Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Going For Gold ❯ Chapter 21 ( Chapter 21 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G boys, I just borrow them from time to time and return them a whole lot happier. I do own the plot and any other characters, especially the equines, that you will find in this fic. Please do not take them without permission. Written for pleasure not profit.
 
Pairing: 2x1x2, 3x4, 13x6, H+C
 
Warnings: Yaoi, lemon, sap, angst, vet themes, AU
 
Rating: NC 17
 
Archive: www.gundam-wing-diaries.150m.com Anyone else please ask.
 
Betaed by Yami_tai & ginny *snugs*
 
Summary: Eighteen months have passed since Heero was advised he was short listed for the Olympic games team. With Zero going well and young Shinigami almost ready to make his showjumping debut, Heero looks set to reach his goal. Life though doesn't always play by the rules.
 
Dedication: To Leslie who gave me the original idea for Equinity.
 
Fic 3 in the Equine Intervention Arc.
 
"Going for Gold"
 
January. 2007 ShenLong
 
 
Chapter 21
 
Things were pretty hectic for Heero over the next few weeks. With Zero's leg beginning to heal well, the stallion was allowed to exercise a little more. Duo had deemed the fracture healed enough that Zero could come out of stable confinement, but shouldn't be allowed into the paddock just yet. Instead, Duo wanted Zero restricted to a yard, but as he didn't have a yard that meant they needed to build one.
 
Heero had purchased timber and nails and along with a post hole digger, then set to the task of building a yard inside the paddock closest to the stables. Duo had helped whenever he could, but it still took a good five days to finish it. Once it was done, they had a sturdy yard roughly twenty feet by thirty feet, enough for Zero to get a little exercise in, but not enough that he could hurt himself. Heero also had one blackened thumb and several splinters to go with his aching back; Duo had had the forethought to wear gloves and was smugly uninjured.
 
Zero had appreciated the yard though and that made Heero feel a whole lot better. Just being outside in the fresh air and sunshine was enough to make Zero happy. He could smell all the tantalizing scents in the air, hear all the noises but not being able to see what was going on from the confinement of his stable had driven Zero nuts. He was used to being ridden, spending time in the paddock, so to suddenly be inactive and have all the usual things taken from him was very frustrating. Zero wasn't a vicious or nasty horse, but lately he'd begun to show his displeasure at being kept cooped up by trying to push past Heero when his master came to feed him.
 
Heero was just as glad he could let Zero out for a bit each day.
 
The first time they had put the gray out had been amusing. Zero was still limping and slow to walk, but when Heero led him past the crush, their usual port of call, and continued on towards the sliding door, Zero had begun to shuffle faster. Heero actually had to speed up his own walk to keep up.
 
They had put him in the small yard and let him go, Heero on pins and needles and hoping his horse wouldn't do anything to set back his recovery. He needn't have worried. Zero wasn't silly and knew he was limited with his movement. The gray had taken his time to wander around the yard, sniffing the wooden posts, checking the haynet and water bucket that sat by the gate. There was a bit of grass in the yard, considering it was situated inside one of the paddocks and Zero settled down to graze a little. Given the placement of the yard he could easily see over the top rails to the other paddocks beyond and the three other horses that grazed within them.
 
Having a little more room to move, the fresh air around him and the visible company of the other horses all added up to Zero being a lot happier and more comfortable that he had been in days. Heero was pleased his stallion had settled so well.
 
Duo was over the moon. He knew that if his patient was happy then the chances and speed of recovery were greater.
 
Heero was also kept busy at Treize's. With the preparations for Treize's departure to the Olympics well underway, the tall rider had begun to sort out what he wanted Heero to do with the remaining horses in work whilst he was gone.
 
Altron of course was still under Heero's guidance, but Treize added a new horse to Heero's lot to replace Aries who had gone to his new owner. Virgo was a chestnut mare, five years old and stood seventeen hands high. She was the biggest horse Heero had ever ridden. She was sweet natured and willing to learn. Treize hoped she would make a decent A grade horse. So far she'd shown a lot of promise, but given her height and frame that went with it, she seemed to be all legs and nothing else. It was just a case of getting her to find her striding, teaching her how to use those long legs and there would be no stopping her.
 
Beside these two, Treize also wanted Heero to keep Romeo in work for him and continue with the basic flat work on a couple of the youngsters Treize had not long broken in. Heero would have his hands full with so many horses to keep fit and he still had Shinigami to work and the other three horses to look after at home.
 
Heero didn't mind though, his days would be full and pass quickly. Once they figured out a 'work roster' it all became a lot simpler.
 
Treize was busy booking his flight, checking the transport the E.F.A. had arranged with the airline and generally making sure all the paperwork was in order. He had his own passport checked and it was still current for travel. Joe was traveling with him and needed to get a passport so all the necessary paperwork was done for that and within a couple of weeks, Joe had his own passport.
 
Oakford had been contacted and Zechs booked to do the official paperwork for both Goose and Duck's passports. There was no question of Duck not going, if he didn't, Goose wouldn't jump. Noin had been appointed their official coach and she'd been the one to explain to the society about Goose's little quirk regarding the mini pony. The society hadn't been all that keen on Duck going along, but when Noin had explained further, Treize suspected threatened, the society agreed to the pony traveling as well; but it would be at Treize's expense and risk.
 
The insurance on Goose had been upped and a new policy taken out on Duck.
 
With all the paperwork done, the horses' passports obtained and booked on the flight to Hong Kong, there was nothing left to do but wait for the passage of time.
 
Treize began to task of slowly letting down those horses in work that he was planning on spelling whilst he was gone. Otto had been informed of the change in routine that would be in effect whilst Treize was away and agreed with the changes. It would make his job a little easier too. A couple of the other grooms and stable hands were given the chance to take their holidays as with only six horses stabled and in work, there wouldn't be a whole lot for them to do. Otto was planning on having a big clean out of the tack and feed rooms while Treize was away, they sorely needed it.
 
The disappointment Heero had felt with his not making the Olympic team had been softened a little by Treize's acceptation. Heero knew that Treize would be only too happy to share his experience with him when he returned and that Heero would reap the benefits from Treize's trip. It also made him even more determined to qualify with Shinigami.
 
* * *
 
The weeks did pass and soon enough it was time for Treize to pack up his gear and horses and head for Sydney airport. Heero would have loved to have gone along for the ride, but it just wasn't possible. There was far too much for him to do and the trip to Sydney would mean almost a day and a half away; he couldn't leave Duo to look after the horses and run his practice by himself, it wouldn't be fair.
 
Treize also knew there were a lot of people that wanted to wish him well and so he threw a small 'party' at his home for close friends the night before his departure. Heero, Duo, Hilde, Catherine, Trowa and Quatre were all invited and spent a lovely few hours with Treize and Zechs. They all offered their best wishes for the Games and a safe trip. Treize accepted the well wishes with his usual charm. When everyone finally left, Treize found himself standing on the door step with Zechs.
 
"It's cold," Zechs said softly. "Come inside."
 
Treize allowed himself to be led back indoors, Zechs taking him through to the lounge room and fire that was burning merrily in the grate. They sat together on the couch, both men staring into the flames and lost in their own thoughts. Zechs broke the silence.
 
"You know I'm really going to miss you."
 
"I'll miss you too, Zechs. It won't be for too long though and I'll be back before you know it."
 
Zechs snuggled against Treize's side, pleased when the older man's arm slid around his shoulder and pulled him closer. "I wish I could come too."
 
"I wish you could be there with me as well. I'd give anything to have you there." Treize let his chin rest atop of that golden head.
 
"You promise to call me when you arrive?"
 
"I'll call you from Sydney before we fly out and then I'll call you as soon as we land."
 
"You'd better. I'll be waiting."
 
"I know you will," Treize chuckled and then pressed a kiss to the top of Zechs' head. "God, I love you."
 
"Love you too," Zechs replied and managed to twist in Treize's embrace to face his lover. He gazed deep into Treize's eyes, noting the hunger and need before claiming his lover's mouth in a heated kiss.
 
Lips moved together, tongues quested forth and explored, teasing sensitive spots. When they broke apart, both men were panting. Words were no longer necessary, Zechs let his fingers do the talking for him and quickly undid Treize's shirt to reveal the man's golden chest and fine dusting of hair. He gazed at the expanse of skin for a moment then traced his fingers lightly over the warmth, feeling muscles shiver beneath his touch. Locating a caramel nipple, Zechs toyed with it for a moment, pleased when the nub peaked to hardness under his ministrations.
 
Groaning softly, Treize shifted a little, his pants becoming a touch uncomfortable as his lover tormented his body. Letting Zechs have his way for a few minutes, Treize finally succumbed to his own need to touch. His hands found the buttons on Zechs' shirt and quickly undid them. Calloused palms worked their way over the milky skin of Zechs' shoulders as they took the shirt with them.
 
Both men broke apart for a moment, breathing heavy and eyes glazed. Shirts were removed and another kiss shared. Hands began to roam, caressing, stroking and touching, somehow committing every small detail to memory to hold onto when they would be apart.
 
Unable to hold off much longer, Zechs removed Treize's trousers, the soft cotton whispering over the tall man's legs to be tossed to the floor. The briefs followed seconds later. Not wanting to be the only one naked, Treize set to work on Zechs' slacks and within seconds the vet's pants and underwear had joined Treize's on the floor. Deliciously naked, their bodies rubbed against each other as kisses were shared.
 
The excitement was mounting and Zechs needed more. Somehow he managed to get his lover lying on the couch and with an evil grin he attacked his lover's nipples with his tongue and teeth. The stimulation went straight to Treize's cock and he moaned his pleasure. Zechs wasn't done yet though. Pressing a kiss to one caramel nipple, he lifted himself up and turned around on the couch. His knees straddled Treize's shoulders as his own face hovered above Treize's groin and the offering there. Zechs licked his lips and lowered his mouth.
 
"Ahh..." Treize moaned and bucked as his lover began a series of teasing licks to the head of his penis. Above him, Zechs' cock hung, swollen and red with need, the heavy balls swinging right above his nose. Treize reached up and grasped the vet's hips, pulling Zechs down and burying his face in that musky scented groin. He nuzzled Zechs' balls then licked over them, delighted at the trembling he felt coming from his partner. His tongue went on a journey of discovery, licking over the heated length, nipping and sucking on Zechs' scrotum and even slipping his tongue over the sensitive perineum.
 
Writhing under the touch, Zechs tried to concentrate on pleasuring his partner just as much. He sucked the length into his mouth, flicking his tongue over the head and swirling around the crown. He stabbed at the small slit, suckling hungrily at the drops of precum that leaked out.
 
Treize dropped a hand to the floor and felt about, trying to locate his pants. He managed to find them and tugged them over. Working one handed he found the pocket and managed to pull the tube of lube from inside. He coated his fingers while his mouth continued to devour Zechs' cock, distracting his lover from what he was about to do. Fingers coated, Treize let them dance along the cleft of the vet's buttocks, carefully working his way between the cheeks to stroke over the sensitive entrance hidden there.
 
"More," Zechs begged as he released his lover's cock from within his mouth to speak. His body twitched and convulsed as Treize answered his demand by sinking a finger inside the heated passage. The finger stroked along inner walls, teasing with gentle touches, plunging in and then out. A second finger joined the first, anal muscles protesting then softening to the familiar touch.
 
By the time Treize deemed his lover ready for him, Zechs was a writhing mess on the couch. All coherent thought had been swept away, his body fairly humming with sensation and crying out with need. His cock leaked steadily, the vet's desire evident in the fluids that dripped from his cock onto Treize's waiting tongue.
 
"Please, take me," Zechs whimpered, unable to take the torment any longer.
 
"It will be my pleasure," Treize purred and then slid himself out from underneath his partner. He grabbed the lube again and proceeded to shift Zechs around on the couch, pulling the vet's hips to the side until his legs were on the floor, knees bent whilst his upper body remained pressed against the couch cushions. Treize coated his cock with the slippery gel and then positioned himself behind Zechs. He nudged his lover's legs apart, pulling those creamy hips back a little and spreading Zechs' cheeks. He lined the head of his cock up with the small entrance and then pressed forward.
 
"Yesss..." hissed Zechs as he felt the thick head push past the defensive ring and begin to penetrate his body. It took all his self control not to push back hard against Treize, opting to suffer the torment of his lover sliding slowly inside.
 
Taking his time, Treize continued in his quest forward, the lube easing his way into the tight passage. He didn't stop until he was fully seated within that warm sheath, his balls pressed tightly against Zechs' backside. Releasing Zechs' hips, Treize moved his hands upwards, stroking over creamy flanks and then circling around his lover's waist, his upper body pressing against Zechs' back.
 
They remained that way for a moment, Zechs adjusting to the penetration, Treize regaining control over his rebellious body that wanted nothing more than to pound hard and achieve release. A soft grunt and roll of Zechs' hips alerted Treize that his lover was ready for some action. Gently, Treize began his slide out of the heat and moistness. Those inner muscles did their level best to prevent the withdrawal, clamping down and gripping Treize's shaft tightly. Once he'd withdrawn a couple of inches, Treize gave in to the channel's persistence and plunged back in.
 
It took a moment or two for Treize to find his rhythm, but when he did he kept a steady cadence, rocking slowly back and forth, stroking that passage tenderly and finding the vet's prostate from time to time. Zechs demanded more, harder, faster, but Treize refused. He wanted to make slow, gentle love to his partner, wanted this to be something to savor, to think about whilst they were apart; something for them both to look forward to when he returned.
 
The firelight flickered over naked skin, the soft muted reds and oranges adding to the warmth of the moment. It couldn't last though and Treize felt himself rising higher on the wave to completion. He paused in his thrusting for a moment to slide his hands further under Zechs and then pull the vet backwards to pretty much sit in his lap. The new position gave Treize deeper penetration and also allowed him to reach Zechs' cock easily.
 
Slender fingers curled around the elegant shaft and began to pump in countenance to his thrusts. Above him, Zechs moaned and ground his hips down, seeking to draw as much of Treize into his body as he could. Golden hair fanned around them and Zechs leaned his head back onto Treize's shoulder, eyes closed as his orgasm rose to meet him.
 
The heat flared, flooding through his nervous system and lodging firmly in Zechs' groin. With a few more thrusts up into his lover's hand, Zechs felt his orgasm start to take him, sweeping everything from his mind. With a cry, his balls tightened and his passion spilt from the slit, dribbling over Treize's hand and trickling through his pubic hair.
 
Unbelievable heat surrounded Treize, muscles constricted around his shaft making it hard for him to continue to thrust. With a keening cry, he let his own climax take him, the heat of the moment scorching his nerves with the intensity. His cock pulsed and twitched, thick seed spurting forth into Zechs' body as Treize became lost to the euphoria.
 
Gradually the pair came back to earth, Treize nuzzling Zechs' shoulder as he gently withdrew and then moved, pulling his partner with him until they were both sitting on the floor, backs against the couch. Zechs snuggled closer, enjoying the intimacy of the afterglow, promising himself he would keep this moment locked away in his memory to bring out on the lonely nights that Treize would be gone.
 
The chill of the evening air finally made them move. Reluctantly they got to their feet, Treize holding onto Zechs' hand as he led them through to the ornate bathroom and turned on the shower. Once they had cleaned up, Treize collected their discarded clothes from the lounge room floor and brought them to the bedroom. Tossing them to a chair, he slipped under the covers to join his lover. Spooning behind, Zechs, Treize wrapped his arms around the vet, pleased when Zechs' hands covered his own. He nuzzled against the golden hair and pressed a kiss to the nape of Zechs' neck. "I love you," he whispered.
 
"Love you too," came Zechs' sleepy reply.
 
Safe and warm, they slid into dreamland together.
 
* * *
 
Having done his own stable work for the morning, Heero was reading the paper and sipping on his coffee when Duo came into the kitchen yawning and scratching his belly. "Any good news?" Duo asked as he made his way to the coffee pot to refill his mug.
 
"Not really," Heero replied absently. "Mostly the usual, sensationalized stuff."
 
"Wouldn't hurt them to print something in a positive vein every now and then," Duo muttered and concentrated on his coffee and trying to wake up.
 
"Hard case?" Heero asked as he lowered the paper and took in his boyfriend's sleepy state. Duo had been called out during the night and had been gone for a couple of hours. Heero was deeply asleep when Duo returned and the vet had managed to slip silently back to bed without waking his partner.
 
"Wasn't that bad," Duo replied and yawned again. "Dog having fits and convulsions."
 
"Ah.""Looks like a case of epilepsy to me. I did the usual process of elimination for poisons and such and gave him an injection to stop the fits. I'll need to do blood tests though to confirm the diagnosis. Owner is bringing him in this morning."
 
"Can you stop them?" Heero knew that it was possible to control epilepsy in humans with drugs, he wondered if the same went for animals.
 
"Yeah. If it is epilepsy, I can treat it with drugs."
 
"Good." Heero folded the paper up and tossed it to the side. "Ready for breakfast?"
 
"I think all I can manage right now is toast," Duo replied tiredly.
 
"Maybe you should grab a nap this afternoon," Heero stated as he popped the slices into the toaster and went to fetch the butter and preserves from the 'fridge.
 
"Depends on surgery, although the thought is tempting," Duo replied. He glanced at the clock. "I wonder how Treize is doing?"
 
Heero also looked at the time. "He should be well on his way to Sydney now," he murmured, unable to keep the longing from his voice. Instantly, warm arms were wrapping around him.
 
" The next Olympics will see you packing to go, Heero."
 
"How can you be so sure?" Heero questioned. He wanted to believe it, he really did, but one had to be practical about these things.
 
"I can't be sure, but I do know that Shini's got what it takes and you're a damn fine rider. You've proven yourself capable of qualifying already. Next time Shini will be more than ready and the pair of you will make it, I can just feel it."
 
Heero chuckled lightly and turned to brush his lips over Duo's. "Always the optimist."
 
"One of us has to be."
 
Another kiss was shared before the toast popped up and broke the moment.
 
* * *
 
Treize managed to drive the gooseneck float through the congested Sydney traffic and make his way slowly to the cargo terminal at the International part of Sydney airport. He pulled up in the large parking area and cut the engine. "I'll go into the terminal with all the paperwork, hopefully it shouldn't take long,” he told Otto who was riding shotgun, there to take the gooseneck home once Treize, Joe and the horses had been offloaded and boarded the plane.
 
"Right you are, boss. I'll check on Joe and the horses while you sort out the paperwork side." Otto undid his seat belt and opened the door.
 
Treize exited the float and headed for the main cargo terminal, paperwork in a small briefcase in his hand.
 
Joe was traveling in the back of the float, sitting in the small groom's compartment that allowed him visual access to the horses. He looked up when the small door opened and Otto stuck his head in.
 
"Everything okay, Joe?"
 
"Fine, boss. Horses have traveled well."
 
"Good. Boss man has gone to get all the paperwork sorted so all we can do is wait. Fancy a drink?"
 
"Wouldn't mind."
 
"Here." Otto passed Joe a can of cola.
 
"Thanks."
 
* * * Treize didn't have to wait long at the counter. Once the attendant read over the paperwork, he went to fetch the person dealing with the transport of the horses. Mr Dobson was a portly man with kind features and thinning hair. He looked over Treize's paperwork and then motioned for the man to take him out to the float and livestock.
 
"I'll need you to bring your float through to the back of the strip, Mr Kushrenada. The rest of the horses are there and just waiting for the final check over by the vets before we can begin loading. Customs and immigration will also be here shortly to go over the human part of the cargo," he said with a smile.
 
"Thank you." Treize climbed back into the float, Otto got back into the passenger seat.
 
"I'll go open the gates, just follow me." Mr Dobson walked off. Treize started up the gooseneck and began to crawl along behind the official.
 
They drove through the big, steel mesh gates and onto the tarmac. Dobson climbed into what looked like a golf buggy and puttered along ahead of Treize, the rider following behind cautiously. To their left were the terminal buildings, to the right the runways and loading areas. A couple of planes sat on the tarmac being loaded with crates, boxes and containers, up ahead, Treize could see the big animal transport plane awaiting them.
 
He continued to follow Dobson, eventually coming to a stop at the end of the terminal buildings and off to the side a bit. There were several other floats parked there and many people walking around, chatting or simply sitting in their vehicles.
 
Dobson approached and Treize cut the engine once more, hopping out to meet the man. "The officials will be here in the next half an hour, you need to have your paperwork all present and ready for the livestock. Vets will do a preliminary check, the livestock officials a further check and then we can commence loading. Customs and Immigration will also be along so you will need to have your own paperwork and luggage ready for inspection too. Once everything is cleared and the stock all loaded you will be able to board. Any questions?"
 
Treize shook his head.
 
"Good luck." Dobson shook Treize's hand and disappeared into a small office in the end terminal.
 
Joe and Otto joined Treize, wondering what they should do when Noin appeared beside them.
 
"Glad you made it okay, Treize," the woman said.
 
"Thank you. It's good to see you again, Miss Noin."
 
"Vets are on their way so we need you to get out and stack all the gear you're taking with you for the horses. Once that's done, I'd suggest you get your own stuff out as well and just put it by the front of your float. Leave the horses inside for now, the vets will ask you to bring them out once they're ready to check them over and verify the paperwork."
 
"Okay." Treize paused for a moment, eyes scanning over the small crowd of people and floats. "If you don't mind me asking, who else is in the team?"
 
Noin smiled. "This isn't just the showjumping team, the dressage competitors and the three day eventers are here too. Much easier to ship you all out together," replied Noin. "As for the jumping team, there's you, of course, then a couple of new faces; Michael Rundell and a chap called Phillip Martins. The other member is an old friend of yours, Zoe Harrison."
 
"Zoe! She made the team?"
 
"Yes, Treize, she did."
 
Treize's face lit up at the prospect of seeing his old friend again. "That's great!"
 
Noin's face looked sad for a moment and she stepped closer to Treize before speaking in a low tone. "It was such a shame that Heero's horse had that accident. Just between you and me, Treize, the selectors had already decided that Heero was in the team. I feel really awful for him, it must have hurt so much to know his hopes were crushed by such a freak thing."
 
Treize could tell the sentiment was genuine and he smiled at Noin. "I think he would be happy to know that, Noin. But, don't write Heero off, he's got a youngster coming along, Shinigami. He's C grade right now but he's only been jumping competitively for this season, however, he shows tons of promise. His sire is Zero and it's my honest opinion that this horse is going to be just as good, if not better than his sire was."
 
"Well, that is a bit of interesting news, Treize. I guess I'll have to keep my eye out for them then. Thank you for the information." Noin was certainly interested. She had a soft spot for the dark haired rider and had been so disappointed to hear of his horse's accident. Knowing he had another horse in his stable that was showing a lot of ability had her curiosity aroused.
 
The vets and officials chose that moment to arrive and Noin had to get back to the first rider of the showjumping team that was to go through the checks.
 
* * *
 
Joe and Otto had all the gear out of the gooseneck and arranged neatly on the ground. The officials came across and checked over everything, clearing it and certifying it safe for travel. One of the airline representatives came over on a small buggy similar to what Dobson had driven earlier, only this one had a trailer on the back with a steel container attached. All Treize's gear was placed inside the container and sealed up, the driver then taking it over to the big belly of the cargo plane and loading it aboard.
 
The vets slowly worked their way along the line of floats and horses, checking the paperwork, matching it against the respective animal and then giving a quick check to the horse in question. It didn't take too long for them to get to Goose and Duck.
 
Treize handed over the paperwork and stepped back. He watched in amusement as the one vet's eyes opened wide when he saw Short Duck.
 
"Surely you're not attempting to compete on that?" the vet chuckled.
 
"Ah, no. I think I would have a bit of a problem with the length of my legs if I tried to ride Duck," Treize quipped.
 
The vet shook his head and laughed. "What's the story then?"
 
Treize proceeded to let the vet know of Goose's strange attachment to the mini pony and hence the reason for Duck's accompanying them. The vet took it all in and laughed. "I guess I can see your point. No good getting all the way over there without the little fella and finding the big one won't jump because his security blanket isn't around. Funny creatures, horses. I thought I'd seen some weird things in my time, but this one rates with the best of them. Right, the paperwork all checks out so let's give these two the once over and get them on board."
 
The vet proceeded to do his check, Goose standing calmly and accepting it all in his stride. Duck was a little more excited and kept tugging at his lead rope, wanting to be free to roam around and check out all the strange and interesting things going on about him.
 
The vet worked quickly and within fifteen minutes, both horses had been checked over and declared fit to travel. The airport official signed off on the papers, stamped the horses' passports and then moved onto the next horse. The ground crew that was responsible for the loading of the horses came across and signaled for Treize to bring his horses over. Both Goose and Duck were led over to the waiting horse crates where Treize handed over the paperwork again.
 
Having checked both horses off the crew man proceeded to explain what he wanted the grooms to do. Each horse had been allocated a special traveling 'box'. They were sturdy contraptions, similar to a stable in appearance, but obviously without the roof and they were a bit smaller too. They were also on wheels. Made from re-enforced aluminum, they were lightweight but strong. The floor was thickly covered with straw and a small, plastic water container was affixed to the one side.
 
"Just lead them into there," the crew man said.
 
Duck baulked a little. He didn't want to go in there! The 'crate' that had been assigned to Duck wasn't as tall in the sides as the rest of the boxes, that way the mini pony could see over the top. Treize was thankful for that. Goose walked calmly into his 'box' and the back ramp was secured. Duck still dug his heels in and refused point blank to go inside his own box. After another half an hour of trying to persuade the mini pony to walk in, Treize finally snapped.
 
"Okay, Duck. Have it your way," he grunted and motioned to Otto, Joe and the crew guy. He quickly explained what he intended to do and the other three agreed with him, the crew guy chuckling madly.
 
"On the count of three," Treize said as they each positioned themselves, two on each side of the pony. "One, two, three..."
 
The four men reached out and before Duck knew what was happening, they had picked him up and were carrying him inside the 'box'. Duck gave a snort of disgust and tried to kick out. It was too late though. Duck was safely inside and the four men had exited, locking the back of the box behind the mini pony.
 
"Thank you," Treize said.
 
"No problem," the crew guy responded. "There's always something new in this job, that's why I like it so much."
 
With both horses now in place, the crew went to work. The boxes were pushed along the tarmac to the lowered ramp of the animal transport plane. Once there, they were locked into position on the ramp, a conveyor belt type system hooking to the underneath and pulling the boxes inside the plane's belly. Once they were up the ramp and on level ground again, the pulleys were released and the boxes rolled into position and locked together and to the floor of the plane. The interior of the plane had been gutted out and set up so that five of the 'boxes' ran from side to side, a walkway being left clear down each side of the plane, the boxes in the center and enough space between rows for people to pass through and check each horse individually. The plane could carry up to thirty of these 'boxes' comfortably. All the gear that accompanied the animals, along with the human cargo's luggage, was stowed further back in the rear of the plane.
 
The walkways ended at a partition at the fore part of the plane. There were two doors here that allowed a person to move through and into the passenger section of the plane.
 
With Customs and Immigration taken care of, Joe's and Treize's luggage was taken away and loaded. All that remained now was to board the aircraft. Otto bid them both farewell and good luck. Treize shook the groom's hand, knowing his horses and stables would be in good hands whilst he was gone. Joe went to say good bye to his head groom and receive some last minute advice on taking care of the horses. Whilst Joe and Otto were talking, Treize took the opportunity to call Zechs.
 
The call was kept short, mainly because they were being called to board as the last horse was loaded on. Promising his lover he would take care of himself, Treize exchanged a few more soft words before disconnecting. He waved Otto good bye and then turned to walk up the steps and into the plane.
 
They took their seats, the excitement of what was happening finally dawning on the two of them and Joe had trouble keeping still. His eyes roved everywhere, not wanting to miss a thing. Treize remained calm and leaned back into his seat.
 
The doors were closed, the small crew took their seats and the engines roared into life. The big plane began to taxi away from the cargo area and out onto the long runway. The tower gave the all clear, the plane's engines increased in their volume as the pilot built up the energy he would need for them to make a successful take off.
 
Finally, the big plane groaned, shook and then began to rumble down the runway, gathering speed as it went. In the cargo hold, the horses all swayed in unison, a couple pulled at their haynets, one or two dozed whilst a couple of others gave nervous whinnies. The animal crew that were traveling with the horses soon had the nerves soothed with a few calm words.
 
The roar of the aircraft engines built as the plane gathered speed, then, they were airborne.
 
~ * ~
 
tbc...
 
Many thanks to those of you out there who are reading this fic. To those who have taken the time to drop a review, I thank you for your comments, they mean a lot to me. ^_^