Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Fear of dying ❯ Conflict ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Required disclaimer: We do not and never will own Gundam Wing. We do not profit from the characters. If we wrote Gundam Wing it would be longer, more involved, and too soap opera-ish.

Author: Foxy Mcgee and Cltcmistress.

Warnings:Edward Scissorhands spoiler...? Some unrequited lovvveeeee

A/N:In case you were wondering why they are all together in one living space, it's because this is right before Christmas Secrets.


xoxo


Duo slowly made his way towards the living room eyeing Quatre cautiously. The blonde's back was to him as he watched t.v. and he didn't seem to notice the other pilot standing behind him, studying him. He only hesitated a moment longer before jumping the couch and landing right next to the blonde, making sure to keep a safe gap between them. "Whatcha watchin'?"

Quatre smiled as the braided pilot plopped in the seat next to him. He'd heard him come up, but chose to let him think he was sneaking up on him instead. "Edward Scissorhands. I've never seen it before. It's so sad..." He frowned as the main character thought back to the death of his 'creator/father.' "I can't imagine life like that. Not being able to touch someone for fear of hurting them." He sighed, keeping his eyes on the screen as his hand rested on the remote between them.

Duo froze at Quatre's words and he stared at the screen uncomfortably, he crossed his arms looking away. "Yeah, I guess that would suck..."

"Yeah." He glanced over at Duo. "You ok? Have you seen this movie before?" Something about the way the pilot was sitting with his arms wrapped around him made him look vulnerable: hurt, almost. He paused the movie and watched his friend's face.

"Once before. I'm fine." He looked back at Quatre with a smile on his face.

The blonde gave him a questioning look, but let the matter go. He pushed play and took a handful of popcorn from the bowl on the table. "I hope it has a happier ending than the way it's been so far." He munched on the popcorn and watched the screen again.

"Hm." After a bit Duo reach out to take popcorn from the bowl, the same time as the blonde was reaching out again and their hands brush as they both hit the bowl at the same time. Duo froze, face turning towards the blonde and found they were almost touching, he could feel the gentle breathing of the blonde on his face. He stayed frozen, eyes staring into Quatre's.

Quatre held still as his hand brushed with Duo's, his eyes locked on the violet ones in front of him. "Uh, sorry." Pulling his hand back he put the popcorn in his mouth, still watching the other pilot. He gave him a small smile and leaned back.

Duo also slowly leaned back, keeping his eye's on the blonde's as he did and quickly stuffed the popcorn into his mouth.

Quatre felt a small blush creep into his cheeks as he turned back to watch the movie. "So does it have a happy ending? Or should I wait and see?" He glanced sideways at the braided pilot.

Duo looked back at the screen distractedly. "You'll have to wait and see." He stuffed more popcorn in his mouth.

"Hm." He took another handful of popcorn and returned his attention to the movie. Duo was acting funny again. Why was he so jumpy and quiet all of a sudden? He glanced at the object of his pondering then to the movie and back. Something about that Edward character reminded him of the pilot. Like he was hiding behind some mask. Just minus the hands of scissors...

Quatre tried. He tried real hard. But it was just too sad! He fought back a sniffle as the snow started to fall. "After all that they don't end up together?" He sniffled and wiped his nose with the back of his hand. "Why didn't you warn me it was so sad?"

Duo casually wiped his eyes and smiled at the blonde. "You were already so far into the movie." He wiped a knuckle under Quatre's eye and brushed away a tear.

"You still could have warned me it would end like that." He turned to stare at Duo when the pilot's hand brushed his cheek. Using his other hand to brush the rest of the tears from his cheeks he gave a weak smile.

Duo let his hand linger on the soft cheek before pulling back slowly. "Naw, then you'd wouldn't have watched it, would you?" His voice was soft as he smiled at the other pilot.

The blonde felt his cheeks grow warm where Duo's fingers brushed his skin. "It was still a good movie. Even with the sad end it was worth it." He shrugged and sniffled again.

"You're a big softy, you know it?" He grinned and leaned forward reaching out for the popcorn bowl again.

"Yeah. Well, I can't help it. I care." He smirked. "Hey, I can get that. I was going to refill it anyways. 'Don Juan de Marco' is on next and I was going to watch it as well." Quatre reached for the bowl.

Duo's hand touched the bowl just as Quatre's again and he turned sharply and found himself nose to nose with the blonde. He pushed his lips against Quatre's, more aggressively than before.

Quatre turned to say something more when he suddenly found his lips captured by Duo's once more. What the hell was going on with the braided pilot? He told his mind to shut it and pressed his lips to Duo's, pressing for more from the kiss.

Duo ran a hand over Quatre's cheek and used it to pull the blonde closer to himself. Abruptly Duo flinched back away from the blonde and stood. "I have to go." He turned around before Quatre could say anything and fled the room, leaving a very startled Quatre behind him.


xoxo


Quatre huffed as he pushed away from his desk abruptly. No use even trying to concentrate on his work right now. He had to get this figured out before things continued the way they were. The blonde stopped outside Trowa's door and knocked. Maybe the tall pilot could give him some insight on what was going on.

"Door's open." The quiet voice answered.

He opened the door and poked his head in. "Hey, Trowa. Do you mind if I talk with you for a moment? I need some help."

Trowa sat his book down and pointed to a spot next to him on the bed.

Quatre closed the door behind him and took the offered seat. "Thanks." He stared at his hands for a minute as he worked out how to say what he wanted. "Have you noticed anything off about Duo lately? He just seems to be acting strange, and I don't know what to think about it."

Trowa gave the blond a knowing smile, crossing his arms. "Only around you."

His head snapped up and gave him a startled look. "Really? How so? What have you noticed?"

Trowa let a smile play on the corner of his lips. "He seems nervous. Like you." He tilted his head a bit, looking at the blonde with both eyes. "For the same reasons, too."

"You really think so?" Quatre raised an eyebrow and found himself holding his breath. Reminding himself to breathe he hoped his face wasn't as red as he thought it was. "I mean, well... Are you sure about that?" His face faltered as he thought of all the times the braided pilot had fled in a seeming panic.

"He cares about you Quatre, he just has demons to face." He watched the blonde's face. "He will come around."

"But he keeps running away. He's kissed me three times now and practically ran out of the room each time. I'm beginning to think he's doing it just to drive be nuts." Quatre let out an exasperated sigh that lifted his bangs from his forehead. "He's so skittish. Like he's afraid I'm going to bite him when he's not kissing me."

Trowa laughed and then shook his head. "Maybe you are, it's always the shy, gentle ones." He laughed again before looking back at Quatre. "Tell me how you could read Duo in the war so well and now you struggle? You of all people, an empath. You've been missing a lot lately."

He rolled his eyes as he shrugged. "I don't know. Maybe it's because he's so indecisive himself. One minute things are ok; then the next, he's fleeing the room in a panick. Really, Trowa. It's like he's going to tackle me and then suddenly he's afraid. I just don't know what to think of it." He stared at his lap, his face screwing up in a look of frustration. "It's just so confusing."

Trowa looked thoughtful for a moment. "Remember when you had to urge Duo to go after Hilde in the war? Then afterwards how much it effected him?"

"Yeah."

"Something scared him, Quatre." He turned and looked at the blonde. "He was afraid to go near her afterwards, like he's afraid to touch you."

"Hmm." Quatre thought about what Trowa said for a minute. Finally, he looked back up at the other pilot. "Do you think I should try talking to him about it?"

"I don't know. You can try, but he is defensive about himself."

He frowned again. "You're right. Maybe next time I'll ask him before he runs away again." A small grin spread across his face. "Or I could just give him the same surprise attack he's giving me and see what that does." He chuckled and shook his head. "No. I'll just talk with him or something. Thanks for listening Trowa."

The taller pilot smiled. "Any time, Quatre." He picked his book up and settled it on his lap, but kept his eyes on the blonde.

Quatre leaned over to give Trowa a hug. "You always listen so well and know just what to say to sort things out. Thank you." He smiled as he stood and made his way to the door. "I owe you one."

Trowa watched him walk to the door before he spoke, voice just above a whisper. "There's always me." He turned his eyes back to the book.

Quatre flashed him a big smile and opened the door. "Ok. I've got to get back to work. I'll keep what you said in mind. Thank you again!" He flitted from the room with a new bounce to his step, quietly closing the door behind him. Maybe that's all he needed to do, talk to Duo. Settling down at his desk he attempted to focus on his work once more. He hadn't noticed the sad green eyes that had watched him leave.


xoxo


Quatre took a deep breath before knocking on Duo's door. Things were just too strange. He had to know what was up with the braided pilot. When he heard nothing he knocked again. "Duo? Are you in there?"

Unfortunately, Duo wasn't in his room. If he had been, he would've tried to hide from Quatre. Instead he rested on his back on the roof just over his window. He'd climbed out to admire the moon and think. Mainly about the blonde pilot, though he wouldn't admit it.

"Duo?" He cracked open the door to look in. The room was dark and there was no sign of the braided pilot. His eyes stopped at the widow as the breeze lifted the curtains. "That explains why it's so cold in here..." He frowned. The window shouldn't be open considering the time of year and the snow on the ground. He crossed to the window and looked outside. "Duo? What are you doing out here!? Get back inside!" He spotted the pilot lying on his back just staring at the sky. "It's freezing out here!"

Duo tilted his head back enough to see Quatre in the window. "This is the best time of year for star gazing, Quat, the sky is clear." He pointed up with one hand, then placed it back under his head. "I'll come in when I get cold."

"How about before you get a cold?" He frowned and leaned out farther to glance at the sky. "They are beautiful this time of year. But you still should have at least a coat on."

"Probably." He agreed. "But I'm still going to lay out here."

Quatre frowned. Ducking back inside he took Duo's comforter off the bed and pushed it out the window. Slipping out after he carefully draped the blanket over the pilot. "At least cover with this." Once he was sure that the pilot was covered he sat next to him, close to the window. He sat next to his friend in silence, watching the sky and the way the light from the windows below played on the expanse of snow.

Duo glanced up at the silent form of Quatre before he sighed and lifted a corner of the comforter up. "Get under here before you catch a cold."

He suppressed a shudder. "Are you sure you want me that close?" Quatre glanced sideways at him before turning back to look at the stars.

Duo blinked before he sighed. "Just get under the covers, please. I'm not going to run away, I'd fall off the roof if I tried."

Quatre scooted over and wiggled his way underneath the cover of the comforter. "Thank you." Duo watched the stars for a minute before pulling the blonde to him and rested Quatre's head on his chest.

Quatre tensed when Duo pulled his head to him. After a moment he smiled and relaxed, listening to the beating of the braided boy's heart as it thumped in his chest. "Are you ok, Duo? Your heart is racing." He placed a hand on the chest as though he could will the beating to slow to a normal pace.

"Yeah." He whispered. Tensing a bit when Quatre touched him, but he didn't move, except for his eyes that found their way to the blonde.

Quatre tilted his head to look up and was met with a pair of violet eyes already looking at him. "Are you sure? Your heart is beating faster than a rabbit's." He chuckled. "I'm not going to bite you, you know."

Duo smiled a bit, then answered breathlessly. "Yeah? I almost wish you would..." He pulled his other hand from under the blanket and gently touched the side of the blonde's face with it.

Quatre stared at Duo for a minute before placing his hand over the other's. "Are you going to run away again if I do?"

"Yes." He looked back up to the sky, but left his hand in the blonde's.

"Why?"

"Because we can't do this." He looked back down.

"Watch the stars under the cover of your blanket on the roof?" He smirked and settled his head back on Duo's chest.

Duo gave him an odd look. "Just be quiet and let me hold you while I can."

Quatre sat up and frowned at Duo. "What's that supposed to mean?" While he can? Did he plan on going somewhere or something?

"Nothing." Duo glanced at him. "Just lay here, please."

"Only if you tell me why you're so skittish suddenly. Duo, you've kissed me three times and then practically ran from the room immediately after." Quatre looked down at him expectantly. "What am I supposed to think when you run away one minute then tell me to cuddle with you on the roof the next?"

"That I'm crazy and you should just lay with me." He sat up and pulled his braid onto his lap. "There are things I'll never have. Just let me have this, please."

"Duo, I don't do cryptic. I'm empathic, not psychic. All I get from you right now is confusion. Confusion and fear." He watched as Duo fiddled with his braid. "What is going on with you?"

"You." He glanced away. "Please don't ask me this. Please."

"Duo look at me."

Duo, despite his better judgement, turned and faced him again, still toying with the end of his braid.

"What are you running from? What are you so afraid of that you turn and run whenever you get close to someone?" He locked eyes with the pilot and waited.

"Death. Myself." He looked down at the end of his braid. "Yes, I will. Do."

"Do what? Run whenever someone gets too close to you?"

Duo sighed. "Can we drop this, please?"

"No." Quatre folded his arms across his chest. "This affects me, too. And I want to know what is going on. Why did you kiss me then run away? And it's not just because you like marshmallows or buttered popcorn. So don't give me that excuse."

Duo stared at Quatre for a long time, before sighing again. "Because. Death isn't choosy. Because you're a practicing muslim? Because God looks down on this? Because... because I don't deserve someone like you?" He turned his head away. "There are so many reasons, take your pick."

"I thought the only god you believed in was your God of Death. So don't hide behind religion's condemnation." He frowned as Duo turned away again.

"What about you? What about your religion?"

"That's for me to consider. Don't dodge. What is your real issue with this?"

"Seriously Quatre. Can you tell me that you can toss aside your religion? Can you so easy be with another guy, even if it's abomination in your religion?" He looked back at the blonde. "Could you really look past that, and be with someone like me?"

"This isn't about me, Duo. I'm the one who climbed your window to figure out where you went. I'm the one that actually returned the kisses you started. You are the one who was sitting on the roof in the cold alone. You are the one using religion to hide what's really got you bothered." He shifted and pushed the blanket off of him. "I'm not going to play that game, Duo."

"What if you die?"

He rolled his eyes. "Everyone dies. Eventually we all do." Quatre pushed himself up and looked back at the braided pilot. "You can't run from death forever."

Duo pushed up as well, keeping the blanket in one hand. "That's not what I mean, Quatre."

"Well you're not telling me what it is you do mean." He shivered against the cold and dropped his hands against his thighs. "I'm going inside." He stepped up to the window and slipped on a slick spot. "Ooof!" His knees hit the shingles hard as he slid down, his hand missing the edge of the window. "Ouch."

Duo flinched as Quatre fell, grabbing him by the arm as he squeezed his eyes closed. "That's what I mean."

Quatre pulled away and stood, brushing himself off. "I'm fine. Thank you." Making sure he had a hand on the side of the house he stepped around Duo. "Don't stay out here too long. You'll get sick." He turned away and made his way carefully toward his own window.

"Quatre, wait, please." Duo tossed the blanket at his open window before carefully following the blonde pilot.

"What?" He glanced over his shoulder and stopped before opening the window.

"Don't go, please?" Duo reach out and grabbed his wrist.

"I guess you're the one supposed to be running, aren't you?" Quatre flinched and immediately regretted the words as they left his mouth.

Duo's eyes widened and he flinched away from the blonde. "Forget it, I tried." He backed away from the blonde.

Quatre turned and faced his friend. "I'm sorry. That wasn't fair of me."

"No. Forget it, you're right. I'll just run away again." Duo turned away from him and sat on the roof. "It's what I do best. Go away Quatre."

"Duo, I'm sorry." He sighed and sat down next to the other pilot. "I just wish you would tell me what's really bothering you."

"Just get away from me before you get hurt."

Quatre studied him for a moment, then silently stood. "Too late," he muttered as he opened his window. Glancing back he looked at Duo, shook his head then slipped inside and shut the window behind him.