Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Eternal Promises ❯ Part 14 ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer : I've never claimed to own Gundam Wing, or it's affiliated characters, so you can't sue me for that. I'm mearly borrowing them for my entertainment, and shall return them upon compleation of this fic, . . . perhaps ^_^. I do however stake claim to all original characters I happen to throw in here, and to this particular story.

Eternal Promises

By Eden

Part 14

The night was calm, and everything seemed to be moving smoothly, albeit, slowly. Although they may be no closer to knowing who had kidnapped Relena or the reason, at least Zecks knew she was safe now.

He raised one hand to rest on the window frame as he looked out at the grounds below.

Over the course of the night every Preventers operative that could be spared would take a turn on watch around the Peacecraft estate. It was a large scale operation, but not without due cause. The kidnappers may have said that it hadn't been a political strike, but that did little to sooth the worries of the government officials.

It did little to sooth his own worries to believe what the kidnappers said. Instead, it made his own worries worsen with every passing moment.

Zecks had almost told Relena what his thoughts were behind her kidnapping when he caught her worried expression after the debriefing. He managed to catch himself in time, before he opened his mouth. Despite what some would believe, he didn't think that it was his place to tell her, no matter how much she needed to know.

He had been doing quite a bit of thinking lately, and the more he thought, the clearer it became to him that he was probably not the reason why Relena had been kidnapped. The truth of the matter was that most people still thought he was dead. Not that there had been anything to prove otherwise. He hadn't been on Earth for two years now, and even when he was there, the only person who had seen him face to face was Commander Une.

Noin could've spotted him a mile away, and Sally had figured it out through her partner.

Perhaps when Noin had disappeared, that was a sign that he could've been alive, but only to those who had known her.

The most reasonable conclusion was that whoever had kidnapped Relena had known about Heero. They knew enough about him to see she was the only weakness he had, and that the easiest way to get his attention would be to target her.

That was exactly the reason why he had sent Relena to ask him about it.

A smile spread across his lips. The other reason why he had sent Relena to ask hero was because he shouldn't get off so easy.

Zecks wished he could be there when Relena asked him about it.

"What are you thinking about?" Noin asked coming up beside him.

"I'm just wondering if Heero's talked to Relena yet." Zecks said continuing to stair out the window.

"You sure like to play dirty." The dark haired woman shook her head. "You know how hard this is for Heero already without having to tell Relena how much she means to him."

"Perhaps, but it's about time he came clean to someone, and admit he has feelings. He may as well tell it to the person who needs to hear it most." He shifted his position slightly so he could see Noin's profile. "All I did was give him a little push."

She brought her arms up to cross across he chest as he head bowed into an amused smile. "That was a bit more than a push."

"Maybe it was, but he needed it."

"So it doesn't bother you that Heero has feelings for Relena?"

Zecks paused for a moment. Heero had felt something for Relena long before now. Was it really right of him to have an opinion, or even be allowed to care after so long? "No."

He watched Noin as she raised an eyebrow at him in surprise. "I wasn't expecting that."

"Would it matter if I did?" He turned his head to look at her face so he could best judge her response. "Would my comfort of feelings on the issue have an effect on weather or not they existed?" Zecks kept his voice level. Although the question had caught him off guard, it neither angered or displeased him. Rather, it made him put into words things he'd been wondering about for a while now.

"I think," He started as he removed his hand from the window frame and straitened his posture. "That even if I was able to make hero stay away from Relena, the only thing I would be doing is hurting the only family I have left." Zecks frowned slightly. "I could see in her eyes when I talked to her today. She truly cares for him in ways I can only begin to understand. It's as though all the horrible things he's done in the past don't matter to her, as long as she knows he's around to watch over her now."

Zecks fell silent for a moment before continuing. "A thousand men in this would give anything to be with her, but I know that none of them would look after her and respect her the way Heero would."

"Your probably right." Noin smiled, "They are an interesting pair."

"Actually, Relena reminds me of someone else I know." Zecks wrapped his arm around Noin's waist and drew her closer to himself.

"Now, who could that be?" She asked playfully.

Zecks allowed himself a low chuckle before he lowered his mouth to hers in a soft kiss.

Trowa stood in the trees below the Vice Foreign minister's balcony. He had seen when the lights inside the room had been switched on, and when Heero had opened up the balcony door to step outside. He had watched the dark haired man, who was quite obviously deep in thought, as he stared up at the sky. He knew what the source of his contemplation was even if he hadn't talked to him this morning. His feeling had been plainly evident since he had come back to Earth.

As he stood watching, Trowa heard someone come up and stand beside him.

"Shouldn't you still be sleeping?" He didn't need to look around to know it was Quatre beside him.

"I suppose I should be, but I figured that you might need a little time to get ready before you left."

Trowa looked down at his glowing wrist watch. "Three hours?"

There was the trace of a smile in the blond mans voice. "I couldn't sleep."

Trowa's eyebrow rose at the excuse and the obvious sounds of a yawn being stifled, but decided not to peruse the matter any further.

The two men stood in companionable silence for a few minutes before Quatre broke in with a question.

"How long has Heero been standing there?" He needed up at the darkened figure that still leaned against the balcony doors.

"Not very long. They just made it to Relena's room."

"I don't suppose that they've had time to talk much then."

Saying he was surprised would not have covered the extent of the feeling Trowa had at the words he had just heard. If he hadn't been standing right there he wouldn't have believed the note of disappointment in Quatre's voice. "You've never been the impatient one. That usually gets left to Duo."

"I think Duo's impatience has worn off on me."

"I see." He allowed a small smile to pass over his face before Quatre got back to business.