Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Eternal Promises ❯ Part 15 ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Gundam Wing, or any of it's ascociated characters, much to my dismay and pain. Of course, while I cannot claim them, I do claim ownership of this particular story and any original characters I happen to throw in.

.

Eternal Promises

By Eden

Part 15

"So how long is it going to take you to find the location of the transmitting computer?" Quatre asked Trowa as the two continued to keep watch of the balcony above.

Trowa scratched the back of his neck, sore from lack of sleep from the last couple days. "About twelve hours by plane to Western Canada, and then another couple hours by car to the exact address." He lowered his hand to his side once again. "Luckily the location is in a city."

Quatre, also showing signs of his obvious tiredness, pushed some hair back from his forehead. "Your right." He answered. "It won't look as suspicious if you go to a location in a populated area. The more remote the location, the higher the chances of you being discovered."

"The kidnappers must've been thinking the same thing when they planted and used that computer. No one would think it was strange if a single computer in the middle of a large city received a satellite transmission like the one that was re routed to us, but they would if it was in a more isolated area."

"You have to give them credit. Not man people would've thought about all of the ways they would need to cover their tracks just so that they wouldn't get caught with conventional means."

"Your right."

The night had seemed to get cooler all of a sudden with the beginnings of an icy breeze. While he zipped up his jacket a little more, Trowa looked up once again towards the balcony where Relena had joined Heero outside. As he watched, he saw the young woman hand Heero a decent shirt to put on.

Well, Trowa thought absently, He had looked rather cold in just his tank top. He smiled a small smile that grew once he heard Quatre speak beside him.

"At least one of them has some sense."

Even in the darkness, Trowa could tell Quatre was grinning. The two men looked at each other for a moment and sighed.

"Perhaps it's time we let them get a little privacy."

"After you." Trowa motioned towards the walkway behind them.

As Quatre turned and began walking down the stone walkway, Trowa took one last look up to where Relena and Heero were talking before following. "She had better know about everything by the time I get back, Heero."

Relena shivered, and tried to wrap her robe more tightly around herself while she tilted her head to look higher in the sky. "I love to come out here and just watch the stars before I go to bed at night. I find it relaxing. What about you?"

Heero thought for a moment before answering. "Looking at them gives perspective on things."

"Yes, it does." Relena brought her arms to wrap around herself to ward off the cold.

He hesitated for a moment before covering the distance between the two of them and gently wrapping his arms around her from behind. Heero felt her stiffen for a moment before she relaxed into the embrace.

They stood that way, both of them unmoving, for a short time while Heero's mind raced. This was the closest he had been to Relena while she was awake since he had come back. It was surprising to him that he could miss the feeling of her body in his arms when he had only held her perhaps three or four times the entire time he had known her. But he couldn't deny the calming feeling he got having her slim frame against his own.

"I'm glad you're here, Heero." Relena's quietly spoken words shattered the silence between them. "You always show up when I need you."

Heero lowered his chin to rest on the top of her head and tightened his grip on her waist. "I promised you a long time ago that I would protect you, and I meant it."

She sighed, and he felt her body sag a bit. "So when this is all over, are you going to leave again?"

His eyes widened briefly in surprise before answering. "That depends"

Relena couldn't believe what she was hearing. Heero was considering staying after everything calmed down? She turned around in his grip to face him and placed her hands on his shoulders. She was faintly aware that his hands did not move or loosen from their grip on her waist. "Depends on what?" Relena made sure she had his eyes looking into her own.

"A lot of things." His tone was serious, and it reflected within the depths of his eyes.

She took a deep breath. This was about as nerve wracking as getting a tooth pulled. Relena felt something akin to desperation. She needed to know this, needed Heero to tell her. "Tell me the most important thing it depends on."

When Heero did answer, his voice was barely over a whisper, but she heard it nonetheless. A single syllable word that could do so much had never felt so precious to her. "You."

Their gazes locked, and Relena felt her heart speed up. "What?" She whispered back. Her fingers curled to bunch the sweatshirt she had given him at his shoulders. A strange look passed across his face and she continued quickly. "I heard you the first time, but I want to hear you say it again."

Heero's face relaxed and he leaned towards her until there faces were almost touching. "It depends on you."

Tears began forming in her eyes. Relena had been waiting for so long to hear anything like this come from her elusive soldier, that anything that hinted towards a confession of his feelings seemed overwhelming. Her hands relaxed on his shoulders and she felt herself go weak. "Heero."

Heero's hands, that had been placed so gently on her hips before were now helping her to remain standing as she stared up at his face. Their gazes had locked, and Relena smiled. "If it's up to me, then I don't want you to ever leave."

Relena could've sworn that his eyes flashed with surprise, but it was gone a moment later, replaced with another emotion. At first she wasn't able to tell what it was, but once Heero's arms tightened around her waist and held the two of them together more firmly, it was fairly self evident.

There was just enough light to seen that the stormy depths of Heero's eyes were full of passion, enough to make Relena's already weak knees tremble slightly. Their faces were so close together now. Heero's head was bent towards hers and made it easy for her to tilt her chin up and meet his lips with her own.

At first neither of them moved. Their lips just rested softly against one another. Relena felt her heart speed up as tiny shivers traveled up her spine. Was this really happening? Was the pressure of Heero's lips pressed against her own real, or what it all just a dream?

All at once, things changed. Their lips were no longer simply pressed together, but moving against each other. Heero's mouth was soft and gentle, Relena's foggy mind though as she also felt his hand come up to tangle in the hair at the base of her head. Any doubt she had earlier about the reality of the situation was now completely dispelled. Nothing could've felt more real, or more amazing then what Heero was slowly doing to her.

Relena's body was weak; she could barely keep herself on her feet. Her hands tightened themselves once more on Heero's shoulders. Their kiss seemed to grow deeper with the minute. Each time their lips moved together, Relena felt a little more of her control slip away. Wave after wave of pleasure washed over her body until she was lost, and drowning.

A small moan escaped her lips. Heero took advantage of the situation and began to explore her mouth with his tongue. She felt him pass her teeth, and almost moaned again when he brushed past her own tongue.

She loved the taste of him. All the things that she associated with Heero like coffeewere a part of his own captivating flavor. It was comforting in some way, she was almost able to imagine that the kidnapping hadn't happened and that Heero was with here during normal circumstances. What would something like that feel like really? Her mind idly wandered as she felt Heero deepen their kiss.

Feelings Relena didn't know she had flowed through her body and awakened all of her senses. Her heart pounded, and when she moved her hands to Heero's chest, she felt his pounding as well.

A moment later when Heero pulled his mouth away from hers she still wasn't in complete control of her body. Relena opened her eyes only to have them captured with his own. She felt like she could stair into his eyes all night, allow herself to be swept away into their stormy depths.

Vaguely Relena realized how wonderful it felt to be held by Heero, to have her body pressed up against his, and to be surrounded by his comforting arms. It didn't matter how much she tried, she couldn't think of a single time in her life when she had felt as happy as she did now.

Even as she thought it, she felt a small smile tugging up at the corner of her mouth. "You realize that you can't leave me now, even if you wanted to?"

"I wouldn't," Was Heero's response. His eyes were suddenly filled with another emotion Relena wasn't used to seeing him express. "I made you a promise."

"You did." Without knowing why, her voice softened.

She wanted this, she wanted to stay with Heero the way they were at this moment and just forget about everything else. Forget about the kidnappers, the ESUN, and all of her obligations to everyone. It was a selfish wish, Relena knew as soon as she made it, but she just couldn't help it.

She had grown up never wanting for anything, had lived a life of privilege. Even after the war, and after her childhood was nothing more then a memory, she still lived well. Relena still never had to worry about where her next meal was coming from, or weather or not she'd be able to afford a new suit for work. Granted, now she gave much of what she had back to the people with the work she did as the Vice Foreign Minister, but she was still extremely well off in many ways.

While she had more money, fame and popularity then anyone had a right to ask for, Relena has always known she was missing something. For a long time now she had known what it was, but had also known that it was out of her reach. So she had waited until now, when the object of her desire and love was with her and left no doubts in her mind about his intentions.

Was it truly wrong for someone who had so much in life to wish for one more thing? If it really was, then Relena would have gladly given up everything she had been given, just so that she could make her one wish come true.

Heero watched as Relena's smile faulted and then slid off of her face entirely.

"What's wrong?" He asked her, gently brushing a finger across her cheek, and then down towards the junction between her top and lower lip.

She frowned slightly. "It's just that no matter how happy I am, I can't forget the reason why you came back. I can't forget about being kidnapped without a real reason."

Heero stopped stroking her check. It was coming. She was going to ask him what he knew about the kidnappers like she had earlier. But she surprised him. Instead of turning a questioning eye to him, she sighed and leaned her forehead to rest on his shoulder.

"Why Heero?" She asked, her voice muffled slightly against the sweatshirt. "Why is this happening to me again? Is there a reason why every rebel group in existence thinks that it would be a good idea to kidnap me?"

Heero allowed his one hand to drop back down to her waist and tightened his hold on her. He knew that he should've expected something like this sooner or later. Taking a deep breath, he answered her question with one of his own. "Do you want to know why every rebel group is after you, or just the one that kidnapped you this time?"

Coward! He shouted at himself mentally. He should just come out and tell her what he knew she wanted to know, instead of beating around the bush.

"Start with the one that got me this time. I'll think about the other ones later." Relena's voice interrupted his thoughts, and snapped him back to reality.

He took another breath, this one more slowly. He was still hesitant to tell her what they thought they knew. "Are you sure you want to know?"

There was a moment of silence before she began speaking. "It's not a matter of wanting to know, I need to know." Relena raised her head slightly to look at him. "I need to know why so many people feel that I'm such an easy target. It can't only be because I'm the Vice Foreign Minister, or because of the disarmament. There must be something else, some other reason that I just don't know about."

She stopped speaking and her gaze grew slightly curious and suspicious. "Do you really know why they targeted me this time, Heero?"

He swallowed. There was no way for him to get around her gaze. "I believe so."

Violet eyes flashed briefly. "Please tell me?"

Her voice struck a chord inside of him. Heero realized not for the first time how much Relena needed to know about this, and he instantly regretted not being able to tell her sooner.

He gave her one more squeeze around the waist before dropping his arms and taking her hand in his own. She tried to protest when he began leading her into her room, but when he turned to face her, the words she was about to speak died on her lips.

"It's cold, and I think you've been out here long enough." Heero turned again and resumed taking Relena with him back into her room. "We can continue the rest of this conversation inside."

He closed and locked the balcony doors after then and lead the young woman to sit down on her bed. Heero sat down beside her, and felt the soft mattress sink under his weight. Now that he was inside he has begun to think of the perfect way to phrase his bit of information. It wasn't an easy thing to do. It wasn't like he could just strait out tell her the reason for her kidnapping, he had to gently lead her into it. So after steeling his posture, and setting his jaw, he began his explanation.

Heero raised his eyes to watch Relena's expression as she listened to what he had to say.

"When I first heard that you had been kidnapped the first thing that came to my mind after I got over the shock was that it had been political. Of course, after listening to what the kidnappers made you tell us during your broadcast, Zecks' first suspicion turned out to be correct."

"And what was that?"

Heero was still fighting a battle within himself about how to go about answering this question. He didn't have any more excuses to stall with, and knew that stalling would only be putting off the inevitable, and hurting Relena. He had no desire to do either.

"It's because of me."