them out for him; the dog's that is."
 
Heero shuddered at that thought. "Thank heavens they don't do that to humans," he muttered.
 
Duo snickered. "Sometimes they do, it's called an enema."
 
"You know, you can be downright evil at times, Duo," Heero replied.
 
Duo simply laughed.
 
Heero's mind returned to Zero as he spotted the two horses from the kitchen window. "Duo?"
 
"Yes?"
 
"Did you put Zero in with Scythe for any particular reason today?"
 
"Huh? What do you mean? I haven't been outside to the horses since this morning when we put them out and fed them."
 
"Zero and Scythe are in the same paddock, I spotted them when I pulled up and thought you may have put them in together for some reason."
 
"Wasn't me. I didn't know they were in together," replied Duo as he stood up and walked over to the kitchen window. "How the hell did they get in together?"
 
Heero took a drink of his coffee and then placed the mug on the bench top. "I think we had better investigate, I'll just go get changed first."
 
"Okay, I'll come out with you," said Duo absently scratching his head. He knew he'd put Zero into one paddock and Scythe into the other this morning whilst Heero cleaned the stables and he was certain he'd closed the gates properly. He shrugged his shoulders. They'd find out he guessed when they went out to check the pair.
 
Heero went through to his room and changed out of his shirt, tie and slacks, pulling on a pair of worn jeans and T-shirt. He toed off his dress shoes and located his short boots, picking them up and carrying them out to the kitchen, setting them by the door. Duo was still by the kitchen window. "You got anything booked in for this afternoon?"
 
"Nah, got a quiet one for a change," replied Duo.
 
"I was thinking about taking Zero out for a short ride, help to loosen his muscles and get rid of any stiffness from yesterday."
 
"That's a good idea."
 
"I thought you might like to come along with me."
 
"Uh. You mean, me, ride out with you? On Scythe?"
 
"I wasn't expecting you to walk. Besides, you're riding well enough to go out for a change. I won't be going fast, just mostly walking and a little trotting, I only want to ease any soreness from Zero, that's all."
 
"I don't know."
 
"Come on, Duo. I'd love to have your company." Heero sidled up behind the vet and wrapped his arms around Duo's waist, pressing kisses to Duo's throat. "Please?"
 
Duo felt his resistance melting under the assault. When Heero used that tone of voice and applied such sweet kisses to his throat, Duo couldn't refuse him anything. "All right."
 
"Great. Let's go get the nags ready." Heero released his boyfriend, downed the last of his coffee and dumped the cup in the sink. The pair went to the back door, Heero putting on his boots whilst Duo checked he had his pager and cell phone on him. "All set?" Heero asked as he held open the door for Duo.
 
"Yup." Duo stepped out and waited for Heero to shut the door and then walked next to his partner towards the paddock. "How the hell did they get in together?" Duo asked aloud as he eyed both paddock gates. Both were still securely shut, the lead ropes dangling from their respective gates.
 
"It doesn't look like anyone has been tampering with the gates or moved them," said Heero as he studied the ground around the gates and not finding anything other than their own footprints and those of the horses.
 
Hearing the humans' voices, Zero and Scythe looked up from under the tree they were currently using for shade. Zero shook his head as Scythe rubbed against him. Seeing the humans pick up the lead ropes and begin to enter the paddock they broke from their dozing and began to walk across the paddock hoping for carrots.
 
Heero clipped the lead rope to Zero's halter. "How did you get in here, Zero?" he asked the horse as he ran a critical eye over the animal, looking for any sign that would give him a clue as to how Zero had come to be in Scythe's paddock.
 
"What you been up to, girl?" Duo asked the mare as he rubbed her forehead.
 
As expected, neither horse answered, other than to search the humans' pockets for carrots.
 
"I'm guessing that Zero has probably jumped the fence," said Heero quietly as they led the horses back to the stable area. He couldn't see any other explanation for how Zero had come to be in the other paddock.
 
"Why would he want to do that?" replied Duo. "He hasn't done it before."
 
"No, he hasn't. I guess I really don't know, Duo. I suppose he could have been lonely, he and Scythe are getting along pretty well now," said Heero as they tied their respective horses to the rings in the wall of the stable block.
 
They walked over to the tack shed where Heero fetched Scythe's gear and handed it to Duo before getting Zero's. Both laden with saddle, bridle, saddle blankets, brushes and in Heero's case bandages for Zero's legs, they walked back to where they'd left the horses tied up.
 
Approaching the animals, Duo's eyes widened and a small bell began to ring in the back of his head. Heero was too distracted to notice anything for the moment but Duo continued to observe and then the thought that was nagging at his mind come to the fore.
 
"Oh, fuck," Duo said quietly.
 
"Huh? What was that, Duo?"
 
"Heero... I think I know why Zero was in the same paddock as Scythe, why he jumped the fence."
 
"You do? Why?" Heero turned his curious eyes towards his boyfriend.
 
"Take a good look at them and tell me what you see." Duo nodded at the horses.
 
Heero turned his head and stared. He blinked and blinked again before it began to dawn on him. Scythe had shifted a little and was doing her best to push her rear end in Zero's direction. Zero was tied up a short distance away but was at the full extension of the lead rope, pulling in the mare's direction.
 
"Shit!" Heero muttered.
 
"Exactly."
 
"She's in season."
 
"I'd say so."
 
"You think Zero has...?"
 
"Highly probable."
 
"Fuck!"
 
"I think that's most likely what's occurred."
 
"Duo!"
 
The vet snickered.
 
"How would we know for sure?" asked Heero, opting to ignore his boyfriend's sense of humor for the moment.
 
"Well, there is one sure fire way of telling."
 
"And that would be?"
 
"Wait eleven months and see if we have a little Zero-Scythe running around," grinned Duo.
 
Heero resisted the urge to grab the braid and throttle the vet with it. Instead he rolled his eyes. "I know that much," he stated flatly. "Surely there has to be another way of telling though."
 
"Yes, there is." Duo thought he'd better behave himself and get serious. "I can give her a pregnancy test in roughly a month's time... or..." Duo's face seemed to scrunch a little at the current thought in his head.
 
"Or?"
 
"I guess I could examine her now and see if there is anything inside."
 
"Huh? I don't think I quite understand."
 
Duo sighed. "Put simply, I put on a rubber glove and check out her insides to see if Zero has served her already. If he has then there will be semen inside the vaginal area."
 
"Aa." Heero went as red as a beetroot.
 
"Even if there is evidence of semen it doesn't necessarily mean she's in foal. The only way to fully determine that is to wait a month or two and do a rectal pregnancy exam."
 
"Umm... Do you think...?"
 
Duo sighed again and then walked over to the stable door to place the saddle and gear on top of it, the weight was causing his arms to ache. "I'll go get the glove while you put her in the crush," he said, knowing full well that they wouldn't be able to go on their ride until Heero had an answer.
 
"Thanks."
 
Heero put the mare in the crush whilst Duo fetched one of the long examination gloves. It was thin rubber and covered his arm from fingertips to his biceps. Duo brought a thick tube of cream with him and proceeded to coat the gloved arm in it.
 
"It's similar to lube I guess you could say," Duo told his boyfriend with a grin as he watched Heero's reaction. Seeing Heero's face turning a little green, Duo decided to tease a little more. He tossed the tube to the bench and fixed Heero with his violet eyes. "Okay, drop 'em, and bend over."
 
"Pardon?!" Heero exclaimed, a panicked look appearing on his face.
 
Duo snickered. "Prostate exam. Isn't this how they do it? You know, rubber glove, bend over and all that shit?"
 
"Duo..." Heero's voice was on the verge of hysterical as he backed away from the vet. "You're not a doctor."
 
"Yes, I am. I'm Doctor Duo Maxwell. I thought you knew that." Duo closed the distance between them, a wicked look on his face.
 
"Yes, I do, but you're an animal doctor, not human." Heero had backed up against the stable wall and had nowhere to go. His eyes darted from side to side as he looked for a way to bolt.
 
"Feh, animal, human, it's all pretty much the same." The grin on Duo's face grew wider.
 
"Duo. I don't think..." Heero's words were cut off as Duo swept in and stole Heero's lips in a torrid kiss, effectively silencing any protests.
 
"You don't seriously think I would do that to you, do you, Heero?" Duo snickered as he pulled away from his partner.
 
"Um. You did have me worried for a moment there," admitted Heero and gave a sigh of relief.
 
Duo laughed. "I guess I shouldn't tease you like that."
 
"No, you shouldn't," grumbled Heero, more annoyed at himself than Duo for letting himself be taken in so easily.
 
"Let's get Scythe checked out and then we can go for that ride." Duo turned back around and headed for the mare's rear end. "Could you hold her tail out the way for me, please?"
 
Heero strode over, embarrassed that he'd let the vet tease him like that. He lifted Scythe's tail and pulled it to the side so Duo could slip his hand and arm inside the mare.
 
Duo's face twisted into a grimace as he gently eased his hand inside Scythe. He didn't have to go too far before he felt the tell tale slimness of semen and began to withdraw his arm. As his hand slipped out so there were a few threads of semen clinging to the rubber of the glove.
 
"Well?" Heero asked as he let the tail go.
 
"Zero has served her alright."
 
"Shit. Now what?"
 
"Now we have to wait for at least a month and then do a preg test to see if she's in foal," replied Duo as he began to remove the glove. "Yuk." Duo tossed the used glove into the trash bin. "There's a fifty-fifty chance either way," began Duo, "but we won't know for certain until I do a test further down the track."
 
"So, all we can do is wait?"
 
"Afraid so. Actually, it could be an interesting cross, if Scythe does take and get in foal then the foal could be something pretty good," said Duo in an attempt to ease a little of the shock effect this seemed to be having on Heero.
 
"I guess you're right. All we can do is wait and see." Heero turned back towards his horse, shaking his head. "You sneaky bugger, Zero," he said softly as he approached the gray.
 
Zero simply watched his master, the other human and the mare; a smug look on his face.
 
~ * ~
 
tbc......