Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Going For Gold ❯ Chapter 61 ( Chapter 61 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

“Going for Gold”
 
January 2007 ShenLong
 
Chapter 61
 
The alarm woke Heero and he yawned widely before reaching over to switch it off. Duo cuddled a little closer to him and Heero smiled as the vet wrapped his arms more securely around Heero's torso, clearly showing his reluctance to move from the bed - or have his huggy toy taken from him.
 
“Duo? I have to get up,” Heero cajoled and tried to move, only to have those arms stubbornly tighten further.
 
“Five more minutes,' came the muffled reply.
 
Chuckling, Heero returned the embrace. “Okay, five minutes.”
 
* * *
 
“Good timing,” Duo said as Heero entered the kitchen. “Breakfast is ready.”
 
“Thanks.” Heero took a moment to fill them both a glass of orange juice and then sat down at the kitchen table. Duo placed a plate in front of him and Heero felt his mouth water. Omelet, or more specifically a ham, cheese and tomato omelet.
 
“Horses all done?” inquired Duo as he sprinkled a little salt over his omelet.
 
“All out, fed and stables cleaned. All except Shini that is. He's still in and eating,” Heero replied around a mouthful of his breakfast.
 
“Need a hand to put the float on after?”
 
“Please.”
 
“No worries.”
 
The pair ate the rest of their breakfast in peaceful silence, Heero running a mental list of things he had packed in the car and ticking them off, Duo was thinking about the day ahead and hoping with all his heart that Heero and Shini would make a good showing.
 
It would be the first of the several, big qualifying shows and the selectors would be out and taking notes. With there being ten shows in total that the selectors would attend, Duo knew it was vitally important that Shinigami and Heero do exceptionally well at all of these. Well, they had to be consistent through all of the shows, but these ones even more so.
 
“All finished?” Duo asked and reached for Heero's plate as the rider nodded. “I'll wash these up and then meet you out at the stables to give you a hand with the float.”
 
“Thanks. I'll see you shortly. Just need to get my jacket and boots.” Heero stood up and took his empty glass to the sink where Duo was running the hot water. He placed his glass to the side and wound his arms around his lover, kissing the nape of Duo's neck. “I love you,” he murmured softly.
 
“Love you too,” came the husky reply and Duo turned in his lover's arms to partake of a proper kiss. “Better take what I can now as I'm not going to get a chance later at the show,” he whispered hungrily.
 
“I'm sure I'll be able to find somewhere to let you know how much you mean to me without anyone seeing us,” Heero returned.
 
“If we keep disappearing into the toilet blocks, people will start to talk,” Duo chuckled in amusement.
 
“I don't care,” came the muffled reply. Heero was busy nibbling along Duo's earlobe.
 
“To be honest, neither do I.”
 
* * *
 
“I see Treize's gooseneck over there,” Duo announced as they drove slowly across the grass towards where the float parking area was.
 
Heero glanced in the direction Duo was pointing and spotted the large transport Treize used. Carefully, he maneuvered the car and float over and parked alongside. Cutting the engine, both men got out. Treize appeared from inside the small, grooms compartment when he heard the car and waved.
 
“Good to see you, Heero,” he greeted. “And you too, Duo.”
 
Heero nodded to his employer and friend then made his way to the back of the horse float.
 
“Nice to see you again too, Treize. How is Romefeller?” Duo replied.
 
“Going very well, thanks,” Treize replied.
 
Duo went to help Heero with the tail gate, lowering it and then waiting to undo the tail chain when Heero gave the signal that he was ready.
 
Shinigami came down the ramp, ears cocked and nostrils flaring. His head was up as he scented the air and danced on his neat little hooves.
 
“Settle down you big lump,” Heero chastised gently.
 
The stallion listened to his master, but continued to gaze around. He never knew if he would spot a pretty filly or two and knowing he was handsome, he liked to show off.
 
With Shini tied to the float, Duo went in search of water whilst Heero removed the floating boots and chatted briefly with Treize. The other rider had only arrived himself about five minutes before Heero. Romeo was tied to the side of the gooseneck along with one of the promising youngsters Treize was working with that he'd entered in the D grade event. Virgo was also there as Treize had entered her in the B grade championship with Heero riding her. A client was coming to the show to watch the mare perform and if all went well then the chances were, Virgo would be sold.
 
Heero would be sad to see the mare go, she was a sweet thing and he'd had a lot of fun educating her, but it was time for her to move on with another rider and Heero had two other youngsters besides Altron that he still had to work, not to mention Shini and then there was Wing who was needing more ground work.
 
Duo returned with the water and stripped the rug from Shini to give the animal a quick brush over. Joe, Treize's reliable young groom, was similarly brushing down the other three horses for Treize.
 
Once Shini was deemed 'clean', Duo packed away the grooming kit and hung up the horse's haynet. Treize and Heero had been discussing the possible sale of Virgo when the public address system announced that the first event - the D grade - would be starting in half an hour's time and that the course was open for walking. Leaving Joe to keep an eye on all the horses, Treize, Heero and Duo all set off for the secretary's table to collect their numbers and walk the course.
 
Whilst Heero walked the course with Treize, Duo remained by the notice board outside the brick building where the secretary and show committee were based. He scanned over the board until he found Heero's classes and noted the draw. In the B grade championship, Heero was jumping fourth out of ten. In the Open A grade, Heero had drawn seventh and Treize ninth with there being twelve entries in total.
 
Treize and Heero returned, Duo letting his lover know the draw for his events. Treize checked the draw for the D grade - he was jumping last out of eight. That suited Treize just fine. The course was a nice one, generous with the amount of room between fences and encouraging in its layout. Treize was hoping that Scorpio would finish the course with four faults or less; if he did, then Treize would be really pleased.
 
Heading back to the float, Heero glanced at the toilet block and then caught Duo watching him out the corner of his eye. He gave a smirk and bumped shoulders with the vet. Duo had seen the glance and felt the bump against his shoulder. He blushed.
 
Treize wasted no time in getting Scorpio saddled and warmed up. The big bay gelding was showing signs of becoming a good jumper and today would be the real test, to see how he handled the pressures of the show ring.
 
Whilst Treize warmed up, Heero and Duo took a walk around the grounds, watched a couple of hacking events and then made their way to the jumping ring to watch Treize.
 
Scorpio went well, doing everything that Treize asked of him and clearing all the jumps. They went in last for the jump off, four others having made it through as well. With Treize being the last to go, he had the advantage of knowing what he had to beat. Out of the other four riders, two had gone clear, one had eight faults and the other twelve.
 
Treize decided against pushing the youngster, he still had a lot to learn and there wasn't any point in asking more of the horse than he was capable of giving and ending up ruining a good animal for the sake of a first place ribbon. Taking it easy, Treize aimed for going clear and not worrying about the time.
 
The bay responded well, clearing all the jumps again but in a slow time which placed him third. Treize was suitably pleased, Joe ecstatic and Heero thought that it was a good omen to the rest of the day.
 
The C grade event came next which gave Heero enough time to work Virgo around. The mare was calm and responsive to Heero, eager to please and willing to listen to her rider. Heero popped her over a couple of practice jumps and praised the mare when she cleared them with ease. Duo watched, proud of his lover as he rode the big mare forward. He could see she was well trained and that was a credit to Heero and his patience. Whilst she was a good jumper, Duo noted she lacked the spark and enthusiasm that Shinigami had when he jumped.
 
The course was changed and then the competitors called to walk it. Joe and Duo waited in the collecting ring with Virgo whilst Heero and Treize walked the course together. Once more it was a simple, encouraging course and Heero liked it. It was right up Virgo's alley and Heero was confident that the mare should finish in the top three.
 
The gentleman interested in purchasing Virgo had arrived and Treize stood to one side with him discussing the mare while Heero mounted up and began to walk her around, keeping her from getting 'cold'.
 
The first three riders went through, one going clear and the other two having four faults each; then it was Heero's turn. Duo felt the familiar flow of adrenaline through his veins as he watched in anticipation.
 
Heero started steadily and gradually built his speed as they cleared fence after fence. Virgo was jumping well, her ears pricked, listening to her rider's signals and changing her gait, shortening or lengthening her stride as asked.
 
They cleared the last jump and came out of the ring to applause and the announcement of a clear round.
 
Patting the mare, Heero rode out of the ring to be welcomed by congratulations from Duo, Treize and Simon Winters who was the person interested in purchasing the mare. Whilst they stood around and waited for the remaining competitors to complete their rounds, Joe took Virgo and walked her around, leaving the other four men to discuss the mare and Heero's experiences with her.
 
Once all ten riders had completed the course there were four clears in total, Heero's being the second one and therefore he was second to go in the jump off. Duo waited with Joe and Virgo whilst Treize, Heero and Simon walked the jump off course. Simon was interested to see what Heero planned on doing, how he would 'attack' the jump off and learn a little more about the mare's capabilities.
 
Returning from walking the course, Treize and Simon continued to talk, Heero took Virgo from Joe and mounted again, Duo standing beside him. Heero loosened up the mare a little then stood quietly to the side as the first rider went in to try their luck.
 
“What are you planning to do?” Duo asked, giving Heero a warm smile.
 
Looking back down at his lover, Heero returned the smile and then replied. “I'm going to take it steady. Virgo has a long stride on her so she will make good time between the fences. There's a couple where I can shave a few seconds off if I get her lined up correctly for the fence.”
 
“Good luck then,” Duo said and gave Heero's calf a squeeze.
 
The first rider came out with four faults. Echoes of 'good luck' followed Heero as he rode into the ring.
 
Virgo jumped beautifully, she lengthened her stride between the jumps, coming back to hand swiftly and re balancing in time for the next fence. Heero managed to slightly angle a couple of the jumps and by doing so, brought the mare into the next obstacle on the perfect stride.
 
They went clear again in a time of 35:32 seconds.
 
Riding back out, Heero was immediately surrounded by his companions and congratulated on another, great round. Being the modest person he was, Heero simply shrugged the praise off, stating it was Virgo who had done all the hard work.
 
The remaining two competitors rode their course, the third one having a rail down and the fourth going clear. All stood and waited with baited breath for the time to be announced, they couldn't see the electronic timer from where they were currently standing in the collecting ring.
 
“Clear round in a time of 34:54 seconds.”
 
Despite his not having won, Heero was still elated that Virgo had come second and had only been beaten by roughly half a second. Treize was full of praise for both horse and rider, Simon was especially pleased and impressed with the mare and immediately went into discussions with Treize regarding price.
 
By the time Heero came back out of the ring with his red rosette, Virgo had been sold.
 
* * *
 
“Calling all competitors for the Open A grade. The course is now open for walking,” came the announcement.
 
“That's your class, Heero,” Duo remarked and quickly finished eating the sandwich he'd bought from the canteen. He tossed the wrapper into the bin, swallowed the last of his soda and tossed that into the trash too before wiping his hands on his jeans.
 
Heero similarly finished off his sandwich and soda, dumping the rubbish in the bin and starting back towards the float to fetch his whip and helmet. It was the rules of competition that when walking a course, the rider had to have all gear with him that he intended to use when riding the course. If you planned on using a whip, you had to have it with you whilst walking the course - failure to comply could result in elimination.
 
With his helmet and whip in hand, Heero joined Duo and the pair walked towards the ring where Treize was waiting for them. They stepped into the ring and Treize scanned around for the start flags. Locating them, the trio moved off to start their walk.
 
As they proceeded around the brightly colored jumps, Duo felt his stomach twisting. To him, it appeared to be quite a difficult course. The jumps were all set between four feet six inches and five foot, the spreads on some were anything up to five foot six. All Duo could think was how glad he was that it was Heero jumping and not him!
 
Exiting the ring, Duo couldn't hold his questions any longer. He'd remained silent whilst walking the course, leaving Heero and Treize to concentrate and discuss their options without any distraction from him. “In all honesty, what do you both think about the course and your chances? I have to admit, it looks pretty difficult to me.”
 
“It's certainly not an easy course by any means, but you wouldn't expect one at this level and with the selectors here as well,” Treize replied.
 
“It's really going to test both horse and rider,” Heero mused. “The first round isn't too bad providing you keep your horse going forward and he remains balanced. It's the jump off that will sort the men from the boys.”
 
“Ah, okay then, I'll take your word for it,” Duo said with an amused grin.
 
“Come on, I want to get Shini saddled up and warm him up with plenty of time.”
 
“Right with you, Heero.”
 
* * *
 
Patting the steel gray neck before him, Heero praised the young stallion. “That was good, Shini,” he said as he brought the horse to a halt by the tree where Duo was waiting with a big smile on his face. Immediately they stopped, Duo was feeding the stallion carrots and petting him enthusiastically.
 
“Good boy, Shini. Now all you need to do is jump like that in the ring and really impress those selectors,” Duo said as he fed another carrot to the eager horse.
 
Heero dismounted and ran his stirrups up for the moment. “I think we should head over to the ring and see how far along they are,” he stated.
 
“Good idea. They did only call the class about five minutes ago so I'm betting there's probably only been a couple of riders go through.”
 
On their way to the ring they spotted Treize who was just finishing up with his warm up. They joined up and walked to the collecting ring together.
 
“How is Romeo going?” Duo asked politely.
 
“He's traveling well,” Treize replied. “What about Shini?”
 
“Fighting fit and raring to go,” Heero muttered. The young gray had been eager to tackle the practice jumps and Heero found himself with his hands full in keeping Shini balanced and under control.
 
“I see the second rider is in,” Duo announced as he changed the subject slightly.
 
“How did the first one go?” Treize asked.
 
“No idea, we were warming Shini up,” Heero replied as they found themselves a spot by the ring roped inside of the collecting ring to watch their rivals.
 
Joe materialized and took Romeo's reins, leaving Treize free to watch. “First rider had eight faults,” he stated.
 
“Ah.” Heero was about to say more when the sound of crashing poles reached their ears. Immediately all attention was focused on the ring and the competitor currently in there.
 
The second rider exited the ring with a score of four penalties, her horse looking a little put out and the rider not much happier.
 
The following three riders came out with eight faults, a clear and two faults respectively. The sixth rider entered and Heero mounted up to walk Shini around as he was the next rider to go.
 
Duo nervously kept one eye on the ring and one on Heero. The current rider wasn't having much luck, his horse didn't seem to be traveling well at all, its ears were back and its tail continuously swishing. To Duo's experienced, veterinary eye, the horse looked like it had either a muscular or skeletal problem.
 
“I'd say it's back is out,” Treize commented from where he stood beside Duo watching the rider and horse.
 
“I'd have to agree with you there,” Duo replied. “I don't think he's going to have much luck.”
 
Duo's words were proven true when the horse knocked the rails down on jump four and then proceeded to refuse point blank to jump jump five. The commentator announced the current competitor was eliminated and then went on to announce Heero as the next rider. Moving quickly to Heero's side, Duo wished his partner good luck and gave Shini a pat and promise of more carrots if he went well and looked after Heero for him.
 
The gray wuffled, not understanding anything of the words other than the sound of 'carrots'.
 
His face set into one of determination, Heero gathered up his reins and rode into the ring. Shinigami felt calm and responsive beneath him, once more reminding Heero of how similar the youngster was to his sire. He saluted the judge, picked up his reins and touched Shini lightly with his legs, the gray responding immediately and moving off towards the start with his ears pricked.
 
The bell rang and Heero had no thought for anything other than the course ahead.
 
Jumps one and two were cleared, Shini taking them in his stride; a right turn and the were approaching the double. Shini gathered himself together, pushed his hind quarters underneath and soared into the air, sailing over part A and landing safely. Heero was there with his seat and leg, driving the gray together for the two strides before they were airborne again and flying over part B.
 
“He's doing well so far,” Treize murmured.
 
“I agree, but let's not say anymore in case we jinx him,” Duo returned with a nervous voice.
 
Treize chuckled and patted the vet on the shoulder. “He's going to do just fine. Shini's really improved and Heero has that something extra.”
 
“Oh?” Duo quirked an eyebrow. He knew the young stallion was jumping a lot better, the experience he'd gained over the past two seasons was starting to show through and Shinigami was coming into his own as a top jumper; but Heero? Duo had always known Hero was special, that the rider held a rapport with his horses unlike any Duo had ever seen before.
 
“Yes, Heero really wants this. He's come so close with Zero only to have it taken from him through no fault of his own and that has given him the extra drive, dedication and devotion to make sure he succeeds this time. Between you, me and the gate post, I believe he will make the team this time,” Treize confided in the vet.
 
Duo gave a warm smile. Whilst he already knew Heero was special, it didn't hurt to have someone else confirm it; and coming from Treize who was a top rider himself, Duo knew it must be true. Treize wasn't one to give out praise lightly - you had to earn it with him.
 
Heero and Shini were on line for jump six, clear so far. “Steady, son,” Heero soothed as he held the gray in check. “There's a nasty turn after this one and then we have the triple to contend with.”
 
Shini cocked back an ear and allowed his stride to be checked. He gathered himself together, the energy all focusing in his hind end as he eyes off the gate. Judging his take off point, Shini lengthened out and leapt into the air.
 
The gate was cleared successfully, Heero's hand, seat and leg right there to check the stallion and turn him to the left to bring them on track for the formidable looking triple.
 
“I don't think I can watch,” Duo muttered.
 
Joe gave the vet a grin. “It's okay, Doctor Maxwell, they're doing great.”
 
Duo took the words on face value, but he still felt as nervous as hell! Shoving his hands into his pockets to save his fingernails, Duo watched through half closed eyes as Hero brought his horse around to the triple.
 
Gray ears came forward, Shini sizing up the three elements before him. He picked his take off point and allowed his master to guide him forward.
 
Heero's fingers closed on the reins, holding the forward movement and building up the impulsion. Shinigami felt like a coiled spring beneath him, just waiting to be unleashed. Keeping his attention completely focused on the jump ahead, Heero sat deep and held the horse until the last moment; then he went forward, let his hands slide slightly up the gray neck and followed the movement of the animal.
 
Shini bounded forward, drove his hind quarters right underneath himself and launched into the air. Forelegs tucked neatly underneath as he left the ground and sailed over the first element. He landed and immediately gathered himself together in the one stride he had before his hind hooves were biting into the turf once more and pushing his bulk up and over the second element. Landing on the other side, he had two strides to get his impulsion back before the third element was on top of them. Shini shortened his stride a touch and then with muscles straining, he leapt into the air again, body in a perfect arc as he flew over the third element.
 
They landed clean, Heero sparing a moment to give the gray, sweating neck a quick pat. “Good boy,” He praised as he gathered up the reins and sat deep into the saddle. “Not many more to go now.”
 
“Beautifully ridden,” Treize commented with a big smile.
 
Duo opted to say nothing, right now he didn't trust his voice as he was to on edge.
 
From the triple Heero made a slight, left turn to line them up for jump eight, the fancy planks. Shini gave a snort when he spotted the jump, he wasn't overly keen on planks, but the firm legs of his master pushing him forward changed his mind about stopping and he lengthened out his stride and cleared it easily.
 
Another left turn saw them approaching the oxer, a wide and high jump. Heero knew he had to have Shini together for this one and rode his horse with even more determination. Sensing the importance of this jump, Shini gathered himself together and literally flew over it.
 
“Keep it up, Shini,” Duo muttered under his breath, eyes glued to his lover and the brave gray.
 
Treize was now sitting upon Romeo and doing his best to keep still. It was hard not to 'ride' the course whilst watching his most talented pupil to date out there giving it his all.
 
Fence ten was successfully negotiated as was jump eleven; now all that remained between Heero and the finish flags was the 'closed' triple. Three poles all together standing five foot high with a spread of five foot three inches. It was the biggest jump on the course.
 
Knowing just how important it was that he didn't lose his concentration now, Heero rode his horse with every ounce of skill he possessed. Shini responded to the aids, shortening his stride and gathering his hind legs underneath him, effectively building up the impulsion he would need to clear the jump successfully.
 
Three strides away and Heero eased forward, applying the leg with vigor. Shini bounded forward, his hind quarters coming right underneath, muscles bunched and strained as those powerful hind legs launched the stallion into the air. They flew up, Shini's legs tucked neatly underneath, colored poles flashing beneath a gray belly before front legs came out and hooves bit deep to absorb the shock of impact.
 
As soon as all four of Shini's hooves were on the ground, Heero was pushing the gray towards the finish flags.
 
“Clear round for Heero Yuy and Shinigami,” came the commentator's voice.
 
“Yes! Way to go, Shini,” Duo cheered from the collecting ring. His smile widened into a broad grin as Heero exited the ring and rode straight over to them. “Congratulations, Heero,” Duo enthused, only just stopping himself from throwing his arms around his lover and kissing him senseless.
 
“That was a great round, Heero,” Treize congratulated. “Well ridden, neat and accurate. Any tips?”
 
Heero dismounted and smiled at Duo. “Thank you,” he replied and then turned his attention to Treize. “It rides okay providing you have the horse's attention at all times. The turn from eight to nine is a little sharp so be wary of that. Otherwise, it flows well.”
 
“Thanks.” Treize turned back to the ring to watch the eighth rider competing and give the vet and other rider a little time alone.
 
“You looked good out there, Shini,” Duo praised the gray stallion and offered a carrot.
 
Shini wuffled delightedly and took the offered vegetable, crunching it happily.
 
“I'll show you later just how proud of you I am,” Duo promised Heero with a warm smile.
 
“I don't know if I can wait that long,” Heero teased.
 
“Sorry, but you'll have to,” came the reply, along with a cheeky smirk.
 
The eighth rider had two fences down and came out with eight faults. Now it was Treize's turn.
 
The ginger haired rider was wished the usual good luck before Duo, Heero and Joe moved closer tot he rails to watch how Treize fared.
 
Keeping in mind what Heero had said about the course, Treize took another look at it as he rode towards the judge to salute. The bell rang and Treize was on his way.
 
Romefeller was going along nicely, he'd finally gotten those long legs of his to all work properly and at the same time - all that work over canter poles and grids had proved their weight in gold in his education. Jumps one to six were all cleared easily, Romeo looking like he was simply enjoying another day in the schooling paddock at home.
 
Collecting the horse up, Treize concentrated on the looming triple. The hard part would be in keeping Romeo's striding right and the horse balanced. Treize used all his knowledge and skills to keep the bay together, applying just enough leg when needed and adjusting his own center of balance accordingly.
 
They cleared the first element, landed and within a stride were launching into the air again. Part B was similarly cleared before Romeo touched down, took two strides and shot into the air once more. All three elements remained standing and Romeo was cantering away with his ears pricked and looking for the next jump.
 
Heero's words regarding the tight turn came back to Treize and he was careful to check the bay's forward movement, slowing him a fraction and concentrating the energy in those powerful hind quarters.
 
Jump eight was easily dealt with and as soon as Romeo had his hooves back on the turf, his rider was shortening his stride and asking him to turn. The bay stallion obliged, making a nice turn and spotting the jump ahead, he began to pull.
 
“Steady,” Treize soothed as he held the rein and kept the eager horse from expending his energy prancing instead of jumping. They cleared the oxer and turned for jump ten which was similarly cleared.
 
“Two more to go,” Heero breathed.
 
“Romeo looks like he's enjoying himself,” Duo commented.
 
“He's a lot like Shini,” Heero replied. “He loves to jump.”
 
“Always a bonus,” Duo snickered.
 
“Most definitely,” Heero laughed.
 
Romeo cantered on to the wall and jumped it easily, only the triple remained. Treize once more collected his horse, sitting deep into the saddle, holding the forward momentum and building the impulsion. Three strides away he let the bay go.
 
Romeo's long legs ate up the ground, his back legs coming under and pushing him into the air. One minute the poles were in front of them and the next, Romeo was sailing cleanly over, touching down on the other side and galloping for the finish.
 
“Clear round for Treize Kushrenada riding Romefeller,” the commentator announced.
 
In the collecting ring, the three men all congratulated Treize and Romeo, Duo feeding the bay a couple of carrots, much to Shini's disgust. Those were his carrots! He let his displeasure be known too by giving Duo a soft nip on the arm.
 
“Ow!” Duo yelped and rubbing his arm, turned his annoyed face to the innocent looking gray. “What the hell was that for?”
 
“I'd say he's jealous of you feeding Romeo his carrots,” Heero said.
 
“If he's going to do that sort of thing he can damn well go without any more carrots,” Duo groused.
 
Treize and Joe laughed as Shini nudged the vet gently, politely asking for more carrots.
 
With a sigh, Duo caved in. He never could resist those liquid, brown eyes, whether they be Zero or Shini.
 
The next two riders to go each made faults and then the final rider went in to complete a clear round.
 
“Ladies and gentlemen, we have four riders with clear rounds that will proceed through to the jump off. The course will now be adjusted and the riders given a few minutes in which to walk it before the jump off will commence.”
 
~ * ~
 
tbc...