Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Going For Gold ❯ Chapter 42 ( Chapter 42 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G boys, I just borrow them from time to time and return them a whole lot happier. I do own the plot and any other characters, especially the equines, that you will find in this fic. Please do not take them without permission. Written for pleasure not profit.
 
Pairing: 2x1x2, 3x4, 13x6, H+C
 
Warnings: Yaoi, lemon, sap, angst, vet themes, AU
 
Rating: NC 17
 
Archive: www.gundam-wing-diaries.150m.com Anyone else please ask.
 
Betaed by Yami_tai *snugs*
 
Summary: Eighteen months have passed since Heero was advised he was short listed for the Olympic games team. With Zero going well and young Shinigami almost ready to make his showjumping debut, Heero looks set to reach his goal. Life though doesn't always play by the rules.
 
Dedication: To Leslie who gave me the original idea for Equinity.
 
Fic 3 in the Equine Intervention Arc.
 
"Going for Gold"
 
January. 2007 ShenLong
 
 
Chapter 42
 
Wing Zero proved to be quite the character. He had a natural curiosity for things that more often than not saw him getting into trouble of some sort. Angel was continuously calling for her foal as he was apt to wander off. After a few days of this behavior, Angel finally gave up trying to keep her baby beside her and let him wander at will.
 
Heero was entranced with the youngster and made sure to spend some time each day getting to know the foal and letting Wing become accustomed to a human presence. The more he could gain the trust of the colt, the easier things would be for both of them later on when it came to handling the foal, breaking him in and so on.
 
After spending a few days in the yard, Heero decided to put Angel back in the paddock with Scythe. The mare could do with some company and Heero didn't think Scythe would do anything to harm the foal.
 
He made sure to stay close and observe though.
 
Scythe was happy to have her paddock companion back, she'd been lonely without the company. Sure, Zero and Shinigami were only a paddock away, but mares are instinctively drawn together, something from their ancestors and herd instinct. When her master had led her out to her paddock and she'd spotted the other mare and the foal in there already, Scythe had let fly with a loud whinny of greeting. Angel had returned the greeting and walked over to the gate. Heero had released Scythe and shut the gate, checking the latch before standing back and watching.
 
Angel and Scythe rubbed noses, soft grunts coming from both mares as they reacquainted themselves. Wing watched his mother and the other horse from a short distance away, until his curiosity got the better of him. Cautiously he walked over, inching forward slowly to stand behind his mother and peek out around her tail at the new horse.
 
Scythe was entranced with the new addition. Remaining where she was, she simply stretched her neck out and wuffled softly through her nostrils at the foal. Angel simply stood and observed the goings on, knowing the older mare wouldn't harm her baby in any way. Wing ducked back a bit, then snuck around again. The other horse was still there and still watching him.
 
Slowly, Wing moved around his mother, his body tense and ready to run if the need arose. He extended his own neck out and met the other mare's muzzle, blowing slowly through his own nostrils. Scythe sniffed and gently rubbed her muzzle against the baby's, letting him know there was nothing to fear from her. She was delighted when the foal rubbed back, accepting her and willing to allow her snuffling over him.
 
Back at the gate, Heero heaved a sigh of relief. He was pleased that Scythe and the foal were getting along okay, not that he'd doubted Scythe, the mare was sweet natured and Heero had a feeling she would be an asset to Angel with the raising of her exuberant baby. In some ways Wing reminded Heero of Duo. Both were full of life, curious to the point of being a danger to themselves and both with a heart of gold. With thoughts of his lover on his mind, Heero went back to the house to check on breakfast before starting his day of work at Treize's.
 
* * *
 
A month later, Heero received a call he'd been expecting.
 
“Maxwell Veterinary Hospital.”“Heero?”
 
“Zoe? Is that you?”
 
Zoe laughed. “Yes, it's me. I have some news for you.”
 
Duo looked across from where he was putting his shoes on in readiness for going up to the surgery for morning consults. He quirked an eyebrow.
 
“News?” Heero echoed.
 
“Periwinkle foaled this morning.”
 
Even though he knew Periwinkle was due and had been waiting for the call, the news still had Heero feeling like he'd been hit over the head and his brain escaped him for a moment.
 
“Heero? You still there?”
 
“Sorry, just felt a little stunned for a moment. Is she okay? What's the foal? Everything go all right?” Once the shock had settled, Heero was as excited as the woman on the other end of the line and eager to find out all the details.
 
Hearing the words 'is she okay' and 'foal' in the same sentence, Duo had edged over to his partner and pressed his ear against the phone to listen in.
 
“Periwinkle is fine and absolutely besotted with the new baby. It's a filly, going to be a strawberry roan I think.”
 
“That's great news, Zoe,” Heero managed to get out.
 
“You and Duo will have to come out and have a look at her, she's so sweet, I'm sure you'll adore her.”
 
“We'd love to, Zoe. Hang on a tic and I'll see when Duo's free.” Heero covered the mouthpiece and turned to his partner.
 
Duo moved back just in time to avoid getting his nose hit with Heero's. He looked at his partner sheepishly. “Sorry.”
 
Shaking his head, Heero smiled in amusement and spoke. “Periwinkle foaled this morning, a filly. Zoe wants to know if and when we can take a ride out there and see them.”
 
Duo thought for a moment. “How about next Sunday? You're off from Treize's and Hilde's on call so that leaves me free.”
 
“Okay.” Heero uncovered the mouthpiece and spoke again. “Would next Sunday be okay?”
 
“That's fine. What time should I expect you both?”
 
“Probably around eleven-ish.” Heero did the mental calculations in his head on how long it would take them to drive to Zoe and Michael's place.
 
“Great! You can both stay for lunch too.”
 
“Look forward to it. Thanks, Zoe.”
 
“See you Sunday then. Bye.”
 
“Bye.” Heero replaced the handset and turned back to his partner. “We're invited for lunch as well.”
 
“Great!”
 
“I must admit, I'm quite curious to see this new place Michael has bought. The set up sounded really nice when he was talking about it a while ago.”
 
Both Heero and Duo were familiar with the description of Michael's new property, he'd described it and his plans in detail when he'd attended one of the shows with Zoe and proposed to her. Since then, Zoe had moved in with Michael and taken all her horses with her. She said it made more sense to move in now, even though they were only engaged and the wedding still eight months away.
 
Knowing Michael's plans for the place, Heero was keen to see it for himself and compare it to Treize's set up. He had no doubts it would be good.
 
“We need to take anything?” Duo asked, bringing Heero back from his mind wanderings.
 
“She didn't say.”
 
“Ah. Okay. I think I'll pick up a bottle of non alcoholic wine anyway,” replied Duo. “Right, I'd best be getting up to the surgery. I'll bet the hoards are beating frantically on the doors awaiting my expert services.”
 
“I'd best be getting over to Treize's. Too many horses to work and not enough hours in the day,” said Heero with a mock sigh.
 
“No rest for the wicked, is there?” Duo teased back.
 
“Nope. I guess we both must be very wicked then given our workloads,” Heero replied, falling into the teasing with ease.
 
“Very, very wicked,” Duo breathed as he wrapped his arms around Heero and nuzzled the soft skin of Heero's neck.
 
“Keep that up and I'll be having my wicked way with you,” Heero moaned.
 
“Promises, promises.”
 
“Ah, but I keep my promises, that's why I figure we're gonna be working our wicked butts off for years to come.”
 
“Mmmm, I like the sounds of the words, 'wicked butts and come'.” Duo nipped lightly at Heero's neck.
 
“If we don't stop now, we're both going to be late.” Heero managed to disentangle himself from Duo's arms, albeit reluctantly.
 
“You sure know how to spoil a guy's fun.”
 
Heero laughed and gave Duo's rear a playful swat. “We can continue later.”
 
“I'll hold you to that.”
 
With time running short, both men went their separate ways.
 
* * *
 
Sunday rolled around and Heero found himself delegated to navigator whilst Duo drove. With Michael's property being more or less half way between Zoe's former residence and the Maxwell Veterinary Practice, it only took two hours to get there. They managed to find the place easily enough, good signposting helped, plus Michael had a large sign attached to the wrought iron gates that marked the entrance to his property.
 
“Fenwick Stables,” Heero announced as they pulled up in front of the gates and he got out to open them. Once Duo had driven through, Heero shut the gates again and climbed back into the car.
 
“Nice set up so far,” Duo mused as he glanced out of the window from time to time.
 
The driveway curved towards the house ahead, white railing fences on either side of them separating the grounds into paddocks. A couple of the paddocks had horses grazing in them and the addition of many large trees lining the driveway added to the serene atmosphere.
 
The house appeared before them and Duo brought the car to a stop underneath a large, shady tree. Cutting the engine, Duo unbuckled his seatbelt and hopped out, Heero doing the same. They both stretched and turned as the sound of a door opening drew their attention.
 
Barking was heard and a hairy missile launched out of the front door and raced down the steps to greet them. Heero braced himself, unsure if the dog was friend or foe. Duo simply relaxed and waited. The missile, when it stopped before them, turned out to be a collie dog, tri colored and in beautiful condition.
 
“Hello there,” Duo said with his usual confidence in handling animals.
 
The dog waved his tail and licked at Duo's outstretched hand.
 
“Heero! Duo!” Zoe's voice traveled across and the woman herself right behind it. She grabbed Heero in a bear hug. “It's so good to see you both.” Letting Heero go, Zoe fixed her attention on Duo and gave the vet a big hug too.
 
“Good to see you too, Zoe,” Duo responded when Zoe released him. “Nice dog,” he added, gazing at the collie.
 
“That's Sampson,” Zoe said. “He's Michael's dog and a big softie.”
 
Heero ruffled the collie's ears and was rewarded with a tongue lolling grin from the dog.
 
“Hi, guys.”
 
Both Heero and Duo snapped their heads around as Michael came out and greeted them. Handshakes were exchanged along with the usual comments before Michael ushered them all inside to enjoy some refreshments and follow with a tour of the house.
 
The house was impressive. Not overly large, but with room to move. It had four bedrooms and two bathrooms, formal lounge, formal dining room, study, office, kitchen, laundry and a huge family room. It was in the family room they all gathered to partake of refreshments and catch up.
 
Once the four had exhausted themselves bringing each other up to date with their respective lives, Michael asked if they would like a tour of the rest of the property. Needless to say the visitors jumped at the chance.
 
Michael led them outside and towards the stable block. As they walked, Michael explained the layout of the place. The property itself was a rectangular shape, the driveway leading to the house was central and had paddocks on either side. The house stood central with the stables directly behind it. The paddocks continued down each boundary and behind the stables another three paddocks sat, two for schooling on the flat and the third held a course of jumps.
 
The stables were also rectangular in shape, a large, sliding door on one end, two rows of eight stables each down the sides and at the bottom end a tack room and feed room. In between the feed and tack rooms was another, smaller doorway that led out to the schooling paddocks behind.
 
“All the horses are currently out in the paddocks,” Michael explained. “Right now we have Crackerjack, a youngster I've just bought, and two other five year olds here for educating. There's Zoe's two of course; Lion and Periwinkle plus the foal, and then there's another three horses agisted. I have room for another five or six, but right now I'm pretty well flat out with what we do have so I'm not in any hurry to take on more work.” Michael gave a chuckle.
 
“Amen to that,” replied Heero. “Treize has a similar set up, but on a bigger scale. I'm currently working four of his horses, two are in show competition whilst Treize has another six in work himself. Then he has another four youngsters in the process of being broken in.”
 
“Must keep him really busy,” Zoe commented.
 
“It does, but he has good staff too and they are responsible for some of the work with the horses, other than the stable stuff.”
 
“How many do you have in work yourself, Heero?” Michael asked.
 
“Only Shinigami. Zero's retired to stud permanently, Scythe is also retired and Angel is the brood mare I purchased. Then there's Wing, but he's only a foal.”
 
“Speaking of foals, I guess you're dying to see the new addition?” Zoe chuckled. She could see that Heero was eager, but too polite to come right out and ask.
 
“We would love to,” Duo replied on Heero's behalf.
 
“This way then.” Zoe led them through the stable block and out the smaller door at the end. They strolled along the lane way between paddocks until Heero and Duo recognized the bay mare in one of them.
 
Zoe halted and leaned on the top rail, Heero and Duo beside her. The mare and her foal were too far away for Heero to be able to make out much, but Zoe soon rectified that problem. She gave a loud whistle. Instantly, the mare's head jerked up and she gazed across to where the group were standing. Moments later, Periwinkle was walking towards them, a long legged shadow at her side.
 
As the mare and her foal drew closer, Heero's eyes ran over the small form, cataloging the foal's attributes. Zoe opened the gate and clipped the lead rope to the mare's halter, feeding her some apple slices she'd brought with her.
 
“Come on in, guys, and take a good look. I'm interested to hear what you think of her,” Zoe said.
 
Heero stepped through, closely followed by Duo and Michael. Michael stood beside Zoe whilst the other two moved slightly to the side so as to see the filly a little better.
 
The foal was curious, but cautious. She stayed close to her mother's flank and peered at the two humans. Heero crouched down, Duo following his example so they were more on the foal's level and less of a threat. Sensing no danger from the pair, the filly took a couple of steps forward and stretched out her nose to sniff at Heero.
 
She blew softly through her nostrils, ruffling Heero's chocolate bangs causing Duo to snicker. Hearing the unusual sound, the filly turned her head in Duo's direction and sniffed at his hair. Captivated by the way the hair moved as she breathed on it, the filly began to nibble at Duo's bangs. Duo's eyes widened and he scooted back a bit.
 
“Sorry girl, the hair is strictly off limits,” Duo muttered softly so as not to startle the foal too much.
 
Heero was grinning from ear to ear as he watched his lover retreat.
 
Far from being startled, the filly became even more curious and began to sniff and nibble at Heero.
 
“She certainly shows no fear,” Duo murmured.
 
“No, she doesn't,” Zoe replied. “But then again, Periwinkle was the same as a youngster, always curious and getting into trouble for it.”
 
“Looks like history is about to repeat itself,” Michael said in an amused tone as he watched the filly checking all of Heero over.
 
Heero slowly stood up, his legs protesting the crouched position for so long. The filly backed up a couple of paces and then came forth again. Gently Heero reached a hand out and began to stroke softly over her neck, working towards her withers where he began to scratch. The filly stood stock still as a dreamy look came into her eyes, obviously enjoying the scratching.
 
“Well? What do you think, Heero?” Zoe asked when Heero finally finished scratching the foal.
 
Tilting his head slightly, Heero looked over the small form again. “She's got a lot of potential. Good hind end, nice shoulder and good depth of girth which means excellent lung capacity. She's also sweet natured and that goes a long way.”
 
“I think she's just gorgeous,” Duo put in with a grin.
 
Zoe smiled. “I happen to think so too, Duo.”
 
“Hopefully as she grows up she will retain all those good points, and if she does, I think she will be an excellent jumper for Zoe and a valuable brood mare later on.” Michael added his piece to the comments.
 
“With her breeding and parents' history, I can't see any reason why she shouldn't go on to be a future Olympic prospect,” Zoe stated.
 
“But Zero didn't make it to the Olympics,” Heero pointed out.
 
“Maybe he didn't, but he was shortlisted and I also happen to know if he hadn't injured himself then there was a ninety percent chance he would have been on the team,” Zoe enlightened Heero.
 
“No offense, buddy, but I'm glad it all went the way it did. If Zero hadn't hurt himself, then I wouldn't have been selected and met Zoe. I guess I owe you my thanks and gratitude, you did bring us together, even if you weren't aware of it,” Michael said quietly.
 
Heero could clearly see what Michael was trying to say and the words were completely sincere. He understood. “No offense taken,” he replied. “I suppose in the grand scheme of things, this was meant to happen. If it hadn't, then Zero would still be jumping, I wouldn't have bought Angel and none of us would have the foals we do now.”
 
“Everything has a purpose,” Duo said. “Even though it may not be clear to us at the time, everything happens for a reason.”
 
“Amen to that,” Zoe said.
 
Feeling the mood getting a little too somber, Duo decided to lighten it bit. “I know I'm just a poor country vet here and a little dense at times, but you said you think she's gonna be a strawberry roan? I'm not too familiar with that color, wanna fill me in?”
 
“Sure, Duo. It all comes back to basic genetics, but without going into all the intricacies of that, in brief it meant that with Zero being a gray and Periwinkle a light bay, the foal has a mixture of both colored hairs in her coat giving her a 'strawberry' color. Does that make sense?” Zoe asked. [1]
 
“Yeah, it does. Thanks.” Duo made a mental note to do a little refresh and research into color genetics of horses.
 
“Have you got a name for her yet?” Heero asked as he patted Periwinkle. The mare was lapping up all the attention.
 
“Have you named your colt yet?” Zoe countered.
 
“Yes, we've called him Wing Zero - after his parents,” Heero replied.
 
“Zero is his dad and Angel Wings his mother,” Duo enlightened them. “So, what's 'short stuff's' name?”
 
Zoe looked at Michael and Michael looked back with a smile. “Promise you won't laugh?” she asked.
 
“Of course,” Duo replied innocently, wondering what on earth they could have named the foal to cause Zoe to ask that.
 
“Strawberry Shortcake.” [2]
 
There was silence for a moment as the words sank in.
 
“Strawberry Shortcake?” Duo's voice was almost a whisper.
 
“Yes.” Zoe's voice was firm, daring Duo to make something of it, but the twinkle in her eye said she was just as amused.
 
“Ah. Appropriate name,” Duo responded. “Everything went okay with the birth?” he asked, changing the subject.
 
//Nice save there, Duo,// Heero thought to himself and simply listened in as Zoe related the details of Periwinkle's labor.
 
* * *
 
Heero had taken several photos of the mare and foal, he was planning on setting up a sort of photo album of Zero's offspring and their mothers, not just as a keepsake for himself, but it would also prove a useful tool in Zero's stud career. Now that the first crop of foals were on the ground so to speak, future breeders could take a look at the types of mares Zero had been bred to and the resulting foals from those crosses.
 
It would help them to get an idea of what type of foal they would get from crossing their mare with Zero.
 
During lunch they discussed the filly, Zoe's hopes for her future and their current aspirations. Zoe was hoping to be selected again for the Nations Cup team with Lion, and eventually the Olympics. Heero had relayed his hopes with young Shinigami, filling Zoe in on how the young stallion was coming along.
 
They discussed Wing and Heero's future hopes for him, Michael's plans for the future and the agistment / training center he was currently running. They discussed Duo's vet practice and some of the cases he'd dealt with, all of them ending up in fits of laughter as Duo recounted a particularly funny consult he'd done recently with a woman and her dog. It had ended with the dog hightailing it out of the surgery and dragging the woman with him. He hadn't seen either the woman or the patient since.
 
The conversation switched to Zoe's and Michael's forthcoming wedding. It was planned to take place in another eight months time, two months after the Nations Cup event. Both Heero and Duo were invited, the invitations would be going out closer to the date, but Zoe hadn't been able to contain her excitement and had given the guys a bit of a sneak peek into the arrangements so far.
 
Heero thought he'd better get his suit out of mothballs and see if it was still wearable; Duo wondered if he could get away with wearing slacks, shirt and tie. He no longer owned a suit.
 
Lunch had been lovely and around mid afternoon, the pair bid Zoe and Michael good-bye. They still had a long drive ahead of them and the horses to see to when they got back home. Hugs and handshakes were exchanged along with promises to keep in touch and the pair left.
 
* * *
 
The next couple of weeks flew by for both Heero and Duo. With it being the spring season, Duo's practice became even busier as many animals were giving birth. Salsbury was located in the country, which meant there were still quite a few farms around, not to mention the large number of equines. Hilde and Duo both had their fair share of call outs to animals that needed assistance giving birth. It wasn't unusual for Duo to be dragged from his bed at some ungodly hour of the morning to attend a calving, foaling or lambing. Duo and Hilde had struck up a sort of roster system that benefited them both. They took it in turns to be on call.
 
Hilde did Monday, Tuesday and Saturday night calls, Duo, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Sundays they switched between them, Hilde doing the one week and Duo the next. They
also agreed that whomever was on call the previous night would do the evening consults the following day, that way they would manage to catch a little sleep if they'd been busy the night before. So far it worked well for both of them.
 
The rest of the mares that had been served by Zero had either foaled or were due at any time. The woman at the pony club who had put two mares to Zero had called with the news that both mares had foaled within two days of each other. One had been a gray filly, the other a black colt. Heero had paid a visit and taken further pictures to add to his collection. Both foals were nice and showed promise in their conformation; but Heero didn't think either one was as good as Wing or Shortcake.
 
By the end of the month the remaining three mares had foaled, resulting in a gray colt and two chestnut fillies. Heero was pleased with Zero's success in his first breeding season and was planning on standing him at stud again the following year. Most breeders stood their stallions at stud every season, but Zero wasn't just any horse; not to Heero anyway and whilst Zero's leg was holding up perfectly fine, Heero didn't want to risk anything happening to his beloved horse.
 
When Heero had approached Duo with his idea of only having Zero stand at stud every second year, Duo agreed. The stress and strain to the foreleg was quite a lot when serving mares and Duo couldn't see why Zero should be available every breeding season. Every two years seemed a good proposition.
 
The news of Zero's first crop of foals spread through the equine world and there was a lot of interest shown in his offspring; not to mention Zero's stud fee. Heero took a lot of calls from people wanting to breed with Zero and he was glad he'd talked to Duo and made his decision to keep Zero for every second breeding season and limit the number of mares he took.
 
Some people were disappointed, but Heero assured them that Zero would be available the following year and if they were still interested to watch for his advert in the 'Hoofbeats' magazine and make their booking early.
 
It was inevitable that Relena would learn of Wing's arrival and sure enough, Heero received a visit from the woman one day whilst working at Treize's. He'd just finished working Virgo and was bringing the mare back into the stable block, discussing the shows Treize wanted Heero to ride the mare at when they spotted the woman's car and then the woman herself chatting with Otto in the stable courtyard.
 
“Hello, Relena,” Treize greeted with his usual charm. “To what do we owe this visit?”
 
“Hello, Treize. Actually, it was Heero I was hoping to have a word with,” Relena replied as she looked at the younger rider.
 
Heero did his best not to cringe and reminded himself that Relena had learnt some hard lessons and was doing her best to change. Also, she'd helped him with the paperwork and legal side of getting Zero set up to stand at stud so in one way he at least owed her some politeness. Deciding not to be a coward, Heero stuck his head around Virgo's chest. “What can I do for you, Relena?”
 
“Ah, Heero.” Relena moved a little closer. “I'd heard that Angel Wings had foaled.”
 
Otto came over and took the mare from Heero. “I'll finish her for you,” Otto said and began to remove the mare's saddle leaving Heero free to talk.
 
“Why don't you take Relena through to the lunch room and make a coffee, Heero. I'll join you both shortly, if that's okay?” Treize said.
 
“I'd love a coffee. Thank you. Oh, I do need to speak with you too, Treize, so as long as Heero doesn't mind, it's fine with me for you to join us when you're ready.”
 
“Fine with me,” Heero said, glad that his boss would be there soon, not that he thought Relena would try anything; but once bitten, twice shy as the saying went and Heero had no wish to deal with the Relena he knew from the past. He led the woman through to the lunch room and put the kettle on to boil. “Tea or coffee?” he asked.
 
“Coffee's fine,” Relena replied.
 
Heero busied himself making the drinks, setting one to the side for Treize when he joined them and then seating himself across from Relena at the small table. He passed her mug over then took a sip of his own.
 
Having taken a sip of her own beverage, Relena cleared her throat and began to speak. “I'd heard through the grapevine that Angel had foaled, a colt I believe?”
 
“Hai. That's correct.”“Without being too forward, would you mind telling me a little about him? I'm curious to know what Peacemillion's offspring are throwing, you know, quality, type and so on.”
 
Heero could see Relena's logic behind the question. If Peacemillion's sons and daughters were producing good, top quality stock, then it would push up not only Peacemillion's stud fees, but also the price of his stock. People would be coming from all over to purchase from Relena's stud. “He's going to be a very nice horse as he grows up, or at least he has the conformation for it. The cross between Zero and Angel went very well.” Heero gave a frustrated sigh. “I'm sorry, I'm not doing a good job of describing him to you, I'm afraid I'm not that good with words.”
 
“That's okay,” Relena smiled.
 
Feeling a little generous, Heero continued. “Why don't you come out and have a look at him yourself, then you can see first hand what he looks like and judge for yourself?”
 
Relena's eyes widened. “You'd invite me to see him?”
 
“Of course.” Staring at his fingernails for a moment, Heero ordered his thoughts. “Look Relena, I know we've had our differences in the past, but I think we'd both agree that's the best place for them; the past. A lot of water has passed under the bridge since then and I don't like to hold grudges. You've grown up a lot since then, we both have, and your agreeing to sell me Angel showed me just how much you've grown. It was also decent of you to help me out with the paperwork side of things for standing Zero at stud. I'm very grateful to you for all your help with that. I think that seeing the resulting foal is a small favor to grant compared with the assistance you've given me.”
 
Relena's cheeks colored a little at the long speech and for a moment she was lost for words. Then her brain kick started again and she raised her blue eyes to meet Heero's. “Thank you,” she said in all sincerity. “I'd really like to see him; and Angel too.” A small frown suddenly creased her brow. “Are you sure Doctor Maxwell won't object?”
 
“Duo won't mind at all,” Heero replied and made a mental note to have a talk to his partner before Relena showed up. Maybe a bit of groveling and pampering of his boyfriend wouldn't go astray either.
 
Fishing in her purse, Relena pulled out her business card and handed it to Heero. “That's my private number. Give me a call and let me know when it would be convenient to call around and I'll be there.”
 
Heero took the card, glanced at it and then pulled his wallet from his pocket, popping the card inside. “I'll talk to Duo tonight and give you a call later this evening to set up a day and time. Is that okay?”
 
“That would be wonderful. Thank you again.”
 
“My pleasure,” Heero replied.
 
Treize entered the small lunch room and the conversation changed again. Heero finished his coffee and excused himself to continue working the horses, leaving the pair to talk business. Saddling up Altron, his mind ran in circles, figuring out the best way to break the news to Duo that Relena would be coming for a visit.
 
~ * ~
 
tbc...
 
[1] For more information on the different horse colors you can find them all here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equine_coat_color
 
 
[2] Strawberry Shortcake: I was trying to come up with a name for the filly and not having much luck. My daughter asked me what I was puzzling over, so I told her. She immediately said 'Strawberry Shortcake', so blame her, not me. *grin*